Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

TT

On 2012-02-26 21:08, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Just a quick dinner of "Vietnamese Pho with Chicken" tonight

Looks so good...Of course we'd use tofu or shrimp.
BTW - Would that be Pho-cken?

As promised & Tom the answer you seek is: Pho-cken Good!

Nice! I thought it would be fun to open a Pho restaurant called King Delicious.

We too, had some soup...homemade onion soup! It's hiding under all that lovely cheese.

Yummy! Some cheesy Onion soup & a fresh loaf of french bread, A true meal makes.

A Vietnamese Restaurant run by Caucasians, That would be interesting!

TT

On 2012-02-29 00:11, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

A Vietnamese Restaurant run by Caucasians, That would be interesting!

It would be Pho King Delicious! :)

Pork Burger Experimentation Night was a smashing success! Divided 2.5 lbs of ground pork into 4 chunks and seasoned them differently: Greek seasoning, Jamaican jerk, diced bacon & liquid smoke, and Teriyaki. Split each chunk into 3 slider sized patties for a total of 12 to match the dozen dinner rolls I had.

You'll notice there is no curly endive, no heirloom tomatoes, no organic goat cheese, no stoneground barrel aged mustard, just bread and meat and bread to allow the flavors of the meat to come through. I like it, I like it alot! I'll be buying more ground pork. The Greek was my favorite, but the Teriyaki showed promise too - especially with some crushed pineapple mixed in.

YES!!!!!!

Mike,

may I make a suggestion,
if you can find them down yer way.
King Hawaiian sweet rolls.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
just by themselves are good.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Good idea Jeff! Ground pork, teriyaki, crushed pineapple, maybe some red pepper flakes on a sweet Hawaiian roll - mmmmmmm.

They say it's not so important to overcook your pork now, that there is virtually no trichinosis in the American pork supply but I am still cautious. Because I just randomly made the patties, they were different thicknesses and making sure they were properly cooked was problematic. I may have to invest a buck or two into a patty maker to make them uniform thickness.

Try adding a little fresh chopped Ginger in the Teriyaki Pork Burger, It's DA SLAMMER,SLIDER!

Who here, Has had the Taquitos at Olvera Street in Los Angles?
I grew up eating there & the best little stand for Taquitos is "Juanita's" hands down.
They have this incredible Tomatillo Avocado Sauce they use instead of Guacamole

And I wanted to know how to make it and that is the "Raison d'être" for tonight's meal
so here we go.......

We start with the ingredient's, I prepped by slow cooking a Pork Loin Roast for 3 hours
now all the produce...

Now the tomatillo avocado sauce, I stew tomatillo's & jalapeno's then chop & add cilantro, garlic, avocado, salt to the blender

Make homemade tortilla chips

And some cheese enchiladas to go along with the meal

Make homemade Salsa Fresca, Shred the Pork Roast and finish the Tomatillo Avocado sauce

Time to make Roasted Pork Taquitos

Take the Enchaladas & Refried Beans out of the oven

Put it all together and dinner is served.

Oh man, that looks good!!! My mouth is watering!

Chop Boo'ey

The apple bananas were going to be dessert, steamed,
but got to full...

Looking Good Ben!
Thanks MDM.

BooBen, is that morbidly obese banana from your tree? What do you use for fertilizer, Fritos? :lol: Very cool, I thought it was the banana flower bud at first.

Actually MDM it's an Apple Banana. I got the root from Don's when I first started re-bringing back tiki to it after Kona tried to turn it into Bev. Hills. Short Fat nanas! Taste sweet then sour. I'll try to save you one.

TT

The step by step action is really stepping it up! Great work!

W

I need to get back to posting on this thread. Was going to grill steaks tonight but it was too windy. Don't want to torch the neighborhood.

The Chop Boo'ey and the Taquitos looked fantastic!

On 2012-03-02 23:58, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

Put it all together and dinner is served.

Drool,
now we are talkin'
I may not be into all the crazy asian stuff yer into Lance,
but man oh man yer mex dishes look killer.

Jeff(btd)

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2012 9:57 AM

Shred the Pork Roast

You had me at Roasted Pork.
Unfortunately it sort of magically appeared, or did I miss that part?
That's my favorite meal right there.

On 2012-03-07 09:57, Gavin wrote:

Shred the Pork Roast

You had me at Roasted Pork.
Unfortunately it sort of magically appeared, or did I miss that part?
That's my favorite meal right there.

Sorry Gavin, Since the Roast was just one of many ingredients (Of course you can use your choice of favorite fillings)
I just skipped to the part where the filling was ready to use.

Our fair is in town so my brother & I were discussing things that should be deep fried but are not. He came up with Peanut Butter and Jelly Chimichangas. For those unfamiliar with Mexican cuisine, a chimichanga is a deep fried burrito (be sure not to confuse it with Chingachongo, which would roughly translate to "f%@king monkey" :lol: ) Besides the Peanut Butter and Jelly Chimichanga, we also fried up some Peanut Butter and Jelly Turnovers - TASTY!!!

Looks great everyone!
Here's my step-by-step Kalua pork and cabbage.

1. Rub and lather your pork butt/shoulder with red and black Hawaiian sea salt and hickory and mesquite liquid smoke.

2. Wrap pork in layer of cabbage leaves and put in roasting pot.

3. Cover and cook in oven at 250 for about 4-5 hours. "Low and slow." We want all the fibers in the meat to breakdown.

4. Remove and discard outer cabbage. Remove pork from juice, let cool, and shred.
    ***Here's one of my secrets...While shredding, you'll come across some nice juicy fat nuggets. Squeeze these fat nuggets in your hands so the fat is oozing out from between your fingers. Redistribute fat through shredded pork. We need to bring back some of the fat back into the meat, so ladel and mix in a little of the juice.

5. Remove the juice from the roasting pot and save it. Put your roasting pot on the stove, fill it with chopped cabbage, and ladel a couple ladels worth of juice over the cabbage. Cook the cabbage down over medium heat, mixing as necessary.

6. When I serve kalua pork and cabbage, I've learned to mix the pork and cabbage together ahead of time, especially if people are serving themselves. People don't realize that the two go hand-in-hand and that you need the cabbage to cut the salt. You also need the rice. The three compliment each other perfectly. Proportionally, I also think a higher cabbage to pork ratio is best.

Here, I've also got a little tsukemono cabbage and always gotta have some rice!

I also think this is one of those dishes that is best served the next day. There's something about the way the fat settles and redistributes on slow cooked meats, that tastes better re-heated.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Have a nice day!

W

WOW Rocka, that looks fantastic. What's your address? :)

Chris

That is some succulent looking pork! :yum:

I charbroiled some steaks this afternoon

Oh, those are stakes - they belong in a different thread :D

This is my quickie go-to.
I get a packet of TJ's Thai Tuna (green curry, they also have red), and add it to a heap of fresh veggies ('cept for the peas, they were frozen) with some fresh lime juice and cilantro, and get this...

Chicken TIKIYAKI Skewerz...

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2012 7:45 AM

If I send a self-addressed envelope, can I have some leftovers?!?!

I don't know about shipping food like that Cammo; when I didn't eat all my food as a kid, my mother would tell me about the children starving in China. Once (and only once) I offered to pay postage to ship it to them. That went over like a turd in the punchbowl!

Experimenting with pork burgers again ~ Sweet & Sour Pork Burgers

1.2 lbs low fat ground pork, a handful of well drained crushed pineapple, some chopped bell pepper, a couple of dashes of soy sauce, and a packet of dry Sunbird Sweet and Sour seasoning mix - all mixed together and grilled, then finished with a bit of Teriyaki glaze.

Very tasty! The bell pepper was still crunchy and the flavor was good. For presentation purposes, it would have been better with red bell pepper, chopped green onions, and grill pineapple slices instead of crushed. Would have been good glazed with sweet & sour sauce, or maybe some sweet & sour Aioli

"Ha, ha - I whooped ya', I whooped ya' all! You'll think twice before messin' with Percival C. McLeach!"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-03-13 18:43 ]

Hail the PORK!

On 2012-03-13 18:58, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hail the PORK!

Challenge accepted!!

Accepted challenge.........Wait for it.......... Accepted!

Cobb salad pita wrap with some applewood smoked bacon

Blue nose sea bass burger

Looking Tasty, Roots.

TT

I want that blue nose sea bass burger!!!

Stuffed Chicken Breasts with zucchini, tarragon, garlic, onion, black olive and Italian love.

A Mrs. Boo production...

Damn Boo, that looks good. Does it have a name?

Ben showing the stuff!

On 2012-03-18 19:58, MadDogMike wrote:
Damn Boo, that looks good. Does it have a name?

Stuffed Chicken Breasts with zucchini, tarragon, garlic, onion, black olive and Italian love. By Mrs. Boo.

I guess that would be thy name MDM. :wink:

p.s. Is there a way to make chicken taste like steak???

Chicken ala Boo!

1 - ATP hasn't posted any food to this thread since he's been back
2 - We haven't had a good Quorn posting in a long time!

I will work on it!

TT

Sherriyaki made these scallops on a salad with fennel, blood orange, cheese, pine nuts, and strawberries for dinner before we head off to the Rumpus Room last night.

That is "Magazine" pretty! Tom.

TT

I agree ATP, she really outdid herself on this one.

TT

Here's two poached eggs, sautéed mushrooms and onions with green onion garnish that we had for breakfast yesterday.

I'm still working on Asian inspired pork burgers. Tonight was ground pork mixed with a dry spicy orange mix, topped with grilled orange slices and spicy orange glaze. Very tasty. But the extra lean pork I find (97/3) is a bit too lean and makes the burgers a bit dry. The best part of the pig is the FAT! :lol: I could use some 90/10 or maybe even 85/15.

Looks great Mike, how about adding some fine chopped BACON! to the pork.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies