Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

C

"due to the inappropriate use of utensils in the consumption of Cajun Food..."

Cajun is Chinese spelled inside-out!

Actually, seeing as most Cajuns eat with their fingers and drink out of a broken jug, chopsticks are a giant leap forward!

And - Contest Schmontest, what's fer DINNER!!??!?!

TT

Tonight we had Sherriyaki's self proclaimed West Coast white girl Cajun food; breaded sole with sweet potato, black eyed peas, greens and potatoes.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 25, 2010 9:32 PM

YUM.

Looking Good! can't go wrong with good ole Southern cuisine.
Sorry I am not cooking tonight, so you guys are holding down the fort.
glad to see more people posting meals!

:lol: Better tell Cammo to keep his Chopsticks off that fish! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-25 21:42 ]

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

No dinners for me for a while, too much traveling and work. Looks like Cammo and Tom are taking up the slack for me, thanks guys :)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Feb 26, 2010 8:17 PM

I made a cake and everybody ate it so fast I forgot to take pictures. Sorry. It was really yummy.

It's been a bit of a week.

Hi Guys, Yea I had work late,so I am not cooking tonight also.
I do have some pork tenderloins marinating for Char Siu BBQ Pork in honor of MadDogMike's FrankenPork Mug
So tomorrow is Asian food! will post then.

Bye-dy Bye til then Wastelander's, you can find me on the roads in my V8 Intercepter, looking for the NightRider!

A

Can't hardly wait to see that pork!!

I had a can of kippers for dinner. Then much later I made a quesadilla with TJoe's corn tortilla,
PEPPER JACK, fresh tomato slices, sea salt, chopped black olives and Mrs. Renfro's salsa.
It was dang tasty! On occasion I've made all the parts from scratch, but tonite was Look in the Fridge
and concoct. We call that Snack Mastery around here, and if a particularly satisfying dish results, that
person has earned the temporary title of "Snax Masterson".

Did I already tell you that?

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-02-27 01:01 ]

Amy, LOL All Hail the Pepperjack!

ATP, that Char Siu BBQ Pork sounds good - is that the red dyed pork they serve in Chinese Restaurants with the star anise flavor?

Amy, at first read through I thought you put the kippers in the quesadilla :lol: That would be interesting!

A

My ex-husband is the Original CA Quesadilla King. He taught me to appreciate all sorts of ridiculous things on a tortilla
with PEPPERJACK and salsa....I DID consider the kippers, to be honest. :lol: :lol:

MDM,
I don't use that red dye #6 recipe that you get at alot of Chinese restaurants
I will give you my own version,

I use a quality brand Char Sui BBQ sauce (Plum BBQ Sauce) from my local Asian Market, 4 to 5 Tablespoons
3 cloves fine chopped fresh Garlic
3 Teaspoons fresh chopped Ginger
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
Cracked Pepper & Kosher salt to taste
Sesame seeds to add at cooking time

2 to 4 Pork Tenderloins (or more if your feeding alot of people, adjust marinade for larger amounts of meat)

add all ingredients in a Tupperware or glass container with a lid
Stir well & add Pork, be sure to coat the meat fully
Cover the dish & place in the refrigerator 24 to 48 hours (you have to plan this dish a day or two in advance)

Cooking Day- preheat oven to 350 degrees sprinkle some Sesame seeds on the Pork Tenderloins
Place the Pork on a wire rack sitting on an oven pan, you may want to place aluminium foil on the bottom of the pan for easy cleanup.
Cook for 40 to 45 minutes ( depends on your oven)

Remove Tenderloins from oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes, Slice thin and serve with your favorite Asian or Island side dish

I use this on my Coconut Rice, Vietnamese Pho, Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwiches, Fried Rice & most Chinese dishes I make.

I will post the results later.

A

Definitely archiving this recipe, thanks ATP!

"Dinner and a Movie" night at the Atomic Tiki Lounge and Theater
Hey maybe that can be a recurring theme here?

Dinner: Char Siu Chinese Barbecued Pork & Mandarin Fried Rice with "FrankenPork" (BBQ Pork) and Jasmine Tea
in honor of MadDogMike's new mug!

Movie: Norwegian Horror movie "Dead Snow" its got Nazi Zombies, Hitlers Gold, young norwegian's as Zombie food
Mrs. Tiki Punk likes horror films! I like foreign films, hey best of both worlds!

CJ

On 2010-02-28 00:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
"Dinner and a Movie" night at the Atomic Tiki Lounge and Theater
Hey maybe that can be a recurring theme here?

Dinner: Char Siu Chinese Barbecued Pork & Mandarin Fried Rice with "FrankenPork" (BBQ Pork) and Jasmine Tea
in honor of MadDogMike's new mug!

Movie: Norwegian Horror movie "Dead Snow" its got Nazi Zombies, Hitlers Gold, young norwegian's as Zombie food
Mrs. Tiki Punk likes horror films! I like foreign films, hey best of both worlds!

Good job on both the food and movie

On 2010-02-27 10:51, amybean wrote:
My ex-husband is the Original CA Quesadilla King. He taught me to appreciate all sorts of ridiculous things on a tortilla
with PEPPERJACK and salsa....I DID consider the kippers, to be honest. :lol: :lol:

Does that make you the former Quesadilla Queen of California!!! all hail the Queen & Pepperjack!

Char Siu Chinese Barbecued Pork in honor of MadDogMike's new mug!

:D Thanks ATM. That looks sooooooo good, I'm gonna have to try it.

In honor of today's live broadcast of Olympics Mens Hockey:

Mmmmm, rice crispy treats made with toasted coconut marshmallows (and dark chocolate)

So what do you guys think of the "Dinner & a Movie" theme?

It could work like this, Post a meal with pictures & watch a movie & post a little discription of the movie or a mini review?
No time frame or other requirements, just a little change of pace to make things more interesting?

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Feb 28, 2010 8:01 PM

Just do a link to the movie's IMDb page, your own review, shoot some pics and give us the quick & simple recipes. No rules, if it's a cheesy quickly turned out movie, cook appropriately;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0565564/

If it's a dignified art house classic, we expect home grown herbs, candles and seasonal wine;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040725/

I'm in, but lets all do it on the same night (a weekend?) . . .

[ Edited by: Cammo 2010-02-28 20:02 ]

Hmmm, I watch about 3 movies a year. We canceled NetFlix 'cuz we'd have same movie for weeks and never get it watched :lol:

I may have to post dinner and the movie we would have watched :D

A

Yup- same here- not so regular on the movie watching...but I could surely cobble something together!

I would lead with this combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdkP6U4WjY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On 2010-02-28 19:07, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So what do you guys think of the "Dinner & a Movie" theme?

It could work like this, Post a meal with pictures & watch a movie & post a little discription of the movie or a mini review?
No time frame or other requirements, just a little change of pace to make things more interesting?

I think just whoever want's to try it out, see how they like the format,Weekends are perfect that's when I am able to get my wife to sit down and watch a movie, for the non-movie watchers out there you still might like to see how the TCers combine the two sujects, The Movie & the Meal does not have to have anything in common if you don't care to.

Also any other suggestions to kick it up a notch would be cool
on a side note: I really like the Mr Tikis wild ride idea you came up with MadDogMike!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-28 22:23 ]

Chili Dogs that looks good ATP! wait I am ATP!!!

No posts from us tonight we just ate the leftover BBQ Pork in a nice bowl of Pho for dinner, I already posted that meal before.

Today we hit over 10,000 views on the "Dinner" thread, so I guess people are checking us out?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-01 01:34 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-01 01:35 ]

ATP I really enjoy your thread.You are one heck of a cook.The problem is every time
I view this thread I usually have not eat yet , looking at your great dishes I sit
there and salivate over the good eats.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2010 4:45 PM

Cooked up a scratch-made Boston Chocolate Cream Pie cake yesterday for the Olympic closer (did anybody think the closing ceremony was about 363582 times funnier and more enjoyable that the crummy opening ceremonies???)

No decorations, just FLAVOR.

I do 1/2 a Vanilla Chiffon cake, with chocolate pastry cream in the center.

Thick chocolate ganache on the top, and whipped cream.

Everybody has 2 pieces. It's gone.

Lookin Good Cammo, so what's for desert tonight? you don't mean there is still any cake left!

Mmmm...chocolate ganache and whipped cream

OK, dinner and a movie:

Spaghetti & Meatballs. The sauce is from a jar but I went an extra step on the meatballs to make up for it - I filled the centers with Mozzarella cheeze :D

I would recommend a good Spaghetti Western to go with it.

mmm Boston Cream Pie... still mad at Marie Callender's for no longer making BCP....

"If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
-Catherine Aird

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-03-01 18:05 ]

Hi Haole'akamai,

Marie Callenders! Does anyone else think their pies have gone down hill in the last few years?
I used to get a custom order pie (Coconut Custard Pie) when I do big Cajun dinners for the family, the last time I ordered it
They just took a Custard pie & sprinkled shredded coconut on top, I have not ordered one since, only homemade now.

I have some friends out of New Orleans that would string them up for such an offense!

(For those who do not have "Marie Callenders" in there state or country, it is a restaurant that specializes in Pies)

I agree. haven't gotten a MC pie for more than 5 years. It's just that BCP is pretty extensive, if you make it with the cake and custard and all...

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2010 7:25 PM

ATP - I want your coconut custard pie recipe! Custard pies are tricky, I used to make a key lime pie that was basically a custard pie with tons of lime added. It was great.

Funny you folks bring up Marie Callenders's, cause the local ones have all gone out of business. Now that I think about it, my cake/pie production has stepped up 3000% since that happened. We don't know why they closed doors, maybe it was cause of the quality issue, but MAN they were always busy!

Dinner and a Movie #2

Gonna be out of town overnight and then work a few 12 hours shifts, so I made 2 dinners tonight so my son doesn't starve to death and we have leftovers when we get back :)

Chili with Hash Browns and Cheese

And HERE is my recommended movie to go with it :D

In case you need a recipe for an easy and GOOD chili, try this
3 cans of assorted beans (I use black, ranch, and white kidney), undrained
1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 lb of browned ground beef
1 package of dry taco seasoning
1 package of dry Ranch dressing

Dump it in a crockpot and let it get happy for a few hours and serve.

I tried something new tonight - I drained the chili and put it in a oven-safe dish, dumped a layer of frozen shredded hash browns on top, drizzled a little olive oil on it, and put it in the oven. I was surprised that it took an hour at 350 to brown the hash browns. Then I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on it.

Now that's lowbrow cooking MDM! not a bad thing! lets see....

Sometimes I just scramble some eggs with what ever is in the icebox, but it must have cheese, Tamale Pie that's lowbrow cooking? right!
My wife loves Chili Mac so I make it for her, but I always make the chili from scratch, I can not stomach canned chili.

As a kid who's dad was in the service, we ate S.O.S., Spam burgers and such, but I do not miss that food at all.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-02 01:41 ]

No comments on my lowbrow movie choices? :lol:

Sorry MDM, food first right? Skillful choices indeed, spaghetti and a spaghetti western, classic! you beat me to it
I was going to do Spaghetti and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Now what to make for Dinner & "Soylent Green" and no I am not making People!

:lol:

On 2010-03-01 18:28, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hi Haole'akamai,

Marie Callenders! Does anyone else think their pies have gone down hill in the last few years?  

I used to get a custom order pie (Coconut Custard Pie) when I do big Cajun dinners for the family, the last time I ordered it
They just took a Custard pie & sprinkled shredded coconut on top, I have not ordered one since, only homemade now.

I have some friends out of New Orleans that would string them up for such an offense!

(For those who do not have "Marie Callenders" in there state or country, it is a restaurant that specializes in Pies)

Try Polly pies next time ATP .

Cammo, Here is my basic & fast recipe:

COCONUT CUSTARD PIE

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 stick butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (real not artificial)
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut (Dried works fine)
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (store bought deepdish pie shell if your in a hurry) or make it from scratch if you have the time.

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, blend together the sugar, flour and nutmeg.
Add the butter, eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix well. Stir in the coconut.
Pour into the pie shell and bake for 30 minutes or until firm.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-02 01:42 ]

Late night Nachos...w/Pepperjack & Chedder cheese......Lowbrow!

Dinner: Croque-monsieur with mixed greens salad

Movie: Casablanca, need I say more......

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine"
"Round up the usual suspects"

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-02 21:45 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-02 22:52 ]

A

Wow you guys are really organized!

We had a salad- romaine with chunks of tomato and blue cheese,
carnitas tacos and plain yogurt w/fresh mango for dessert.

Movie: District B-13

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-03-02 22:37 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies