Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Skip, that Lobster Newburg looked TOO good to be true! I didn't get the shell mention and saw the white boarder around the shell. Somehow my eye interpreted that as a photograph cut out and placed on the plate. Does that make sense? :lol:

On 2018-02-25 23:27, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Mike, You are a fearless cook/chef/baker and an inspiration to a lot of us.

You're gonna make me blush :blush: My motto is "I'm not afraid to experiment with YOUR food!" :lol:
I tried the jamaica cupcake again. I added a little balsamic vinegar and pectin to the jamaica syrup and made a jelly. It looks pretty but still doesn't have that jamaica pop

As a kid we visited an aunt in Oregon and she made us Potato and Sauerkraut Soup, it made an impression on me and I never forgot it. Now 45 years later I decided to give it a try - very good, the sauerkraut gives it a nice tang

T

"a photograph cut out and placed on the plate. Does that make sense?"

Ha! that is Hang10s gig but then it would be Dan's head super imposed on the plate.
I started collecting those shell to make one of those shell lamps think I have enough but can't find em all now.

"As a kid we visited an aunt in Oregon and she made us Potato and Sauerkraut Soup"
See now don't you wish you had that recipe from her?
That's why I write em down.

Potato and Sauerkraut Soup Sounds good, my wife used to get Sauerkraut pizza at Cappys pizza joint.

I had to follow my cook at my restaurant around before I sold it and try to write down what she did as she made food so I would have her recipes that she made at Jacks.
Her sloppy Joes was awesome!

It's really hard to find good diner food cookbooks, I know I have looked.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2018 10:55 PM

Broiled flank steak (darker than I’d intended) with roasted carrots and Nature’s candy, BRUSSELS SPROUTS! Just olive oil, salt and pepper for the veggies and a spice rub (mostly paprika) for the meat. I could eat a pound of roasted Brussels sprouts every day.

Looks delicious Hamo! I thought bacon was Nature's candy? :lol:

Made some Gai Yang tonight, grilled Thai chicken along with Coconut Curry Vegetables and Thai Fried Rice (who puts fish sauce in fried rice? :o Actually it was prett good). I experimented with Chai Chocolate Mousse. I was just a boxed mousse mix but I replaced half of the milk with Chai concentrate. The chai flavors were there but they were subtle and I'm not a fan of subtle :wink: Next time I will see if I can amp it up a little more.

My wife makes the best Chile Rellenos.

I love Chile Rellenos! I have even made them a few times but to messy for me. Do you serve them with a thin tomato based sauce with bell peppers and onions?

On 2018-03-06 14:17, MadDogMike wrote:
I love Chile Rellenos! I have even made them a few times but to messy for me. Do you serve them with a thin tomato based sauce with bell peppers and onions?

[/quote
Sometimes, mostly not. Btw, my wife use to make em with fresh Anaheim Chiles. Now she only uses Pasilla Chiles ( a bit sweeter but a lot tastier). My Mom used Canned Anaheim.(Otega Brand) but she had six Hungry kids and their friends to feed
Cheers

Good info David.

One last batch of "Taco Cart Cupcake" experiments. Margarita Cupckaes with lime cake infused (after baking) with tequila and triple sec, whipped frosting with kosher salt and Tajin, and garnished with a lime slice. Tres Leches Cupcakes with whipped cream and strawberry garnish

T

"infused (after baking) with tequila"
Good way to get the kids to sleep!

“Went to an estate sale this past weekend in Foster City. A lot of the items belonged to a previous general manager of Trader Vic's. Among the items was this binder from the Trader Vic's/Polinesio, Havana, Cuba (restaurant)

It's food recipes (not drinks). They were asking $195 for it, which was too rich for me.”

Quote from TQTQTQ
You can see that post here…

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29209&forum=2&start=45&63

So I did make the Cho Cho sauce from this book.
I made it as close to the recipe as I could but used no MSG.

Thick Soy sauce I found out is just like molasses in taste.
But I did find thick soy sauce.

Cho Cho sauce was not in my mind good.
Now, I did not know what brands they used or even if some of the brands are still made today.

Soy sauce is like wine there are many different kinds/brands.

And through the years at my diner we had to change the pancake recipe because the flour made today is different, so the ingredients may be different / changed as well.

Will make others from this book and post a good one if I find one.

Ooh, I just saw those Margarita Cupcakes. Very tempting.

Thanks for the link to that Trader Vic's Havana thread, too!

Finally had the b'day party that I was practicing cupcakes for.

De La Rosa (peanut marzipan), Churro, Flaming Hot Cheeto, Chocolate Ybarra, Margarita

They look great Mike!

T

What was the favorite flavor Mike?
Looking good.

Been making cupcakes myself lately, I try to buy the cupcake cups with the foil lining as they keep the fancy printing looking good even after cooking, and they come out of the cupcake cup with greater ease.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foil+lined+cupcake+cups&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-pbmfxYzaAhXDtlMKHYPpAcYQ_AUICygC&biw=1229&bih=588&dpr=1.56

Thanks David
Skip, people got a big kick out of them. The crowd was predominantly Hispanic and the De la Rosa ones were a big hit because a lot of Hispanic people have fond memories of that candy from their childhood. I really liked the Chocolate Ybarra, it had just the right touch of cayenne. The foil tip would have been nice 3 days ago, my pretty cupcake liners were all ugly :lol:

T

I many times need to go fact finding after your posts.
Have never liked Marzipan as the De la Rosa is said to have.

But then the stuff we grow up with is what we like.

"The foil tip would have been nice 3 days ago"
Sorry I did not think of it till I saw your last post.

AND the cupcake liners come in Mexican fiesta styles too.
I have also started colleting cupcake picks.
The plastic ones can be used over and over.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1229&bih=588&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=EJW7WubROYe5zwKuk76ADA&q=vintage+cupcake+picks&oq=vintage+cupcake+picks&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i24k1.30959.34662.0.36401.8.8.0.0.0.0.127.646.6j2.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.278...0i13k1j0i7i30k1j0i13i5i30k1.0.Gvw03mg1tHo

Skip, I'm not a big fan of the De La Rosa candy. It's a "marzipan style" but it's made of peanuts not almonds. It has a weird powdery texture.

Tonight - messy enchiladas, green salad, and a Puhi Split drink

T

Fried wanton...

With sesame seeds? Looks good!

T

On 2018-04-19 12:39, MadDogMike wrote:
With sesame seeds? Looks good!

Yes,
And thank you.

That is one of those throw away grill screens you find at walmart in the grilling section.
They are great for cooling racks.

https://www.amazon.com/Oscarware-3-Pack-Disposable-Topper-12-Inch/dp/B00E97FAAA/ref=sr_1_13/143-2799074-1088537?ie=UTF8&qid=1524170187&sr=8-13&keywords=grill+screen

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-04-19 13:38 ]

Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers with Stewed Tomatoes and Zucchini, no carbs tonight

Loco Moco for dinner. My wife prefers hers with a Mai Tai-I think a beer is perfect.
Cheers

Looks delicious. I've never tried Moco Loco, I need to make it one of these days

Barbecued ribs Korean style,macaroni Salad, and grilled peppers.Luv cooking outdoors
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2018-04-23 21:39 ]

Ohhhhh... now yer cookin' David!!! I like the macaroni shells, gives a tropical accent :)

I think this marks the end of soup season. It's been over 100 degrees the last few days.
Carne in Su Jugo (Meat in it's juice). I first tried this at the Pantera Rosa in Zamora, Michoachan. Fire roasted tomatillos, fire roasted tomatoes, fire roasted serrano peppers, (leftover) fire roasted carne asada and pinto beans

Swineapples Al Pastor. Trim and hollow a pineapple, stuff with cooked Al Pastor pork, wrap with bacon and bake until bacon is done. Slice and serve

Lime pie with coconut macaroon crust.

No fresh key limes to be had so I subbed Persian limes. Macaroon crust helps take away some of the tart. Found the recipe at
https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/key-lime-pie-with-coconut-macaroon-crust/ - wish I'd thought of it!

[ Edited by: coldwarspacemonkey 2018-05-23 13:49 ]

Looks great Space Monkey. Just as well, key limes are too much trouble to juice :lol:

I know it's just getting to be Spring for a lot of you but it's already full blown summer here on the Anvil of the Sun. A nice cool salad for dinner - chicken, raw zucchini, olives, bell pepper, fresh basil, tomatoes, Italian dressing & Greek seasoning. Sometimes I'll add pasta or mozzarela cheese, but not this time around.

Mixed grill on chibata roll - pork loin, tri-tip, and linguica.

H

Yummmm

MadDogMike - thanks!
That salad looks great. The tomatoes and basil are all ready to go here in N Florida. Didn't plant zucchini, but have lots of cucumbers. I may try subbing them in your recipe.
I completely agree on the key limes - like squeezing ping pong balls. I've got a lime bush out back (it could only be very generously called a "tree") that started out as a "patio lime" that I planted a few years back. Small but I got 21 limes from it last year and tried the substitution for key limes then. (some were the size of oranges - 4oz juice from one!)

Cucumbers instead of zucchini in that salad and I'm crashing your dinner party!

Using up the tomatoes and basil from the garden with a simple Caprese salad.

Ummmmmm... nuthin' like fresh, sun-warmed tomatoes

Yes, Please! Pass the balsamic...

H

And some crunchy baguette with olive oil drizzled all over it.

Darn! I knew I was forgetting something! :D

Cajun Turkey Breast, Red Beans & Rice, Creole Veggies and a Nutty Ocho Rios drink

It's 110 out today, how about some nice cool minimal cooking "everything but the kitchen sink" pasta salad

H

Mike nice selection of meals.

Made these Armenian Butter/cinnamon/sour cream cookies a while back.

Ohhhh, that looks delicious Hilda! What's the glaze? Are you Armenian?

H

Yes and the glaze is just egg wash.

Sunday night - Porterhouse Steaks with mashed potatoes and salad (no pic)

Monday night - Mongolian Beef made with the leftover Porterhouse, white rice and Asian veggies

Tuesday night - Thai Chicken, Asian Salad, and Lemonagrass Fried Rice made with leftover white rice and leftover Asian veggies

Chicken Jalfrezi Curry, Garam Masala Potatoes, Salad, and Agrabana Grog

Yum!

And that reminds me: time to make some more curry syrup.

That reminds me
I’m hungry

On 2018-08-23 22:02, bamalamalu wrote:
Yum!

And that reminds me: time to make some more curry syrup.

That sounds interesting, what do you use it in? Also check out the Garam Masala Syrup in Agrabana Grog

Jon - :lol:

Heh!

The Garam Masala syrup is actually what I meant; I just couldn't remember the actual name (and I'm lazy!) I got the idea from you posting the Agrabana Grog recipe here in the past, so Thanks again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies