Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Mid Mod Eggs!
Great presentation Skip, did you use saffron strands?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-01 17:02 ]

Piping hot from the Atomic Tiki Lounge kitchen
Chicken Tikka Masala, Raita & Indian Basmati Rice (I did not make the Naan)

(Hot Tip!) For years, I could not get the Indian Rice to come out as good as what is served
at Indian restaurants, The secret is to soak the uncooked "Basmati Rice" in cold water for 30 minutes
prior to cooking it!

T

On 2014-11-24 12:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Mid Mod Eggs!
Great presentation Skip, did you use saffron strands?

Sorry ATP did not see this till now.
It was chili threads, they are ok but have the texture of doll hair.
Kinda too wiry.

MY SPICE SAGE
http://www.myspicesage.com/chili-threads-p-471.html

This Thanksgiving my daughter taught me how to make the perfect flaky pie crust that she learned from her mother. For Christmas I got a new smoker, my 20+ year old one finally fell apart.

What do these 2 facts have in common? I made a pie out of left-over smoked pulled pork, Tater Tots, corn, and sharp cheddar cheese. DELICIOUS!!! I was tempted to lattice bacon over the top crust but was cooking for company and didn't want to risk ruining it :lol:

Two things, Pork, Mike?

LOL You know I love me some pork Lance

Well folks it hit a scorching thirty five degrees today in the tropical atoll of Kalamazoo. The sun even came out for a record fifteen minutes! I haven't been feeling well but when a working man is hungry drastic measures must be taken. I fired up the Weber and twenty five minutes later it was time to cook and dark out already. The second picture looks like Nasa's Weber Moon Probe ready to take a frozen soil sample. Steak was on the menu, seasoned and cooked perfectly. The fries and pasta salad were store bought but good at any rate.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2015-01-19 16:24 ]

Hang in there Trav, Spring is coming!!!
Looks great :wink:

I get good inspiration from this thread, I'd like to keep it going.

"Semi-homemade" Valentines Dinner. Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu, packaged rice with fresh sauteed mushroom stuffed into artichokes halves (choke removed to make a bowl) and fresh green salad. With the time I saved with the packaged food I made a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake.

Hope you had a very nice Valentines, Mike!

T

A bit late but for next time…
I have made these using just a knife.
Easy to do.

butter roses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONAWGLqaOT8

Butter Roses! Too cool, too bad they have to be made with unsalted butter :( That renders them unfit for human consumption

Clockwise from the top; Spicy Tuna Roll, Seared Salmon Nigiri, Spam Musubi Bites, Salmon Roll with Cucumber & Avocado, homemade pickled ginger.

Better call Mike!

Not to brag or anything but Booyah!! My club, the Nebenkanoozers, had our ten year anniversary and I cooked up a 64 pound pig. It was quite a job and I will do a couple things a little different next time, but overall it was great. My sincerest regards to the sentient being that died for our consumption. Peace with every step.

coals ready 4:30 am

Always someone watching over the cooking

The turning begins!

Sun's up and the pig is browning.

On display!

Punch with tiki ice for the guests.

Thanks for looking. Again, peace with every step.

Wow Matt!
David and CeCe

Outstanding Matt!
I wouldn't mind a little (who am I kidding, a huge plate) of that.
what was your total cooking time?

Well, one of the things I would have done different,,, I cooked it for over 8 but it could have cooked another 4. We discovered the "undoneness" and then seared it on the grill, quartered it and roasted it for about 40 minutes. It turned out fine after that. Next time it will be at least a 12 hour cooking session, if not longer. It was my first time cooking a whole pig without my Father. Learning curve.

Looks great Matt! Nice to have your own pig-sized rotisserie.
Still on a sushi kick, tried inside-out dragon roll. Made a special ceramic dragon plate to hold said dragon roll, why have no one ever thought of that before?

Due to that pesky allergy I used tempura fish instead of tempura shrimp. Forgot to drizzle with eel sauce.

That is too cool, Mike!
custom made serving dishes to display a specific meal, wow.

Mike, you are truly.......one of a kind!
David and CeCe

H

On 2015-02-25 19:49, Matt Reese wrote:
Not to brag or anything but Booyah!! My club, the Nebenkanoozers, had our ten year anniversary and I cooked up a 64 pound pig. It was quite a job and I will do a couple things a little different next time, but overall it was great. My sincerest regards to the sentient being that died for our consumption. Peace with every step.

coals ready 4:30 am

The turning begins!

Sun's up and the pig is browning.

On display!

Lechon Baboy!! I'd love to try to roast a whole pig, but never have enough folks over to eat the whole thing. I've tried doing just a picnic shoulder, but the skin never comes out crispy. How'd the skin turn out on yours? Saw a guy use an old bathtub as a pit to roast one on youtube...

howlinowl

MR

The skin will get crispy if you do a lot of basting. Especially if you have a higher sugar content in your baste. Time man, time. Mike, that dragon roll piece is awesome.

It's St Patty's Day so of course it's Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes, Soda Bread, and Baily's Irish Cream Cake

Erin go Bragh, Mike :)

I made traditional Hungarian beef Porkolt. My last name is Szekely an older than dirt name that can be traced back to the 9th century in the area of the Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania. With a love of family history I decided to delve into some Hungarian recipes. The beef Porkolt is made with beef,onion, garlic, bell pepper,tomatoes and a big dose of sweet paprika. Simmered for nearly two hours to reduce and thicken. Served over galuska egg noodles. It was very good and I cant wait to try some other traditional dishes. I love cooking on my vintage Tappan Fabulous 400.

Wow - I don't eat beef, but I'm in love with that oven!

Very cool oven! looks great in your kitchen.
I do enjoy making traditional Hungarian Goulash, myself
thanks for posting, Trav.

Someone brought a passionfruit cake for the social hour at my Fern Society meeting this evening. Person that made it got away before I could beg for the recipe. I found several recipes on-line and I will be trying em out very soon and of course pix and reviews will follow.
Cheers

Trav, I missed the Porkolt, that looks delicious!
David, any luck with the passionfuit cake. I was looking for a tropical cake recipe a couple weeks ago and went with coconut rum cake. Wish I had thought of the passionfruit.

Chicken Fried CORN ON THE COB!!!
Pretty good. With pork chops, loaded mashed potatoes, and salad

On 2015-04-08 19:07, MadDogMike wrote:

David, any luck with the passionfuit cake. I was looking for a tropical cake recipe a couple weeks ago and went with coconut rum cake. Wish I had thought of the passionfruit.

Hey Mike, I found the following recipe at a Williams-Sonoma site. I used a White cake (boxed) mix and subbed the buttermilk, OJ, and PFpulp for the water called for in boxed mix. I sprinkled a little toasted coconut on the glaze. Adds a little drama and tropical flavor. Wish I had a pic. I used a Bundt pan as called for but I bet that a layer cake with the glaze used as a filling would be killa!
Later

This traditional cake is eaten in many Argentinean homes, often as an accompaniment to afternoon tea. It is usually purchased in pastry shops, 
but this straightforward recipe is well worth the effort. Passion fruit is used 
in many ways in Latin America: juice for drinking; as flavoring for ice creams, glazes, toppings and other desserts; and for adding sweetness and complexity to salsas, sauces and savory dishes. You can find frozen passion fruit pulp in most Latin markets.
Ingredients:
For the cake:
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for buttering pan
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen passion fruit pulp
1 Tbs. grated orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
For the glaze:
2 heavy passion fruits or 1/4 cup thawed frozen passion fruit pulp
1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
Directions:
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch Bundt pan or tube pan. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. 

To make the cake, in a bowl, whisk together the 3 cups flour, the baking soda, baking powder and salt. 

In a large bowl, combine the 3 sticks butter and the granulated sugar. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until very smooth, 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup of the flour mixture. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time, beating until fully incorporated after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes total. Turn the mixer off. Add the remaining flour mixture, the buttermilk, passion fruit pulp, orange zest and orange juice and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and beat just until combined, about 1 minute more. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. 

Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when pressed in the center, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, make the glaze: If using fresh passion fruit, cut the fruit open, scoop the pulp and seeds into a fine-mesh sieve, and press it through the mesh, using the back of the spoon to extract as much of the juice and pulp as possible. Discard the solids left in the sieve. Measure 1/4 cup pulp and reserve the rest for another use.
In a bowl, using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir together the passion fruit pulp, confectioners’ sugar and butter until smooth. 

To unmold the cake, run a small knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then invert it onto a serving plate and remove the pan. Drizzle with the glaze, cut into wedges and serve. Serves 12-14
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Latin Cooking, by Patricia McCausland-Gallo, D

Thanks David. I'm a big fan of the "semi home-made" way of starting with a boxed cake mix, why re-invent the wheel? I will give it a try, thanks. I found out you can sub a can of coconut milk for the oil and water in a yellow cake mix and it works out well.

Great stuff guys! I made a batch of homemade Jamaican Curry Shrimp. Red onion, minced garlic, julienned red and green bell peppers, curry, thyme and coconut milk. A few other ingredients thrown in for good measure and of course good shrimp. Served over plain white rice. Very tasty. Seems like everything I've made lately is best served in a bowl :D

That would look good if it wasn't shrimp Trav (allergic :( )
Sushi tonight

Clockwise from top left. Tempura Fried Teriyaki Chicken Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll,assorted Sushi Balls, Mosaic Roll, Seared Tuna Nigiri, Philly Roll, and Dragon Roll.

David, I haven't found any passionfruit but I'm gonna work on a mango cake this weekend to go with Korean BBQ

U guys rock
Thanks for always makin me hungry

UT

Traditional Shepards Pie. Mashed potato heaven.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2015-05-05 13:56 ]

YUM!!! Sheppard's Pie!

In my continued search for a tropical cake I made a tropical version of the traditional Christmas fruitcake. Started with a banana cake mix (I like "semi-homemade") and dumped in a BUNCH of dried pineapple, dried bananas, dried kiwi, dried papaya, dried mango, coconut, macadamias, and cashews. Much better than the traditional :lol:

H

Wild caught Pacific salmon, Swiss Chard from my vegetable garden cooked with white wine, potatoes with onion and red peppers, rice with noodles.

Looking good, guys!

Sorry I have not posted anything in awhile, been recovering from a nasty illness
and restricted to to a low residue diet, hope to get some real food now!

Hilda, I'm not much of a fish guy but that looks delicious!!!
Lance, hope you are on the mend now

I generally try to avoid rhyming foods like "Fajita Pita" and "Turkey Jerky". But my daughter was talking last week about Falafel Waffles so I had to try it out. About 2/3 falafel mix (imported from Lebanon) and 1/3 pancake/waffle mix cooked in a Belgian waffle iron, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, shawarma chicken, and Greek yogurt. The waffle was a bit dry, could have used a sauce to moisten it a little - like regular yogurt (instead of thick Greek yogurt) mixed with some avocado.

UT

That dish looks amazing Mike! I bet it tastes even better. Nothing special about last nights meal. After a nine hour day on the job site and an hour and forty minute commute each way and couple hours of lawn work I was beat. A couple of really good ribeyes and some portobellos tossed with olive, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper filled the bill. You can tell by the pics that Kalamazoo really does thaw out in the summer. It turned out to be a great dinner and a nice evening.

Looks delish Trav. But I'm not too sure about that "thawing out" thing, my daughter was in the UP last week-end and froze her butt off :lol:

Got an early Fathers Day gift. It is called a Comal De Bola. Got 2 kinds of pollo, carne asada, nopales, the big green onions and some yellow peppers going in there. I'll be heating the street style corn tortillas on the hump in the middle. Everything simmers in their juices and slow cooks. Been wanting one of these for a long time and this is it's maiden voyage!

Smells good so far.
I'll get pics of the tacos with all the trimmings (guacamole, cilantro, onion, and queso fresca).
I'm so excited!

On 2015-05-06 18:31, hiltiki wrote:

Wild caught Pacific salmon, Swiss Chard from my vegetable garden cooked with white wine, potatoes with onion and red peppers, rice with noodles.

This looks amazing. The idea of noodles in the rice is cool.

So I took a shot cooking the tortillas and the feeding frenzy was too rapid and I never got a pic of the final tacos. But they were yummy.

Really authentico!!!!

Authentic street tacos with quality meats!
I am jealous Matt.

Looks delicious Matt! Can you tune it and play reggae music on it like a steel drum? :wink:

Ha!! That's hilarious. It won't play like a steel drum, but my tummy was singing after that meal. If you can I strongly suggest getting one of these things. I'll be using it this Friday for the guys at work and again for Fathers Day when we have all the family over.

H

Vegetable frittata, rice, potatoes and salad.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies