Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tahiti Motel, Wildwood Crest, NJ (motel)

Pages: 1 9 replies

M
Mo-Eye posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 3:39 AM

Name:Tahiti Motel
Type:motel
Street:7411 Atlantic Avenue
City:Wildwood Crest
State:NJ
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

M
Mo-Eye posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 4:04 AM

I thought this one deserved a place in Locating - one of my favorite signs! Opened in 1963 and was torn down December 2004. There were a lot of images on the web.

Motel in all its original glory :down:

Swimming Pool :down:

Balcony :down:

Night Shot :down:

Room Interior :down:

Brochure :down:

Postcard :down:

De-evolution of the motel and sign :down:

Even worse :down:

Sign finally on the ground :down:

now where is that sign?? i wanna buy it and hang it on the back of my garage all lit up so i can see it from my tiki room......

Mo-Eye,

Nice photo research.

You forgot to inlcude Sabu's $100 postcard.

(see Tiki Modern page 302)

DC

M

I saw the thread about his $100 postcard, but didn't know what it looked like.

Thanks DC!

I love this place, it's a classic. I would also like to buy that sign if i had the chance.

According to the book "Doo Wop Motels" by Kirk Hastings, The Tahiti is regarded as one of the best examples of Polynesian architecture in the Wildwoods. The Wildwoods being a series of 4 towns on a seven mile barrier Island close to the southern end of the state.

Mo, you picked some fantastic pictures for this post, good job.

Thanks Mo-Eye for getting this thread started with the nice images and history.

I guess it's about time I got around to posting a nice scan of that famous $100 postcard. Here it is:

Admittedly, this stellar image deserved a better spot than in the translation section in Tiki Modern, but the horizontal wide shot of the place won out for representing the "drive-to-Tahiti" concept more fittingly.

On 2009-11-19 00:02, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I guess it's about time I got around to posting a nice scan of that famous $100 postcard. Here it is:

Finally, the $100 baby in all its glory!

Thanks for the post Sabu.

DC

Here is the $3 postcard with the dame view that Mo Eye posted, sans the watermark.

And I spotted this ashtray from the Tahiti Motel with a quizzical looking Tiki figure.

DC

Pages: 1 9 replies