Name:Tropics Inn
Type:motel
Street:525 W Fourth Street
City:Reno
State:NV
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I just got this oversized postcard from the Tropics Inn located in Reno, Nevada.

Not much in the way of a TIPSY factor, but it had a great sign with poly-pop flair and tiki torches. The architecture of the porte cochere is great with the exposed beams and rock walls,

There were a lot of nice little features added to the standard motel building.

The building is still there as the Crest Inn (no sign), but is being dwarfed by a new high-rise motel structure next door.

DC

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 3, 2009 6:52 AM

That entry! Amazing that a one-off little motel can be so unique. What happened to architecture? I suppose they all decided this was ugly and awful or something in the schools...

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 3, 2009 6:52 AM

That entry! Amazing that a one-off little motel can be so unique. What happened to architecture? I suppose they all decided this was ugly and awful or something in the schools...

T

Thanks for posting that!!! I drive by that building every so often, and always thought that it could have tiki-inspired origins. This answers my question. Unfortunately it's now a flea-bag weekly motel, but at least the structure survives.

T

Swanky, you can say that again :P

Seriously,Since the early 70's, Architecture has really devolved right along with Tiki. Signage took a little longer, but devolved even faster. Inventive signage is a dead issue now.

Pages: 1 4 replies