Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Memorial Day BBQ appetizers - thinly sliced pork loin wrapped around fresh mango and glazed with teriyaki

Had a BBQ

Smoked Pulled Pork
Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
Smoked Italian Sausage
Creole Potato Salad
Asian Cole Slaw
and all the fixings!

Smoked Carnitas Taco's
with homemade Avocado Tomatillo sauce & Salsa Fresca
nothing out of a can here...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-05 01:05 ]

drool, once again.

I come to your house, and you offer me cold pizza,
and yet you keep tempting me with these amazing pics.
just razzin' ya.

Jeff(btd)

On 2012-06-05 12:51, bigtikidude wrote:
drool, once again.

I come to your house, and you offer me cold pizza,
and yet you keep tempting me with these amazing pics.
just razzin' ya.

Jeff(btd)

I believe there was a BBQ you were invited to?
you will take your cold pizza & you will enjoy it! or back to your room young man.

I know, I was kicking myself for not making the other one.
My truck was acting up.
:(

Jeff(btd)

TT

Okay, I admit it, I've been slacking...Here's some dishes we've had recently.

Scrambled eggs with grilled salmon and arugula

Veggies, rice and smoked gouda

Chinese style food

Asian style noodels and veggies

Salmon hash and eggs

Shrimp Caesar salad

Chinese style noodles with veggies & broth

Looks good Tom.

I don't know anything about salmon hash but I do know corned beef hash. Once we took a group of high schoolers out to the desert for an outing. I took a can of corned beef hash and put a dog food label on it. While the carne asada was grilling, I broke out the can of "dog food" and several spoons. I opened the can and started to dig in. I offered to share but, understandably, most of them declined with a look of disgust. One brave soul did join me however, he decided it wasn't so bad and that it "taste like something my mother makes for me" :lol:

"Chinese style food" :lol:
Sherri sure makes it pretty.

Mike I think you got a little Punk Rock in you!

Thanks guys!

That's awesome Mike!

Lol, great story Mike! Great looking dishes Tom and Sherry!
Here's my Spam fried rice and spam musubi marinated in homemade teriyaki and grilled.

In the fried rice there's Spam, green onion, egg, carrot, corn, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, and furikake...no added salt as there's plenty in the Spam, soy sauce, and furikake.

Last week, I made a couple of "Chinese style" meatloaves. No pictures (they just looked like meatloaf, anyway), but they were pretty good. Interesting crunchy texture with the water chestnuts and ginger.

In addition to ground beef, eggs and chopped onion, it included:

• sliced bamboo shoots
  • sliced water chestnuts
  • mushroom pieces
  • fresh ginger, sliced and slivered
  • minced garlic
  • chopped jalapeno
  • soy sauce
  • black bean and oyster sauce
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • hoisin sauce, spread on top before baking

A little Cajun "New Orleans Red Beans & Rice"

Looks good ATP!!!

TT

FOOD BOMB!
Mushroom saute w/ fluffy eggs.

Poached eggs on hash browns and sauteed zucchini and mushrooms.

Salmon sourced straight from the grill.

Sherri's West Coast White Girl Soul Food...pan fried salmon, okra stewed w/tomatoes, greens, sweet tater and black eyed peas.

Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2012-07-09 22:39 ]

T

Memphis style grilled sasuage and cheese.
Made on my new Morimoto ceramic grill.

Mike - good looking Spam
Tom, no pictures without descriptions - I don't care if you are Pescatarian, you still have to follow the rules! :P
TikiSkip and ATP - somehow those pics gave me a hankerin' for Jambalaya. I think I have enough Tasso left for one more batch. TikiSkip, that grill looks interesting.
LimboLizard - that Chinese Meatloaf sounds good. Might be even better with ground pork? I'm gonna have to try that out.

The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts.
Only Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-09 15:06 ]

TT

On 2012-07-09 14:55, MadDogMike wrote:
Tom, no pictures without descriptions - I don't care if you are Pescatarian, you still have to follow the rules! :P

Updated the post with descriptions!
I'm actually a Procrastinatarian. :wink:

tikiskip, How about some more info on that grill?
Good to see you guys (Mike & Tom) posting.

T

Here's a link.
This is a great store in New York?
Lots o sizes on this grill.
Also go to the next page,(page 2)
To see the white charcoal burns very hot!
Good for fish grilling.
http://korin.com/Charcoal-Barbecue-Konro
http://korin.com/s.nl

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 05:12 ]

T

Also have you been to this site yet?
It is the Tiki Central like site for food.
Lots of great info in there from top chefs world wide.
Egullet.
http://forums.egullet.org/

Thanks tikiskip

Here is the last big meal we made in the lounge....

Fired up the smoker and made BBQ Smoked Tri Tip, BBQ Smoked Pork Tenderloins, Smoked Chicken Breasts
And smoked up Tomato's & Jalapenos for a Smoked Salsa.

Made it all into Smoked Pork Taquitos, Tri Tip Tacos with "Olvera Street" style Avocado & Tomatillo sauce
all topped off with Smoked Salsa.

Sorry I did not take more pictures as we had a Blackout for a few hours right as we sat down to eat.

Slice the Tri Tip, spoon on the pan drippings & Shred the Pork

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-07-14 03:01 ]

Nuthin' goes together better than pork 'n smoke!

Scrambled eggs, soyrizo and black beans with cabbage, avocado, radish, cilantro and Greek yogurt

This one is my brother's creation, he sent me the pic. I'll get details tomorrow when I see him

Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin

ATP , you're smoking too much! Looks delicious. Mad D, hurry up with that recipe for the stuffed pork loin,I'm starving.
Mahalo to you Gents

Heres my grinds recently. My tikiqueen made a killa sauce using three kinds of heirloom tomatos. Nuttin like homegrown, vine ripened tomato's and we're getting a ton this season. She used store bought Chicken/spinach (refrigerated) ravioli. Simple but delicious. I was so sated that I didn't even have my usual evening Mai tai.

n'u'u, I can only imaging how good sauce would be made with fresh vine ripened tomatoes - YUM!

I got the scoop from my bro today about the stuffed pork loin. He shoved a knife through the center of the pork loin to make a channel and shoved a skinless hot Italian sausage into the hole. He coated the outside with some Cajun seasoning, wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill- he said it was quite tasty, that the fat from the sausage helped baste the pork loin.

His next plan was to layer some chopped or sliced bell peppers and/or oninons around the sausage, wrap it in saran wrap and freeze it. Then unwrap it and plug it into the pork loin. The veggies would add some flavor plus it would be pretty with the colors when you sliced it - red, green, yellow,oragne, white, purple. I think it would be really good smoked instead of grilled!

Those of you who have been with this thread long enough to remember winter 2010 will remember that we celebrate opening ceremonies night of the Olympics with a dinner of food from the host country (Canada in 2010) Tonight was British food

Bangers and Spotted Dick
"Spotted dick of what?!"
"No, those sir are the bangers, the spotted dick is the pastry with the raisins"

Menu consisted of Bangers and Mash, Fish & Chips, Cornish Pasties, Beef Wellington, Mushy Peas, Yorkshire Pudding, Cucumber Sandwiches, Spotted Dich with Custard Sauce, Scones with Jam, Lemon Curd, and Clotted Cream, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Ginger Shortbread, and Earl Grey Tea. The menu was organized by my daughter and several people participated in the cooking.

It was also a costume party, here my son and I show the staid old London vs the angry new London

Next is the winter Olympics in Russia (borst and vodka?) and then summer Olympics in Brazil (now THAT'S what I'm talking about!)

EDIT - we learned something about cuts of meat during this when my daughter went to Von's to buy a beef tenderloin for the Beef Wellington ~
Jenna - I'm looking for a beef tenderloin
Butcher - Here you go
Jenna - But it's marked "Filet Mignon" and it's $60!
Butcher - Yes, beef tenderloin is just unsliced filet mignons
Jenna - No, I just want one like this $10 pork loin but made out of beef
Butcher - That's it
Jenna - But it's $60!
Butcher - Yes
Jenna - Well, can't you just cut me something in this shape out of cheap meat :lol:
We ended up with a regular roast which we cut into 2 long "loins". I'm sure it was a little tougher than the filet mignon roast would have been, but it was still very good :D

I'm getting better at barely getting by

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-27 22:40 ]

Love it & completely brilliant! my son.

Mad Dog, nice Olympic tradition. Can't wait to see what you do with Rio.

First time I have ventured into this thread, so here goes.

Caught it.

Start with fresh Ceviche appetizer.

Then Halibut kabobs Hawaiian style.

From the ocean to the kitchen 6 hours, fresh.

DC

Wow DC,That can't taste as good as it looks!
Cheers

Glad to see you here Dusty! Your dish is looking tasty.

That's FRESH! Did I tell you that you look damned handsome with that goatee? :lol:

My brother worked on his Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin concept a little and came up with this;

Mozarella Cheese stuffed into Spicy Italian Sausage wrapped in Fire Roased Red Bell Peppers wrapped in Thin Sliced Ham rolled in Black Pepper wrapped in more Ham stuffed into a Pork Loin plated with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and smoked! Very tasty :) We are looking at this to serve for his wedding dinner.

I also suggested a BUTTER FOUNTAIN for the dinner with bread, popcorn, corn on the cob, artichokes, lobster, escargot... :lol:

How yer not as big as me is a mystery,
or you are on the treadmill 10 hours a day.
or you just sweat it out, down there in the desert.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff, don't forget that you are several inches taller than me :D

When I got married in August 1982 I weighed 135 lbs. 30 years later I'm up to 185, that's 1.6 lbs per year. At that rate I'll catch you in about 20 years :lol:

Z
zond2 posted on Sun, Jul 29, 2012 9:39 PM

Did some baking this weekend.
Working on an idea for later, perhaps for Taboo.

Pretty crafty cake, But I don't know if I would want to eat it?

Z

White Almond Sour Cream Cake
Semi-sweet chocolate ganache
Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
It's about 30% gone, my guin..test group loved it.

That cake looks like a great idea for Taboo.

Teach a man to fish, yada, yada, yada. He still need to eat a steak once and a while. It's grillin' season in Santa Barbara.

DC

Went fishin in San Diego for 3 days, lots of fresh Tuna, Dorado and Yellowtail.

Tonight's meal started with Bluefin Tuna Sashimi

Followed up with grilled Bluefin steaks marinated in aoli and herbs.

Combined with rice pilaf, Arugula salad and broccoli.

Fresh

DC

My Brother-N-Law was on a 3 day Coastal fishing trip last week, No one caught anything
They are still grumbling about it, No way in hell am I showing him your catch.

You are a fishing maniac Dusty!

Fresh? 3 hours ago that was SWIMMING!

We decided to put the Cajun feedbag on a few weeks ago with a Crawfish Boil.

Pimms Cups from the Napoleon House served from Tiki bar for the hot afternoon.

Some good stuff there!

DC

Now ya Talkin Dusty!!! whoooooEEEeeeeee

Dem der mudbugs wood make me swell up like a poisoned pup, I gar-an-damn-tee it!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies