Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Old Navy goin' tiki???

Pages: 1 22 replies

Just got a call from Old Navy and they're going to use some of our images in an upcoming commercial. I said ok, but am I the only one who thinks their current Green Acres 'mercials are pretty lame!?

The Dating Game ones are worse.

Glad you're gonna benefit financially (one would hope) from this, but it does twist my gut a bit.

M

Hopefully it won't make it to air! lol

I haven't seen the Green Acres Commercials in along time. Now its the Dating Game!

On 2003-04-16 18:00, purple jade wrote:
The Dating Game ones are worse.

I miss Carrie Donovan!

K

what the hell is old navy anyway - it's sub-target quality clothing marketed as "cool." & Why the hell do people want to wear that logo when it's the equivalent of hanging a sign around your neck saying "i can't afford to shop at the gap."

All true soul daddies get their clothes from Ambercrombie and Finch. They are soooo cool.

K

As a medical student & former oil painter, I appreciate the male form, but not enough to shop at a&f. Some details are meant for the privacy of the home, the clinical sterility of the doctor's office, or the objectification of the art gallery. If you're going to put up giant billboards of male genetalia thinly clad by a layer of tight cotton underwear where I have to look at it, whether you're calvin klein or a&f, I shall have to enter my protest by boycotting your establishment.
I'm just not ready for a society where the outline of the glans of the penis is as oft sighted as nipples through blouses.

Smogbreather:

Props to you for improving Old Navy's commercials by use of tiki props.

I like the use of the tiki mugs in the frito-lay/pepsi "how you watch the game" commercial.

Kahukini:

You need to prescribe yourself a
chill pill. Sex sells.

Besides, it could be worse. People could actually wear A&F clothing,
much of which looks like it was recycled from someone's trash can.

Maybe Smogbreather can help A&F see the light, also.

T

I like Old Navy, just cause when I go in there, I think, OK, now that's what clothes REALLY should cost. I wouldn't buy anything that says OLD NAVY across the chest or anything, but my husband has lots of crazy tiki boxer shorts and I got some hula girl pyjamas there. It's pretty good for stuff like that. To me, shpping at Old Navy doesn't say 'I can't afford to shop at the GAP', it says 'I'm not dumb enough to pay GAP prices'. haha!

About three or four years ago they had a lot of different Tiki patterned boxer shorts that were quite cool. And a T-shirt modelled after the blue August Holland painting.
But they shot for their catalog last year at The Tropics in Palm Springs, and for some reason (ignorance?) avoided having any Tikis in it.

D

I don't know what's worse: Old Navy going tiki or Jimmy Buffet going Tiki. Maybe Buffet will have Old Navy sponsoring his upcoming 'tiki' tour. Match made in hell fer sure! :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-17 08:35 ]

I've never worried about being a fashion poodle. My off-work attire doesn't really change much - thongs (on my feet that is!), board shorts, and a t-shirt with an aloha shirt over it. The surfer's uniform.

Holden, good luck with the dealio and getting your stuff out into the mainstream. However, those lame ass commercials are one of the reasons I refuse to get cable. Also, what is cool about boxer shorts with tikis on them? They sound stupid and tacky to me no matter what the price or where you get them. Kinda like one of those not tiki gifts you get from somebody who is trying to give you something tiki. Dont get me wrong I dont mind tiki on clothing just not on the clothing that is right next to my ass. It just seems wrong to me. I would spend the money on about a jillion other things at the jerk store before I bought tiki boxer shorts.
Whew, I guess I am runnin' a little hot today. No offence meant to any one or there undergarments.
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-04-17 10:13 ]

On 2003-04-17 08:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
About three or four years ago they had a lot of different Tiki patterned boxer shorts that were quite cool. And a T-shirt modelled after the blue August Holland painting.
But they shot for their catalog last year at The Tropics in Palm Springs, and for some reason (ignorance?) avoided having any Tikis in it.

Do you mean J. Crew? Or Old Navy?

Banana Republic, GAP, and Old Navy are all owned by the same company. The Fisher family. But I guess everyone knows that.

On 2003-04-17 10:12, Chongolio wrote:
Also, what is cool about boxer shorts with tikis on them? They sound stupid and tacky to me no matter what the price or where you get them. It just seems wrong to me.
Whew, I guess I am runnin' a little hot today. No offence meant to any one or there undergarments.

We should all be happy that underwear is being worn, whether adorned with tikis or not. I used to work with two disgusting people who never wore underwear or took a bath, and it was a nightmare. The woman insisted on wearing short miniskirts and believe me she was in no way thin or hot. They guy would wear pants that were threadbare, and I'd have to turn my head away when speaking with him. And no, I wasnt working in a homeless shelter, it was a lawfirm of all places. Thankfully the tiki gods answered my prayers and I got another job.

It sounds as though many of us are alternate thinkers here at TC.

Consider this, if everyone else liked tiki, would we?

We can thank the Old Navy's, Gaps and other mainstream clothing lines for luring off many of the other grunion in the sea and giving us the opportunity to shop for that rare aloha shirt at a thrift store and feel like we are "slightly" different than everyone else.

If any of you are at all like me then you pick cool things out for a couple of reasons:

1- because those things are cool 2- because not everyone else thinks those things are cool.

my $.02

Da Monkeyman

[i]
We can thank the Old Navy's, Gaps and other mainstream clothing lines for luring off many of the other grunion in the sea and giving us the opportunity to shop for that rare aloha shirt at a thrift store and feel like we are "slightly" different than everyone else.

Plus, you could probably unload your spare Leilanis on 'em for $25 each!

Note: This was posted for humorous intent. It in no way encourages unscrupulous mug-scalping, as that would not be in the Aloha Spirit. I beg the gods for mercy, I don't want to die in a tragic flaming cocktail accident. Or get shafted myself.

(Hey does anybody remember the Flaming Scottish Pubes incident?)

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-04-17 17:04 ]

[i]Dont get me wrong I dont mind tiki on clothing just not on the clothing that is right next to my ass. It just seems wrong to me.

Y'know, that's a good point. IS it insulting that tikis appear on underwear? I mean, a lot of folks in the bible belt would FREAK if Old Navy put Jesus on boxer shorts, right?

Stirrin' it up...

Okay, I guess religious-themed underwear are fair game...

T

What many of you seem to be forgeting, as you laugh at me and my Old Navy pyjamas, is that tiki was never 'underground' or 'cool' in it's heyday - in fact, tiki was readily available in the 60's versions of Target and The Gap - Paul Marshall Mugs were sold by the bucketloads at Palleys, and there were even Soap-On-A-Rope tikis, fer chrissakes. Trader Vic's wasn't exactly considered counter-culture, either. So don't get all high and mighty just cause you only buy 'vintage' tiki stuff - your vintage tikis might have been sold at K-Mart!

Love,
Evil capitalist fishy :)

Excellent point and eloquently put, Fishy O' The Great White North.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-04-08 13:06 ]

F

I still have my pair of old navy tiki boxers- never wore them.. however, I never saw an August Holland based Tshirt! Id love to see a pic- anyone got one of those?

Pages: 1 22 replies