Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

H

Turkey Chili,
This was an Emeril Lagasee recipe with close to 20 ingredients and included was his Southwest Essence which was about 9 items. Fortunately I had lots of time and patience and I made it happen.

T

Love the wall fish.
Dish looks good.
It looks like you have a good understanding of cooking by what you post.

Saw a TV show on Emeril Lagasee where his old boss at the Commander's Palace Ella Brennan said he was not a good cook but had a good personality she also told him to drop his real name it was alegasee or something like that.

I saw that ONCE, the food network killed that mess quick.

We ate at NLOA once it sucked,did not say any thing because somebody else was paying and did not want to make them feel bad.

But try Paul Prudhomme's stuff, he can cook!
Or even Jacques Pepin.

OGR

Hiltiki, It looks like a well executed dish! Love your Green le Creuset also.

H

Thank you Or Got Rum and Tikiskip. Skip, I don't usually use Emeril's recipes, but I needed something with a kick for the bland turkey meat and he had the perfect recipe, this chili was delicious.

T

Yeah a recipe is a jumping off point anyway.

My wife puts jalapeños and cheese crackers in ground turkey maybe some onion then makes turkey burgers with it.

20 ingredients? I don't have the attention span for that! LOL Hilda, what are the fried rounds with the rice? Plantains?

H

Mike those are fried potatoes.

I got a few dinners to post:
Halloween dinner - Orange Bell Pepper Jack-o-lanterns stuffed with chicken, brown rice. and quinoa. Mummy jalapeno poppers

Next, an "oh crap, I don't have anything planned for dinner" dinner :lol: Found masa harina in the cupboard so I made sopes, little fat corn patties that you deep fry and top like a tostado

Last, a stab at some food art. We are planning a Benihana style party in January so I tried a zucchini and carrot dragon. I used fat zucchini instead of skinny ones and it ended up looking like an alligator :lol: Drizzled with sesame oil and adobo seasoning then steamed, served with salt & pepper fish and white rice.

OGR

Been busy, Huh Mike? Awesome and very creative looking food.

Thanks OGR. I have been waiting 6 months for our 100+ degree summer to be over to try this - Peruvian Soup. Inca Red Quinoa, roasted yams, roasted cuy (guinea pig), topped with fresh cilantro. OK, I used regular pig and not guinea pig :lol: It was worth the wait

H

Mike you are so creative and outside the box when it comes to cooking.

Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup

add loads of heavy cream

Thanks Hilda, I am out of the box! :lol:

It's SOUP season! The temps are dipping down into the low 70s now :o That soup looks delicious!

T

On 2016-11-10 17:13, MadDogMike wrote:
It's SOUP season! The temps are dipping down into the low 70s now :o That soup looks delicious!

So do you all make your own Stock?
I do and it's the way to go on soup.
Made Turkey stock yesterday, going to need that soon.

Have made black bean, navy bean, chili, last month.
Am making chicken soup this weekend.

Then TURKEY soup!!!

I have to confess that I don't make my own stock. One of these days I want to try some pho stock with the roasted bones and veggies.

T

Well I don't do it every time I need stock, but often.
Can see the Swanson brand used here that's what I use too.

You need to make some stock this Thanksgiving.

Home made soup from your own stock can't be beat, and I make a ton and freeze it so you get many meals from your hard work.

Great when you have a cold.

My brother and I were planning a 7 course Benihana style Christmas party for about 50 people (doesn't look like it's going to happen this year). But I did a 5 course practice run for a few people last night.

Chef Soo Shee (me) made California Rolls and served warm sake

Chef Jacques Couzee (also me) served Curry Soup with rice "bathers".

Chef Sum Ting Wong (me too) made Dragon Noodles with a zucchini and carrot dragon (he looks better than the one a few posts up), chicken, ramen noodles, and Siracha

Chef No Tsmo King (yep, me) made Beef Stir Fry and an onion volcano

Chef Sum Dum Gai (you guessed it) was going to make an apple dessert but the apples were cantankerous

So he made Asian Bananas Foster Flambe instead with dragon tattoo'd bananas, Canton Ginger Liqueur and Sesame Honey Sticks

And a good time was had by all :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-11-13 16:16 ]

T

That grill looks PHO king Awesome!
Is it in your back yard?

Want one of those.
Cool dragon too.

Gleet Job!

Aloha Mike
Lookin good

1st post here
So it has to have bacon :)

Yes Skip, here are some more pics of the back yard. The griddle I picked up from Amazon for $170, free shipping with Amazon Prime. I have used it twice in the past month and it really works well. Heats up fast, two H burners so it cooks pretty evenly.

That looks DELICIOUS Jon, that's a lot of BACON!!! :o :D

H

Jon, welcome to cooking thread, your pasta dish looks delicious.
Mike, I am speechless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good Mike.

Do you know the best way to clean it?

Here is a good video.
Our grill became almost non stick after years doing it this way.

Do NOT use ice, That draws out the oil, and can crack that top in two.
Do not use soap or grease cutter as this too draws out the oil.
No cold water or pickle juice either.

Good luck!

Dining - Flat Top Grill Cleaning....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BYdBqd-WkM

Nice video, that's pretty much what I have been doing.

TM

Nice Carbonara! I make mine with pancetta instead of bacon, and add green peas.

Mike have you ever used Lady Finger Bananas in your Bananas Foster? If you haven't try it. It's quite on improvement! I could get all boring talking about how before the late 50's the bananas were a better, and different, variety but I don't want to be boring so I won't. :wink:

T

"I could get all boring talking about how before the late 50's the bananas were a better, and different,"

As a food nut I like that kind of boring.
Now I gotta go look it up.

T

This is no boring....

Since becoming widely popular in the 1800s, Gros Michel was the variety you would see at the produce stand.
According to legend, this kind of banana tasted way better. It was more soft and creamy.

But a disease known as “Race 1” began to kill them off in the ’20s, and by the 1950s banana farmers had turned to the Candevish variant to meet demand.

The song “Yes, We Have No Bananas” was written about this terrible crisis.

Now, a similar disease is after the Candevish. It’s already devastated farms in Asia, the Pacific, and Australia.

Researchers say there’s little doubt that “Race 4” will travel to South and Latin America, where the vast majority of bananas are grown for export to the United States.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-11-15 05:26 ]

Interesting, thanks! I will check and see if I can find Ladyfinger bananas tikicoma, great tip!

T

Mike we can always find finger bananas at asian grocery stores... they show up at the regular stores up here also but not as often.

My nearest Asian store is 120 miles away LOL

T

Would guess we have a 120 Asian stores within a mile of us.

BUTTER, it's what's for dinner.
Just doing some practice for Thanksgiving.

Butter rose.

Nice Skip! Maybe you can post that in the Garnish thread as a garnish for hot buttered rum or Pearl Diver's Punch?

H

Skip, nice butter decor. :)

Chocolate chip cookies
With holidays coming I was craving some cookies, made some last night.

T

Ok so now I want Chocolate chip cookies.

Did not know there was a garnish thread.
Or drinks that use butter.

NOW if we could only find a drink that uses Chocolate chip cookies.

Did not know there was a garnish thread.
Or drinks that use butter.

LOL, learn something every day!

NOW if we could only find a drink that uses Chocolate chip cookies.

How about dipped in a White Russian? :lol:

Those cookies look awesome Hilda. Chocolate chip cookies are like a yawn, when you see someone else do it you have to do it too :wink:

Hiltiki- mmmmmmmmmmm

In honor of ATP I have made ALMOST traditional Pho

I didn't roast my own beef bones, I started with a premade bone broth. I added roasted veggies (onions, ginger, garlic, and carrots), star anise, cinnamon sticks, (I didn't have any fish sauce) and simmered for an hour then strained the broth

The fixin's - cilantro, green onions, basil, spinach, mushrooms, serrano chiles, limes, bean sprouts, Siracha, and thinly sliced raw beef.

A nice steaming bowl of fresh pho for an Autumn evening

H

Mike, that looks delicious, love your new dishes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I am taking this ice cream turkey to my cousins today hope they don't get grossed out :) :) :)

That rocks!!!! LOL

That is cool!

Raspberry pomegranate Cream Cheese Pie.
More butter for your drinks.

Great page

Happy Thanksgiving all

(Or ham day as it's known around here)

Wahine 1st made

Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese and almonds

Wow, that looks amazing Skip and Jon!

I decided to spatchcock my turkey today :o I had never done this before and was cooking for 20 people. But my motto is "I'm not afraid to experiment with YOUR food"
A roaster pan of mirepoix (onions, celery, and bell pepper plus some cilantro for good luck)

The spatchcocked turkey. You cut out the backbone and flatten the bird. This gets the thighs out in the open where they can cook better, it also exposes all the skin so it gets crispy. It cooks faster without drying the breast meat. It's rubbed with sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Butter pats under the breast skin.

45 minutes in the oven at 450 until it was browned then 350 for another hour and a half (pretty quick for a 19 lb turkey!!!) Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside (just like a cricket) Winner, winner, turkey dinner. Not a pretty table presentation but I always carve it in the kitchen and put the slices on a platter

Also did an applewood smoked turkey breast, then glazed it with jellied cranberry sauce, Grand Marnier, and maple syrup. Delicious!

Mmmmmmmm

T

Mike I did do a turkey this way and it worked well.
Kinda nicked my finger with my meat cleaver but did not even need a band aid.

It is harder to carve the turkey when cooked this way.
BUT a 14 pound Turkey cooked in one hour and forty five minuets.

Went to a Christmas Around the World international food tasting event this past weekend and got some inspiration. Dinner tonight was Portuguese Caldo Verde with potatoes, kale, and linguica sausage. Also Portuguese sweet bread, specifically King's Hawaiian - turns out Portuguese immigrants brought sweet bread to Hawaii along with the ukelele.

T

Looks good Mike, It is soup time.

Here's the Turkey.

AND here is the Turkey stock, if your not makin it your faking it.
Made like a gallon and a half.

WOW, whole turkey and not just a carcass! Bet that made some killer stock

T

Well no, I did that spatchcock thing and roasted the Turkey, then made stock with the carcass.
But I did have two necks and two carcass, Plus the one Turkey was very large.

The stock was great.
Made Turkey soup and Turkey and dumplings.

Making stock is the best.
Soup bases are hard to find at least a good one that is.

The Better than bouillon brand is not better than bouillon, man it's all salt.
Used to get superior brand but can't because that's only for restaurants.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies