Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

With coconuts and macadamias!!! I bet it would be good with tropical fruit in it too. What store do you get your Noh's Haupia at? I have seen it at Ralph's but we don't have one. I think I've seen the Noh brand at Food4Less but not sure about Haupia.

Looks great all. MDM, Love Satay and Pesto...well done. Hang10tiki, Never had Haupia...it looks divine. Daughter made San Marzano Marinara w/ lots O' Garlic, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Fresh Herbs, and Sausage Meatballs. What a fresh taste when it's homemade. BTW, the Pasta Bowl is 18 inches.

Che Bello! I don't think I've ever made sausage meatballs, great idea!

Mike- I get it at Walgreens (in the Hawaiian section)

OGR- looks great

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-10-01 21:21 ]

Hawaian section of Walgreens? Hmmm... I'll check it out

H

That spaghetti with meatballs looks delicious.

Not every meal is exotic :lol: 8 Can Taco Soup. One can each of pinto beans, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, cream of chicken soup, green enchilada sauce, white meat chicken, and chicken broth plus a package a taco seasoning. Actually pretty good.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-10-06 22:50 ]

"Tiki Toes", nachos from El Tiki restaurant where I worked as a kid. Freshly fried large corn chips, home made machaca, beans, lots of jack cheese, and black olives. The original "Tiki Toes" only had cheese, jalepeno slices and/or dill pickle slices. Washed down with a Kraken Mojito

H

Nice one Mike.

Huapia with Passionfruit syrup and Raspberry syrup. Oh, and a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

Here’s a couple of my favorite recipes

Huapia
5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup white sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 cups coconut milk
Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold.

Huapia Cheesecake Servings: 12
Crust
1 1/2 cups coconut cookie crumbs
1 cup butter (2 blks. melted)
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Cheesecake Layer
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
1/2 cup sugar
Haupia Layer
2 (12 ounce) cans coconut milk (or coconut cream)
1 cup sugar
1 cup cornstarch (dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water)
Directions:

For crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray non stick spray at the bottom of 9 X 13 pan.
Place coconute cookie crumbs, coconut, and macadamias into pan.
Drizzle with melted butter. Stir in butter and press onto bottom of pan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
For cheesecake layer, mix cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, then blend in sour cream.
Fold in Cool Whip. Spread mixture onto cooled crust.
Refrigerate to set.
For haupia layer, combine coconut milk, sugar and dissolved cornstarch in saucepan over medium heat.
Cook until mixture thickens to a custard like consistency.
Remove from heat and stir constantly while cooling.
pour and spread cooled mixture over top and refrigerate to set.

nui 'umi 'umi, That recipe looks fantastic...can't wait to try it.

Back in the early 80's, fresh out of college, my buddies and I would go to the beaches of Maryland and Delaware for fun and frivolity. With only enough $ to buy libations for us (and the ladies) we had a limited food budget (forget sleeping-that was done on the beach or in our car) we found a Chicken Shack that Roasted 1/2 birds on a huge open grill-Cornell, NY Style. ED's Chicken Shack in Dewey Beach, Delaware was the inexpensive protein bomb. I loved it so much I told my (at that time future) wife about it and we began to replicate it. After arriving at perfection we have been eating and serving it to others ever since. Being an avid cook and Restaurateur, I have never had a marinade that truly goes through like this one. Cider Vinegar-Lemon Juice-Old bay Seasoning-Cajun Seasoning-Cayenne Pepper-Italian Dressing marinated for 2 days and then grilled. We do Boneless and Bone In....we call it Chesapeake Chicken, although no seafood involved. Sadly Ed's (who later added Crabs) was destroyed buy a drunk driver http://www.delawaretoday.com/Remembering-Eds-Chicken-Crabs-a-Dewey-Beach-Staple/ and he decided not to rebuild.

nui 'umi 'umi that looks delicious! What do you use for Passionfruit Syrup? I can find Passionfruit Pulp at my local Cardenas (Hispanic grocery chain), I guess I could use that to make syrup or a Passionfruit Sauce of some sort. Is that a dead gecko on the banana leaf? :lol:

OGR, that sound really tasty! I have used Italian dressing on many things (including rattlesnake) but the rest of those additions would kick it up several notches! Sad about Ed's restaurant :(

T

Is that Kale?

Looks good.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-10-10 15:39 ]

On 2017-10-10 14:21, MadDogMike wrote:

What do you use for Passionfruit Syrup?

Mike, I use the Goya brand PF pulp from the refrig. section. Equal parts water, sugar, and pulp. Simmer bout 20 min.
Great on ice cream, pancakes, and waffles.
Cheers

My inspiration was the french toast served at the Queen K in Waikiki. Banana and toasted coconut topped with passionfruit syrup. Served with applewood bacon and a Mimosa.

On 2017-10-10 11:12, Or Got Rum? wrote:

Mahalo Og.
Gonna try it this weekend. Luv it when recipes are adde to posts.

Thanks for the syrup recipe. That "Hawaiian Toast" looks good too, could use King's bread. I have some Passionfruit pulp in the freezer - I freeze it in icecube trays, just the right size for a Hurricane

H

Mike, I see you are becoming a mixologist now. :)

I'm trying Hilda. It's hard though, I can't just throw ingredients in a glass like I do in a pan :lol:

Catalan Saffron Orzo with Linguica and Grilled Vegetables with Picada

My wife makes a great Pineapple upside down cake. I don’t core fresh pineapplew very well. 1rst time she’s made one with fresh. Thanks to me it’s the best we’ve ever had.

T

Pineapple upside down love that!

Ok so how many people had to look this up?

Picada (Catalan pronunciation: [piˈkaðə]) is one of the characteristic sauces and culinary techniques essential to Catalan cuisine and Valencian cuisine. It is not an autonomous sauce like mayonnaise or romesco, but it is added as a seasoning during the cooking of a recipe.

T

Mike a lot of your food is brown or dark green.

You need some yellow plates to complement your food with your dishes.:)

Dave, that cake looks delicious!!! I bought a cheap pineapple corer at the dollar store and it works well. Good pineapple shells for drinks too

Skip, I had never heard of Picada either. This particular recipe may not have been too traditional as it called for Panko bread crumbs instead of pine nuts or almonds. Browned in olive oil with garlic and herbs, it added good flavor and nice crunchy texture to the veggies.

I saw that lack of color contrast when I went to take the picture, that's why I added the tomatoes :lol: These plates look really cool alone but I didn't consider how they would look with food on them. I think that white plates are much more versatile but the wife likes color. Happy wife, happy life :D

"These plates look really cool"

Yeah they are cool plates.

We have had the same white plates forever, they do have a green bamboo border.

I never want my plates to look better than the stuff I put on them.
But any more we don't make fancy foods.

"This particular recipe may not have been too traditional"
There must be a ton of ways to make it.

All true :)

On 2017-10-10 21:50, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
My inspiration was the french toast served at the Queen K in Waikiki. Banana and toasted coconut topped with passionfruit syrup. Served with applewood bacon and a Mimosa.

Thanks for the inspiration nui 'umi 'umi. French toast with King's Hawaiian bread, fresh pineapple, bananas, toasted coconut, and passionfruit syrup (that syrup recipe worked out perfectly!) A perfect combination of flavors, it was one of the best things I have eaten in a while! :lol: I meant to put some pecans in but forgot :( Toasted macadamias would have been AMAZING on that :o

On 2017-10-14 09:28, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2017-10-10 21:50, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Thanks for the inspiration nui 'umi 'umi. French toast with King's Hawaiian bread, fresh pineapple, bananas, toasted coconut, and passionfruit syrup (that syrup recipe worked out perfectly!) A perfect combination of flavors, it was one of the best things I have eaten in a while! :lol: I meant to put some pecans in but forgot :( Toasted macadamias would have been AMAZING on that :o

Looks delicious Mike. I usually use the rounded loaf (unsliced) but when the grandkids see it they “just a little piece” it till it’s gone. Nuts sounds like a great add
Cheers

OGR

nui 'umi 'umi and Mike, Those French Toast and Pie pics look tremendous. I'm not a huge sweet fan, but those would be worth going for.

Also Mike, great looking Saffron Dish...love it.

Skip, Good plate info, I myself have dozens of different Restaurant Plates from the 30's-60's that we use regularly...along with my wife's "matched" ware.

Cold, Rainy Wisco fall evening...My wife's Great Grandfathers Beef Stew w/ Drop Dumplings....not Pretty, but OMG good. Very different than most Beef Stew as it is a tomato rich-root vegetable recipe...very unique.

Beef Stew and Dumplings!!! Looks good - I come to this thread for dinner ideas :lol:

Mike, that stew looks soooo good. Can’t wait til the temp drops below 90 so I can pu t on a sweater and try some.
Later.
David

David, those are OGR's dumplings :wink:

What's the deal with Mulligatawny? Is that an East Coast thing? The only place I've ever heard of it was in Seinfeld's Soup Nazi episode. An English soup influenced by India from the colonial days with chicken, lentils, basmati rice, curry, coconut milk, and vegetables. Thick and very tasty!

Lettuce wraps. No rice, I'm trying to cut back on the carbs :lol:

My wife and I made this cake for our Halloween themed social hour at our monthly Fern Society meeting this evening. Lemon flavored buttercream frosting on a yellow cake.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-10-20 16:34 ]

YAY, Halloween food!
:)

H

Lots of fun food pictures, keep them coming.

Made a fresh vegetable pasta.

with red peppers and galic with lots of olive oil :)

Added some onions

set aside

Added some mushrooms

Pan fried some asparagus also

Fresh tomoatoes with lots of fresh herbs.

Mix them all up, salt and pepper.

Add pasta and Parmesan cheese, and a daquiri on the side.

Looking good David and Hilda!

It's a two-fer. Last night Grilled Pork Loin with a Super Salad - no side dish, we're dialing back the carbs :lol:

Then used the leftover pork to make Peruvian Pork and Quinoa Soup tonight.

Warm scones and cool watermelon for breakfast.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-10-27 22:20 ]

Refreshing breakfast Dave!

Made Fast Faux Pho last night. Found some pho broth concentrate packets on Amazon, actually pretty good. And I don't like those gelatinous slimy rice noodles so I use Ramen noodles :lol: Cut up fresh veggies, put them in a bowl with the uncooked noodles, pour in the boiling broth, cover it with a plate for about 5 minutes and done. Fresh, quick, and good

T

Looks good mike, am making a big vat of vegetable soup right now.
Since I make my own stock it makes such a huge mess.

But soup for weeks.

Skip, when you make a big batch of stock do you go through it quickly? Can it? Freeze it?

I fired up the smoker today, a tri-tip and some Siracha & honey glazed salmon. Later I added in a dish of mixes veggies to smoke too.

Finished off the Tri-Tip as fajitas. Smokey deliciousness!

T

"Skip, when you make a big batch of stock do you go through it quickly? Can it? Freeze it?"

I make about 3 quarts at a time.
When I make stock I use Swanson's chicken stock as well as water to cover chicken, one bay leaf, parsley stems, carrots, celery, onions, Blk pepper corns, and the chicken bones, whole chick, Neck, or whatever you have.

At the end of 5 hours I do add some chicken base and salt to taste.

Boil 5 or so hours and strain.
Next I cool it in the fridge, in the winter our sun porch is as cold as a fridge so I put it in there so as not to heat up the fridge.

Next (After it cools fat goes to top)I toss out the fat on top and it's ready.

I will use the box container that the Swanson's chicken stock came in and put like two cups in that and freeze it.

The rest say 2 quarts and a few cups I make into soup.
On the soup I freeze three small one serving bags for my wife to take to work and the rest we eat in a few short days.

This for a guy like you with lots to feed would work well.
But if I were you I would make bigger batches.

The frozen soup will be good for almost a year in the fridge, but it never lasts that long.

Making your own stock is the best way to make your food better.

We could feed the world with all the Turkey carcasses we throw out at Thanksgiving.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-11-10 09:01 ]

T

PS that smoked Salmon looked great!
Have you ever used that sweet soy sauce stuff?
It is great for making glazes and sauces.

https://www.amazon.com/ABC-Indonesian-Sweet-Soy-Sauce/dp/B000249E6A

https://importfood.com/products/thai-sauces-condiments/item/kecap-manis-sweet-soy-sauce

5 hours! That gets out ALL of the goodness! I'm sure you're right about better broth making better food. Can't make a good house with a crappy foundation.

The salmon was good but the smoker dries it out a bit, should have served it with dilled butter or something. I have not tried the sweet soy but it looks interesting. My brother just came back from Cancun and said he had shrimp in a really good tamarind sauce. I can't do shrimp but I need to experiment with that on chicken, fish, or pork.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies