Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Keto

No carbs

:)

I'm sorry Jon but that looks scary! Probably just my carb addicted body highjacking my brain :lol:

Try it

T

I don’t know how you would get that constancy with just those ingredients.
Weird.

Had a customer that used that syrup, he would put like one small drop on each bite of pancake.

My youngest granddaughter wanted me to bake a cheesecake for her 11th birthday. So I gave it a try. We were both happy with the result.
Cheers

That looks yummy! New York style? My son doesn't like cheesecake. He says it not cheese and it's not cake! :lol:

On 2017-01-28 07:30, MadDogMike wrote:
That looks yummy! New York style? My son doesn't like cheesecake. He says it not cheese and it's not cake! :lol:

Yup Mike Ny style-not that I’m an expert. Here’s a couple for you that you can tease your boy with. one is not pudding-the other is not a baby or Dutch I think.

Hope you enjoy!

Yorkshire Pudding

Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Pour the drippings into a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or square baking dish. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot. Carefully take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.
Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Pour the drippings into a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or square baking dish. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot. Carefully take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.

Dutch Baby
3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
2 3/8 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1/2 cup
3 tablespoons vanilla sugar, plus extra for serving
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
Lemon wedges

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Set the remaining tablespoon of melted butter aside to cool slightly. Wait 10 minutes before assembling the other ingredients.

Place the flour, vanilla sugar, salt, milk, eggs and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds. Carefully pour the batter into the preheated skillet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are puffed and brown. Sprinkle with additional vanilla sugar and serve with lemon wedges.

Daaaaaang
Looks good

:lol: MDM, you raised a wise young man! I'm with him.
Sure looks pretty, though, David!

Dutch Baby? hmmm... (not mine :lol: )

Hey Mike , My wife likes dem Dutch Babie’s. I make en bout once every couple weeks or more often if I’m in the doghouse. Btw,I don’t unnerstand the lemon wedges but she loves them.
Cheers

H

Nice looking cheesecake Dave, I tried my first Dutch Baby about a year ago on a trip to Disneyland. It was fantastic.

no picture of Dutch baby, I ate it too fast. :)

On 2017-01-31 09:42, hiltiki wrote:

Last year an Original Pancake House opened on Whittier Bl. in La Habra.
Bout 10 minutes from our house in La Mirada.Nice! All their fare is ono.
Best Dutch Baby in SoCal, imho, is at Plums-about 4 minutes from Hi-Times.If ATP were allowed back , he could back me up.
Cheers

H

Comfort food for a semi rainy day, vegetarian chili and corn bread.

Delicious Hilda! Life gets complicated and I haven't cooked dinner in a while. I had some time today so I made Chicken Pesto with Lemon Gnocchi

I'm not usually a fan of gnocchi, all the premade ones I have tried are soggy and bland. Maybe they are different if your Italian grandmother makes them fresh? But when you pan fry them in olive oil and butter then add lemon juice and zest, they become magically delicious :lol:

Winter is winding down here in the desert, time to get a little soup on before it's too late

Abondigas (Mexican soup made of meatballs with rice in them) Carne molida con arroz, tomates, chayote (calabasa), zanahorais, papas, y cilantro

On 2017-02-23 19:14, MadDogMike wrote:
Winter is winding down here in the desert, time to get a little soup on before it's too late

Abondigas (Mexican soup made of meatballs with rice in them) Carne molida con arroz, tomates, chayote (calabasa), zanahorais, papas, y cilantro

Hey Miguel, I’m glad you learned sumptin at El Tiki.
Cheers

I learned a lot at El Tiki Dave :D

I got home and realized it was Mardi Gras so I HAD to make a Jambalaya. So I dug through the pantry and freezer, found some andouille, ham, bacon, shrimp. I had never grilled Okra before but it was really good

The King's Cake was a cheat :lol: Refrigerator orange sweet rolls made into a ring, frosted, and sprinkled with Skittles

On 2017-02-28 19:24, MadDogMike wrote:

The King's Cake was a cheat :lol: Refrigerator orange sweet rolls made into a ring, frosted, and sprinkled with Skittles

Mike, My grandkids wanna meet you!
Cheers

H

Mike, did you say shrimp?

On 2017-03-01 09:00, hiltiki wrote:
Mike, did you say shrimp?

:lol: I wondered if someone would catch me on that :lol: Sometimes, for dishes like Jambalaya, I will add some pre-cooked shrimp for the rest of the family after I get mine out. I don't have to touch them and then I don't have to wash dishes :wink:

Tonight was Pan-Caribbean - Jerked Pork, Yellow Rice & Black Beans, Sauteed Sweet Potatoes & Zucchini, Mojitos, and Key Lime Pie

Not dinner, just a snack. But maybe someone can tell me about truffles. Quesadilla with muenster cheese and imported Italian Truffle Sauce (mushrooms, olive oil, black olives and 1% summer truffles). I usually pan-fry my quesadillas with a little butter to make them golden crispy and to maximize my fat intake, but I was in a hurry tonight :lol: My son and daughter signed me up for Try The World as a Christmas gift. Each month I set a box full of samples of international gourmet foods, the truffle sauce was one of them. Earthy with a bit of a pungent taste to it, kinda like horseradish. I know truffles are very strong flavored, is 1% really enough to taste the flavor of the truffle?

On 2017-03-05 22:00, MadDogMike wrote:
But maybe someone can tell me about truffles.

I know that in France pigs are used to locate em in the woods.
Cheers, David

A truffle is the fruiting body of a subterranean
Ascomycete fungus, predominantly one of the many species of the genus Tuber.
Truffles are ectomycorrhizal fungi and are therefore usually found in
close association with tree roots.

Wikipedia

Good page all
Ya made me hungry

Again
:)

On 2017-03-12 20:35, hang10tiki wrote:
A truffle is the fruiting body of a subterranean
Ascomycete fungus, predominantly one of the many species of the genus Tuber.
Truffles are ectomycorrhizal fungi and are therefore usually found in
close association with tree roots.

Wikipedia

You wuz scaring me Jon til you added “wikipedia”
Cheers

T

Cupcakes.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

There's a pot of gold at the end of those cupcakes!

Sushi Donuts last night - Sushi rice donuts, salmon, swordfish, tuna, avocado, cucumber, carrots, radishes, pickled ginger, nori strips, Siracha mayo, unagi sauce, etc.

Quick and easy week-night dinner, Rigatoni Pie.

OGR

All looks real good Mike...thanks for you and few others for keeping this thread going...I'll be back soon.

Rig pie

Oh dang
My kinda pie

OH, that's my kinda pie, too!
That browned cheese is spectacular.

Dis is a pie. 15 inches across, 8 large Granny Smiths inside.
; > )

OGR

Damn, Dat is ONE good lookin' PIE!

That's MY kinda pie! The more flakey crust, the better!!! Looks great

Dutch Baby for breakfast. So easy to make-so tasty.
Cheers

David- u on a roll
Lookin good my man

H

Mike, David and skip, nice pictures and everything looks delicious. Thanks for keeping this thread up. Here's my dinner from last night.
Pan fried gnocchi in marinara sauce

Marinara sauce

Pan fried gnocchi

Looks very good Hilda. I have made pan fried gnocchi before but I always put pesto on them

H- looks great (except me no like garlic)
What was the drink?

H

The drink was Tropical Itch from Potions of the Caribbean. Thank you guys, Jon I love garlic hehe...

My wife CeCe makes the bestest tacos. My Key Lime Pie ain’t bad either. Washed dem tacos down with some Sangria. Was a good day.
Cheers

¡Se ve delicioso!

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2017-04-11 09:14 ]

Peanut Butter and Sardine Sandwich on artisanal bread. Should have posted it on April Fools Day :lol: :P :lol:

Moroccan theme tonight - Grilled Chicken with a Moroccan Rub (it's not burned, the rub is dark colored), couscous, and fire roasted veggies with Pistachio Herb Butter. Continuing with the pistachio element, dessert was Pistachio Gelato.

H

David that key lime pie is my favorite yum. Mike that food looks delicious.

Capirotada is a traditional Mexican dish that dates back to the 1600’s.It’s sorta a bread pudding on steroids.
Layers of bread soaked in cinnamon syrup with nuts, cheese, cloves, candy sprinkles and a host of other ingredients.
It’s usually served during the lenten season, especially on Good Friday.
Outstanding with a big glass of cold milk

David n mike- lookin good

Except the PB n sardines

David that looks and sounds really good, especially the cinnamon. Except that I have texture issues and don't eat bread pudding (or rice, pudding, tapioca, flan, cooked cereal, gravy, or anything else slimy) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies