Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps

H

Looks great Mike.

I had a small get together with some friends for Christmas. I served Indian food, I made some and I also ordered some from an Indian restaurant near by. The white rice has some tadik pieces on top. Tadik is fried pita bread that placed at the bottom of the pan with olive oil and partly cooked rice is poured on top and cooked. When done, this is what it looks like.

Ooooooo! I love Indian food! Looks delicious Hilda!

T

Table looks great!

Don't think I like Indian food.
Do like Apu's Squishee slushees from the Kwik-E-Mart, do they come in curry flavor?

I don't like curry though.

Real Kwik-E-Mart....
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/photos-kwik-e-mart-from-simpsons-opens-in-real-life-in-myrtle-beach.html

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-12-24 05:31 ]

Skip, one of my bonus daughters doesn't like curry either - you guys are missing out! :o

Lentil Soup with Guiness Beer Bread

And a Nui Nui

Kabobs - Potatoes, squash, mini bell peppers, and pork

Along with a Polynesian Pearl (not the Polynesian Pearl Driver

T

Chinese New Year is coming.
This is a great time to go to the Chinese grocery stores and shop.
It's like Christmas there, very crowded and the best part they have sales and lots of lobsters and more.

So go check em out around the Feb 1st or 2nd.
Maybe even January 26 or 27.

February 4th: New Year¡¯s Eve (³ýϦ¡ªch¨²x¨¬)
Depending on the moon cycle, New Year¡¯s Eve either lands on the 29th or 30th of the lunar December. Regardless, this day is also known as the 30th of the year (´óÄêÈýÊ®¡ªd¨¤ ni¨¢n s¨¡n sh¨ª).

Lunar date
December 30th (À°ÔÂÈýÊ®¡ªl¨¤ yu¨¨ s¨¡n sh¨ª)
Solar (Gregorian) date
February 4th, 2019
Activities & traditions
The reunion dinner, the most important meal of the year, takes place on this day. After dinner, the children will receive red envelopes. The family will then stay up late and wait for the New Year (ÊØËꡪsh¨¯u su¨¬).
Food
A feast of everyone¡¯s favorites and specialties.

https://chinesenewyear.net/calendar/

Skip, I got no Asian markets in my hicktown :( But we're planning a Chinese New Year Party anyway, it coincides with my brothers birthday - any excuse is good enough for me :D

T

"no Asian markets in my hicktown"

WOW!
That's nutz, Columbus has many!

In fact we got all types of Mexican, Indian, ect.

Skip I did make it to a big Asian market in San Diego today. Because of logistics, I wasn't able to pick up any fresh or frozen foods but had a good time looking at the beef pizzle, pork bungs, duck tongues, etc. I did pick nice red paper and hideous gelatinous rice cake fish :o

T

We know this girl from China and she brings me Chinese cut paper, they hang these in the windows.
They cut them by hand!

Watch this to see true skill and artistry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMwH6y1nus

Red and Yellow are two of the colors for this new year, like is that not always the colors?

I wish they could or at least would not act like they don't understand what Americans say when we go into their stores.
Have been told that many of the people that say "I don't understand English" can understand what you are saying they just don't want to bother.

The foreign students at OSU were the best, so interesting to hear of their lives where they lived.
Plus they would shriek "mr. John" when they saw me how can you not love that.

Am going this weekend, the decs you got are cool.

Going to make Lobster Bisk if I find good lobsters.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-01-17 08:43 ]

One of my Bonus Daughters requested Jamaican food last night

Red Snapper Escovich

Jerked Chicken

Black Beans & Rice

Tostones

Vegetable Rundown

Cream Cheese and Pineapple Empanada with Mango Sorbet

Jamaican Mule

One of everything except the fish and a side of Guinness bread, please.

:lol: I'm not a big fan of fish but it's fried, can't go wrong there. And the sweet/sour/spicy sauce was pretty good too.

H

Mike do you make all the food yourself? looks great.

Hi Hilda! The missus helped. I also had some helped from Mahatma yellow rice, Lawrey's jerk marinade, Spring House egg roll wrappers, Bush's black beans, and Smucker's pineapple jam :D

T

Ha! Mike you should get sponsors.

Mike here is the décor at a local Chinese market.

Year of the Pig.
But no pigs?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-01-24 09:27 ]

Those are cool Skip. Except that white stuff on the ground, it's just plain COLD!!!

BB

Tuna Poke!

That looks pretty good Bam!

H

Bam Bam, that looks delicious.

Chinese New Year tonight for a dozen people

Egg Rolls Appetizers

Mongolian Beef

Pork Fried Rice

Dessert

From top clockwise - Mango Sorbet with Lychee Fruit, Fortune Cookie, Almond Cookie, some kind of New Year's cake made from gelatinous rice and sugar, I pan fried it and it melted like cheese but it wasn't too bad.

Not pictured Orange Chicken, Stir Fried Veggies, China Clipper Cocktail (rum, lemon, Chinese 5 spice syrup) and Caramelized Pineapple Margarita with Mezcal

My fortune cookie said "What irony - that Mongolian Beef was neither" :o :lol:

Take leftover Mongolian Beef from above. Rinse the sauce off in a colander. Place in crockpot with broth, veggies, and barley. Beef and Barley Soup instead of leftover Chinese :lol:

T

Happy Chinese new year!

Very busy at the stores this weekend.
And I did see Lobster went up from $11.99 to $12.99 a pound today.

That looks delicious Skip! If you like sea roaches :lol: (I'm allergic so that's what I tell myself so I don't feel left out :D )

T

Have you seen this?
This guy is the Willy Wonka of food, such a great show.

Hestons Fantastical Food "The Pub In a Pie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdMKgUkjr8

That chap is bloody bonkers! But that was great fun! I like the Pub in a Shed, the Brit version of the home Tiki bar

Great looking food folks. Hey, This is almost Tiki..well in spelling :) When it's freezing, how about Tikka Masala? Chicken w/ roasted fresh Green Beans/Cauliflower/asst Peppers/Peas etc over Basmati Rice, with Nan.

Looks delicious OGR! Must have been something in the air tonight, I had Indian Butter Chicken tonight with Basmati Rice and Tumeric Cauliflower and Peas. No pic this time

H

Looks delicious OGR.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2019-02-19 22:25 ]

Couple more weeks and soup season will be over here on The Anvil of the Sun. Tonight, Loaded Potato Soup with Bacon and Polsa Kielbasa

T

Welcome back OGR!
How's your knee?

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

BB

Stepping up my sushi game with spicy tuna hand rolls, uramaki, and various smoked salmon, magurozuke, and crab norimaki rolls.

[ Edited by: Bam Bam 2019-02-28 18:36 ]

H

Bam Bam, sushi looks great.

Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado

Bam Bam and Hilda those all look great! Bam, I think the bonus daughters and I are going to be making sushi again soon! Hilda, I cooked butternut squash tonight too!

Tandori Chicken, Tikka Masala Veggies, and Pita Bread (my local store was out of Naan :( )

Went here today

Saw this and thought of you guys

Nice! But $50/lb RAW!!! :o

That’s why we went home without a tomahawk
:)

:up: :lol:

Stuffed Porkloin

Large pork loin spiral cut into a 12"x24" piece

Seasoned both sides, covered in a mixture of diced green apples, dried cranberries, walnuts, and maple syrup

Rolled

Baked, finished on the grill, glazed in more maple syrup, and sliced.

Pan juices poured over the top

OGR

Awesome looking grindz, y'all. Mike, That Pork Loin looks AMAZING. Thursday we had our Daughter's requested B-Day Dinner. I got a local piece of Lamb (17.00 a lb, thought it was 2 racks-$80.00, but it was a large untrimmed rack-talked to them and got a 35.00 gift card) from Cedar Creek Meat Market and butchered it down to a Rack-Garlic and Dijon crusted, and we had it with Roasted Asparagus and my Wife's bodacious Baked Stuffed Potatoes. BTW, Skip, Yes, I have a great new therapist and am starting to use a cane...slow but sure. Thanks.

I'm not a big lamb fan but it looks delicious!

H

Mad Dog and Or Got Rum, both of your dishes look delicious.

Balsamic Steak Roll-Ups
Thin sliced beef wrapped around asparagus, zucchini, and red peppers. Grilled and topped with Balsamic Reduction, served with Roasted Pepper Quinoa

Panko Crusted Pan Fried Salmon. No Rice, Trying to cut back on the carbs :lol:

I have a confession to make, I just bought the salmon to try another experiment. We have an upcoming Sushi night with the bonus daughters. I want to make some "Goldfish" Nigiri (with the fish on top) and tell them I had too many goldfish in the pond. I took a piece of the silver belly skin and painted orange gel food coloring on it, very convincing :D

H

Funny mike, I like fried fish but never thought of frying salmon, looks good.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies