Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

H

That turkey stock looks great, ready for all kinds of goodness.

last nights photos.
Eggplant parmigiana

That looks awesome Hilda! Great pics too

You should be a food blogger Hilda :wink:

T

Iron skillet nice.
Looks good.

I used Iron skillets at my restaurant for many years, they did an article in the paper about our restaurant and mentioned the Iron skillets, well I got people wanting to give and or sell me the Iron skillets they had.

Was able to buy some really big Iron skillets from Woolworth's when they went out of Biz here in town many years ago.

UT

A well seasoned iron skillet is the original nonstick cookware. I have a skillet that was my grandma's and has been well seasoned with love and over 75 years of cooking. This simple pan is a prized possession.

T

You can say That again, some of our Iron skillets have been used at our restaurant to this day since 1942.

Don't count the one Mittie dropped off the stove.
We cooked hash browns in them fried Chicken and liver, Swiss steak, Salmon patties and more.

Just spray them out and wipe to keep the oils in them.
When buying a Iron Skillet be sure to ring them first.
Do this by hitting the skillet with something metal while holding by the handle there should be a clear ring tone if there is not it may have a crack you can't even see starting.

This may be where the term "ring true" came from....

ring true
"Fig. to sound or seem true or likely. (From testing the quality of metal or glass by striking it and evaluating the sound made.) The student's excuse for being late doesn't ring true. Do you think that Mary's explanation for her absence rang true?"

Special request tonight for lettuce wraps. I guess they are OK but why would you wrap something in lettuce when you have tortillas in the fridge? :lol:

I wasn't going to waste good leftover meat and veggies by wrapping it in lettuce again :lol: So I wrapped it in wonton wrappers and made Wonton Soup :wink:

On 2016-12-08 06:23, tikiskip wrote:
You can say That again, some of our Iron skillets have been used at our restaurant to this day since 1942.

Don't count the one Mittie dropped off the stove.
We cooked hash browns in them fried Chicken and liver, Swiss steak, Salmon patties and more.

Just spray them out and wipe to keep the oils in them.
When buying a Iron Skillet be sure to ring them first.
Do this by hitting the skillet with something metal while holding by the handle there should be a clear ring tone if there is not it may have a crack you can't even see starting.

This may be where the term "ring true" came from....

ring true
"Fig. to sound or seem true or likely. (From testing the quality of metal or glass by striking it and evaluating the sound made.) The student's excuse for being late doesn't ring true. Do you think that Mary's explanation for her absence rang true?"

I have a midsize one with the ridges on the inside bottom. I use it for Ribeye’s when it’s too cold out to fire up the Weber , Also works for a good sized “Dutch Baby”.
Cheers
Btw, mine rings true even after several drops.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-14 23:51 ]

"Btw, mine rings true even after several drops."

Lots of the stuff in the restaurant was really old, it opened in 1942 and they say some of the stuff they got in 42 was used.

Sooo when stuff dropped on the floor most of the time the item dropped would blow up, it was so ready to end it's life of work.

Water glasses would explode when dropped.

H

Good day to make cookies, my husband loves ginger cookies so I made some today. I know not everyone likes these cookies but they go perfectly with vanilla ice cream. I like to chop them up and pour on top of the ice cream with a little cinnamon on top for extra flavor.

Is that molasses? I love molasses in my cookies!

I was going through the liquor cabinet and saw the Angostura Bitters. I thought "I wonder if you can cook with this?" So I found a recipe for squash soup with Angostura. 2 tablespoons in a crock pot full of soup, it was subtle but detectable and good. Kabocha and butternut squashes, garnished with crème fraîche and a little more Angostura.

Merry Christmas Mike.
That soup looks perfect for the cold spell we’re all suffering through.
: >)

H

Mike that soup looks good, love the design, you are a true food artist, hehe. You should post pictures on Instagram.

Keto coffee

Keto muffins

Pork cheese egg
And
Carne asada cheese egg

350 for 20 min,
Turn oven off then
let sit in oven 5 more min

H

Jon, that looks delicious.

Was good
:)

What is this "Keto" you speak of? Were they made by Inspector Clouseau's Chinese manservant? :wink: Looks delicious!

U Klazy Mad Man

No real adults came for Christmas, so we got to have Chinese food again instead of cooking (hooray!)

But I did make some dessert & goodies. Came out pretty good!

Chocolate Haupia pie:

Also made two types of rum balls: chocolate with lots of Plantation 5 year, and ginger ones made with Malahat Ginger rum.
Plus some chocolate-covered peanut butter balls.

Hope everyone had a Mele Kalikimaka!

H

Bamalamalu, all the sweets look so good, love peanut butter in everything.

Bam- oh dangggggggg

Heh, Thanks, gang. Good payoff for stuff that's so easy to make!

Bam,
I Luv Haupia and Chocolate runs in my blood. Post that recipe pleeze if you ever have a free moment .
I have many recipes for Haupia-here’s the one I use the most. Also have one for Haupia Cheesecake which is almost as good as the one served at my fav Hawaiian restaurant, “Back Home In Lahaina” in the city of Carson
Smple Haupia

5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup white sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 cups coconut milk

Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-29 23:47 ]

"Gourmet Chocolate Covered Rum Balls"! Can't go wrong there!

Wait, I read that wrong - the Peanut Butter Ball were chocolate coated :lol: Still...

Oh, I dunked half of the chocolate rum balls in chocolate, too. :wink:
I also did not use vanilla wafers in them as most recipes call for. Because, ya know, they make chocolate wafers.

David, I'll post the pie recipe later on (Mahalo again to Elena for sharing it with me.) I think it's similar to yours.

David, This is the recipe I used for the pie. I'm guessing your haupia is more coconutty since this has extra (normal) milk in it. When I was looking this up again, I spotted another recipe that also included coconut extract. I think I might try that, or maybe try adding some shredded or fresh coconut to boost the coconut flavor. But that probably won't be until next year!

1 cup milk
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup white sugar

1 cup water
1/2 cup cornstarch

1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, coconut milk and 1 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Bring coconut mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch. Continue stirring mixture over low heat until thickened, about 3 minutes.

In a glass bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 1 minute or until melted. Divide the coconut pudding evenly into two bowls. Mix chocolate into one portion. Spread on the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the remaining portion of pudding on top of the chocolate and spread smooth. Refrigerate for about an hour.

Then real whipped cream with a bit of sugar & vanilla.

On 2016-12-29 21:41, bamalamalu wrote:
David, This is the recipe I used for the pie. I'm guessing your haupia is more coconutty since this has extra (normal) milk in it. When I was looking this up again, I spotted another recipe that also included coconut extract. I think I might try that, or maybe try adding some shredded or fresh coconut to boost the coconut flavor. But that probably won't be until next year!

Mucho Mahaloz Bam. Btw, did you use a baked Pastry or a Graham Cracker Crust? Pic loos to be crackers but I could be wrong. Seems to me either one would go well with Haupia.
Happy new year to you and Ted.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-29 23:44 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-29 23:54 ]

I actually used a chocolate pie crust from the store. It might be overkill for some, but for me there can't be too much chocolate.
Cheers!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the triple yuk-yuks Mike? This (chocolate) is a very serious matter!
Happy New Year David and CeCe

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-31 00:16 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-31 00:15 ]

H

Clam and halibut chowder.

T

That looks really good!

On 2016-12-31 00:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Why the triple yuk-yuks Mike? This (chocolate) is a very serious matter!
Happy New Year David and CeCe

"Cuz I like this quote "It might be overkill for some, but for me there can't be too much chocolate." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilda, I'm not a fan of fish soup but it looks beautiful :wink:

Happy New Year

HilTiki- looks good

Kito Pizza

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-03 05:40 ]

Jon what do you use for crust on your keto pizza?

Sorry Mike
Just saw this

NO GARLIC
Me no like

Interesting Jon, what's the texture like?

Awesome

H

Chicken with vegetable, Mac and Cheese with tomatoes on top, salad.

Yummmmm!

That looks delish Hilda!

Lunch Saturday was Grilled Pork, Marinated Chicken, Smashed Red Potatoes, Fiesta Corn, Green Beans and Bacon, and Green Salad for 70 people for my Dad's 80th birthday. Sorry no pics, we were busy :lol: All was pretty standard fare but the potatoes were seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning which added an interesting flavor profile.

Hilt- Lookin good
MadMan- when u do it, u go big

Keto Pancakes
(I double the recipe)

Add butter and

T

Wait, did you forget the flour?

That looks like cream cheese and eggs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies