Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

"Never thought of frying salmon" ???!!! All fish is delicious fried :lol:

Last night's dinner, Chicken Scampi

T

Grilled pork tenderloin with Pineapple and Jalapeno glaze.
serve with couscous and jalapeno pineapple relish.

Oh, and Kahiki Swizzle drinks.

That looks good Skip!

You guys are making me hungry and I just ate! Wonderful creations!
For tonight, Mrs. Monkey found a recipe for ziti with tomato, Kalamata olives, capers, garlic and parsley. (I added the Parmesan because, well, cheese.)

Since the key limes are overachieving this year -

• the only thing to do was honor them with a key lime pie in a chocolate graham cracker crust, accompanied by coconut chocolate chip ice cream (because, well, chocolate.)

CWSM, those both look really good. Funny how I love both chocolate and Kalamata olives but don't think they would go well together :lol:

Last night was Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken. Chicken was hasselbacked (new tern I just learned, sliced most of the way through before cooking) and stuffed with bacon (because, well, bacon :D ) cheeses, jalapenos and baked. It was so good that I think I will make it tomorrow when my brother and his wife come over for dinner! Served with Quinoa & Rice, and Zucchini & Corn with Cheese

BACON!!! :D
Great idea MDM! I'll try that - looks mighty tasty.

Earlier this month, Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwiches with some friends on the flat-top propane grill

Catching up on some dinners

Another Spanish night with more paella

Tapas

Miguelitos, Spanish dessert - puff pastry filled with chocolate

And of course, sangria with plenty of fresh fruit (but not pictured)

Then, inspired by Olive Garden's Build your own Lasagna Rolls. Nice dish for entertaining because people pick their own sauce and protein
Unsauced lasagna rolls

Sauted chicken. Meatballs and shrimp would have added to the selection (except I'm allergic to shrimp)

Red sauce, Alfredo sauce, and pesto sauce - choose your own.

Assemble and eat.

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2019-08-05 23:58 ]

Great idea for the lasagna rolls!
Meanwhile, Mrs Monkey made me a cake for my birthday yesterday. Double devil's food with chocolate ganache.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Aug 18, 2019 5:02 PM

Today's brunch: eggs were medium (I would have preferred them easy), and added a little dijon mustard to the potatoes while frying them on the stovetop. Washed down with a Bay Breeze from Trader Vic's.

CWS - You can't have too much chocolate right?
Hamo - Good looking brunch! All it needed was some ham-o! :lol:

I cooked up a few things this week;

Chinese Dumplings - steamed ones (back) with Ginger Pork and baked ones (front) with Char Sui Pork

Jerked Chicken with Yellow Rice and Black Beans

H

Good looking food everyone, here's my shakshuka with feta dish, first time try, very delicious.
I used fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, shishito peppers from the garden.

I had to look up shakshuka Hilda, that looks very good! Do you have a cultural connection to Middle Eastern food?

Chinese food for my (adult) son's b'day. Fried Rice, Spicy Orange Chicken, Sweet & Sour Pork, Szechuan Beef, and a China Clipper cocktail in the to go container

Piri Piri Chicken with Crispy Potatoes, and Oven Roasted Butternut Squash

H

Mike, I like all food, here in the Valley Shakshuka is served in a lot of restaurants. Your spicy orange chicken sounds delicious.
Love lemon flavored anything, here is lemon cake with cream cheese lemon frosting.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Sep 9, 2019 8:50 PM

Everything here looks tasty. I just made Eggs in Purgatory, which seems related to shakshuka but certainly doesn't look as festive as hiltiki's.

You're right Hilda, lemon is delicious in almost anything
I had to look up Eggs in Purgatory Hamo :lol: Seems like it needs cheese?

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Cheese would have been good, Mike, but this was thrown together with what I had, and I didn't have cheese....

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 11, 2019 8:08 PM

Oh, speaking of lemon, I recently stumbled on this video with recipes for curry and lemon seasoned green beans shared by THE Vincent Price. The whole thing is great, but the Indian Spiced Green Beans recipe (which I haven't tried) starts at the 3:24 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_cFt15dQY

The shakshuka and eggs in purgatory look really interesting - think I'm going to try making them for the missus.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Oct 1, 2019 9:19 PM

I had my sis and brother-in-law over for dinner last night. They'd had a bad day, so to lighten their spirits I made Mai Tais and Loco Moco to recall their Hawaiian honeymoon.

However, I forgot to take a photo, so here's leftovers.

LOCO MOCO!!!!!

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Nov 10, 2019 2:40 PM

Had some leftover Parmigiano-Reggiano from something else, so I made Fettuccine Alfredo (actually, this was Frank Sinatra's recipe):

That looks simple and elegant, very clean!

Great page
Me so hungry

Machaca! Northern Mexican dish traditionally made with shredded dried meat. This one is made from (not dried) shredded beef, bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and hot peppers. Perfect in a burrito or for breakfast with eggs as Machaca con Huevos

H

Mike yum, looks delicious. Hamo, your dishes look delicious as well.

Thanks Hilda. Another regional specialty tonight. Empanadas a known all over Latin America but these deep fried cheese ones are known as Special Quesadillas. Legend has it they were invented in California's Imperial Valley in the 1950s but no one can definitively say by whom. They are rarely seen on menus outside of the Imperial Valley

Time for a food dump (wait, that didn't sound right! :lol: )

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Wafer garnishes

Cream Potato & Ham Soup made with leftover ham bone

Spatchcocked Peking Style Roasted Turkey

The rest of the Hawaiian inspired traditional Thanksgiving dinner - Peking Style Roasted Turkey, Kona Coffee Ham, Hawaiian Herbed Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry Mango Chutney, King's Hawaiian Rolls, Oven Roasted Green Beans with Macadamia Nuts, Kahuna Dave's "Green Stuff", Sweet Potato Casserole, Asian Salad.

Banana Creme Pie, Coconut Creme Pie, Put da Lime in da Coconut Pie, Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Leftover Turkey Jambalaya and Roased Cajun Vegetables

Pernil (Roasted Puerto Rican Pork), Black Beans and Rice, Salad, Rum Cake, and Coruba Kahlua Colada

OK, I think that's it :D

Zoikes!

T

What is a "Hawaiian Herb"?

Taro root?

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 12, 2019 10:17 PM

I was invited over tonight for my sister's crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala. I provided the drinks; also pictured is my brother-in-law's Trader Vic Grog (with some really sad mint....)

Hamo, I love me some Tikka Masala or pretty much any Indian food!

Skip, I'm not sure what "Hawaiian Herbs" are? The only Hawaiian Herb I can think of is pakalolo :lol: My daughter brought those and I didn't ask any questions

MadDogMike - Looks fantastic! Any time you have a little extra... :lol:
Hamo - Chicken Tikka Masala? Oh, yeah!!

Meanwhile, Mrs. Monkey made me a Rum Cake - Myers's in the batter and Cruzan gold in the syrup/icing (not a big fan of Bacardi since that unfortunate incident in college...).

Oh yeah! Rum Cake!!!

Greek (or at least Mediterranean) Christmas Eve

Cocktail - Limoncello with Prosecco, garnished with dried fig, lemon, and star anise

Appetizers
Costco ready to bake appetizers

Canned Dolmas

Pita Chips and Hummus

Fried Halloumi Cheese and Kalamata Olives

Greek Salad

Greek Orzo & Feta Cheese

I made my own Gyros meat, recipe below

Pita bread, Gyro Meat, Tomatoes, (I held the onions), and Tzatziki Sauce

Dessert - all homemade
Walnut Baklava with Dark Chocolate

Pistachio Baklava Cups

Lemon Bars

I did several experiments looking for a serviceable Gyro recipe, here's what I ended up with and thought it was pretty good
2 lbs 85% Ground Beef
10 oz 85% Ground Lamb
3 heaping T minced Garlic
1 heaping t Oregano
1 heaping t Marjoram
1 t Rosemary
1 t Thyme
1 heaping t Black Pepper
1 heaping t Salt
1 Egg
1/2 c Bread Crumbs

Mix very well with your hands, Pack into a loaf pan and rest overnight. Bake at 325 foe 1 hr 20 minutes. Weight with a foil covered brick when out of the oven. Cool, then refrigerate until cold. Slice as thin as possible and fry crisp in a griddle with a little olive oil.

MadDogMike - that is truly impressive!

Here is our traditional Christmas Eve menu - snow crab and lobster.

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas CWSM! That looks delicious, even if I am allergic to crab and lobster :lol:

Had leftover Halloumi (Middle Eastern cheese) from Greek Christmas Eve dinner so I make a Turkish Veggie Bake -
Zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, lentils, and garbanzos. Seasoned with cumin, turmeric, garlic, smoked papkika, crushed red pepper flakes. Topped with grill halloumi cheese, very good

Why do I come here
Why do I look at these posts
Why do you guys do this to me
Why ask why

Get in my belly
:)

Cheers all

Stop by sometime Jon, I'll cook for you :wink:

Santa Maria style TriTip and roasted veggies

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 8, 2020 10:31 PM

Made some dough and had pizza tonight.

Hamo I love a good homemade pizza!

My son and his wife went to Singapore last month. They came over for dinner and to show us pictures so I made some Singapore Food. Laksa Curry Soup, Chicken Satay, White Rice, Stir Fried Veggies, and Singapore Ice Cream Sandwiches.

H

Nice one Mike, what is different about the ice cream sandwich?

T

They are not as sweet I would guess.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 2, 2020 7:43 PM

Were Singapore Slings too obvious...?

On 2020-03-02 19:43, Hamo wrote:
Were Singapore Slings too obvious...?

I couldn't find any Cherry Heering :(

Indian food last night - Korma Curry, Turmeric Potatoes, Cauliflower, and Peas, Green Salad

St Patrick's Day, Guinness Stew, Irish Soda Bread, and Bailey's Cheesecake

Last night Oyster Mushrooms in Parmesan Cheese Sauce over Farfalle , Salad, and Garlic Bread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies