Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Topped with Bacon!

where's the Sausage?

Jeff(btd)

Now that would of put it over the Top, Jeff
right now it has the perfect balance of fat & butter! potato's & meat.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-29 23:50 ]

A sort of Perfect Breakfast Storm!

I disagree,
ham, sausage, and bacon together is great.
because they are all pork, but different tastes, and textures.

just add some fresh fruit to counter balance.
yes I do eat fruit, sometimes.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

or you could go down the dark path and replace the sour dough bread,
with biscuits and gravy.

drool...........................

Jeff(btd)

Jeff I thought you drink all your fruit,nudge,nudge!

most of it.
:wink:

Settle down now, I am still recovering from that Cheese Stuffed Cheese Burger!

CJ

Mike-Can you please share your rib recipe? I have both a electric and charcoal smoker and love messing around with em.

Joe I don't do anything fancy. I give them a good dry rub from the store (it was Smokey Sweet something with chipotle and cinnamon), smoke them for about 4 hours adding a fresh batch of wet chips every hour. 15 or 2o minutes before the end I slather them wth lots of BBQ sause and let it glaze a little. Too long and the sugar makes it burn. I like the Smokin' Joe Jones Spicy sauce, avail at Costco. Then grab some paper towls and chow down :D

Where's Tom & Sheri been?

On 2010-07-30 05:38, MadDogMike wrote:
Joe I don't do anything fancy. I give them a good dry rub from the store (it was Smokey Sweet something with chipotle and cinnamon), smoke them for about 4 hours adding a fresh batch of wet chips every hour. 15 or 2o minutes before the end I slather them wth lots of BBQ sause and let it glaze a little. Too long and the sugar makes it burn. I like the Smokin' Joe Jones Spicy sauce, avail at Costco. Then grab some paper towls and chow down :D

Costco has this mesquite rub that is as good as anything I have done from scratch,I use it mixed with some brown sugar.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-30 17:43 ]

Hey we have over 35 thousand views, not to shabby!
maybe it's time for a contest!

..........Just kidding!........

Cheese & Crackers!!!

Nothin' fancy here, just some low fat comfort food; meatloaf (with extra lean ground beef), steamed sugar peas with Bacon Salt, and mashed potatoes (chicken broth - no butter, milk, or cream)

Speaking of food, I went out today to check on my Medjool date tree and the green dates are HUGE! This is one that fell off while I was putting pillow cases around the dates (to keep the birds out), this isn't even one of the big ones. They are the size of a small plum.

A

Bacon Salt, you say...hmmmm

Lean mashers sound really good. I don't always want something so buttery, either.
I'm cooking a weird kitchen sink curry at the moment.

A

It was tasty but totally un-photogenic. Carrots. celery. chick peas. tomatoes. in a homebrew curry coconut sauce over some thin rice noodles.

Made pasta, but you can just look at previous post for Pasta Pics,so I got nothing....

I got a pic :D

Pulled Pork Sandwiches (very lean smoked pork loin), low fat Oven Fries, & Jicama Salad

Now your Talking! Pork + Anything, Rocks!
Nice MDM!

More pulled pork, different format - Pulled Pork Calzone with PEPPERJACK CHEESE

TT

It's been a while since we've posted, so here goes...
Sherriyaki made a salad of sorts with soba noodles, trout, edamame, garbanzos, Mandarin oranges, cilantro, black & white sesame seeds with a citrus sesame dressing. It was awesome!

Tom! be missing you & Sherriyaki around here.....

Spaghetti & home baked Sourdough Bread

Unfortunately I let my sourdough started die a couple of years ago. This was a Krusteaz Classic Sourdough mix. Not great but OK, "sourness" was only mild and could have used a pinch of salt. Probably would have been better to buy a loaf of real sourdough and re-heat it in the oven.

A

To make up for all this healthy eating we've been up to, we procured a pizza stone and whipped up a:

half sauteed Shitake and button mushrooms, half pesto w/black olives.
Home made tomato sauce + Trader Joe's pizza dough in a bag = win.

Everyone's doing Italian, I didn't get the memo!

We are just grilling up German Bratwurst tonight,we get it from this great German Market called "TipTop Deli" in Oceanside.
don't know if its picture worthy,though?

TT

Amybean, the pizza looks awesome! Only made some hummus to snack on with pita chips tonight...not to worthy of a photo. Should have somethin' good for tomorrow though...

CJ

Pastrami Spare Ribs: cured for 3 days and then smoked for 6 hours..Tasted like death. Had to throw in the trash

A

So sad, Coco Joe! Try again?

A moment of silence for Joe's deap piggies...

SO much time involves (and considerable cost) - ehat went wrong?

Mike

CJ

I think I left it in the cure 2 days too long and this old electric smoker I've been trying out kinda blows. Gotta stick with my non-electric smoker. This was my first time curing and I think I should probably stick with the basic before I start trying weird things

CocoJoe did you use pork ribs? You brined it?
RIP spareribs,we hardly knew ye.....

CJ

On 2010-08-08 23:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
CocoJoe did you use pork ribs? You brined it?
RIP spareribs,we hardly knew ye.....

Yeah it was pork...my good friend sent me this to have fun with

W

Sorry about the ribs Joe :(

I made grilled chicken stuffed with artichoke hearts,feta and basil. Garden tomatoes with more feta and balsamic.

Chris

Chris that looks awesome! As soon as my wife gets off this temporary low fat diet we're gonna give that one a shot!!!

W

On 2010-08-09 07:40, MadDogMike wrote:
Chris that looks awesome! As soon as my wife gets off this temporary low fat diet we're gonna give that one a shot!!!

Thanks Mike, it was pretty good. I'm craving some of amybeans pizza at the moment!

Chris

A

It was so good that we're gonna make another tonight. Cutting the dough portion in half will allow for a thinner crust heh. There isn't any great pizza in Alameda, so we are on a bit of a mission. Practice makes perfect, right?

Seems like I can buy already pickled corned beef cheaper than I can buy plain beef. Corned beef is dirt cheap, especially in March.

W

On 2010-08-09 08:39, amybean wrote:
It was so good that we're gonna make another tonight. Cutting the dough portion in half will allow for a thinner crust heh. There isn't any great pizza in Alameda, so we are on a bit of a mission. Practice makes perfect, right?

Looked perfect to me already!

Chris

WestADad,That Chicken looks very tasty and gotta love the Balsamic to!

W

On 2010-08-09 12:54, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
WestADad,That Chicken looks very tasty and gotta love the Balsamic to!

Thanks ATP! I do loves me some fresh tomatoes.

Chris

Since everyone else is making Italian food this week,I will just jump on the back of the train...

Spaghetti with Mushroom & Garlic Alfredo Sauce & Applewood Smoked Bacon

I made Kraken Mai Tai's last night, posted the recipe in the Kraken thread.....

TT

Tonight...green olive rosemary toasties (not homemade, but home toasted), canned sardines, sweet onions, fresh oven roasted garlic, Frisée lettuce, and Grey Goose & Bombay Sapphire Martinis with garlic stuffed olives.

We watched last nights episode of this...

W

Geez, all the Italian is really having an effect on me....

I'm trying to figure a way to smoke some italian sausage and then make some lasagna. Not sure which
wood species would make the sausage pop but not overpower the lasagna.

What do you all think?

Chris

I smoke Italian sausages all the time,It takes only a couple of hours in a smoker
taste really good on a roll with peppers & onions.

If you use it in a dish,just thin slice the sausages as they do have a smokey flavor that could over power some dishes.

smoke + pork = pure bliss

I say run with the smoked sausage in your lasagne. All that "over powering" nonsense is just lies spread by those who don't like smoke flavor :D

I say! my good man! we upper crusty's do indeed love the smoked meats,Indubitably!
So I say to you GOOD DAY! Sir!

I said GOOD DAY!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies