Phone:

Description:

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 2, 2009 4:35 AM

Vintage coaster

I love that illustration!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 8:38 AM

Gracias Tiki Shaker! I love the Nalik too!
I think this is another Spanish tiki original concept/take/design because I don't remember any U.S. tiki bar to use this tiki as a logo, not even as decor. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure it was not used here at any point in time. One of the main differences between American and Spanish Tiki culture is that its iconography has a heavy emphasis on Melanesian imagery, while American Tiki uses mostly Polynesian artifacts. That coaster from the Mauna Loa above is based on a Melanesian Uli ancestor carving:

One could say that Spanish Tiki is even more based on fantasy, as American Tiki related to its direct experience with neighboring Hawaii, but Spanish Tiki had no such direct inspiration --it was triggered by American Tiki, but then veered off on its own, apparently relying heavily on Melanesian art books, and the designers' imagination. That's why I like to compare it to a Cargo cult.

One of most telling examples of that fact is that I know of NO American Tiki bar that ever called itself a "Melanesian Bar", as the Bora Bora in Madrid did for a while:

(...while the border of the menu and the font are more Balinese in style !?)

Actually, Zeta, did you ever I.D. that carving in the center? Where is it from, and what is it? A canoe prow...?

American Tiki establishments always referred to themselves as Polynesian --even when they DID use Melanesian or Micronesian images for their logo:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-02-07 20:43 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:58 PM

Bigbro, your comparison with the cargo cult is really interesting and accurate!
The Bora Bora logo IS a prow and I did saw it in one of my books... I'll look for it, but I think it's in Jean Guiart's "Oceania".
And now...
I officially coin the term: "Melanesian Pop*"
Every time anyone ever use this term will have to write a small "*" giving me credit for the coining of the term.

*Term coined by Zeta

Very good! Too bad it doesn't have that catchy "P. P." double consonant effect..."Melanesian Mop" doesn't work..."Melanesian Mass"- culture? And how do we get the Spanish part into it? "Melanesian Mojo", perhaps? :D

"Mondo Melanesio" would be too esoteric, but it could be a chapter title perhaps...
Is there another Spanish word with M that works?

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 11:10 PM

Melanesian Milagro
Melanesian Melcancolico
Melanesian Marimba
Melanesian Malaga
Melanesian Macho
Melanesian Mucho
Melanesian M...

Melanesian Pop sounds cool, plus, it's a "subtle" nod to you and the Tiki Transmission Tradition. :wink:

Here's another cool chapter name for our book project: (drums)

Aloha from Spain!

Vintage postcard from a Hotel in Spain (Sorry for the small image!)

PNG-Pop, pronounced "Ping Pop"

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 11:22 PM

That's pretty cool Sabu! and works in both languages...
:( Please don't steal my opportunity to coin a term and by doing so, achieve tiki immortality! :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 11:54 PM

One more term I want to proclaim paternity of: (more drums...)

"Ethilic Explorer**" someone who experiences exotic drinks

WARNING: Every time anyone use this term, Zeta's legion of lawyers will demand his royalties.

**Term coined by Zeta

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 9:45 AM

The Nalik figure from New Ireland appears again in the shape of a vintage Spanish tiki mug side pockets.

WEIRD!!!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 3:07 PM

From the book " Art of the Pacific" by Anne D'Alleva
From the chapter: Island Melanesia: The path of peace (page 76)
53. Figure (nalik) New Ireland, Papua New Guinea.
Wood, Pigment, height 3'9 3/4 (1.16 m). Presented to the British Museum in 1936 by Mr. A Lockwood. British Museum, London.

The head is emphasized visually because this is where the individual's power lies.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 10:12 PM

Early Melanesian Pop*

MY MELANESIAN BRIDE OF TERROR

Man's action magazine.

*Term coined by Zeta

Pages: 1 13 replies