Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Haluski tonight. Sort of a Polish stir fry with Kielbasa, vegetables, lots of cabbage, and egg noodles.

Mmmmmm

Siracha Lime Honey Salmon with Rice, Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots

"Gyro-esque" Grilled Chicken Sandwiches. I like naan better than pita bread. Dessert was Baklava Bites and frozen Greek honey yogurt. The Baklava Bites were an experiment made from left-over egg roll wrappers. They were Ok but not great :lol:

H

Mike you are on a roll, lot of interesting stuff.

Go Mike go

Thanks guys, I have been on a roll this week. Hope I inspire someone or at least give you an idea for dinner.
Quick Tortilla Chicken Soup with cojita cheese tonight, Probably the last soup until next Fall as our temps are consistently in the mid to high 90s. In keeping with the tortilla theme I fried some flour tortilla strips, sprinkled them with sugar and cinnamon, dipped them in dark chocolate and put them on vanilla bean ice cream with Kahlua. I wanted to put some chili in the chocolate but I wasn't sure I could sell that to my family :lol:

Wow, it's Feast Week over there! Everything looks delicious.
Just for future reference, MDM: if for some reason you ever find yourself cooking something I might eat, you have my express permission to put chilis in the chocolate. :)

Thank you bam! I love chili and chocolate, I think the capsaicin intensifies the chocolate flavor. Jalapeno Brownies are one if my favorites :)

These last 2 finish up our food orgy week. Last night, grilled pork loin, grilled zucchini, wild & long grain rice with a spiced apple garnish. Tonight was paella with chicken, pork, linguica, and mussels.

I did a little better this week at "re-purposing" leftovers than I usually do. The Gyros Chicken went into the Tortilla Soup and the leftover pork loin went into the paella :lol:

Nice recycling!

It was (foolishly!) limited, so you may have to wait until next year to see it again, but Garage Brewing in Temecula made a version of their chocolate milk stout with just enough ghost chile added. It was spectacular!

Bam in da house

Hmmm... Chocolate Milk Stout kinda scares me. When we were kids we begged my mom to buy us chocolate soda that Safeway sold. It was NASTY but my mom made us finish the six-pack since we asked for it :lol:

Don't remember if it was Shasta? Maybe Scotch Buy?

:lol: Fair enough. But I assure you it's much better than chocolate soda - even I wouldn't touch that stuff.

:)

My bonus daughter brought home a 5 lb bag of cabbage (the size of a standard pillow!!!) from her agricultural internship and we decided to do the one week cabbage dish challenge :lol:

Cabbage

Cabbage Soup

Fish Tacos with Fresh Cabbage

Pork Chops with Fried Cabbage and Spiced Apple Ring

Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Apple Coleslaw

Thai Stirfry Cabbage and Rice

I knew not to look here
Thanx Mike

Starving

:lol:

It's Memorial Day, I had to fire up the smoker for some ribs

Luxardo marinated fruit salad for dessert

Simple dinner-Ribeyes smothered with sauteed Mushrooms.

Do one thing and do it well, looks like you did that "simple dinner" very well

Easy weekday dinner doesn't have to be boring! Big tray of chicken breasts and 2 sauce pouches yeilds 2 destination dinners

Jamaica - Jerked Chicken, Cristianos y Moros (rice and beans), and Vegetable Rundown (a stirfry with coconut milk)

Morocco - Spiced Lemon Chicken over Pearl Couscous and Moroccan Roasted Veggies (eggplant. sweet potato, onions, tomatoes, peppers, dried apricots, & cilantro)

Indian food for some friends tonight

Agrabana Grog

Imported Sauces

Left over Chaat appetizer (after it had set a couple hours :lol: )

Clockwise starting top right - Yellow Squash with Okra and Lotus Root, Basmati Rice with Tandoor Sauce, (store bought) Samosa, Tandoori Chicken

Assorted storebought desserts served with home made coconut milk ice cream

I'm thinkin u need to move to Vegas
Me so hungry

Jon, maybe you should stop for dinner on your way to T.O.? :wink:

:)

My turn

Haupia Pie

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-06-25 19:36 ]

Ohhh, that looks really good!

Mike
It was
And only took minutes to make

Yuuuuummmm. I haven't seen those Noh packets at the store lately. I'll have to find a new store.

And I missed seeing Mike's Indian feast until now. More yum! I'm no chef, but that Grog is in my future!

OGR

Great job keeping this going folks. Spicy Spanish Rice w/ lots of bubbling cheese. OGR

Ooooohhh...bubbling cheese...

H

Its been a long time since I posted anything, thank you Mike, Jon, dave, OGR for keeping this thread going and delicious looking food pictures.
This one is Tri-tip in wine, onion, carrot, celery sauce.

OGR

Hiltiki, Looks GREAT. Whenever my local Meat Market has Tri-Tip, I'm all over it. Quite hard to find here.

My Tomato plant’s are finally starting to give me some fruit. Caprese salad is one of my favorites.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-07-05 21:28 ]

OOOOHHH!!!! That all looks delicious!!!!!

OGR

For the 4th...Firecracker Brat/Smoked Polish Sausage---Slow cooked Bavarian Kraut--German Potato Salad--Roasted Brussel Sprouts.

That looks great OGR! Looks like the meal I had in a German town (Fredricksburg, TX) last week.

Concept experiment - I am wanting to cook paella on the beach in Mexico for 40 people. So I tried a test of 5 lbs of medium grain rice in a steam table pan on the BBQ. Worked out perfectly :D

OGR

You go Mike! Make slow cooked Rice Pudding...

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2017-07-08 14:55 ]

I have texture issues, no rice pudding for me OGR :lol:

I may have posted this dish before but it's worth a second run; Siracha Honey Lime Salmon with Asian Slaw

Good idea, failed implimentation :lol:
I wanted to make a pie with a pastry crust lei on top. I decided on a "Luau Pie" and filled it with kalua pork, sweet potatoes, a little rice and some small pineapple cubes. The crust lei turned out nice but the filling wasn't so great. Kinda dry and a little too much ginger.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-11 22:05 ]

H

Caesars salad with shrimp on top, melted cheese corn tacos on the side.

Those corn quesadillas look awesome!

Hiltiki, the salad looks awesome also...Mike, I know you "love" Shrimp. :)

A traditional summer meal with a spin. Jerk spiced Burger w/ Aleppo Pepper Mayo, Red Onion, Spicy Pickles, and a FRESH Corn & Black Bean Salad, and ramped up Baked Beans.

Frikin-A
U guys always make me hungry

"Mike, I know you "love" Shrimp" :lol:

Jerk spiced burger? Nice!

Cider-Roasted Pork Tenderloins---Mashed Rutabaga w/ frizzled onion---Lemon Pepper Broccoli. IMHO the Rutabaga is better than mashed tators, and better nutrition wise.

Looks good OGR. I haven't eaten any rutabaga in years! Slightly stronger flavor than potatoes but good. I think root vegetables like turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, etc are more popular in the midwest then on the west coast - I don't see them in stores here. Haven't tried cider braised chops but cider braised linguica is really good.

OGR

Mike, I'm originally from the East Coast-Maine and we ate quite a bit of root veggies there also. Linguica---that's a funny thing, huge in California and New England (esp. Mass-Fall River-Emeril's HT) and I LOVE it. Can't find it here in sausage land :)...strange.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies