Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

On 2016-01-09 15:33, uncle trav wrote:
I nearly licked the screen looking and the picture :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No picture but tonight was Brazilian food. For the Winter and Summer Olympics, my daughter and I throw an Opening Ceremonies party themed on the hosting country. This summer is Rio de Janeiro so we did a practice run Churrasco (Brazilian BBQ)
Smoked Pork Loin
Smoked Picanha (tri-tip)
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts
Linguiça
Spicy Linguiça
Rice & Feijoada (Black Bean Stew)
Mojo Rojo Sauce (dried guajillo chiles, smoked paprika, garlic, olive oil)
Chimichurri Sauce (parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil)
Caipirinha cocktails with Cachaça
Pacoca (peanut candies)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-01-17 20:13 ]

H

Mike your food looks real delicious, you are quiet the cook.

Tonight's dinner
Butternut squash soup

and chicken fried rice with sesame seeds

Hilda, you inspired me to try some Butternut squash. I pureed mine like a cream soup.

I got some Moroccan Rub for Christmas and decided to use it tonight. Moroccan Rubbed Chicken with Yogurt Sauce, Mushroom Couscous, Grilled Zucchini, Eggplant, & Fennel Bulb with Harissa, and Baklava Rolls

Recreated the Vienna Curry served at Sara Curry House (formerly Indy Curry House), Kyobashi, Osaka.

Photograph of Sara Curry House Vienna Curry.

[ Edited by: Veronica! 2016-01-24 10:19 ]

Veronica!, The rules for this thread are please only post actual photos
of food you, yourself cooked & prepared.

We don't want to devolve into a typical Facebook page of folks posting photos from every place
they ate at, today.

T

Chocolate glaze with pomegranate and strawberry reduction sauce.
Plus homemade pomegranate and strawberry ice cream.

I made the cake ATP.
And sauce plus ice cream.
Even got a tiki in the shot.

On 2009-12-09 23:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Show us what you made for dinner,only rule, you have to make it yourself.

On 2016-01-24 16:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Veronica!, The rules for this thread are please only post actual photos
of food you, yourself cooked & prepared.

We don't want to devolve into a typical Facebook page of folks posting photos from every place
they ate at, today.

What makes you think I didn't make the Curry in the photograph. During college I worked at Sara. Which is how I knew to recreate recipe. Only exception was using ScandaRoux instead of S&B Curry Powder.

Nice job Skip! making from scratch....

Veronica! are those hot dogs on the rice?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2016-01-25 17:31 ]

On 2016-01-25 16:51, tikiskip wrote:
Chocolate glaze with pomegranate and strawberry reduction sauce.
Plus homemade pomegranate and strawberry ice cream.

I made the cake ATP.
And sauce plus ice cream.
Even got a tiki in the shot.

Skip, that Moai tray is killa! Is there a story that
comes with it? Grinds look ono-you’re a man of plenny talents

T

Yes there is nui 'umi 'umi see it here in this post.
They were a birthday gift for my wife, they are pot feet for your planters outdoors.
Was a trade I did with RVICTOR for a light.

You know I was dismayed by the lack of replies RVICTOR got when he posted about these
here on TC.
I am used to getting no feedback from the private clique that TC is now but did not think even his stuff would be shunned.

This kind of including only a few TC will kill this site.
Know of many tiki makers that don't bother posting on TC anymore due to
the frustration of it all.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=48501&forum=18&start=240

Hey Skip, my memory is going. I recall that post.
Mahalo

Vienna Sausage in Vienna Curry? Hmmm.... I'm not a big Vienna Sausage fan but maybe I just have had them prepared right yet.

Sometimes I like to spend all day cooking Ethiopian food or some such thing. Sometimes I just want to get a quick week night diner on the table. White Chicken Chili - 1 carton chicken broth, 2 cans white Northern beans, 1 small can salsa verde or green enchilada sauce, 2 cans chunk chicken, a bit of cumin and cracked black pepper. Simmer a bit and serve with avocados and queso fresco

H

Mexican rice,

Black beans,

Chicken Enciladas

With Margaritas

Delicioso!

ATP tells me he has been invited not to participate in Tiki Central (that's a nice way of saying "banned" - again). Kinda ironic, I think it was this thread that precipitated the events that got him banned before. This thread has been a source of food inspiration for me over the years and a meeting place for friends, old and new. ATP has asked me to watch over this thread and make sure it doesn't die, so keep posting your amazing food!

It must be exhausting going through life constantly offended.

Well, I don't cook, but I like this thread anyway. That dinner looks fantastic, hiltiki!

Ok, now I can post all my fast food pics!!!!

:lol:

T

I thought when I saw this post and ATP did not go off something was up.
"Help identifying source of Tiki mask?"

Is this forever?
Too bad if it is.

Would be like Dallas without JR.

I for one enjoy Lance’s (ATP) posts.

T

On 2016-02-17 23:23, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
I for one enjoy Lance’s (ATP) posts.

Me too, well most of them.

TM

ATP is a bit of a gadfly (he was shocked that I used that word!) but let me tell you about the guy: At many events I have gone to, there unfortunately can be a lot of cold, clique-y types who stare at you in an unfriendly manner, don't bother to even acknowledge you, make you feel unwelcome, etc....and ATP is NOT one of them. Before I barely knew him, I encountered him at an event. What a totally warm and friendly guy. In person, the man has ZERO attitude. He was funny, engaging, happy to talk about tiki. he didn't brag, didn't boast (and the guy does have an awesome tiki set up at home). All in all, the man was dripping with kindness and had a merry twinkle in his eye. It is my firm belief he just does not know how his printed words come out. You don't have to take my word for how he really is, outside the interwebz. Go up to him at any tiki event where he can usually be found helping his lovely wife vend, and see for yourself. This is a good-hearted, nice guy who would not willingly hurt anyone.

T

Did not see any big event that would kick him off.
So was it a campaign to oust via "kick him off" PMs?
I have never asked for anyone to be kicked off.

Yeah I think it is a bummer when we loose one of the dozen people that post regularly on the site. Conversation is a good thing... We can always look into the archives of this site and find a lot of knowledge, but if no one uses it, it will go away.

I guess we can expect the 50 people who used ATP as an excuse not to post to come back and post on this site regularly, right? RIGHT?!?

TM

[i]
I guess we can expect the 50 people who used ATP as an excuse not to post to come back and post on this site regularly, right? RIGHT?!?

I recently came back from a 2 year vacation. The same people who said they would quit this forum because of me never came back even while I was gone. I came back because I love tiki, and don't want to see the forum wither away due to inactivity.

And I can't resist the food pictures either. My own cooking never turns out the way I wanted it to. Lot's of great ideas on this thread.

K

I genuinely like to cook, but just as the shed and yard are my turf, so the kitchen is the life size wahines'.
This may change in the near future though, with a possible career change for her in the offing.
I might add that I am just as happy with good plain food and in no way follow any kind of gourmet trends.
Regardless, maybe soon I can post some of my hash.

Lucas Vigor: to a large degree YOU prompted me to start my home bar thread / posting here in general, when I did.
You remember "cribe" don't ya? - sure ya do...
At the time, the do-do really seemed to be hit'n the fan and I thought - crap, here goes another awesome forum imploding on itself, with everyone get'n the jack and leaving - I may as well just go ahead and start posting.
As it turned out, the above didn't really happen because of the strength of character displayed by the principal members.
I hadn't intended starting my thread until maybe a year or so later than I did because I knew there would be the initial splurge of activity, with progress slowing when it came to building the finer, major projects - namely the actual bar cabinet and top [which is finally finished, by the way], and all the other detailed works needed - there is only so much spare time can afforded on projects like these, especially as I've promised my wife a new kitchen and bathroom for quite some time.
Here, I will say that her patience is a constant source of wonder - what she wants with an old sinner like me, I'll never know - but I do know she loves the Tiki bar as much as I do, sooo...
Anyway, besides the fact that you're often a prickly bastard and an opinionated arsehole [lol-just kidding] it's great that you're posting again.

ATP: what the hell? banned? for what? because he doesn't like hot dog sausages for dinner? that's bullshit.
Oh... ok, asked not to participate - well, that doesn't sound so bad, maybe when the dust settles a little...
If anyone can look at his home and successfully argue that he doesn't have a handle on Tiki, maybe I'll post my sautéed hat... with some croutons, and a nice salsa.
I dig your posts, and like I've said - I like plain food, but the world without spice would be a very boring place.

T

So ATP could come back?
Maybe he could be reborn and go with PTA a kinder more gentile
old punk rocker.

Saw this some time ago by Tiki king I think it fits here.

"if no one ever crossed the line, we would all still think the earth was flat. If we all stood neatly behind the line, there would be no space flight. If we all carefully stayed in our place, there would have been no exploration, no voyages of discovery. When you think about it, the whole Tiki "scene" is an an insult to some people. If we all kept our mouths shut, afraid we might offend, there would be no Tiki Bars, no Tiki mugs, no Tiki culture. So are we going to sit idly by as our entire identity is taken away because some people can’t take a joke? Are we ready to give up freedom just to be safe from the threat of feeling as though a joke was made at our expense? Are you ready to destroy all things Tiki because some find our cartoon Ku’s to be an outrage?"

I was going to post a big batch of Bennie wennies just to poke at ATP too.

Oh... ok, asked not to participate - well, that doesn't sound so bad, maybe when the dust settles a little...

The "asked not to participate" was my wording because, as komohana said, it didn't sound so bad. You can't base the length of the ban on that, sorry.

TM

On 2016-02-18 20:12, komohana wrote:

I genuinely like to cook, but just as the shed and yard are my turf, so the kitchen is the life size wahines'.
This may change in the near future though, with a possible career change for her in the offing.
I might add that I am just as happy with good plain food and in no way follow any kind of gourmet trends.
Regardless, maybe soon I can post some of my hash.

Lucas Vigor: to a large degree YOU prompted me to start my home bar thread / posting here in general, when I did.
You remember "cribe" don't ya? - sure ya do...
At the time, the do-do really seemed to be hit'n the fan and I thought - crap, here goes another awesome forum imploding on itself, with everyone get'n the jack and leaving - I may as well just go ahead and start posting.
As it turned out, the above didn't really happen because of the strength of character displayed by the principal members.
I hadn't intended starting my thread until maybe a year or so later than I did because I knew there would be the initial splurge of activity, with progress slowing when it came to building the finer, major projects - namely the actual bar cabinet and top [which is finally finished, by the way], and all the other detailed works needed - there is only so much spare time can afforded on projects like these, especially as I've promised my wife a new kitchen and bathroom for quite some time.
Here, I will say that her patience is a constant source of wonder - what she wants with an old sinner like me, I'll never know - but I do know she loves the Tiki bar as much as I do, sooo...
Anyway, besides the fact that you're often a prickly bastard and an opinionated arsehole [lol-just kidding] it's great that you're posting again.

ATP: what the hell? banned? for what? because he doesn't like hot dog sausages for dinner? that's bullshit.
If anyone can look at his home and successfully argue that he doesn't have a handle on Tiki, maybe I'll post my sautéed hat... with some croutons, and a nice salsa.
I dig your posts, and like I've said - I like plain food, but the world without spice would be a very boring place.

OMG ! The CRIBE thread was GREAT!

Yah, that situation was pretty clear.

I do hope ATP is allowed back. Banning in this case really bugs me.

I shouldn't add fuel but I can't help being reminded of that band Old Skull and their big hit: "Hot Dog Hell."

A spice homage to ATP.....they all fit a particular need. :) OGR

H

last night we had turkey cutlets with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts.

Mmm. Another thing I wouldn't have cooked but looks really good. I love stuff that's all brown and crispy.

Looks great Hilda! I love turtle heads (Brussels sprouts) but no one else in my family does :(

I saw Tortilla Crusted Tilapia in the store and thought "Why not put that over the top with DORITO Crusted Tilapia!?" It was alright but not fabulous :lol:

Also white rice and corn with sauted mushrooms and peppers

V

On 2016-02-18 08:40, tikiskip wrote:

Immediately before ATP was banned: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51130&forum=20&start=0&29

Then he posted, "This is the beginning of the pussification of TC," on Tiki Shout.

I consider insubordination sufficient for ban. As we say in my country, "Yep, that'll do 'er!" It helps if you speak with southern USA accent like Larry the Cable Guy. Just as ATP has instructed everyone to read his jokes as if he were Kelsey Grammer so we comprehend the side-splitting humour. Which I still do not get.

If it is not funny the first time, odds are unfavorable it will be funny the twelfth time. Unicorns. Hai.

Many people who have met ATP mention he is such a wonderful guy. You would be hard pressed to prove it by here. In the shipping container thread, "Not really tiki is it?" is rhetorical not interrogatory so does not qualify as question despite punctuation. Perhaps English is ATP's second language like me. But when we do not understand something such as shipping containers or Vienna curry or Wauwatiki, give benefit of doubt rather than confront. And when the confronted person shows her displeasure, do not backpedal, revise history, and make yourself martyr.

Call a spade a spade. This is his third ban? Recidivist behaviour.

Atomic Tiki Punk is his own worst enemy.

T

"English is ATP's second language like me."

No I think his second language is cuss words.

But to be fair you said some things (that I thought were funny) But in the strictest
reading of the rules would have got you kicked off too.
In fact I asked if you were kicked off for that.

If you had been kicked off I would have also said I did not see why you got kicked off
just as I did for ATP.

I feel that both you and ATP add to this forum, even though ATP at times did go a bit overboard.

TM

On 2016-03-04 13:40, Veronica! wrote:

On 2016-02-18 08:40, tikiskip wrote:

Immediately before ATP was banned: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51130&forum=20&start=0&29

Then he posted, "This is the beginning of the pussification of TC," on Tiki Shout.

I consider insubordination sufficient for ban. As we say in my country, "Yep, that'll do 'er!" It helps if you speak with southern USA accent like Larry the Cable Guy. Just as ATP has instructed everyone to read his jokes as if he were Kelsey Grammer so we comprehend the side-splitting humour. Which I still do not get.

If it is not funny the first time, odds are unfavorable it will be funny the twelfth time. Unicorns. Hai.

Many people who have met ATP mention he is such a wonderful guy. You would be hard pressed to prove it by here. In the shipping container thread, "Not really tiki is it?" is rhetorical not interrogatory so does not qualify as question despite punctuation. Perhaps English is ATP's second language like me. But when we do not understand something such as shipping containers or Vienna curry or Wauwatiki, give benefit of doubt rather than confront. And when the confronted person shows her displeasure, do not backpedal, revise history, and make yourself martyr.

Call a spade a spade. This is his third ban? Recidivist behaviour.

Atomic Tiki Punk is his own worst enemy.

Actually, Leleliz aka sandra dee aka whoever you are this week after being banned each time is ATPs worst enemy. The giveaway? new to the forum, instantly jumping into the ATP controversy. Get a life, Liz. You jump all over people yet not once have you recognized your own bad behavior. Not once.

T

I don't think Veronica! is the one who's name shall not be mentioned, er Liz.

Had no problem with Liz myself, or ATP Or Veronica!
Just thought that would be funny.

V

On 2016-03-04 14:52, tikiskip wrote:
"English is ATP's second language like me."

No I think his second language is cuss words.

But to be fair you said some things (that I thought were funny) But in the strictest
reading of the rules would have got you kicked off too.
In fact I asked if you were kicked off for that.

If you had been kicked off I would have also said I did not see why you got kicked off
just as I did for ATP.

I feel that both you and ATP add to this forum, even though ATP at times did go a bit overboard.

Thank you for correcting me.

TM

On 2016-03-04 15:46, tikiskip wrote:
I don't think Veronica! is the one who's name shall not be mentioned, er Liz.

Had no problem with Liz myself, or ATP Or Veronica!
Just thought that would be funny.

Could just be a cooincidence. Anyway, i wish we could stop with the ATP bashing. The curmudgeon Is gone, and i hate seeing a man kicked when he is down. Its not like he murdered anyone!

T

“Thank you for correcting me.”
I was just trying to explain myself, not correcting.

“i wish we could stop with the ATP bashing”
And I was defending ATP.

Remember the very sward used to cut the person who you hate could be the same sward that takes you out too.
This is not aimed at anyone but just a saying.

Plus it sounds like ATP was asked to take a break maybe and not so much kicked out.

TM

That wasnt directed at you , skip!

I’m proud to know em both-they can be delightful in person. So....What’s cooking.?

V

On 2016-03-04 15:34, lucas vigor wrote:
Actually, Leleliz aka sandra dee aka whoever you are this week after being banned each time is ATPs worst enemy. The giveaway? new to the forum, instantly jumping into the ATP controversy. Get a life, Liz. You jump all over people yet not once have you recognized your own bad behavior. Not once.

I look forward to meeting you.

TM

On 2016-03-05 03:03, Veronica! wrote:

On 2016-03-04 15:34, lucas vigor wrote:

I look forward to meeting you.

Is that a threat, Liz? You have a history of making threats against me on this forum. AS I said before, if I am at an event and you make a move against me, you are getting arrested. Get it? I saved all the screen shots of posts where you appear to be making threats.

Sorry your fish wasn't a bigger hit, MadDog. I'm not a fish eater, but adding Doritos is the kind of culinary creativity I can appreciate. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies