Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Share your Papua New Guinea pieces

Pages: 1 2 3 142 replies

Here's the PNG trio occupying some wall space in our house...

This one, a Sepik Hook Mask, was a gift from my parents a bunch of years ago;
It's definitely older, but was picked up at an antique mall in a town in downstate
Illinois that's known to be home to a lot of missionaries. Perhaps this came back with
some missionary back in the 60's or 70's...Seashells for eyes, and along the perimeter of
the mask. The "hair" sticking out of the top seems to be some kind of plant fiber...

Several years later, we snagged this small shield in a different shop:

And most recently, this (likely the oldest of our trio) came from an estate sale with
many PNG and African artifacts. The guy we bought it from said it seemed like most
dated back to the 50's, 60's, or possibly earlier. I assume he was basing that date
on everything else in the sale- he was definitely not proficient in antiquities. Regardless,
this guy looks totally creepy and bad ass... we love it!

--Pete

HT

I've never seen a spirit hook that has that face mask with it. It looks almost like two different pieces were put together. Very cool.

This newbie in the center of the picture came wandering in a bunch of months ago (apologies; I am extremely terrible about posting anything on here...working to rectify that...)

He's about 20" tall and came from an estate sale; tag says it dates back to 1947, but I highly doubt that...seems like most PNG artifacts that have found their way into the US marketplace could've been made in the 1980's but LOOK like they date back a century. If I had to guess, I'd say late 70's, early 80's, but still... it's a spirit figure, and extremely well made.

The price was right either way- we love 'im! He doesn't cause too much of a ruckus.

--Pete

This thread got bumped, and I found 2 pieces this weekend, so it's time for an update. Here are the pieces that I've added to the permanent collection since my post on page one of this thread:

20" Figure and 15" hand mask

24" Oceanic Arts wall hanger

12-13" wall hangers

32" and 21" hangers

Fork and spoon set:

Tobriand Islands finger drum and croc:

Buzzy Out!

Wow Buzzy, the fork and spoon are insanely amazing!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 8:56 AM

My PNG dealer in Bloomington Indiana is headed out on a buying trip middle of this month. If you want something specific, let me know and he can search it out for you. The shipment should be here in October and I am planning an expedition to visit once it is all ready.

HT

On 2013-07-02 08:56, Swanky wrote:
My PNG dealer in Bloomington Indiana is headed out on a buying trip middle of this month. If you want something specific, let me know and he can search it out for you. The shipment should be here in October and I am planning an expedition to visit once it is all ready.

I think that's the same guy I've bought stuff from! I've got some fantastic pieces from him. Really great stuff. And reasonable. Hmmm. I'll have to do some thinking on that.

I would love to get my hands on some PNG items, but they always seem very expensive and I'm not sure where to look other than on eBay or perhaps Etsy. Since I am just re-employed, my budget for things is ridiculously low. Are the PNG items usually seen on those sites about right or inflated?

Sorry, I know that is really general questions, but just trying to get an idea of what I might spend on a couple pieces. i really like some of the Gope boards and the Spirit Hooks seem to draw me in.

• Dale
HT

On 2013-07-02 09:43, littlegiles wrote:
I would love to get my hands on some PNG items, but they always seem very expensive and I'm not sure where to look other than on eBay or perhaps Etsy. Since I am just re-employed, my budget for things is ridiculously low. Are the PNG items usually seen on those sites about right or inflated?

Sorry, I know that is really general questions, but just trying to get an idea of what I might spend on a couple pieces. i really like some of the Gope boards and the Spirit Hooks seem to draw me in.

• Dale

The guy in Indiana sells on ebay, and has reasonable prices. If you're buying a few pieces, he's even more reasonable. And he seems like a heck of a guy. I found reference to him, and his shipping crate of PNG stuff on an old site from like, 2007. It would seem that almost certainly, he's the guy Swanky is referring to. Really beautiful stuff, all in pretty decent condition (expect SOME age), and like I said. Reasonable. You have to respect that, considering the amount of time and work that goes into bringing that amount of PNG stuff back.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2013 9:26 AM

He sells on Ebay as auau. He keeps the prices low to get more of the art to the people.

HT

On 2013-07-03 09:26, Swanky wrote:
He sells on Ebay as auau. He keeps the prices low to get more of the art to the people.

That's the guy! Won't buy a PNG piece from anyone other tham him ever again if I can help it. Can't say enough nice things.

Thanks guys. He is the person on Ebay I have been looking at. Might have to wait for a bit, but at least now I know who to turn to and trust.

• Dale

Forgot to put up this bad boy...

My folks found it someplace in rural Wisconsin (go figure)

It's almost 6ft tall:

Story is that it came over from PNG with a bunch of other
artifacts. It was purchased directly from the guy that made it.

Now have a line of defense against spear attacks.

--Pete

Z

Kandingai spirit mask.

P

That picture kind of makes it look like it's picking it's nose.

Z

Ha! Yeah, that's a fish coming out of his nose :)

K

Advertised in Perth, Western Australia - 22nd August.

Would probably make the kids think twice about hanging out in your Tiki room
when you're not at home.

I would be more than happy to act as middle man for anyone interested.

The owner seems to have quite a collection and I'll add any others that come to light.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clarkson/other-antiques-art-collectables/skull-authentic-asmat-ancestory/1026172120
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clarkson/other-antiques-art-collectables/skull-asmat-ancestory-genuine/1026175791

Pictures in case ads disappear:
$10,500 AUD Edit: Price markdown - 24th August - $9,500 AUD negotiable.

$8,500 AUD Edit: Price markdown - 24th August - $8,000 AUD negotiable.

[ Edited by: komohana 2013-08-23 17:41 ]

HT

Why is the second one less?!?!? It's GORGEOUS.

Z

Snake eats croc eats snake kundu.

S

For anyone interested, I am thinking we'll take a road trip to Bloomington in October as a new shipping container arrives from PNG. I don't have a lot of room left, but am looking for a few things. If you want to join me, please send me a PM. Once it becomes "official", I'll make it an event and spread the word more.

Z

Imposing at 3 feet tall, hard to capture it close up.

The bottom half of the cowries and clay were gone. My first attempt to restore one of these. Got the shells online, brown & black acrylic paint and some brown clay from Micheal's. Oh, and some hard-to-find little shells from Auau (thanks!)

Some pendants and a ?????

i dig seeing everybody's crazy png items. i have a few cool things made out of animal parts.

cassowary bone daggers 9" to 16"

croc head necklace

monkey skull with boar tusks and rib? bones necklace

kangaroo skull with cassowary claws and feathers necklace
and some wood pieces

spirit figure 4' tall

slit drum 6'6" long

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2014-02-17 18:49 ]

Awesome collection you have there Bullet!

thanks erik. you too. i really dig that canoe prow on page 3.

Great stuff KTD!

Why is it that I can totally picture you wearing those necklaces while you are chilling at home :wink:

UT

I picked this guy up a few years back. I just got around to taking a good look at it and researching what it was used for. A big part of collecting for me is finding out as much as I can about an item. I'm no expert just curious. It appears to be an Aripa, also called a Kamanggabi from the Arambak people. They live in they Korewori river area of the lower Sepik region. Here is a description of how they carving was used.

"Aripa are considered living beings who communicate with men and animals. Male Aripa help initiated men in hunting and warfare. Some are owned by individuals and some by clans. The sculptures may have been placed in the caves in memory of their owners or to accompany the bones of the deceased along with other bone mementos from successful hunts and wars.

Before a hunt, a man smears his carving with his own blood and animal excrement. Red betel nut juice might be spit on the carving. These actions appeal to the Aripa for help. That night, the invisible soul of the Aripa hunts. If the hunter's plea was successful, the Aripa will later direct him to his prey. The hunter presents the Aripa with bits of the meat after the kill. Similar rituals were used for war."

The beauty of the carving it's what caught my eye at first and I was sure it was a PNG piece. The dollar price tag seal the deal. I have read that these carvings were smoked to give them a weather resistant coating and this one has a nice coating. Has nice wear along the back wear it has been held over time. It's one of my favorite pieces I my collection and displayed proudly in the bar.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-03-02 04:23 ]

I have had this for a while. It's about 18 inches long and it is also a yipwon spirit figure. I made the mistake of washing what I thought was grime off of it. It was black when I got.

BK

Picked this mask up a couple of weeks ago.

M

Now that is a mask!

U

Picked this mask up today at a flea market. From what I can gather on the net it is a Savi style mask from the middle Sepik River region, possibly village of Tambunam (sp?). It's about 15" long. Age? I would appreciate any other info anyone can offer. Thanks.

Wow! Great find UkuTiki. Unfortunately I do not have any insights to share on this piece other than...simply amazing.

D

On 2014-12-07 18:19, ukutiki wrote:
It's about 15" long.

I have a cleaner looking one than yours that's only about 12" tall:

I never did any research on it...
Buzzy Out!

U

Buzzy,

Here is my source for identifying the mask: http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/maskspko.htm

Great mask but the important thing is that mine is bigger than yours :)

Mele Kalikimaka

ukutiki

I'm going for the themed room look by grouping my collection by geography. here's the PNG part of my Tahiti, palau, and PNG room

buzzy Out!

And the Buzzy museum is up n running...

On 2015-10-18 17:45, hang10tiki wrote:
And the Buzzy museum is up n running...

I'm going to stop referring to them as bedrooms, and start calling them wings.
that last post was most of two walls, and part of another. the fourth wall of that room has my tv, the framed thor tiki carver print, and surfboards taking it up.it's not photographed in this post

here's the other part of the wall of that room with Tahitian and palau stuff.

hang10-my good pal liz said you and me are the only ones who care about tc anymore. I see it more like the Magnificent 7, with a few more of us here,than the odd couple. :wink:

Buzzy out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2015-10-19 01:51 ]

That's funny Buzzy! as Liz was harassing Jon, as only Liz can do, shortly before getting banned (true story) :D

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-19 22:01 ]

Hey Buzzy, What an amazing collection! That story board (top) on the Tahiti /Palua wall has a pretty bright blue river depicted from left to right. I took a couple of pix of some very brightly painted sb’s at the Polenesio in Havana. I have several painted sb’s by the same carver as the artist who carved that huge board you had at Oasis a few years ago. Mine had orange, green, and other hues-none as bright as the blues in the aforementioned river. The boards at the Polenesio were painted in colors as vivid as the blues on your board. At the time I first observed the boards in Havana I was sure that they had been (gasp) repainted. Now I am not so sure. Just an observation.
I damaged my camera during my visit to Cuba so the pic is lousy.I’m posting the pic to show the vividness of the paint. I know that most storyboards originated in prisons and the artists used whatever they could get but these are brighter than any I have seen.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-19 22:00 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-19 22:03 ]

This one has been pretty beat up but I intend to display it in my tiki room (indoors)

This may have been talked about before and i apologize if it has but I watched a great documentary last night on Netflix called " The search for Michael Rockefeller " and if you are a collector of PNG art you should check it out as he was involved in purchasing art from tribes in the area before he went missing and you will see in the doc a lot of great examples of carvings...huts ... canoes ... tapia ... and different tribes masks and art including the Asmat's. Pretty interesting and again ...chock full of PNG carvings!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-26 18:24 ]

These two are the only other ones I own, for now.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-26 18:24 ]

H

This collection belongs to an old friend, she is 85 years old. She and her husband have traveled all over the world since the early 60's. She must have hundreds of artifacts from all over the world that she has collected along the way. I love visiting her because she lives in a fabulous MCM house up in the hills in Tarzana that she bought in 1959 and she has not touched anything to change the house. This is part of her PNG collection.

S

In the last couple of years i've been fortunate to have been able to add a few really, really nice PNG pieces to my collection but i have to say that is probably the cream of the crop.

A woven mask from the Karawari River area, circa 1930. I got this, another woven mask from the same region and era, and a handful of spears for an absolute steal from the same seller. I doubt that i'll ever come across such a bargain again.

H

Amazing piece, any chance you can put pictures of the rest of your PNG pieces?

Pages: 1 2 3 142 replies