Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

I like raspberry jam!

On 2013-10-02 05:24, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Made a traditional Danish desert called " Dansk Pandekage"
Danish Pancakes (very much like crepes) filled with sugar & raspberry jam
topped with powdered sugar.

Atp those look onolicious!
post the recipe-don’t be selfish!
If they don’t have a lotta sugar I’m gonna try em as an entree filled with meat or fowl in a sauce. Umm... can taste them already.
Mahalo to you Lance

Well here you go, David
but these are sweeter then "French Crepes" so would not taste good as dinner crepes

Danish Pancakes (8 to 10 count)

200 g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel (I use both, together)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
A few drops Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon oil, for pan frying

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients (except oil) to a bowl and mix well until all clumps are gone.
  2. Let sit for 20 minutes (this step can be omitted if you are short of time).
  3. Add a bit of oil to a non-stick skillet and heat until medium warm.
  4. Tilt the pan approx 90 degrees and pour batter from the top. The batter will run down and fill the pan. You can also pour the batter in the middle of the pan and quickly make circling motions to distribute the batter all over the pan. The goal is to have as thin a batter layer as possible.
  5. Cook until the pancake is a bit stiff and flip over, cook for another 1 minute The pancake should be light brown on both sides.

If you want to make dinner crepes use the basic French Crepe recipe(stuff them with what ever sounds good)
here:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

I had forgotten that the Danes like cardamom. I always think of that as an Indian spice.

Mucho thanks Atp!

A few weeks ago I watched the movie "The Perez Family" ~ 1995 Romantic Comedy with Alfred Molina, Marisa Tormei and Angelica Houston. It inspired me to cook some Cuban food.

Mexican Cubano Tortas on the left (bread, roasted pork, ham, panella cheese, chorizo, avocado, and mayo) and Traditional Cubano Sandwiches on the right (crusty bread, roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, and mustard - nothing more and nothing less)

The Traditional Cubanos are pressed with a placha - a brick covered in foil

Served with Cuban Mojo Sauce (orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper), Testones (twice fried plantain chips), fries, and salad (not pictured - grilled pineapple, avocado, spinach, and watercress)

I varied from the classic Mojito a bit by using Demarera Mint Syrup along with the fresh mint and adding Canton Ginger Liqueur.

Dessert was 3 types of Cuban Pastelitos - one filled with guava paste and cream cheese, one with pineapple/apricot filling, and the strips drenched in cinnamon syrup. Served with Pineaple Coconut ice cream.

The weather in Headhunter Harbor was beautiful last night with the strains of some 50s Cuban music on the speakers. We only get about 2 weeks of Fall in the desert, you have to enjoy it while you can :)

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-10-06 08:32 ]

That’s some breakfast Mike! We have Two Cuban Sandwich shops in nearby Bellflower . Thats some good grinds. I forget the name but there is a great one next to Damon’s in Glendale (just came to me “Porto”-not sure of the spelling).
Liikin yor a m posts
David

Very nice Mike!

On 2013-08-05 21:35, MadDogMike wrote:
I could be wrong but I suspect that John Galt will be serving us up some SPAM as soon as he reaches a certain post count.

TongaTom you will be proud of me. I cooked a vegetarian meal for my girlfriend's daughter, who like you, is a pescetarian. Falafel sandwiches - falafel, spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, and tahini dressing on pita bread. I generally try to avoid foods with the phonetic "awful" in them but the falafel were surprisingly good :)

Yay MadDog! Now I want a falafel.:)

Last couple of dinners....

Tacos Fritos filled with Top sirloin & Bacon, finished with homemade Pico de Gallo

BBQ Burgers with Fire Roasted Sun Dried Tomatoes & Pepperjack Cheese (A really great combo!)

TT

Had this for breakfast this morning...

Basted egg on top of black beans, tomatoes, feta cheese, avocado and lettuce with a roasted red pepper and yogurt sauce and salsa

Everything here looks great
But ATP I do have a question for u

Saw your photo

How the Hell did you secure the plate to the green wall?
And how does the food stay on the plate?

:)

I hope the next time you are in my part of town, Jon
you and your wonderful wife can see for yourself

(that photo is from our old place by the way, we did transplant the same color to our new house)

Thanks for the invite
Hope we can take you up on it soon

Jon

Food non sequitur of the day. When life hands you Japanese Bunapi Mushrooms, you make... Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches?

Yep :D

So, how was it?

It was good. The bunapi 'shrooms have a bit of an off taste raw, vaguely like ammonia. But it disappears when they are cooked.

For this chilly night I baked a “Clafoutis”. It’s best served warm and is perfect with a hot coffee cocktail. You can use almost any fruit but a traditional french clafoutis is made with black/dark cherries. Made with any other fruit it’s properly called “Flaugnarde”. This one was made using strawberries (my favorite). Clafoutis or Flaugnarde-my family loves em! Ridiculously easy to prepare.
I will post the recipe at the slightest urging.
Cheers

Post it David!

On 2013-12-08 17:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Post it David!

Lance, you’re so pushy!
Here it is;
1/2 tea. butter*
8 oz. berries
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup granulated sugar (I use less)
3 lrg eggs
1 cup milk
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
powered sugar (optional
Set oven at 350
Grease a 2 qt. baking dish with the butter.
Toss berries around in cornstarch and place in greased baking dish cut side down.
IN YOUR BLENDER;
Whirl flour,eggs,,milk, sugar,and salt for 14 seconds.
pour slowly over berries so that berries remain evenly distributed.
Bake for 22 minutes.Add more time as necessary until clafoutis is set and a light golden brown.

MY TIPS;
Best served warm
Dust with powdered sugar (optional) I prefer a dollop of fresh whipped cream ( just a little sugar added to the cream)
I start checking the oven at 20 minutes and go from there.
Use cherries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or my 2nd personal fav, raspberries. A mix of several berries might be really good for the taste buds as well as the eyes.
I think fresh apricots would be outstanding but I always forget and the season for apricots is much too short.

• I just pinch a small gob of butter with a paper towel and smear up that baking dish.
    2nd time you make this you’ll be amazed at how quick and easy it is.
    Looks elegant on nice dishware. Let me know how it works for you

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-08 21:01 ]

Should you wear rubber gloves when working with "powered sugar" David?

I only bring this up because of all the "Holiday Casualties"
caused by the improper use of "powered sugar"

I just couldn't resist :) :) :) & a :drink: to you my friend
thanks for posting the recipe & Happy Holidaze!

You’re picky and pushy! Wait til you try one of my Mai Tai’s. I’ll show you “powered”. Btw, you’ve been hanging too long with Ernie!
Cheers

Nothing like fresh scones and a glass of cold milk. These are cranberry/orange.
Cheers
In the oven

Ready to eat!

I love me some Cranberries!
Nice baking, David.

On 2013-12-11 17:54, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I love me some Cranberries!
Nice baking, David.

Mahalo Lance. I luv dem cb’s too. Unfortunately, in scones they’re surrounded by calories and we’re just into the holiday season.
Cheers

Hmmmmm
No excuses now...

Scones with clotted cream and a cuppa...dreamy!!!

Nice cook book.

My brother, daughter, and I throw a Christmas party each year for about 50 family and friends. This year we chose a Greek theme.

Souvlaki - Marinated Pork Kebabs

Gyros with Pita Bread, Tomatoes, Onions, and Tzatziki Sauce

Greek Chicken

Fasolakia

Green Salad and Pearl Couscous Salad

Falafel and Grape Tomatoes with Tahini Sauce

And the crown of the night, my daughter's scrumptious dessert table. Lemon Bites, Revani (Orange Semolina Cake), Loukoumades (Greek Donut Balls), & Baklava

Add some Ouzo and it's a party ~ OOMPA!

Mike, I want it! looks great.

On 2013-12-22 09:13, MadDogMike wrote:
My brother, daughter, and I throw a Christmas party each year for about 50 family and friends. This year we chose a Greek theme.

Mike, Dat looks so good!
I could be your bruddah, cuzin, fren, whatever!
Merry Christmas,
David and CeCe

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Dec 23, 2013 5:11 PM

Saw Saving Mr. Banks last night and a good chunk of it was a fun orgy of 1960's snacks, including a Jello dessert that Charles Phoenix would swoon over. (He swoons over a LOT of stuff so that ain't saying much.) It's giving me ideas though...

Here's a cool link to Dapper Day at Disneyland from a few months ago; is this a regular thing?! It should be!

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2013/09/10/saving-mr-banks-dapper-day-round-up/

First of the Holiday Yums - BIG FAT GERMAN PRETZELS!!!!

Serve with 7 different kinds of mustard. Santa loves them.

by the way,

Mad Dog, you KNOW YOU RULE!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2013-12-23 19:37 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Dec 23, 2013 6:06 PM

Well whatabout this?!!? Looks like they're copying Tiki Day!!!

http://dapperday.com/

Chicken Fried RIBS???!!!

20 pounds of pork baby back ribs

Seasoned and baked 3 hours at 300 degrees

Dredged and deep fried

They were pretty good, kinda like bacon on a stick :D
I've got some leftovers, I think they need a dipping sauce. Maybe Asian Spicy Orange.

MadDog
If the house next to you ever comes up for rent
Let me know
Mmmmmmmmm

Jon

Looks like Buzzy may have rubbed off on you
when it comes to deep frying....Merry Xmas Buddy!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Dec 26, 2013 7:08 AM

**More Holiday Yums **

Jet Set Jello inspired by Saving Mr. Banks
7 layers of gelatin, it took 2 hours to make this stuff and it all was eaten in like 23 minutes flat.

Tropical Bundt Cake
Banana, Pineapple, and 4 Star Venezuelan Rum with a Cognac & Orange Glaze

Black Russian Bundt Cake
Vodka, Kahlua & Chocolate Ganache Glaze
THIS ONE WAS THE HIT.

The Curse of the Inedible Store Bought Pie Inspired by MadDogMike's most unfavorite holiday dessert.
We were given this pie as a gift by our neighbor. We didn't want to eat it. We brought it to a big Christmas Party. Nobody showed the slightest interest in eating it. We asked the hosts if they wanted it. They said no. We left it there. It's probably still on their dining room table looking for another family to curse.

Cammo, to quote brother James; "Please, please, please , please" post the recipe for the “Tropical” cake. It sounds delicious and looks awesome!
Mahalo

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Dec 26, 2013 4:02 PM

Let's see if I can remember all the little details;

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter and dust with flour a large Bundt pan.

Ingredients:
1 yellow cake mix
1 small box instant Jello banana pudding
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup medium-bodied Rum
1/4 cup Kahlua
1 cup milk

Mix all, gently at first and at medium speed for about 4 minutes. Separate about 1/3 of the batter, mix into it between 1/3 - 1/2 cup good Dutch cocoa. Put this aside.

Stir into the yellow batter:
1/2 cup small-diced pineapple and coconut if you like coconut.

Pour 1/2 the yellow batter into the Bundt pan. Pour the chocolate-ized batter on top, in the center of the first layer. Pour the rest of the yellow batter on top. Drag a knife through it in a circle, ONCE, to marblize it all.

Bake 50 minutes. Cool it by leaving on the oven rack with door open for about 15 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool for another 30 mins. or more. Turn out onto a serving platter, wait until it's at room temperature, and brush all over with:

2 tbsp. Orange Juice
2 tbsp. Cognac
About 1/2 cup - 1 cup powdered sugar, depending on how thick you want the glaze.

Or you can simply brush the orange/cognac on, and dust the top with the powdered sugar JUST before serving.

Recommendation: People basically ate this cake like starving wolverines even though they had just eaten an entire beef brisket, a full ham, and a deep-fried turkey, plus all the trimmings. The yellow cake/banana pudding base tastes nice and subtle and lends itself to experiments. The chocolate center is incredible; use good cocoa. This was also really easy and fast to make, despite my description...

Cam, I'm not much of a Jello fan but the rest of them looked DELICIOUS!!! especially the Black Russian

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Dec 26, 2013 6:12 PM

Don't look, TASTE!!!!!

The Jello is Cherry/Strawberry/Orange/Lemon with sweet milk layers in between. It tastes kind of like a 50/50 bar. People couldn't stop eating it. One of my cousins kept telling her kid to eat some real food. He grabbed another 3 pieces of Jet Set Jello instead. She looked at me accusingly and said "Did you make this?"

If you really want to knock the Jello out of the park, use the corresponding fresh JUICE for the Jello you are making instead of plain water: fresh squeezed orange juice for a box of orange Jello, etc. Fresh lemon in the lemon Jello. I tried this once, it was REALLY time consuming but tasted intense and amazing. Maybe 1/2 water, 1/2 juice would work too, don't know.

On a totally different note, I've noticed that people put down Tiki food in general (kahlua pork, ribs island style, marinated fish, spam musubi, tropical & rum flavored desserts) until they actually try them. We're all in the know about this stuff, but regular schmoes look at you askance (when's the last time you read the work askance?!?!? This is fun!) when you shove a piece of Tropical Rum Cake their way. Then they taste it and it's like giving heroin to a librarian. They just ain't prepared for the explosion of flavor, and then they pretend that they liked it all the time and were just joshing about not wanting any.

Then they ask for ANOTHER HUGE FREAKING PIECE.

Finally, does anybody have any experience using this stuff; -
https://www.claudessauces.com/store/products/category/brisket-marinade-sauce

Somebody did a slow-cooked brisket using it and it was AWESOME.

I smoke the brisket myself, so no need for a smoke flavored Marinade
but sounds good if cooked in the oven, I like a chipotle Marinade
doubled with 12 to 15 hours in the smoker.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Dec 26, 2013 8:16 PM

This weird Claude's Marinade isn't trying to duplicate a smoked cut. It's a whole different ultra soft beef style - and for a simple little Texas marinade it really did a lot of work. No kidding, this stuff has to be tried.

These friends are from New Mexico and I guess everybody knows about Claude's there. (No cracks about them all being clods in New Mexico!) I tasted it, my taste buds went BOING!!!! and I got the recipe then immediately texted it to myself (no pens or pencils to be found anywhere, are we really that far into the future?) - so basically -

Marinade a 6 lb. beef brisket overnight in about 1/2 a bottle of Claude's.
Slow cook starting the next morning in a large electric roaster at 225 for 6-8 hours.
1 hour before it's done, or as soon as it's soft enough, slice and flake into chunks and stir into it's own juices.

I'd try adding a good 2 cups of beef broth at the beginning, and also a smaller cut in a crock pot set on low.

If this sounds a LOT like Kalua Pork, it is - it tastes just like a beef version of it - Kalua Beef!

On 2013-12-26 16:02, Cammo wrote:
Let's see if I can remember all the little details;

Recommendation: People basically ate this cake like starving wolverines even though they had just eaten an entire beef brisket, a full ham, and a deep-fried turkey, plus all the trimmings. The yellow cake/banana pudding base tastes nice and subtle and lends itself to experiments. The chocolate center is incredible; use good cocoa. This was also really easy and fast to make, despite my description...

Mahalo very mucho Cammo. Gonna try it out new years Eve, Sounds like it will pair well with a good champagne.
Can’t hardly wait.
Have a good year!

Gotta say it sounds damn tasty.....

I glazed a few of those deep fried ribs with spicy orange sauce and they were delicious!!! Could dredge them in cornstarch before frying instead of egg and seasoned flour for a more "Asian" style.

New Year's Dinner for 2

Caesar Salad, Pan Fried Artichokes with Melted Butter, Chicken Puttanesca with Angelhair Pasta, Italian Margaritas, Dark Chocolate smothered Cheesecake

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jan 1, 2014 12:17 PM

Hey MadDog -

After frying the ribs, bake them in a dish; half-cover them with a liquid of pineapple juice & chunks, onion and pink ginger pieces, with a dash of Kikkoman soy sauce and another dash of sesame oil and you have the mouth wateringly delicious Japanese Ribs Pokay.

Bake like 20 minutes at 360, covered with foil, then flip them all over and another 20 uncovered. Serve falling-off-the-bone soft.

I also do this with fried fish pieces.

NICE JOB ON THE NEW YEARS DINNER! (Did you make 2 servings so you can eat seconds?) Do you do cheesecake delivery?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-incredible-cheesecake-company-san-diego

Laytah!

That's a sexy meal, bro!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies