Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Silly Mike! nice racist graphic at the end too!
and I thought Reagan was just a bad actor!

Just off track a bit...
Went to L.A. yesterday,Stopped at the Farmers Market,Had Lunch at one of my favorite places "The Gumbo Pot"
for Cajun food,even brought back a "Muffaletta" for lunch today.

picked up a bottle of "Le Sirop de Monin" Premium Coconut syrup at a little gourmet shop for those "Painkillers"

stopped at Wacko/La Luz de Jesus Gallery and found a couple of rare Tiki farm mugs.
Then we had dinner at a great Little Chinese restaurant,Chi Dynasty.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-23 17:25 ]

Well this is a repeat meal I have posted before, but its slow tonight.

Huevos Rancheros, I like them with scrambled eggs so a bit of a change from the fried egg version.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-23 22:51 ]

Made some cocktails for desert and cheers to Tiki-Kate

Mrs.ATP had a Lapu Lapu and I had a Krakan Painkiller.

A

So sad! I was randomly surfing around tikicentral looking for helpful images yesterday, and came across the Tiki-Kate thread. I had no idea.
Again, sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace at the Great Luau in the Sky.

S

On 2010-09-23 12:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

picked up a bottle of "Le Sirop de Monin" Premium Coconut syrup at a little gourmet shop for those "Painkillers"

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-23 17:25 ]

How would you compare this to Coco Lopez?

Hey Swizzle,
The Coconut syrups are very sweet & have a more concentrated flavor, I recommend cutting back on the amount
you use of the syrup's compared to Coconut Cream (We are not talking about Coconut milk,which is not used in Tropical drinks)

I like the syrup's flavor better then the Coconut Creams (i.e. Coco Lopez)as a former Bartender,I only used the Coconut creams
in blended drinks like Pina Colada,Chi Chi's etc.

Trader Vics and many of the old Tiki Bars used syrups over Coconut creams.
But that said, availability of the Coconut mixers will dictate what you use.

Tonight the Tri-Tip roast came around again recycled as Machaca. Served with Sangria, Refried Beans and Special Quesadillas. An Imperial Valley specialty, Special Quesadillas are deep fried and puffy, like a jack cheese turnover (I used PEPPERJACK! :D ) They have been served at Mexican restaurants here for the 45 years I can remember, I'm sure they are served elsewhere by now - you can't keep something a secret this good for long!

On 2010-09-24 17:09, MadDogMike wrote:
Tonight the Tri-Tip roast came around again recycled as Machaca. Served with Sangria, Refried Beans and Special Quesadillas. An Imperial Valley specialty, Special Quesadillas are deep fried and puffy, like a jack cheese turnover (I used PEPPERJACK! :D ) They have been served at Mexican restaurants here for the 45 years I can remember, I'm sure they are served elsewhere by now - you can't keep something a secret this good for long!

Looks good Mike! So, the Special Quesadillas are kinda like empanadas my people would make? :D

My tiki art:
Tiki Tower
http://www.tikitower.com

...and my other art:
Zerostreet Illustrations
http://www.zerostreet.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2010-09-24 18:15 ]

Yes Rob, a cheese empanada. Cuba? Puerto Rico? I know they make some killer empanadas in the Caribbean with cream cheese and guava paste YUM!

On 2010-09-24 18:47, MadDogMike wrote:
Yes Rob, a cheese empanada. Cuba? Puerto Rico? I know they make some killer empanadas in the Caribbean with cream cheese and guava paste YUM!

Yeah, my parent's landed in Brooklyn NY in '58 from Cuba. Don't tell my father but I prefer Colombian empanadas!

A

cream cheese and guava swoon

On 2010-09-24 19:01, amybean wrote:
cream cheese and guava swoon

Cream cheese and guava is practically a staple in any cuban kitchen! And partially to blame for my "well rounded" character!! :)

Made Spaghetti Marinara with BBQ Sausage, tonight...
I have posted pictures a couple of times now,so if you would like a photo let me know?

we are having our first warm night of the whole summer here at the beach,about time!
so we have been drinking Lapu Lapu's & sitting outside in the Atomic Tiki Lounge all night.

TikiBrains writes "I want to see Spaghetti picture, I am to lazy to go threw thread,so please show!"

Here you go TikiBrains....Spaghetti picture....

you didn't say what Spaghetti pictures,Now back to the Lapu Lapu's!

I have a sudden urge to eat spaghetti au naturel :wink:

A

I think the first pic qualifies as "BISKETTI"

It is a hot night,So it is BBQ time.

I give you Western Burgers, Grilled Onions,Smoked Bacon,PEPPER JACK! with BBQ Rosemary Corn

That's funny, our prime BBQ time is in the Spring & Fall when it gets cool enough to be outside :lol: All the big box stores (WalMart, Target, Lowes, etc) mark the outdoor stuff down in Sept & Oct - just in time for our outdoor season.

Gotta make me some of that Rosemary Corn!

Let me know if you want the recipe? Mike.

Wow! That burger looks amazing ATP!

On 2010-09-27 01:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Of course I do!

W

On 2010-09-27 05:55, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2010-09-27 01:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Of course I do!

Me too, me too please!!

Chris

A

Me three~!!

Thanks for the PM ATP. As per your wishes, I won't share your Rosemary Corn recipe with anyone.

:lol: Just kidding, I didn't get no recipe :lol:

A

WHAT??!! Pony up on the corn recipe, man, or we're outta here.

j/k

Mike! you trouble maker,I will post as soon as I get back from Don's later tonight.
You kids! don't make me turn the car around.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-27 17:38 ]

:lol: :D :wink: :P

Last weekend, my wife and daughter went apple picking in Julian (a small mountain town about 100 miles west of us). They also picked up some cider and pie so dinner tonight was Pork Chops with Cream Sauce, Tater Tots, fresh warm homemade apple sauce, Boysenberry Apple Cider, and Berry Apple Pie.

YUM!

Yum! Mike. Funny story,my Dad use to live in Julian,his house burnt down in the Julian fires
some 6 or 7 years ago, good pies though.
Funny I know? still good pie!

My wife said it was dryer than a popcorn fart up in Julian (OK, my words not hers). They look to be in prome condition for another fire :(

BBQ Rosemary Corn Recipe

I came up with this about 10 years ago, I have always had a big pot of Rosemary growing in the backyard
And would put it in everything,Just seemed like a good mix at the time.
Of all the food I cook,this is the one everyone who has tried it, Asks for the recipe.

So don't tell anyone else! this is just for you guys,enjoy!

You will need....

Corn...sweet white corn is the best,but any corn will do.
Aluminum foil
Butter
Salt, I like coarse sea salt
Fresh Rosemary sprigs,at least 2 for each ear of corn.
a BBQ

Take a piece of Aluminum foil large enough to wrap an entire ear of corn in & roll the ends up to the corn.
cut two pats of butter and place in the middle of the foil
Take a sprig of Rosemary and ether place directly on the butter or tear off the leaves and sprinkle on the butter.
set the ear of corn on the butter and Rosemary
place two more pats of butter on top of the corn & repeat with Rosemary sprig
sprinkle with some salt/sea salt
fold the foil length wise in a tight water proof fashion
fold one of the ends up to the end of the corn leaving the other end open
add a tablespoon of water to the corn & roll up the last open end of the foil
it should be rolled up tight and seal the Butter,Rosemary,Water with corn.
Place on the BBQ grill and give a 1/4 turn every couple of minutes for about 10 to 12 minutes till cooked.
(your BBQ may cook a bit hotter or cooler then others and will affect cooking time,please take this into account)

cook to taste,you may want to char the corn,put on the hottest area of the BBQ and turn often.

If you want to get real fancy,soak the corn in salted water overnight,really brings out the sweetness of the corn.
let me know how you like it, this is a very easy recipe so any one can do it.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-27 23:45 ]

Sherriyaki made this for us and Mekalekahaimekahainiho and lilusako tonight. Mexican fish soup. We ran out out 'cause it was so damn good.

Over 50,000 views! what! who are all you people
and what are all you people doing in my room!

W

Thanks for the recipe ATP!! Gonna have some this weekend with ribs.

Chris

A

Yay thanks! Definitely making it this coming weekend bbq!
A friend is bringing oysters from Tomales Bay. I promise to take pix.

You are welcome you two,let me know how it is.

TK

same idea as ATP's but you can also use corriander, vtarragon, cumin. green onions, chilis, etc. with the butter and foil wrap. i even rolled some bacon up in it 1 time.

W

BACON!!!!!

I usually use Cavender's Greek Seasoning on grilled corn but that rosemary looks VERY good. Besides, they have planters full of fresh rosemary growing outside of the post office :lol:

Score!

Just a quick meal of...
Spicy Rigatoni and Sausage Arrabiata

Not hardly photo worthy, but a quick homemade burger with Munster cheese and bacon.

The drink, however want interesting because it had BUTTER in a cold drink! The Mahiki Honolulu Honey

It's Cooking.......

Now that we have a working oven again…I can make…
Gourmet Baked Mac & Cheese……Three Cheeses & Bacon, Topped with Panko Bread Crumbs

A

topped with PANKO and...

a tiny Christmas tree!

We made burgers with cheddar and grilled onions. And a chocolate egg cream.
no pix.

I could use one of those Egg Creams right now!

Ahhh....eggcreams remind me of my "yute" in Brooklyn!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies