Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Fancy & pretty!

TT

Dare I say "Pretty fancy."

Quite I say, my good man!

Wakey Wakey...Everyone's sleepin' and no one's eatin'.

Here's some Shrimp, Roasted Fennel and Leek Risotto Sherriyaki made the other day...
BTW... Not made from the shrimp we got in Hawaii. :wink:

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2012-01-19 12:33 ]

...And here's some Veggie Broth Pho Sherriyaki made as well...

It was Pho-King Delicious!

Ha! I will post something tonight Tom.

On the menu tonight....

Chicken, Shrimp & Andouille Jambalaya

A bowl of Texas Red Chili from last night's dinner...

TT

Them's some pretty lookin' victuals Mr. Tatum!

TT

Sherriyaki made some Indian inspired dishes here:
Chickpeas with spinach, a carrot curry soup with Basmati rice, and eggplant with tomatoes....spicy and delicious!

I took up fishing yesterday and I caught about a 2-3 pound fish in the lake here at Mojave Oasis:

fried it up:

and I got two plates like this:

No sides or garnishes. Only breaded fish with more breaded fish.

Buzzy Out!

That's fishtastic Buzzy!

Had a friend over for dinner, So it's a Fondue Party!

I'm gonna score me a fondue set one of these days. Chuck, your place looks cooler everytime I see pics.

Buzzy - FRESH!!!

Chuck - did you make Fondon't for those who don't like Fondue?

What's up MadDogMike, you're not a fon-dude?

Sherriyaki turned these Satsumas...

...into this Granita (the orange stuff) served with a blackberry & red wine sorbet (she made that too).

Sherriyaki is really bringing it up a couple of notches, Tom! maybe it time to open a restaurant?
Thanks Big Kahuna!
Mike, Do you like Meat Fondue?

TT

Sherriyaki made us this fish with green olives, green onions and capers and dill quinoa with a salad for a late lunch/ early dinner today. Not pictured was the salad dressing made from a carrot juice reduction, kind of reminiscent of French dressing.

TT

On 2012-01-22 13:08, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Sherriyaki is really bringing it up a couple of notches, Tom! maybe it time to open a restaurant?

I agree!

Chinese New Year dinner for 10. Didn't get a picture snapped until most of it was eaten.

Sweet & Sour Soup, Spicy Orange Chicken, Pork Fried Rice, Beef Chow Mein, Spring Rolls, Almond Cookies, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Chinese Five Spice Honey Sauce. All home made except the Spring Rolls

Here's a pic of me with one of my daughter's friends who bought a dress just for the occasion

(I'm the one on the right :D )

Outstanding Mike! glad to see you in the kitchen again.
I would not mind a bit of leftovers about now.

Yep, doin' a little cooking again :) Chuck, I don't know if this belongs here or in your Nostalgic Food tread; Dump Cake. It's an old standard that's hard to beat when you want a good and easy dessert. Dump 2 cans of fruit pie filling into the bottom of a cake dish (cherry, my son's favorite), dump a dry yellow cake mix on top, add a hadful of nuts if desired, cover with a sliced stick of butter, and bake for 45 minutes at 350. 5 minutes prep time and no bowls to clean. Eating it right now with vanilla ice cream.

Dump cake is awesome, though I haven't had any in a couple of decades.

Bear

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2012 7:27 AM

MadDog, remind me to post an egg roll recipe here, they're WAY easier to make than you think. I have a mint copy Johnny Kan cookbook from San Francisco's Chinatown, 1960's era. Once you get into the egg roll thing, there's no going back!!!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2012 4:52 PM

Before the classic egg roll recipe, I'd like to share this recent Spam Musubi development.

Since Spam Musubi is basically a giant Spam Sushi, why not make Spam Handrolls? Or - basically - Spam, Sashimi Style?

Cook your Spam in sesame oil with pepper & salt. Turn off the heat and glaze it while still hot with a thick teriyaki glaze - Kikkoman makes a great one:

Make fresh sushi rice with vinegar and Hawaiian pink salt:

Now find these little packages of Nori at Japanese supermarkets, they're about 2"x4", about a 1/4 sheet of the large Nori:

Here they are, YUM!...

Quarter the cooked Spam...

Wrap it up! Hot rice, fresh smokin' hot Spam, crispy Nori, HOLY TOLEDO THESE TASTE AMAZING!!!!!

Great for par-tayz!

Laytah folks.

Nice step by step action Cammo...Very cool !

Wait! How is this different than Spam Musibi? Because of the shape?

M

I would like to go back to the dump cake, i put cherry and crushed pineapple in my cake and the cake mix should be without pudding in it. Sometimes hard to find without pudding.

MR

Last night (National Gorilla Suit Day) it was Tacos!!

Matt Reese in the House! (Kitchen that is) good to see ya Matt.

Owning a gorilla suit is a lot like owning a fog machine; you always can find an excuse to use it :D

I wonder how many TCers have "Star Trek" uniforms?

Save yourself some time by getting a list of the ones that don't.

While pondering that conundrum....I made some
Gourmet Mac-N-Cheese (Yes, with the bacon!) and a Caesar Salad for dinner.

BACON!!! Can't go wrong with bacon :)

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2012 9:41 PM

"Wait! How is this different than Spam Musibi? Because of the shape?"

What you want?!?!? More PHOTOS?!?!

Yes, the shape, but if you do it in small bite-sized bits it's great for individuals to make up their own, with more or less rice, etc. To me the difference is the FRESHNESS though - this is piping hot, the rice is warm and damp, the nori is crunchy fresh, it hasn't been sitting around in a roll for a while.

Basically, this is how Japanese eat sashimi, they marinate the raw fish a bit and roll it up themselves.

It's just yummier X 10.

NEXT - THE EGG ROLLS FROM THE HEAVENLY EMPEROR!

I made Bacon Brownies to take to the SuperBowl party (sorry, no pic). Crumbled up 4 slices of bacon and put them in half of a brownie mix. They were good for the shock factor but they were not a "come to Jesus" experience. Jalapeno or Habanero brownies are better.

Made up some Mexican Street Dogs for a quick meal tonight.
Bacon wrapped Kosher dogs with melted Cheddar, Grilled onions & my favorite toppings.

Hey is it a "Hate Crime" if you wrap bacon around a "Kosher" Hot Dog?

You've got a point there Chuck!

Hate Crime? No,
a Crime against the (Jewish God)
all depends on what you believe.
real or fairy tails, you tell me.

all I know is Bacon is yummy,
and I love me some Kosher Hot dogs,

you know what Kosher dogs are right?
there is just a Rabbi there blessing all the innards that they put in the Hot Dogs,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 7:05 PM

"Hey is it a "Hate Crime" if you wrap bacon around a "Kosher" Hot Dog? "

It's not in good taste but it TASTES GOOD!!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 8:52 AM

Heavenly Emperor Egg Rolls, Old School Style

First turn the stereo volume all the way up.

Then jack in your iphone tuned to Pandora Les Baxter Radio.

Now you're ready.

Chop up 1/2 cup of each:
BBQ Pork
BBQ Chicken
Water Chestnuts
Bamboo Shoots
Oyster Mushrooms
and
1 cup of washed, broken bean sprouts:

Chopped -

Wok'em in peanut oil;

Mix up 1 tablespoon of each:

sugar
soy sauce
corn starch

and a bit of salt...
you can add pepper, oyster sauce, anything here.

consistency should be of runny peanut butter:

Mix the Soy Sauce/Corn Starch liquid in. Continue wokking everything until slightly cooked but not too limp. This should still have a crunchy snap. Test at this point, and adjust anything you want, this is what your Egg Rolls are going to taste like:

Fold a small handful into a large egg roll wrapper, moisten all edges to seal it in well.
These wrappers are like $2.49 for 3000 at any Chinese market. Here's how:

Heat some oil in a small pot, we're going to do these one at a time. I use a mixture of peanut oil, canola and sesame oil.
It's simple to see how hot it should be; just drop a piece of egg roll wrapper into it. (see it there in the middle?) When it starts bubbling and cooking you know it's ready.

Drop the Roll in slowly to avoid splashes:

Cook until golden brown:

Serve with Plum Sauce (my fave), Duck Sauce or Soy Sauce & Chinese mustard.

So here's the secret.

Why are Egg Rolls called Egg Rolls?!?!? Cause they're basically Chinese deep-fried dumplings, right? Which are right next to Egg Rolls on the menu usually.

Why "Egg Rolls"?????

Because they were originally rolled in egg! Most restaurants don't do this anymore, but lets's add one step here before you do the big dunk fry. Roll your Egg Roll in a beaten egg, then roll it in Corn Starch. Then deep fry it.

Here's the classic retro result - a bizarre crunchy outer coating that allows you to cook the Egg Rolls for much longer than usual. Is it worth the extra trouble? Some people like it, others don't.

The one on the left has a lot of corn starch stuck on, the one to the right has less, the one in the very back none at all:

Either way, 2 of these are basically a meal.

Laytah,
Cammo

[ Edited by: Cammo 2012-02-09 10:42 ]

Lookin' good Cammo. I learned something with the origin of the egg roll name - I didn't know that!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 4:16 PM

I get all my Chinese recipes from a mint signed copy of "Eight Immortal Flavors" by Johnny Kan. His San Francisco Kan's Restaurant was the original gourmet establishment on Grant. Nowadays it seems to be going downhill but in the 60's it was way posh.

Strangely enough, the book is dedicated to Leslie Raddatz, TV Guide writer of the 60's who seemed to like 2 shows in particular; Star Trek and Hawaii 5-0!!! How weird is that??!?!?

Really diggin' the step by step Cammo!

Here's some Opah we picked up at the Studio City Farmers Market last Sunday. It was so fresh and tasty!
Sherriyaki prepared the fish with an almond and panko breadcrumb coating topped with sautéed Hedgehog Mushrooms (also from the Farmers Market) and a salad on the side.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Feb 11, 2012 6:53 AM

That fish looks YUMMY!!!!

We should have a polynesian seafood day (Friday?) here on the cooking channel of TC!

I got some Monkfish for Christmas, maybe I'll have to cook it up some Friday?

Your gonna eat that?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies