Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Cammo,glad to see you joined the group!

Well I don't know why people are not voting on their favorite meals posted here, Voting ends Sunday Night @ 12am
Step up everyone and just pick your favorite meal posted right here!

I know people are checking out the thread, over 7500 views now since December
Join in,at this moment only 2 votes have been posted!!!!

A little support would be great, Amybean,MadDogMike,Haole'akamai & now others,take the time out to share all the great food they make
so at least the rest of you can do is let them know!

Good food is as important as a good cocktail in the Tiki lifestyle, so step up and engage.

(This Message brought to you by the Monitors) keeping an eye on you 24/7,the Monitors,we are watching you!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-19 17:24 ]

A

Also having a repeat meal tonight (= easy) so this time I'll just show the ingredients:

yes, that IS a Forbidden Island mug in the background, good eye!

Where is the wig bowl! Amy.

We have a few giant meatballs left ftom last night's dinner, Mrs. Tiki Punk is thinking Meatball Sandwiches!

All hail the Pepperjack!

A

Wig bowl is hiding from teasing. Maybe needs a few drinks to loosen up. :wink:
Will see what I can do...

Amy, here is a friend for your wig bowl.

A

haha that is a great wig. Here is the drink that has laid me low- 9:30 bedtime. Goodnight!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Feb 20, 2010 7:44 AM

Here's my vote, if it counts fer anything, which it don't;

Gold - The Olympic Spread with the Nanaimo bars for dessert. A PERFECT 50 out of 50!

Silver - The gooey Spam Musubi. (I think I made musubi the day after by coincidence.)

Bronze - Quiche Lorraine. YUM.

These are highly opinionated choices and should be treated as such.

Thanks Cam :blush: but I'm afraid your vote doesn't count because your are Canadian and therefore biased! Glad to see you in here Cammo :)

Ok, I went through the thread a couple times, and here is my vote... (drumroll please)

First Place:
Island Burger - by Atomic Tiki Punk
BBQ Burger, Pepperjack cheese,Teryaki sauce, Grilled Pineapples & all the trimmings w/Red Potato Salad.
***This meal has my mouth watering whenever I see it - definitely need to make that soon

Second Place:
Cabbage & Cranberry Stuffed Pork Loin with Cider Cream Sauce - by MadDog Mike
***I love me some pork, and this was a creative spin.

Third Place:
Eggplant Parmagiana - by Amy Bean
***Perfectly cooked golden-brown cheesy top gets props in my book!

Honorable mention:
Chicken Tikka Masala - by ATP
***Loved this one just cuz... it's one of my favorite foods of all time. (Did you know this was named the most popular dish in England?)

Honorable mention:
Quorn enchiladas verde - by Haole'akamai
***Also perfectly executed... I've never had quorn before but you've piqued my interest!

Thanks for playing everybody - I enjoy checking out the thread and post when I can!

Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2010-02-20 12:08 ]

Now its nice to see some feedback from you guys, Thanks! we need some more votes before we can have a sure winner
so all the rest of you loiterers, come out of the shadows and vote for your favorite meal on the dinner thread.

Because if you don't I will find you and I will submit you to my wacky humor, some people find this "unpleasant" if you know what I mean, so there.......

Last minute dessert entry! Presenting Mai Tai Pie!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Feb 20, 2010 9:44 PM

Some more pies - this time PIZZA.

Nothing scarier than an empty canvas. (Except 3 empty canvases.)

Dressed to kill.

Fiesta Pizza - Frank's Hot Sauce instead of tomato, with chillis, Mexican cheese, etc.

The Works, extra garlic!

Pepperoni Lovers' Delight

Atsa nice pizza, hay?

Very nice job on the pizza Cammo! I have been hoping someone here would do some pizzas
I have been wanting to make some pizza dough for a while.

A

C

Eye-Talion Pizza Dough:

1.25 cups water
2 tsp. yeast
2 tblsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
3+ cups flour

Soft Fluffy Bready Pizza Dough:

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. sugar
2.25 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
1 egg
2.75+ cups flour

I always end up using more flour than noted above, and also I cheat by simply tossing all the ingredients into a bread machine and hitting the "dough" button! That's all my bread machine does, is make pizza dough. It usually takes about 1.5 hours to stir and rise.

If you want to get around the dough making, just ask at a local pizzaria how much for a chunk of raw dough. (I've bought it for 2 bucks, no tax.) Spread it out on the olive-oiled pans and give it another 1/2 hour to rise.

Also, I start the cooking at 450 degrees, just nuke the things! Then after 10 minutes turn it down to 375. If you really want to take it to the mat, brush the crusts with milk/egg.

OGR

VOTE! I'll go with Woofmutt...

AND

OPPS! I mean...oh never mind.

OGR

Seriously, A great thread...Thanks ATP! Amazing food from amybean-ATP-MDM-Cammo-Haole'akamai-twitch-TongaTom-Trad'r Bill-BastardoSaffrin and even long lost Zeta....I think I'll go with MDM's Chicken Paella. Awesome looking food everybody!

Thanks for joining in & voting Rummy...

Wig Bowls wild day out!

On 2010-02-21 01:06, amybean wrote:

Good lookin' pies; Mai Tai and pizza. I think it was that Mai Tai pie recipe that inspired me to make Mai Tai sundaes for one of the Chops - I'll have to see if I can find a picture.

Nothing difficult tonight: Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon, bisquits, steamed Rapini with Balsalmic Vinegar, mashed potatoes, and grilled Zucchini with Greek seasoning. Chocolate frosted brownies for dessert.

MDM, everything is better wrapped in Bacon!

I went total comfort food tonight, made some Chili & in my quest for a really good hotdog, I got some Boars Head hotdogs to try.
MDM, they where beefy & crunchy like a ball park dog should be, I give them a 4 out of 5.

Chili Dogs with a side of Chili.....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-21 20:32 ]

A

I loooove hot dogs!

We had tacos and frogurts near the matinee, but I cooked this eve for lunch tomorrow:

chicken piccata, kale and chard, lentils, and quinoa with shitakes.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

O.K. the voting has ended with a total of only 5 people voting (WHAT!) here are the meals that where selected by the voters!

Chicken Paella: MadDogMike
Island Burger: Atomic Tiki Punk
The Olympic Spread: MadDogMike
Chinese BBQ Pork with Pineapple Coconut Rice: Atomic Tiki Punk
The Olympic Spread: MadDogMike

So the winner with 2 votes is MADDOGMIKE'S OLYMPIC SPREAD!!!
congratulations go to Mike on his many posts & culinary confections and I hope many more posts in the future!
Thanks to everyone else who has posted & remarked on our little thread.

On 2010-02-12 20:41, MadDogMike wrote:
OK, here's Canadian Winter Olympics Opening Ceremonies Dinner:

Winter Olympic Tablescape with Olympic Torch

Québécois Poutine & Soupe aux Pois Jaunes

Cabbage & Cranberry Stuffed Pork Loin with Cider Cream Sauce

:lol: The handmade Pierogies and Sausages were a BUST! :lol:
I boiled and drain them and then got ready to pan fry them. They all fused into one giant glob! I fried it up anyway, looked like crap but tasted good :)

Herb Roasted Root Vegetables (potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, sunchokes, & onions)
No picture of the Kraft Dinner, you've seen mac & cheese before.

And dessert, Butter Tarts (back) & Nanaomi Bars (front)

Dinner for 10, we're all STUFFED :D

Thank you all so very much, I am honored to recieve this award. Thank all of those who have posted dinners, your inspiration will always hold a special place in my heart. I want to give a special and personal thank you to Atomic Tiki Punk and AmyBean whose tireless cooking efforts have not gone un-noticed. You are the wind beneath my wings, the PEPPER in the JACK CHEESE of my life. I would like to thank the 3 people who voted for me and also the 8000 members of the Lurker/Lookiloo Academy who viewed this thread but didn't bother to vote. I want to thank Woofmutt for his "Vote for Cheese & Crackers" Campaign - sometimes catastophic adversity and persecution can bring a group of people together with an inseparable bond. I would like to thank my beatiful wife of 28 years, Leslie, without whom none of this would be possible. I want to thank my high school "Bachelor Survival" teacher Mrs Hazel Tassis who helped me to dream. I also have a list of other people here I want to thank... Hey wait, I'm not done yet, don't take that microphone!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

With tears welling up! Best Dinner Contest speech ever!

This concludes the 2010 Best Dinner Awards! MadDogMike take us out with a song!

A

MadDogMike that was a very moving speech! sob! Congrats!!

You guys are the greatest! and this is the most delicious thread EVAR!!

I felt a need to bust out some awards

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-02-22 13:05 ]

OK ATP, you asked for it:

:music: You know I love that organic cooking
I always ask for more
And they call me Mr Natural
On down to the health food store
I only eat good sea salt
White sugar don't touch my lips
And my friends is always begging me
To take them on macrobiotic trips
Yes, they are

Oh, but at night I take out my strong box
That I keep under lock and key
And I take it off to my closet
Where nobody else can see
I open that door so slowly
Take a peek up north and south
Then I pull out a Hostess Twinkie
And I pop it in my mouth

Yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr Natural
Just as healthy as I can be
But at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me

Well, at lunchtime you can always find me
At the Whole Earth Vitamin Bar
Just sucking on my plain white yogurt
From my hand thrown pottery jar
And sippin' a little hand pressed cider
With a carrot stick for dessert
And wiping my face in a natural way
On the sleeve of my peasant shirt
Oh, yeah

Ah, but when that clock strikes midnight
And I'm all by myself
I work that combination on my secret hideaway shelf
And I pull out some Fritos corn chips
Dr Pepper and an ole Moon Pie
Then I sit back in glorious expectation
Of a genuine junk food high

Oh yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr Natural
Oh, but at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me

My friends Tiki Central
They think I'm pretty neat
Oh, I don't know much about arts and crafts
But I show 'em all something to eat
I'm a friend to old ATP
And I only eat home grown spice
I got a Amy Bean autographed Grecian urn
Filled up with my brown rice
Yes, I do

Oh, folks but lately I have been spotted
With a Big Mac on my breath
Stumbling into a Colonel Sanders
With a face as white as death
I'm aftraid someday they'll find me
Just stretched out on my bed
With a handful of Pringles potato chips
And a Ding Dong by my head

In the daytime I'm Mr Natural
But at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me :music:

(Sorry, double post)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-02-22 13:15 ]

with hands clapping like a complete retard (very unP.C.) Giant L.O.L. MDM & Amy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I got to get back to work! Later!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-22 13:42 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Feb 22, 2010 1:55 PM

Is there a prize for the biggest ham?

Cause Mike would get that too!

Sorry no food today, maybe later?
we are all hung over from MadDogMike's Dinner award party, sorry MDM you could not be there! I was very happy to accept
all the toast's in your honor. shhhhhhhhhh.....not so loud.....shhhhhh....my head....

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 6:39 PM

I vote we keep this thread going and just ignore Mike winning the Executive Cordon Bleu Grande Prize du Cannes of Tomato Sauce. Don't get me wrong, he deserves it, but this is too fun & addictive a thread to shut down over a little matter like winning huge cash prizes.

Makin' Jambalaya tonight, will post pics later!

Cash prizes? what cash prizes, Cammo do you know something I don't?

Yes Jambalaya! one of my favorites, looking forward to your post Cammo.

On 2010-02-23 18:39, Cammo wrote:
I vote we keep this thread going and just ignore Mike winning the Executive Cordon Bleu Grande Prize du Cannes of Tomato Sauce. Don't get me wrong, he deserves it, but this is too fun & addictive a thread to shut down over a little matter like winning huge cash prizes.

Makin' Jambalaya tonight, will post pics later!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 8:02 PM

There aren't cash prizes involved???!!??!?!?!

Jambalaya the retardedly lazy but delicious way:

I've tried making it from scratch but these guys make it better, NEW LOOK! SAME GREAT TASTE! 15% MORE!!!!

The secret is to basically add every leftover you have in the fridge, here we see chopped up chicken, sausage, ham, and frozen shrimp:

Burn everythjing but the shrimp first, and spice it up.

Heave everything (and the shrimp) into a large Japanese rice cooker.
Punch the ON button, Chewie!

1/2 hour later, DINNER. Served with a Simple Caesar Salad, it looks OK but tastes GREAT, especially with a German Wheat Beer and lots of Frank's RedHot Original.

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I also use Zatarain's as a starting point for my Jambalaya - why re-invent the wheel? :lol:

On my list of things to do; 10 layer Smith Island cake and has anyone ever cured their own olives from fresh off the tree? It has me intrigued.

A

Your meals are all very inspiring! I was also thinking about an Iron Chef! Anyone?

The tricky part for me has been that I mostly cook for lunches, not dinner.
(And am a stickler for details.) Food To Go doesn't photograph as well.

What's next?

PS- I sent the Fresh Pork post into plasticandplush toy blog and he ran it today:
http://plasticandplush.com/2010/02/fresh-pork.html

MDM you are everywhere!

C

I have a great Chocolate Boston Cream Pie, what about a Cake Bake?

Or a theme - like Chinese, Seafood, Sandwiches, Hawaiian, etc?

I'm in.

T

Here's my suggestion for a theme...if this is choosen I'm SO IN!!

BACHELOR PASTA NIGHT :lol:

i.e. spaghetti and meatballs can be SO sensuous - remember those classic Betty Crocker cookbook photos?

yummmmmm!

A

A theme or ingredient! I don't cook Hawaiian, and would like to learn some recipes that are not entirely ironic, so my vote would be in that direction.

Oh my GOD! am I the only cooking "Puritan" here! I always make meals from scratch! that's my deal man, Heretics!
well to be fair, more then half the time I use canned chrushed tomatos and premade chicken & beef stock, but you can really taste the deference when you make it from scratch, of course cost & time is a major factor for all of us.

But I like to use spices & fresh herbs as a base to all the dishes I cook, no packets or boxes!!!!
well I do use Pancake mix to.

Damn!
Damn again!
Damn some more!

May I vote for no more contests?

On 2010-02-24 14:34, Haole'akamai wrote:
May I vote for no more contests?

Haole'akamai, what! we have just one contest here & your ready to throw in the towel?
OK how about this, we have a contest and everyone can vote on having any more contests!
we will call it "Should we have another Contest" Contest!

With all the great feedback we got from the thousands of views,on our little thread, well Haole'akamai I think you are right, after all it took me a whole 3 minutes to tally the votes on the last contest, when I could of been catching all the informative & helpful entries on SHOUT! by an unnamed TCer Hint(dog noise!)

But it was worth it for MadDogMike's award show,wish you all could have been there! good times...

:drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink: :lol: :drink:

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-24 18:25 ]

OK Cam, why are there chopsticks by the Jambalaya? You know that's a Cajun/Creole dish and not Chinese/Cambodian don't you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of Cajun and Iron Chef- my friend and I made an Cajun Iron Chef spoof video a few years back, the "secret ingredient" was Tabasco :D

:drink: So will you post the video? MDM well You! brought it up. :drink:

MDM, Good catch on Cammo's chopsticks,we will need a fair & equal mocking,due to the inappropriate use of
utensils in the consumption of Cajun Food, I rest my case....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-24 19:06 ]

Today's Secret word is.....Tabasco!

:tiki: :sheckymug: :tiki: :D :tiki: :sheckymug: :tiki: :D :tiki: :sheckymug: :tiki: :D :tiki:

Well I don't really want it on YouTube and it's too big to post anywhere else. I'll make sure you get to see it ATP :D If you're really bored though, I do have one of my video productions on YouTube; JCAHO Linebacker is an educational/comedy video about safety errors in the hospital (some of the humor is specific to healthcare workers). Up to 27,000 views!

TT

Vegan enchilada with black beans, but the onions were sauteed with butter, so they're only vegetarian.
The pickled carrots onions, and jalapenos are homemade too.

Filling: extra firm tofu blended with Mexican oregano, cumin, fresh chopped garlic and onion, s&p (add a little chili power or cayenne if you want some kick) and a little oil in the food processor. Cook ground mixture a little in a pan (just to soften the onion and garlic content) then cooled. In this batch, I combined the tofu with some cooked brown rice, a little cooked millet and some vegan cheese mix (sometimes I might use lightly sauteed veggies cut into sticks, maybe zucchini in the mix). The "tortillas" are collard greens with the center spine removed and quickly blanched in a little water in a wide enough skillet (they darken and become pliant when ready). A little canned enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay out your collard; overlap, fold or tear and patch as needed...fill, roll and repeat. Sauce on top, "cheese" on top, cover & bake around 350 for about 35.

the pickle should have been semi homemade, fresh onion, carrots and a few whole jalapenos with pickled jalapenos added with more vinegar garlic and corriander and cumin seed. Shake.
-Sherriyaki

[ Edited by: TongaTom 2010-02-25 17:59 ]

[ Edited by: TongaTom 2010-02-25 18:11 ]

On 2010-02-24 19:04, TongaTom wrote:
Vegan enchilada with black beans, but the onions were sauteed with butter, so they're only vegetarian.
The pickled carrots onions, and jalapenos are homemade too.

Homemade Escabeche, excellent! TongaTom, feel like posting your recipe?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-24 19:10 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-24 19:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies