Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

On 2010-09-06 11:28, tikiyaki wrote:

I always look for photos of the Waikikian and Tahitian Lanai online but can never find any...

There are also plenty of photos in my book Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs from the Wimberly, Allison, Tong, and Goo archives. Posted this shot in another thread but it fits here too.

• Edward M. Brownlee minimalistic telephone pole carving at the remnants of the Waikikian Hotel Main Lobby in 1997.*

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-10-13 12:37 ]

cant wait I could so use the reference material for todays project

On 2010-10-15 15:55, bongofury wrote:
Check out this shirt!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-TIKI-Aloha-Shirt-WAIKIKIAN-HOTEL-Hawaii-A-FRAME-/160376583789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255730766d

the shirt is lovely... I've admired it for quite a while... but I can't afford the $250 price tag!

On 2010-10-15 15:55, bongofury wrote:
A piece of the lobby check in desk found it's way here...

Where is "here"?

T

Yea, you'd think after a year of it being $250, he'd have lowered the price...but NO !

I like it too, but not for 250 clams !

H

On 2010-04-08 16:27, Dustycajun wrote:
I picked up a brochure from the Waikikian with some nice images.

Here is the cover, which is a painting by Hawaiian artist Lloyd Sexton that used to hang in the lobby.

Where's the painting now? We need to find it so we can make prints of it!

Here it is in its full glory, I think this print was separated from part of a Lloyd Sexton collection. He's more famous for his nature and landscapes of Hawaii.

Very nice! Thanks Naugatiki. I need to track down a copy of that!

So there are prints of this? I saw the original in situ at the Waikikian, and have coveted ever since. It is such a master work of Polynesian pop:
THE modernist A-frame, but in an idyllic island setting, like it is a native hut! I have never seen a copy of it, or it would have surely made it into the A-frame chapter of Tiki Modern.

WHERE did you see that framed version? Are you sure it's a print?

B

Man, what place!

I went ahead and took the liberty of posting a few of those pictures off of that eBay sale here just so the reference images didn't get lost after the auction ended.

I think if I owned this shirt, I might frame it and hang it on the wall. It sure as hell wouldn't fit.
:)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-10-16 17:22 ]

I think maybe a new version of the fabric might be in order. A couple different color schemes and views of the building. I'm knee deep in Waikikian paintings right now. It would look good as a boarder print

On 2010-10-16 06:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
So there are prints of this? I saw the original in situ at the Waikikian, and have coveted ever since. It is such a master work of Polynesian pop:
THE modernist A-frame, but in an idyllic island setting, like it is a native hut! I have never seen a copy of it, or it would have surely made it into the A-frame chapter of Tiki Modern.

WHERE did you see that framed version? Are you sure it's a print?

It is a print, this one hangs in the back room. I framed it trying to mimic the shark tooth motif of the building and ravi lobby. It measures about 20 X 26. I’ve seen one before several years ago on auction but was outbid and when this one came on a few months back I didn’t let it slip through my fingers. I wish I knew more if its origin. It would be nice to hear it was available at Jill’s Gift Shop in the gardens. It is dated 1968 on the bottom left by the signature. It is romanticized to the point of having an ocean in front of the building rather than the reality of the traffic of Ala Moana Blvd that was normally there, Artifice, where would poly pop be without it?

Artist rendering postcard .

On 2010-10-16 10:53, naugatiki wrote:
It is a print, this one hangs in the back room. I framed it trying to mimic the shark tooth motif of the building and ravi lobby. It measures about 20 X 26. I’ve seen one before several years ago on auction but was outbid and when this one came on a few months back I didn’t let it slip through my fingers. I wish I knew more if its origin. It would be nice to hear it was available at Jill’s Gift Shop in the gardens. It is dated 1968 on the bottom left by the signature. It is romanticized to the point of having an ocean in front of the building rather than the reality of the traffic of Ala Moana Blvd that was normally there, Artifice, where would poly pop be without it?

Oh, Gregg, so you're the one that I was bidding against for this print! I was devastated to lose it, but at least now I know that it went to a good home!
~kele

On 2010-10-16 09:15, Sophista-tiki wrote:
I think maybe a new version of the fabric might be in order. A couple different color schemes and views of the building. I'm knee deep in Waikikian paintings right now. It would look good as a boarder print

Dawn, that would be so fantastically wonderful!
~kele

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.