Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

All kinds of good stuff here!
Glad I could amuse you with the goat head :)
DC, California Sheephead? Nice looking ceviche.
Komohana, very interesting. Nice looking squids, you catch them? If so, how? I'm not a big seafood fan but those stuffed squids are a great presentation. I haven't seen any broccolini in a while. I'm curious what kind of chorizo you get in Oz? Is it a solid (sliceable) sausage like Spanish or Portuguese chorizo? Or does it crumble when you cook it like Mexican chorizo?

K

hey Mike,

Yes, I caught the squid, or at least some - most :lol:..

I think with one of my brothers on that particular day..

Very easy to catch - I/we use these hand line jigs..

Always a good laugh if there are ladies on-board, a well aimed squid can squirt a LOT of ink. :lol:

The chorizo is the hard Spanish type - but one of our local grocers sells the butt ends of salami, pepperoni, etc. cheap -
these work equally well, if not better.

By the way, the larger island in my photograph above is named after an American whaling vessel from the days of sail.
They were fishing - poaching :lol: - and were run aground in a squall. There being no settlement in those days,
the poor buggers were forced to walk all the way to Fremantle - but as I understand it, no lives were lost. :)

Very good fishing in this region - the squid are an added bonus to while away a few hours.

[ Edited by: komohana 2016-04-01 19:51 ]

Not very visually appealing - all the same color - but it was tasty!
Crispy Orange.... Cauliflower! WHAAAAA???? Special request from our resident vegetarian - battered, fried, and coated in orange sauce. Half of the fried rice was vegetarian but mine had Linguiça (Portuguese Choriso), a man has to have SOME meat!

H

lots of nice cooking around here, love seeing what people cook. Mike, your food is very beige hehe..

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2016-04-09 19:09 ]

OK Hilda, this is more green than beige LOL Mongolian BBQ which, ironically, isn't Mongolian or BBQ. Scallops, chicken, and pork with all the veggies and sauces to choose from

Zucchini War Canoe filled with White Rice and Kalua Pork, Grilled Pineapple Outrigger, and Cucumber Orca on a Melmac lagoon :D

That is genius. Genius!

H

On 2016-04-12 18:33, MadDogMike wrote:
Zucchini War Canoe filled with White Rice and Kalua Pork, Grilled Pineapple Outrigger, and Cucumber Orca on a Melmac lagoon :D

Genius indeed. MadDogMike Wins!

H

Mike, you come up with the best ideas, love your pictures.
Komohana, loved your kitchen and everything in it.
Dusty, I love seafood better than anything and yours always looks delicious.

Here are some pictures of tuna casserole I made last night.
Mike I know you don't like seafood, one of these days I will make some meat dishes, hehe.

H

oy! forgot last picture

T

Pineapple upside down cake.

Hilda, It's not that I "don't like" seafood - there are just so many things I like better :lol:

Nice cake Skip

Vegetarian Eggplant Timbale
Line a springform pan with thinly sliced and grilled eggplant. Fill with sauted mushrooms, Italian veggies, ziti, Italian cheeses, marinara sauce and bake

Eggplant upside down cake!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

H

Nice breakfast dish for Mother's Day.

Looks DELICIOUS!!! Hilda!

H

Thank you Mike, it was delicious, I like your eggplant timbale, it looks like a melted Brie thingy out of the oven.

Felt like baking.

Dbl crust apple pie

Apple with a handful of blueberries.

Drat!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-05-09 23:11 ]

YUM! :Drool: Butter recipe crust?

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-05-10 17:21 ]

T

Strawberry rhubarb pie.

Rhubarb from our garden.
We put Pomegranate juice in ours.

Nice! Does the pomegranate juice add a flavor or just for color

T

"Nice! Does the pomegranate juice add a flavor or just for color"
Well it does both but I do it for flavor.
I cook pomegranate juice down and reduce with some sugar for a better concentrated flavor.

You need to get the pomegranate juice in November here and freeze the juice till now
when the strawberry's and rhubarb are in season.

Most people would just think wow these are some really good strawberry's.

Now is the time to get the ataulfo mango from Mexico.
If you have not had these they are very good.
We peel and vac them for use in the summer.

this is what they look like.
much better than the red Mango.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mangos&oq=mangos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6018j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=mangos+ataulfo+mexico

We call those Champagne mangoes here, very good!

T

Yes they are called that too.

The Ataúlfo, also called young, baby, yellow, honey, Adaulfo, Adolfo, or Champagne is a mango cultivar from Mexico. Wikipedia

Ice, rum, mango, blend,= drink.

H

Dave, your apple blueberry pie looks delicious.

Another episode of curry shrimp this time over noodles.

I don't eat those sea roaches Trav (allergic) but I will fight for your right to eat them :lol: Makes a nice picture though

This recipe for Kalua pig is Sam Choy’s version. Absolutely ono! I cooked mine in a Weber and did not use the pan with water. Pix next time. Btw, I served mine with steamed rice and a thick slice of grilled pineapple.

NGREDIENTS
1 5- to 5 1/4-pound boneless pork butt roast
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Hawaiian alaea sea salt or coarse sea salt
3 frozen banana leaves, thawed
6 cups water, divided
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350°F. Using small sharp knife, cut 1/4-inch-deep slits 1 inch apart all over pork roast. Rub 2 tablespoons sea salt all over pork. Unfold 1 banana leaf on work surface and place pork roast atop leaf. Fold up leaf around pork, enclosing completely. Repeat wrapping pork in remaining 2 banana leaves, 1 at a time.
Tie with kitchen string to secure, then wrap roast in foil. Place pork in roasting pan; pour 4 cups water into pan.
Roast pork in oven until very tender when pierced with fork, about 5 hours. Unwrap pork and cool slightly. Shred pork and place in large bowl. Bring remaining 2 cups water and remaining 2 teaspoons salt to boil in small saucepan. Add liquid smoke; pour over pork and stir to blend. Let stand 10 minutes to allow liquid to flavor pork. Serve.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-05-16 22:59 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-05-17 23:28 ]

Ummmm... Kalua Pork!!!!

Dinner tonight. Tuna Poke on the left for those who eat raw meat and Chicken Salad on the right for those who's ancestors learned how to use fire.

Mike, Dat Poke looks ono! Billys on the Beach ( on PCH in Newport Beach) serves their Ahi poke wid avocado
Cheers

H

Mike that looks fantastic, I don't do raw fish but it sure looks good. I will take the chicken on the right. :)

H

Fresh vegetable pasta dish

That looks delicious AND healthy!

Dangggggggg
Mmmmmmm

H

Shrimp pasta dish with creamy sauce.

No shrimp for me Hilda but it looks pretty :wink:

Over the past year I have posted a few pics of Spanish food I have experimented with in preparation for a party. Well tonight was the party for 20 people. 11 different tapas - Manchego Cheese & Spanish Chorizo, Smoked Salmon & Dilled Cream Cheese, Hummus with Spinach and Artichokes, Sliced Egg & Spanish Olives, Grilled Eggplant with Capers & Aioli, Marinated Mozzarella & Grape Tomatoes, Proscuitto & Honeydew, Champinones al Ajillo (Mushrooms with Garlic), Potatoes with Smoked Paprika, Abondigas (Meatballs) in Sofrito, Linguiça al la Sidra (Portuguese Sausage in Cider). Also Gazpacho, Paella (Linguiça, Chicken, Mussels), Tri-tip with Sofrito & Mojo Rojo, Sangria, and Flan.

H

Wow Mike, that looks amazing and delicious. How were you able to make all of this in one shot, looks like a lot of work.

Thanks Hilda, I did a lot of the prep the day before - Gazpacho, Mojo Rojo, and most of the chopping/cubing/etc.

H

A friend brought some wild caught halibut over and here are some pictures of the dinner I made.

Breakfast is my favorite meal.

Hilda and nui 'umi 'umi, those both look delicious!

I saw chubs of polenta in the store. I'm sure WalMart chubbed polenta probably isn't the highest quality but I had never tried polenta before so I figured I didn't have anything to lose :lol:

Fresh sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, & bell peppers, with Italian sausage and red sauce served over pan fried polenta rounds and topped with mozzarella cheese. Turned out well enough but I wasn't all that impressed with the polenta. It would have been better over angel hair pasta.

I guess I have a fascination for cornmeal mush? I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to make some Columbian/Venezuelan arepas. Kind of like an English muffin made of cornmeal used to make a sandwich on. The cornmeal was interesting - made from "pre-cooked" corn, not exactly sure what that process is? Not soaked in lime (nixtamalized) like masa for tortillas or tamales. The arepas are browned on a griddle first then baked for a bit. They are kind of bland (just cornmeal, water, and salt) so I made the toppings nice and spicy. Served with shredded beef, shredded chicken, flaked salmon, black beans, shredded cheese, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, etc. For dessert I wrapped bananas, cream cheese, and guava paste in raw tortillas and fried them (sorry, no pic)

T

Brought this recipe back from the islands

TROPICAL RISOTTO

1 diced onion
4 tablespoons parsley
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cups raw arborio rice (risotto rice)
8 oz. coconut milk
Chicken stock, as needed
1 cup fresh cream

Chop the onion, parsley, and garlic, and saute in some coconut oil. Add the raw rice and continue sauteing. Add some coconut milk, chicken stock, and cream until rice is completely covered. Constantly stir the rice mixture and add liquid as the rice dries. Cook until it gets soft and sticky.

Rin-Kon-Tiki

[ Edited by: Tele295 2016-07-19 10:51 ]

H

David and Mike, nice looking food you got there, yum!!. Tele, one of these days I might have to try this, it sounds delicious and I love rice dishes.

Have for many years wanted to put a Rotisserie on my grill.
It's kinda hard to find all the right parts.
Plus the motors they sell in the Rotisserie kits are very cheep.

Found this one at a garage sale for $5.00 bucks.
But had to do some rigging and use some other parts I had.

It was really good!
Chicken with grilled vegies.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies