Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

T

Love pork!

Ice-cream?

Nope, Cupcake.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-07-18 15:48 ]

T

Oh, and Basil pesto with Cheese ....

OGR

Looks Good Skip...LOVE Pesto. Pine Nuts? Walnuts? No Nuts? :)

H

Mike, Or Got Rum, Skip and Dave, all looks delicious, keep them coming.

On 2017-07-19 07:54, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Looks Good Skip...LOVE Pesto. Pine Nuts? Walnuts? No Nuts? :)

Pine Nuts!

Try making pesto with garlic scapes and be amazed

Be very amazed

I love this show a Chefs life on PBS, does everybody have the TV channel PBS?
What I like about it is, its small town, it’s chef like too.
She goes to the farms where they grow the stuff they cook and serve in the restaurant and talks to the growers.

She even cry’s and may tell you the restaurant biz is not so fun all the time, It’s so real.
Love that, people see these TV shows where it all looks awesome and glamorous many times it sucks.

This BBQ joint goes thru 2000 pounds of cabbage a week!
So he calls his dad and asks how to make the slaw dressing and he says add “about this much of mayo and that much of mustard” HA! My mom said that same thing when I called about how to make bean soup at the restaurant.

I knew I made something right as she would tell people she made it.
If she messed up something she told em I did it.

Check it out…

Cabbage | A Chef's Life | PBS Food
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWX7fv5s9tE

Grandma Hill's Canned Peaches| A Chef's Life |
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csn-9Fqutzo

T

Had never heard of garlic scapes.
Will try that next year as I just took in our garlic from the garden.
Drying the shallots now.
Going to make shallot salt.

If you ever make shallot salt you will find out why they don't make and sell shallot salt.
It is a pain in the butt, but it is very good.

Thanks for the heads up on the garlic scapes reminds me of Ramps.
Just planted ramps last years as well.

This is what I like about the show a Chefs life as they also talk about cooking ways and ingredients long forgotten.

Making watermelon pickles soon.

OGR

On 2017-07-20 09:32, tikiskip wrote:
Had never heard of garlic scapes.
Will try that next year as I just took in our garlic from the garden.
Drying the shallots now.
Going to make shallot salt.

If you ever make shallot salt you will find out why they don't make and sell shallot salt.
It is a pain in the butt, but it is very good.

Thanks for the heads up on the garlic scapes reminds me of Ramps.
Just planted ramps last years as well.

This is what I like about the show a Chefs life as they also talk about cooking ways and ingredients long forgotten.

Making watermelon pickles soon.

My first restaurant job was as a waiter at 1890's "Summer Cottage" on the Maine Coast. It was also an Inn and I lived on the 3rd floor. I did it for 5 seasons before and during college. Everything was "old school" service (vests-bow tie) w/ all courses included, tray service, serve from the left clear from the right...etc. We also passed a 4 item relish tray after serving the main course...the #1 chosen by FAR? The Pickled Watermelon Rind. We could never keep it stocked enough. I had never had it before then. We had older, well set guests....they were animals over that...thanks for rekindling the memory Skip! BTW, We love shallots...very KEY in Veal Marsala.

When you were in college in the 1890s? DAMN OGR, you're OLD!!! :o :lol: :P

Had to look up garlic scapes

On 2017-07-20 10:06, MadDogMike wrote:
When you were in college in the 1890s? DAMN OGR, you're OLD!!! :o :lol: :P

Had to look up garlic scapes

I should also post this in the "back when you were thin and good looking" thread. :)

T

"We also passed a 4 item relish tray"

Went to a place that had this, man what a great idea!
You will love that show then, it's all the old south type stuff with all those old people in it.

Pickled Watermelon Rind is an Amish thing too, if you go to an Amish store they will have it.

"When you were in college in the 1890s? DAMN OGR, you're OLD!!!"

HA! that makes you about my age.
I started in high school, well working for another restaurant than my dads. (1977)
One of the places I worked at, Windward is still open!
Started working at our place as soon as I could do anything.

I swear my parents only had kids to staff that restaurant.

On 2017-07-20 10:58, Or Got Rum? wrote:
I should also post this in the "back when you were thin and good looking" thread. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On 2017-07-08 14:20, MadDogMike wrote:
Concept experiment - I am wanting to cook paella on the beach in Mexico for 40 people. So I tried a test of 5 lbs of medium grain rice in a steam table pan on the BBQ. Worked out perfectly :D

I decided to scale back a bit and be safe so I made 2 big electric skillets of Paella instead, one with shrimp and crawdads and one with linguica and chicken

Tonight was home-made pizza night. Pizza #1 was white sauce with grilled marinated artichokes and mushrooms. Pizza #2 was red sauce with Italian sausage, bell peppers, green olives, sun dried tomatoes, banana peppers, and mushrooms

OGR

The Paella's and the Pizzas look awesome Mike! Well Done!

H

Mike your food looks good.
My brother brought some raw oysters over for lunch, unfortunately no one likes raw oysters in my household except me, I had a couple but a lot was left over. I found a recipe how to make fried oysters and it came out really good and tasty.

OGR

Great looking oysters Hiltiki...nice sized. I love them...my Wife...Not at all.

Thank you Hilda. Those oysters look much better fried than they do raw :o

H

Thank you Or Got Rum, Mike :lol:

H

This was a vegetarian curry dish with jasmine rice. I had chicken on the side to add to the curry. Came out excellent. here are some pictures.

Didn't have a chance to put the actual plate of food, hehe, too hungry and in a hurry to eat.

Truly looks awesome...great job...did you also add cauliflower?

Looks delicious, nice pictures too. My youngest "bonus daughter" just moved out of the house to go to college. She didn't care for curry but we will have it more often now that she is gone :wink:

H

Thank you Mike and Or got Rum, I will try cauliflower next time. :)

hiltiki, Yes, we add that along with the great veggies you used to bump up the "texture" profile as well as flavor. That is if you like cauliflower. :)

I haven't posted anything lately so here's some Pepper Beef. It wasn't facy but it was pretty good

Hilt/ mike
Mmmmmmmmm

H

No step to step today, I was too late for it. But this was one of the best Swordfish I ever had, fresh and delicious with kale salad and saffron rice and mushrooms.

OGR

hiltiki, Looks VERY tasty...nice balance of ingredients.

Looks delicious, especially those mushrooms! Your Vegetable Curry at the top of the page inspired me to make some Thai Curry with Basmati Rice and a Jalapeno Margarita

Chicken Pesto Roll-Ups with Lemon Beurre Blanc Sauce on Angelhair Pasta. Well worth adding to the regular rotation

H

Looks delicious.

Nutin fancy, just ribs marinated in a Hawaiian style sauce and vegtable fried rice washed down with some vintage cocktails.

Ohhh, look at all the extras in the rice! Looks great

Pork Loin with Mushroom Sauce, Truffled Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, and Grilled Calabasitas

On Friday we did a combo 31'st Anniversary, our Daughter coming home, and my missing Maine, special dinner. I had ordered up 3-1.75 lb Maine Lobsters, 50 RI Littleneck Clams, and 1 Lb of Dry Dayboat U-10 Scallops from Mass.
My Wife doesn't care for Clams or Lobster (!) really, so we (our Daughter cooking-me teaching...still recovering from Knee Surgery) made my Scallops Mornay, which ironically was the first meal I made for my wife prior to Marriage...must have worked. Served w/ wild Rice and Broccoli, and Colby-Jack Garlic biscuits for all...Awesome.

Made too much Kalua Pork and fried rice for dinner last night. It was easy too put together Some Kalua Pork tacos and fried rice as we watched the Emmy’s
cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-09-19 23:36 ]

H

Lots of good food here, OR Got rum, that food looks delicious, love shellfish.

WOW!!! That all looks great! (except those big red sea cockroaches :lol: )

Lookin good guys

Had to grill...with our 90 degree 1st day of fall heat. Bought, trimmed and cubed a Sirloin tip, which my Wife marinated for 3 days in a red wine/ garlic concoction. Served w/ her rice pilaf. Excellent.

Beef, it's what's for dinner!

You said it man!!!

Perfect meal for Fall Boss

I went simple tonight - Tortellini and Vegetable Soup, a nice counterpoint to too much eating this weekend. Who am I kidding, too much eating for at least 3 years :lol: Served with Modelo Negro Beer Bread

Looks good all....Mike did you have Tequila crackers?

:lol: :P :D

Chicken Satay and Chopped Thai Salad

I was going to made Coconut Mango Ice Cream but forgot to put the ice cream maker in the freezer :( :lol:

Chicken Pesto Mozzarella Rollups with Mushroom Risotto

Yummmmmm
Lookin good guys

Haupia time

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies