Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

skootiki's carving log

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 532 replies

S

eleven feet tall in the ground. The biggest one that I've carved so far. I had a hard time getting a lot of detail in him. I'll probably go back and do a little more work on the head-dress ( my ladder wasn't tall enough).

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2014 7:50 AM

Nice Skoo!

S

added some more detail....I'm calling this guy done!

I think I'll go back to carving some 3 footers for awhile.

H

Nice carving and it looks perfect in its setting.

Great pics! The eleven footer looks great in that setting. I would love to go to one of your outings but the drive would be murder!

S

found this 10" piece of palm frond/driftwood on the beach....some people like to read a book on the beach or take a nap. I'd rather do a little whittlin'

working on this guy now that I'm back home

maybe I carved a little too deep...we'll see

Nice to see a "bump" on your thread, lots of cool stuff :)

Good luck with the current project, some would say you can never go to deep.

S

burnt a little with a coat of poly.....42" tall and ready to go!
I'll bring him with me to the International TiKi Marketplace this Saturday 7/19/14

I finished carving this little guy on Friday , burnt him and added a coat of rub on poly.....I couldn't decide if he was too odd for anyone to appreciate, but I took him with me anyways to the International TiKi Marketplace today. He ended up going home with a customer who is getting a good sized collection of my TiKis (this one makes #4). Thanks again Ken

nice! congrats on your sale....not much of a market here in Pennsylvania

S

Heading to the International TiKi Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach with these guys and some more

S

the big guy in the middle is Chief #5 (mexican fan palm)
The guys surrounding him are carved from 6x6 cedar and 4 of them will be legs for my friends craps table.
They were fun to carve....I think I'll do some more

Projects like that are fun.
That's going to be some table.
Good job.

S

trying my hand at carving some smaller stuff ...this one is redwood 4x4 8"tall
I'd like to incorporate something like this into a design for the legs of a coffee table or small side table

S

working on a 3 legged side table carved from redwood 4x4's

it'll be 2 tiered with doug fir tops....all carved, sanded, burnt & varnished
ready to assemble tomorrow I hope

S

Liking the modern take on traditional Tiki forms, Skootman.

N

nice

Very cool.

H

Nice work.

S

sort of a goofy triple palm frond mask with some rope, bambooand a little paint

I think you're getting the hang of this.

T

Nice furniture skills, Skoo!

S

a Redwood Moai on a Queen Palm canoe wall hanger

You are getting the hang of this.
I better be careful what I say to you.
Good job.

S

thanks for the nice comments.....I'm havin' fun and tryin' different ideas with TiKi carving. There's a lot of great inspiration to learn from in the TiKi art world and I've picked up so much help here on TC

I just browsed a good bit of this thread and its really interesting to see your evolution as a carver. That stuff on pg 27 is wild. LOVE it. I see the Bosko influence. Super RAD!

S

Thanks Aloha Texas Tiki Co, I love carving TiKis and I'm constantly being inspired by other carvers....plus it helps when they share some of their tool choices and techniques. I carved my first TiKi with a cheap,dull chainsaw and a dull carpenters chisel but I was hooked right away.

S

Nice work shoo. Can you post some different angles?

S

This one just sold and I don't know if I had many photos of him from other angles....I'll search and see what I come up with.

S

a slightly different view

S

here's a new one. 43" tall Mexican fan palm. Trying something different with the head-dress.

N

Nice thread thank you for posting

On 2014-07-16 18:59, skootiki wrote:

burnt a little with a coat of poly.....42" tall and ready to go!
I'll bring him with me to the International TiKi Marketplace this Saturday 7/19/14

Did you ever wind up selling this guy? Love him

S

He's still available.....right now, he's in a shop in Palm Springs "Just Modern". I'll be vending at TiKi Caliente in May.......so, if he hasn't sold by then I'll bring him with me.

S

might be the wrong thread for this post.....I carved this little TiKi awhile ago and BAI TIKI liked it and thought it would make a nice TiKi Mug.
Well.....I think she did a great job and I couldn't be happier with it.She says that it'll be available soon.

S

here's a photo of the original

C
cy posted on Sat, Mar 21, 2015 8:51 AM

Awesome Skoo, make sure you bring some to Caliente.

S

here's a picture of the Beatnik style Tiki at TiKi Oasis on the wooden base that I built for him.
I think he's a little more impressive elevated off the floor a bit. I saw a lot of people taking selfies with him at Oasis, but haven't seen many of them posted.

The mug came out great!

Impressive.
Bai never made a mug from one of my Tikis.

S

this tiki was inspired by the poster for the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland

drawn out and ready to start carving

that's it for today....still a long way to go

S

a little more progress on this carving today
the lower section
the upper section

N

thats deep thank you for posting

how about a Bumatay Bob?

S