Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

That all looks delicious! Here was dinner for my Valentine. Teriyaki Chicken, Stir Fried Snow Peas, Asian Salad, Ginger Margaritas, and Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake. No rice, the package was bad when I opened it and it was too late to go back to the store :lol:

On 2014-02-16 15:38, MadDogMike wrote:
That all looks delicious! Here was dinner for my Valentine. Teriyaki Chicken, Stir Fried Snow Peas, Asian Salad, Ginger Margaritas, and Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake. No rice, the package was bad when I opened it and it was too late to go back to the store :lol:

Nice Mike! Would you be kind enough to post the recipe for the “Ginger Margaritas”?
Mahalo and stop outdoing everyone, you’ve already got a fiance’e!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-02-16 16:09 ]

You know there is no letting up! :lol:

I'm no mixologist and I probably shouldn't post any of my poor excuses for drinks in a crowd like this. But if Olive Garden can add a shot of Amaretto to a Margarita and call it an "Italian Margarita", then I can add a shot of Canton Ginger Liqueur to a Margarita when I'm eating Asian inspired food :D

Mike you are too cute!!!!

:) :wink: :P :lol: :D & a :drink: Mike!

Tanks Mike!

2 heaping teaspoons of cardamom to a batch of chocolate chip cookies, quite tasty!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2014 2:36 PM

Deep dish blueberry lemon cinnamon rustic lattice-top pie.

On 2014-03-01 14:36, Cammo wrote:
Deep dish blueberry lemon cinnamon rustic lattice-top pie.

Cammo, If you don’t post dat recipe I will find you!
Mahalo ; )

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2014 7:35 PM

There basically is no recipe.

For the blueberry filling I use a dash of corn starch, blueberries, plenty of fresh lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon, cinnamon to taste, and brown sugar. We have a Meyer lemon bush out back and it has BIG fruit right now!

Short crust pastry, egg wash on top, dot with butter, dust with sugar and cinnamon, bottom rack, 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until it smells good and bubbles.

Take your time with the lattice top.

I vary the ingredients depending on what kind of taste I'm going for, this one was very citrus/spicy.

Oh, and SERVE WARM!!!!!!

(The weirdest pie I've ever made is a classic ancient English Chess Pie, the kind that pre-dated the sweet American Southern custard version by a century or five. Real Chess Pie has raisins and dried fruit, lots of cream, and is only made in deep winter, it's kind of like plum pudding in a pie shell. Don't ask me to make it.)

Mucho Mahaloz Cammo,
I have a “Traditional” Apple pie in the oven as I type this reply.The “Lattice” crust can be frustrating but so can the “whole”type crust.
This evening I pinched both top and bottom crusts together and realized that I forgot to cover the apples with the butter/brwn sugar mix.
So I carefully cut open the crust, added the sugar mix and resealed the crust. After bout 20 minutes I noticed a dish of blueberries that I had intended to sprinkle among the apple chunks. Oh well, next time.
Thanks again
L A David
Btw, if the pie looks halfway decent,I’ll edit this reply and add a pic.
Edited to add pic.

Not as pretty as yours but the aroma is driving me crazy! Can hardly wait for it to cool.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-03-01 21:47 ]

I thought I told you not to drink & bake, David? :lol:

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2014 5:19 AM

It's almost impossible to make a bad pie. By the time it all cooks together it tastes great no matter what the ingredients!

A lot of recipes for apple pie tell you to use white sugar. They're wrong. Use brown sugar. I've even added molasses to make it taste more like caramel.

And you really don't have to pinch the edges together, I just flop the bottom crust edges over and they're tastier that way.

I love me some berry pie! Looks good Cam

On 2014-03-01 21:44, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I thought I told you not to drink & bake, David? :lol:

Well, since I had the rum out...
Later amigo!
Mahalo Cammo!

Made some Chicken and Andouille Jambalaya with Corn Bread
and watched the Academy Awards tonight.

Love me some Jambalaya. Lance, you need to fire up the smoker and make some Tasso - highly seasoned and highly smoked pork. Excellent addition to Jambalaya

Happy Fat Tuesday Mike!

S

fish & chips: procured from a local dive here on the moonbase (recently opened). what you cannot see off camera is the swank babe i'm dining with, plus the delicious cocktails we were using to wash down this fine meal.

Did you cook this yourself Socks? me thinks, not so much :D

Very simple dinner for an 85 degree late afternoon in California. Short ribs with “Jack Daniels” bbq sauce (store bought). Tried making Fried rice for the 1rst time. Not bad, needs a little tweaking. Washed it down with a “Pacifico” and a Rum and coke made with Mt. Gay Black Barrel.

Nice outside.

Cheers

Delish!

Gotta satisfy that sweet tooth!
Key Lime Cake but instead of the usual cream cheese Meyer’s rum frosting I am trying a ginger syrup flavored buttercream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.
Might be too sweet-we’ll see.
Cheers

Edited to add pic. Much too sweet. Going back to plan “A”

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-03-11 00:13 ]

Keep it up David & you're going to give me diabetes!

You're the Bake Master General, The Master Baker, the Bake-atollah of Rockin-Rolla
The Bake-inator & the Franken-Baker!

(Edited to correct intentional errors left for Grog, Grog gotta eat!)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-11 01:54 ]

On 2014-03-10 23:51, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Keep it up David & you're going to give me diabetes!

Your the Bake Master General, The Master Baker, the Bake-atollah of Rockin-Rolla
The Bake-inator & the Franken-Baker!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-10 23:52 ]

How sweet of you to say that!
Later

There's no such thing as "too sweet", it's a dessert for cryin' out loud! :lol: I like the ginger addition.

On 2014-03-11 06:01, MadDogMike wrote:
There's no such thing as "too sweet", it's a dessert for cryin' out loud! :lol: I like the ginger addition.

Hi Mike,
I think I served myself too big a slice. I may up the butter to sugar ratio and even try more Ginger syrup in the mix. Might need to “reduce “ the syrup by cooking it longer or the the frosting will be too thin. Ginger root definitely has found a spot in my kitchen. We’re eating Huli Huli Chicken couple times a week now-can’t stop
Later,
David

Dave, just for the record ~ there is no such thing as "too big" a slice of cake either. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a 32 of them :lol:

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2014 4:58 PM

Beignets...

... and a pitcher of fresh Lime Rickeys!

A friend recently moved to a new place, and I visited it for the first time last week. He had some sort of a citrus tree out front that looked like it was bulging with never-picked fruit. I asked him what the tree was, and he said "I don't know. Like, a lemon or a lime or something." We investigated and it was the biggest, ripest lime tree I've ever seen. We cut one fruit open and it gushed out a pale sweet, barely sour pale green lime juice. I now have his permission to take whatever fruit I want because he told me with a stern face -

and I quote -

"I don't like lime juice."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Beignets, that was the one thing missing from my last Cajun dinner.

One of my favorite things to do is get a nice “glow at Trader Sam’s and stumble over to downtown Disney and wolf down a bag of beignets-no powdered sugar. Makes me sneeze and I look like hell after a night at T S ’s and stuffing my face in a bag full of beignets. Yours look good Cammo.
Cheers

C

I think this is one of the most difficult things I've ever made.

The first try was a total disaster, it came out so freaking SCOVILLE 1,600,000 that my brain exploded, then imploded, then flipped upside down and landed backwards. I looked like an Olympics version of the Exorcist head crank scene.

The second version had no flavor. The third needed more of a smokey kick...

Anyway, many versions later, peering at the ingredients lists of many commercial bottles, and lots of exacting notes, taste tests - dividing the recipe into 1/4's and blind testing the variations, and here it is.

Hot sauce.

I like this cause you can make a small batch for a party, day of.

That's a BBQ'd Habanero at the bottom right.

I'm also letting the sauce sit for a few days and see if it all smooths out a bit, like an aged whiskey.

That's scary! Habaneros are the crack cocaine of the pepper family, I stay away from them! :lol:

Cammo, love the look of the hotsauce.

I created one that I call "Pele's Revenge" and it is made with Pineapple, Habeneros and a Scotch Bonnet....or two. Stuff is amazing, sweet on the tongue right away and then the fire sneaks up on you. The fun part of hot sauce making is you can really adjust the heat level and play with the flavors. Experimentation is fun, but make sure you have a good kitchen exhaust fan. It don't take much to "pepper gas" yourself and the family. :)

• Dale
C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2014 9:57 AM

Yeah, the key I think is to get your base flavor perfect before adding the habaneros. I used a whole variety of sweet and smoky ingredients before blending in the hot stuff, 1/4 a habanero at a time. This stuff TASTES GOOD!

The first experiment was the funniest, though. It literally almost melted the melamine bowl I was making it in. There are burn marks now on the countertop. I think I invented a new way to get through tank shielding armor. I dumped it all in the garbage and it ate through the can, the floor, and down to the basement just like in Alien.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Mar 20, 2014 3:42 PM

"Dave, just for the record ~ there is no such thing as "too big" a slice of cake either."

Correct!

On 2014-03-20 15:42, Cammo wrote:
"Dave, just for the record ~ there is no such thing as "too big" a slice of cake either."

Correct!

Cammo, What is dat?
Looks super yummy-might even drink milk wid that.
Cheers

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2014 6:43 AM

"What is dat?"

It's an 8-layer Cointreau ganache, vanilla & chocolate cake with milk chocolate frosting over a dark chocolate glaze!

It was almost impossible to cut into pieces, I had to do it carefully, like excavating geologic layers.

And yes, it was GOOOO-OOOD! Just like Aunt Bee used to make! Barney wanted 2 pieces!

Simple dinner. Pork chops, fried green apples, and mashed potato’s.
Cheers
Btw, it’s on a serving platter. I can eat a lot but not that much!

On 2014-03-23 06:43, Cammo wrote:
"What is dat?"

It's an 8-layer Cointreau ganache, vanilla & chocolate cake with milk chocolate frosting over a dark chocolate glaze!

It was almost impossible to cut into pieces, I had to do it carefully, like excavating geologic layers.

And yes, it was GOOOO-OOOD! Just like Aunt Bee used to make! Barney wanted 2 pieces!

Try cutting it with a handled cheese wire on a flat cutting surface. They're also good for cutting cheesecakes and mousse filled cakes. This is what they look like.

Good idea Lori. I use dental floss to cut when I make cinnamon rolls.

I used the last of my bottle of Gusano Rojo to make some Tequila Lime Chicken

I looked at the worm in the bottom of the measuring cup and thought “Eh, why not?”. So I skewered it and roasted it along with the chicken, served over a bed of slivered fried corn tortillas and a melted four cheese blend. Not too bad, the worm had a bit of a nutty taste. (sorry about the crappy cell phone pic)

Nice try Mike. April Fools!

:lol: :D

Lori, Those Cheese cutting wires are the first choice of culinary assassins.

On 2014-04-01 14:05, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Yes. Yes, they are. :)

On 2014-04-01 14:05, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Yes. Yes, they are. :)

T

Sabu's Spicy Chicken and pineapple-coconut rice tonight!

Pictures!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies