Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

H

skip, You are so creative and this looks delicious.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2016-07-26 10:44 ]

T

Thanks hiltiki,
That shrimp dish you did looked great too.
I love shrimp but my wife does not so don't have it as much.

Cooking is lots o fun to me it is a hobby, passion and even the way
I made a living for 20 or more years working for others and then owning
my own diner called Jacks after my father.
So being born into the business may have been a push to cook as well.
Even worked at Ohio State University cooking for 3000 students a night, we
made pasta in a 100 gallon steam kettle where we would cook 40 pounds of pasta at a time.

I do miss the restaurant work but it is a young mans game and I am not young any more.

So try new things at home.
Grilled, smoked food is WAY better right off the grill.
When you go to a BBQ joint it is just not the same.

Plus when you do many different things in life it makes you a more interesting person
as you have at least some first hand knowledge about weird fun stuff.
And if your weird task messes up you have a great story about the day you Messed up.

Go Skip!

Go, Skip!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-07-27 20:07 ]

H

My favorite meal would be either grilled or BBQ-ed food both of which I don't know how to prepare. I usually end up making vegetarian or seafood meals because my husband doesn't eat meat or chicken. I always order fillet minion when going out to restaurants because I love it. So when I see a meat or chicken on the barbecue it looks extremely good to me. I think there is an art to making barbecued food correctly and I am yet to learn it.

Fillet minion is very easy on the grill, and Shrimp or Lobster is awesome on the grill.
These three items are easy to grill because they cook so fast.
And heck the worst you can do is over cook them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0V9si0doN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIkj_IQq-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek-O7PN-Jqo

On 2016-07-28 09:41, hiltiki wrote:
My favorite meal would be either grilled or BBQ-ed food both of which I don't know how to prepare. I usually end up making vegetarian or seafood meals because my husband doesn't eat meat or chicken. I always order fillet minion when going out to restaurants because I love it. So when I see a meat or chicken on the barbecue it looks extremely good to me. I think there is an art to making barbecued food correctly and I am yet to learn it.

Now’s the time to start Hilda-even the misteaks are tasty.
Good luck

H

I am looking at the u tube video skip posted on how to grill shrimp and it looks good so next time that is what I will try but do you guys think I will be able to grill properly if I have a cheap ass $99.00 gas barbecue I bought several years ago that we hardly ever use? seriously the only time we use it if the guest are willing to do the cooking on it since both of us don't ever use it, haha

I love it Skip. I especially like that you got the motor WAY out of the way so the heat doesn't damage it :lol:

We had our biennial Olympics party last week, Brazilian food to honor the host country. This was a group effort so only some of the food is mine

A small sample plate of the foods. Clockwise starting at 12:00 - Frango Churrasco, Pao de Queijo, Pure de Batata Doce Nordestino, Feijoada and White Rice, Picanha Churrasco, Linguica, Chimichurri, & Mojo Rojo

Desert Plate

Up next, Korean food in 2016

On 2016-07-30 11:23, hiltiki wrote:
I am looking at the u tube video skip posted on how to grill shrimp and it looks good so next time that is what I will try but do you guys think I will be able to grill properly if I have a cheap ass $99.00 gas barbecue I bought several years ago that we hardly ever use? seriously the only time we use it if the guest are willing to do the cooking on it since both of us don't ever use it, haha

We Luv shrimp on the barbie here.
The secret, imo, is to take it off the grill as quick as it turns pink. Just takes minutes. I hover over the grill when there’s shrimp or fish invovled.

Awesome Brazilian kine menu Mike. Here’s what we have when it’s 90+ degrees in La Mirada at 9 in the A M. Nuttin that needs heat.
Cheers

TM

how did you make the chimichurri sauce?

On 2016-08-18 15:54, lucas vigor wrote:
how did you make the chimichurri sauce?

Not @MadDogMike, but this is a good recipe:
http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/02/chimichurri-aka-magic-sauce/

LUCAS!!!!!

Thanks Tiki Drifter. My daughter actually made that batch of chimichurri but that recipe is very similar to what I have used in the past. Some recipes call for replacing 1/4 of the parsley with cilantro which adds a nice flavor twist.

Beef Fajitas, Spanish Rice, Refried Beans, Guacamole, and a Special Quesadilla. The Special Quesadillas are a fried cheese turnover made of flour torilla dough and have been a regional favorite for 50+ years but are seldom seen outside of the Imperial Valley

For dessert, puffed flour tortilla chips dusted with cinnamon sugar and drizzled with chili chocolate. Served with vanilla ice cream.

H

Mike this looks delicious, what is a puffed flour tortilla?

On 2016-08-24 17:45, hiltiki wrote:
Mike this looks delicious, what is a puffed flour tortilla?

It’s a Sopapilla Hilda. There’s a billion recipes on line although not often found in Mexican restaurants north of the border.
Try it , you’ll like it.
Later,
David

Thanks Dave, I had forgotten the word "sopapilla" - haven't heard it in years. Hilda I used packaged uncooked flour tortillas, cut them in wedges, and deep fried them.

H

Thank you David and Mike Sopapilla sounds good.
Last nights dinner vegetable lasagna

ummmm, looks great Hilda!

T

Yeah looks good.
We used to sell the stouffer's vegetable lasagna At OSU as it was easy for the
cooks to make.
It was good, then it got not as good.

Just found a recipe for it.

Ingredients

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of nutmeg
½ cup each well drained finely chopped carrots, spinach, broccoli, onions
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 cloves minced garlic
1 egg
1 lb. cooked lasagna noodles
1 cup buttered bread crumbs*

Directions

For the sauce: Make a white roux by whisking flour and melted butter over a medium flame; add milk, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk constantly until mixture is thickened. Set aside.
Combine the veggies, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, and egg. Mix together well.
Put a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of the pan, followed by a layer of cooked noodles, veggie mix, sauce, repeat til you've used it all up. Top with buttered bread crumbs and bake at 400° covered til bubbly, 45-60 minutes,. Remove cover and allow to brown for about ten minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
(To make buttered breadcrumbs simply pour melted butter over the crumbs)

Serves about 6
Recipe, dairy, copycat kosher

hiltiki, that looks beautiful! It's so refreshing to see food that's actually cooked long enough!
I bet it was fantastic.

H

Thank you Skip, Mike and Bamalamalu, yes it was very tasty. I usually make a Marinara sauce in addition and pour it on top when we serve the meal.

Bánh mì - Vietnamese sandwiches

Vegetarian Enchiladas with sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, and olives.

I know most of you are anti-Facebook holdouts but there has been a recipe floating around Facebook for Mississippi Pot Roast with butter, dry au jus mix, dry Ranch dressing mix, and pepperoncini peppers. It was good but not amazing.

(Don't judge me for the butter on the mashed potatoes :lol: )

H

Mike you are on a roll with all these meals, you keep inspiring us all to post pictures.

T

Won’t judge you for the butter on the mashed potatoes but this “Ranch dressing mix’
Uuggg.

When I worked at the Ohio state University the students put ranch dressing on EVERYTHING
Even French fries!

Sooo if you are setting a trap and want to catch young college students ranch dressing is the Bait you would use is this case.

The bait for wannabe fake chefs is whole grain mustard, they can’t cook without it.

Thanks Hilda :)
These look like bait Skip, got any recipes for "chicken paws" with Ranch dressing or whole grain mustard? :wink:

OK, one more then I'll give it a rest. Do you or a friend have vegetarian tendencies and psychotherapy hasn't helped? :lol: Try seitan - made from wheat protein (gluten). It had a texture that is closer to meat than any other meat substitute I have tried. It also had about 25 gms of protein for 4 ounces, very close to meat. Pan fry it with a little oil to crisp it up and it takes seasonings very well. I have tried it for fajitas, shawarma, bahn mi, stroganoff, BBQ sandwiches, Philly Cheesesteak, and here grilled teriyaki. Dessert is Chai Coconut Ice Cream. (PS - I didn't eat the seitan-devil meat, I made teriyaki chicken for the carnivores :wink: )

Busy kitchen lately, Mad Dog! I don't understand the concept of fake meat, but I tried flavored/prepared seitan once and it wasn't bad.

There's a weird (kinda sorta) Death Metal themed vegan restaurant here. It seems odd to specifically Not have meat in that environment, but I guess they figure they make up for it by serving SEITAN!

Chicken feet yuk.
Can't take that Gelatinous skin fat texture.
Make chix stock out of them.
My dishwasher at the restaurant one day had a foil package in the oven come to find out it was pig tails, same Gelatinous skin fat texture.

Was in a cooks competition at OSU where you had to use seitan or tofu, If I had to not use meat I would go with morel mushrooms or portabella mushrooms.

Man things like pig tails and chicken feet or tripe that is what poor people ate because they were very cheap or even free way back when.

bamalamalu, I have 2 teenage stepdaughters who have become vegetarian :( For most teens, vegetarian means skip the burger and have two orders of fries so I worry about them getting enough protein. Yes, heavy metal vegetarian does seem like an oxymoron.
Skip, all those things that we ate as a kid because they were cheap have become "gourmet". Have your priced beef tongue lately? :o

Well part of the reason these scrap or tough meats are costing more now is we learned how to cook them and marinade them to make them not so tough and taste good.
Think of flank steak.

The other reason may be because the fact that there are more people from other parts of the world living in America now and they want these meats we don't eat so much.

If you go to other parts of the world they tend to like dark meat chicken, in Asia it is only the eldest member of the family out of respect that get the chicken wings, here some throw those out.
But here more like the white meat chicken and it costs more.
You can't sell much white meat chicken in some parts of the world.
Heck it's even getting hard to find whole chickens with the necks and gizzards at the stores some times.
AND price the whole chickens vs the cut up parts of chickens.
It costs way less, so learn how to cut up a chicken it's not that hard.

I like the dark chicken with the bone while my wife likes the boneless white meat.
But it works out as we eat the whole bird that way.

How much food do you think Americans throw away at Thanksgiving alone?
Man I use that whole bird, the leftovers and soup is the best part of Thanksgiving!

Good Eats S4E3P1: Fry Hard II - The Chicken (Butchery)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9OLPC-dkE

This is a good one too.

Gordon Ramsay: How to Part a Chicken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

This is cool…
How to bone and roll a whole chicken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dworCHCm3ts

Pretty way to tie the chix…
How To. Debone A Whole Chicken.A Stuffed Chicken Cushion. TheScottReaProject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MBYdoSMk1Y

How to Debone a Chicken in 18seconds?
Martin Yan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHmyAoY-HrA

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-26 11:19 ]

I did the de-boning thing a couple years back to make up some Turduckens, it goes pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. I'm sure you've spatchcocked a chicken before? (I like to use that work cuz it sounds nasty :lol: ) Cut out the backbone with a pair of kitchen shears and butterfly it, they grill much more evenly, works well for turkeys too. Then there's beer can chicken, I made these ceramic accessories to "gild the lily" :wink:

Speaking of chicken prices, I notice to cost less to buy a whole roasted chicken than it does for a raw one :o

T

Would bet they whole roast the old birds so they don't go bad.
But then they at least here, use Chicken that has been brined, I hate the texture of brined meat as it makes the meat spongy.

The chicken industry got the celebrity chefs to get us to think brining was good so they could sell us birds that are made more heavy with water.
Brining is not for me.

Yes, pre-brined meat and pre-mixed antifreeze are 2 of the most lucrative scams ever LOL

Chile Verde over white rice and salad. But I really wanted to show off our new plates :lol:
Finally convinced the beautiful wife to get rid of those (fill in the adjective) olive plates

H

Nice dishes Mike.

Lat nights dinner Salmon, veggies and salad

I put Dijon mustard, lemon and capers on top before cooking in the oven.

Some steamed broccoli, I added Olive oil and lemon on top before serving

Salad and fresh bread tomatoes from the garden

dinner

Looks delish Hilda!!! Have you ever wrapped salmon in foil and cooked it in the DISHWASHER?!!! It works, I tried it years ago, But the asparagus didn't cook in the dishwasher :lol:

T

Nice plates Mike.
And hiltiki put that fish minus the dish just foil on the grill and it's great that way.
Supper easy!

We do Salmon that way on the grill.

TM

On 2016-10-03 19:33, MadDogMike wrote:

Chile Verde over white rice and salad. But I really wanted to show off our new plates :lol:
Finally convinced the beautiful wife to get rid of those (fill in the adjective) olive plates

would you mind sharing the recipe for the chili verde?

K

On 2016-10-05 11:57, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2016-10-03 19:33, MadDogMike wrote:

would you mind sharing the recipe for the chili verde?

yeah, looks like a nice square meal.

Square meal :lol:

Lucas, it was a simple crockpot weeknight dinner. Pork roast cut in cubes. Sear a bit in a hot frying pan. Put in crockpot with a big can of green enchilada sauce on low all day. It was a bit runny so I added a little cornstarch to thicken. Served over some medium grain white rice. Leftovers made burritos the next day with some cheese and refried beans

Steamed and baked Bao

T

Circleville Pumpkin Show Largest Pumpkin Pie
100th Anniversary Pie!!!

14 feet in diameter
360 pounds of sugar
795 pounds of pumpkin
60 lbs. of powered milk
60 dozen eggs
75 gallons of water
400 lbs. of flour
15 people to mix
10 hours to bake

For more Halloween go here...
http://www.pumpkinshow.com/index.asp
AND..
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48294&forum=6&50

*•..(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Let Tikiskip light up your Halloween¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Add about 500 cans of whipped cream and it's perfect!!!!!

T

I think I heard that they feed it to pigs after the show being that it sits out for days
and must collect lots of well everything.

The show is a great time!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies