Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bigbro or Keigs + The Genius of Witco

Pages: 1 3 replies

Well, I took my new Witco pieces apart today to clean the fabric of it's wall paint splatters (which supsequently turned into holes even after a gentle washing). What most amazed me about these carvings (The second and third Witco pieces I have come across) is the presentation is so ingenius. It looks very classy cosmetically...the secret: The backing boards were actually drop-in ceiling tile! (Yes, the one was already cracked). Both still have the item number on back. The fabric was cheap surplus beige cotton ticking! These had been re-framed in the late 80's, apparently, judging by the modern Larson-Juhl type moulding. A question to Bigbro or Keigs....Were these two ever offered without the backing board? Also If I fashioned a new Witco-like moulding to bring them back to snuff should I go for similar vintage ticking or were they ever offered with leopard? And what does the "P" stand for in the item number?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-17 22:17 ]

K

Bk- Here are a few pictures of your pieces. Yours are called Primitic male and female item #p-7b and p-7a. It says they were offered mounted and unmounted. I found one other background style. They have a different item # w-45 w-50 and are called Polynesian maid and warrior. I could not find any more styles but that does not mean there isnt any.

Neat! Thanks, Keigs...Bigbro indicated to me that the below piece was also from the Primitic line, which makes a nice combo with these two. I think I'd be tempted to leave them unmounted now, as this fabric was pretty far gone and one of the boards had a serious crack as you can tell. What would you do as far as this goes?

K

Tough choice since they are marked on the back and so much Witco is not marked. I dont really know what I would do. Probably throw a background over the old fabric and make a burnt cedar frame.

Pages: 1 3 replies