Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

I hope an eggcream is not something to drink - that sounds NASTY! :lol: Is that an east coast thing?

Ha! It does sound a bit unsavory...but they are great. It's basically chocolate syrup, seltzer and milk or maybe half and half. Great drink! And yeah, I guess it may me a north east thing. Altho' most deli's here in South Florida make them.

Where does the "egg" come in?

A

I use a tiny milk frother $1.99 from Ikea to blend the chocolate syrup as it's being poured into the milk (otherwise it settles on the bottom of the glass), and then add seltzer and, of course, a bendy straw.

I drank some of the chocolate milk down to make room for the seltzer.
3/4 of a glass full of foamy chocolate milk plus 1/4 seltzer was a fine ratio, but I guess that might vary based on your ingredients.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10076320

This article was originally written in the early '70's:

http://mrbellersneighborhood.com/2006/06/the-true-origins-of-the-egg-cream

Egg Cream by Lou Reed (from the Set the Twilight Reeling album 1996)

When I was a young man, no bigger than this
A chocolate egg cream was not to be missed
Some u bet’s chocolate syrup, seltzer water mixed with milk
You stir it up into a heady fro, tasted just like silk

You scream, I steam, we all want egg cream

Now you can go to junior’s, dave’s on canal street
And I think there’s ken’s in boston
There must be something in l.a.
But becky’s on kings highway, was the egg cream of choice
And if you don’t believe me, go ask any of the boys

The only good thing I have to say about p.s. 92
Was the egg cream served at becky’s, it was a fearsome brew
For 50 cents you got a shot, choco bubbles up your nose
That made it easier to deal with knife fights
And kids pissing in the street

So the next time you’re in brooklyn, please say hello for me
At totonno’s for pizza and ice cream at al and shirley’s
But mostly you go to becky’s, sit in a booth and say hello
And have two chocolate egg cream, one to stay and one to go

You scream, I steam, we all want egg cream, ah

Mike,it's basically a Chocolate Soda I used to get Vanilla ones too, anyone try the Vanilla?
And no eggs are used in the concoction at all, the name is very misleading.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-30 12:57 ]

Alright, as long as there's no egg.

Tonight is Moroccan Chicken, Lentil Pilaf, and Sugar Snap Beans

Thanks to Amy I have been craving an "Chocolate Egg Cream" I have not made it in while
So I went to the market & got the ingredients & cranked one out, Mike,this is a Creamy Chocolate soda.

A

NIIIIIICE!!!

Here´s one of my fav dishes,the Tahitian Chicken Fa Fa. The recipe is very simple:

For 4 servings:

1 kg of chicken fillets
6-7 large potatoes
1-2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped in large pieces
1 ognion
2 garlic cloves
a handful of fresh spinach leaves
1 tsp curry
a dash turmeric
some fresh ground black pepper
1 cube chicken broth
1 fresh habanero
1 can coconut milk
oil to fry
1 lime

Start frying the ognions, garlic and chicken. Add water to almost cover and add the potatoes. Add the broth and the spices. Cook on medium heat until almost done, add more water if needed. Taste to see that the habanero dont give more heat than you like. Towards the end of cooking add the coconut milk, tomatoes and some more fresh spinach leaves. Sprinkle a little fresh lime juice on top. Simmer for a while.

Serve this with rice and some extra coconut milk in a small bowl topped with some lime zest

W

Wow, Tiare! Mixologist and chef!

Nice!

Chris

The wife and I had some rib eye for lunch. Grilled them up along with some onions (that's the foil packet) and some hot dogs for the girls.

Here's a pic one of my papaya trees, which I hope will be the source of some future meal pic in this thread. This one tree has 4 offshoots and each one is overloaded with fruit. Hopefully most will ripen nicely!

Välkommen Little fragrant Tiare,Nice to see another Scandinavian here!
Great job on the Chicken (Looks Tasty) & please keep posting your dishes.

Ribeyes for lunch Zerostreet! opulence you has it!

On 2010-10-03 14:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Välkommen Little fragrant Tiare,Nice to see another Scandinavian here!
Great job on the Chicken (Looks Tasty) & please keep posting your dishes.

Ribeyes for lunch Zerostreet! opulence you has it!

I don't know about opulence....they were only about a 1/2 in thick! :x

Robert, that tree looks 20 feet tall, you gonna have Lester the chimp climb up there and pick them for you? Be sure to frisk him when he comes down, he looks like the type that would try to steal your papayas!

A

Old friends came to visit. They brought duck breasts.

We fried up the potatoes in the duck fat. Oh yes, we did.

Tiare, that chicken dish looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!

Amy,opulence you has it! Too.

On 2010-10-03 14:39, MadDogMike wrote:
Robert, that tree looks 20 feet tall, you gonna have Lester the chimp climb up there and pick them for you? Be sure to frisk him when he comes down, he looks like the type that would try to steal your papayas!

20 feet is about right....and it is one of three trees! If it wasn't for the face that the fruit flies and squirrels take about half of the papayas I'd have a fruit stand going out front! And yeah you can trust that Lester only about as far as you can toss him.

Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks!
Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks! Philly Cheesesteaks!

W

Jeez!! Rib eye for lunch and duck breast for dinner, I give up! All I did was smoke a pork loin and some yellow onion and make a three bean chili. Seemed appropriate as it only got up to 63 degrees here today.

Smoked pork chili! that's gold in a bowl,there SON!

W

Ok, I admit it, I am one of the "lurkers" on this site. I love this thread! Started at the beginning and just got to the end post. Wow, so much wonderful food. (can I come live with one of you?) Not a great cook but can throw together something special every once in a while. Will start posting myself when I get a computer that can upload pics. Until then, please keep posting and I'll keep lookin!

Laura

Thanks Laura! please join in and comment or post anything you like.

Not to be outdone by ZeroStreet, Mike posts a picture of his papaya tree

(it's actually only about 2 feet tall :lol: but it loved our desert heat and grew lots of new leaves this summer)

Laura, you keep lookin' and we'll keep cookin'. Lots of good food tonight- seems like everyone is cooking tonight.

I made some Football Food to celebrate the Charger's win :D Philly Cheesesteak and Squashed Potatoes

First time for the Squashed Potatoes, stole it from Rachel Ray today. Baby yellow potatoes, put in a skillet with chicken broth and poach until broth evaporates. Squash the potatoes with a coffee cup and add some butter. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Flip over then sprinkle on some cheese... yummy!

You guys win for best meals today, nice job everybody!
We are having a lazy day, Mrs. ATP wanted Breakfast for Dinner,Hey it's fast & easy!
who am I to argue?

A

-"you keep lookin' and we'll keep cookin'."

-Breakfast for dinner

-papaya trees

-PEPPERJACK

It's all here! (don't forget to LIKE and FAVORITE this thread)

-your,

faithful culinary enthusiasts.

W

Y'all are the best! And did I mention my love for the PEPPERJACK? Keep on cookin!

MT

Everyone on Facebook wants me to post this here, so, uh, here goes...

Home made pizza! Pan fried pepperoni, kalamata olives, artchoke hearts, and 4 types of cheeses, including goat and feta!

I have no fucking idea how this, or the majority of the posts on this thread is Tiki, but due to popular request, here it is. Maybe this thread should be moved to bilge? Or just rename the whole website BilgeCentral.com?

This is Bilge:

This is a fine looking pizza - gotta love Kalamata Olives & Marinated Artichoke Hearts

PS - Do you always do what Facebook tells you? :D

MT

"Facebook" is the friendly little name that I gave to the voices in my head.

A

Facebook Goggles make everything look like Bilge!

Tikicentral Goggles make everything look Awesome.

MN

On 2010-10-05 16:41, MadDogMike wrote:
This is a fine looking pizza - gotta love Kalamata Olives & Marinated Artichoke Hearts

PS - Do you always do what Facebook tells you? :D

Mmmm, bbq or oven?

Nice Pizza Mai Tai!!

And MDM, I'm rooting for your papaya tree!! Mine need lots of water...they really flourish during the rainy season.

On 2010-10-05 16:08, Mai Tai wrote:
I have no fucking idea how this, or the majority of the posts on this thread is Tiki, but due to popular request, here it is. Maybe this thread should be moved to bilge? Or just rename the whole website BilgeCentral.com?

Ohhhh don't get me started.......Instead I quote Melville
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee."

So there.....

A

Tonight's dinner is: Home made pizza!

Pan fried pineapple, kalamata cherries, art choke orange garnish swirls, and 4 types of Spam, including Spamubi and Hamubi!

Check out my tiki salt and pepper shakers!

PS- I'm watching Blue Hawaii for the nth time!

Spamubi and Hamubi? please explain what is the difference? from Spam.

Hey it has Pineapple it must be a "Tiki" meal,looking good! Amy.
I got something with Pineapple cooking too....

A

Spamubi is the bastardization of Spam musubi, and Hamubi would be the hambastardization of Spam musubi.

Substitute coconut fried shrimp, chicken katsu, or pork cutlet as your tiki heart desires!

(I hope I don't get voted off The Island for messing with the rules)

What? did you say something Amy,I was transfixed by those Shakers!

With all the opinion's that this thread has nothing to do with Tiki
I post this as an answer,not all the meals posted here might be a "Tiki" meal
but this one sure is! it's on the first page when I started this thread,so I made it again tonight.

So I give you "Char Siu Chinese Barbecued Pork & Pineapple Coconut Rice"
And it tastes as good as it looks....

MT

On 2010-10-05 22:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
With all the opinion's that this thread has nothing to do with Tiki
I post this as an answer,not all the meals posted here might be a "Tiki" meal
but this one sure is! it's on the first page when I started this thread,so I made it again tonight.

Sorry, I'm calling bullshit. That first entry very well in my opinion is a tiki dish, but then reposting it now is just an effort to cover your tracks. Philly cheese steaks, breakfast for dinner, and even your second "dinner" of Huevos Rancheros not only have nothing to do with tiki, but they add to the devolotion of this web site, especially since you started this thread - it sets a bad example of, "hey, post whatever you want about ANYTHING".

Don't get me wrong, I love a good plate of Huevos Rancheros, or a great Philly cheesesteak - and I've got the waistline to prove it - and would gladly join you in breakfast for dinner after boozing it up the next time I'm down in SoCal, but if I wanted to pontificate on other good foods that might be fun to post about, then I'd start looking for that in Beyond Tiki. As fun and tasty looking as some of this may be, a lot of, or most of, the stuff on this thread belongs in Bilge, or Beyond Tiki at the very least. You know it, I know it, and everyone else here knows it as well. :wink:

OK Mai Tai,let me first say don't worry to all reading, I am not going to go bat-shit, I know I have come across strongly
about this subject.

Mai Tai,I respect that you have a different point of view,then I do,I could say some outrageous "pop-culture" remark like I often do,but I will engage you in verbal intercourse for a moment if I may (Oh My!)

You are right that this thread is a general one & does not only concentrate on so called "Tiki" dishes
So I pose this question to you,why is this not a "Tiki" category? what is your criteria for what is "Tiki" and what is not?

My argument rests on the mainstay of the Modern Tiki lifestyle i.e. from the (1940s to 1960s) Tiki-bar & the Polynesian Restaurant
what did you need to enjoy the "Tiki Lifestyle" Food,Drink & Decor

If you where sitting in any number of Tiki-bars or restaurants 50 years ago,you could be eating a steak,chicken,a curry dish,Sushi,
any type of Asian dish,egg rolls and what not

The original Tiki-ware was for men,a suit & tie & for the ladies an evening dress,do you say a suit & tie is not Tiki?

also you say this thread should be in bilge instead of the "Tiki Drinks & Food" category where it now resides,how so?

You have stated your disagreement,but you have not posed any valid argument.
what do the rest of you think?

I leave you with an old menu from the Stockton Islander

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-06 02:38 ]

On 2010-10-05 16:08, Mai Tai wrote:
I have no fucking idea how this...

That is what leads to the devolution of TikiCentral. No midcentury modern man would think of using profanity in the presence of a lady. :)

MaiTai, apparently you feel strongly about this. If you think this thread belongs in Bilge or Other, use your power to "U-Moderate", find other like-minded people to do the same. I would much rather post my dinner in Bilge that to have all this bickering (which, I believe, also adds to the devolution of TikiCentral)

A

Mai Tai, you (and the facebook friends in your head) sound more like a Suffering Bastard.

So much for the ALOHA SPIRIT here on tc.

One of the things I have really enjoyed about this thread is a strong sense of "Ohana"
we have a great group of cooks & foodies here who share an interest in both "Tiki" & good food
what could be more Tiki?

All! of you have been the most magnanimous & mannered bunch of natives I have had the pleasure to hang out with,period!
it is you guys that keep me from going all (Dark,Twisted Humor maniac) all over this thread,well mostly?
this is why this thread has become one that many people keep coming back to.

Now I don't know if Mai Tai was meaning to be disrespectful or was just joking,he is certainly welcome to say whatever
he likes & disagree with anything I might have to say,but since he does disagree,I would hope he can back up his opinion
with a real argument and hope he still feels welcome to post any meals he might want to.

That being said I hope to keep this thread a friendly & pleasant one, because there are plenty of other threads here
that one can go to & misbehave.

A

Amen, brother.

W

Hey ATP, I think I can figure out the pineapple, coconut rice, but the char siu pork? I cook chicken in a char siu sauce but is the preparing of the pork a method like smoking or on the grill? It looks very yummy and would like to try and make (something) like this myself. Thanks!

BTW, I say ignore the man behind the curtain....maybe he will just go away. :)

Laura

Hi Laura,
I just marinate Pork Tenderloins for 24 to 48 hours in
Char Siu sauce (I use "Lee Kum Kee" brand,no red dye sauces for me) Ginger,Garlic,Soy sauce,Sesame oil
and salt & pepper then topped with some Sesame seeds.

Then into a preheated oven 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes
rest the Pork for at least 10 minutes & thin slice.

TT

Mahi Mahi tacos tonight! Alright!

We watched episode 2 of Hawaii Five-0.

...Trying to keep it TIKI. :wink:

All we need to do is put "Tiki" in front of what ever meals we post here and it is a Tiki meal!

maybe I will make some Tiki Quiche or Tiki Tacos
are "Shrimp waffles" Tiki? Pineapple Dogs?

Hey Amy! Pineapple!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies