Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

A

It's been on and off torrential rains...quiet at the moment...

and now a word from wunderground awesome weather reporting

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1416

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-01-21 10:12 ]

Looks good ATP. I bought an Archer Farms Chicken Tikka Masala boxed dinner from Target a while back. Came with Basmati Rice, Manjo Chutney, Curried Potatoes, and Masala sauce - you add the chicken.

I thought it was pretty good, but I've never tasted authentic Chicken Tikka Masala so I have no point of reference

I keep taking pictures of what I've been making, to post here, but they turn out looking horrible (as in, "Are ya really gonna eat that?!"). I guess it would be cheating just to write about what we're making, huh?

edited to change grammatical tense

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-01-21 14:50 ]

Hi MadDogMike,
Do you have any Indian Restaurants where you live? since you like spicy dishes I think you would like Indian food.
But those store bought Frozen, boxed foods etc. are nowhere close to real Indian food, even those Trader Joe frozen plates are sub standard.
It really needs to be fresh prepared.

A

Ah, yes, the taking of good pictures...either they come out crappy or you forget to snap or whatever... it aint easy!

I've been resisting the urge to undermine the present tense-ness of the thread as I read it in the title. Let's ask the original thread monger: past meals included? My sense is you are wondering about the most recent dinner "made", but I could be wrong.

I have many nice shots of meals in the past (better camera) and haven't been cooking as much as I'd like, or cooking the same things (yes, making another pot, as I type, of medicinal grade chicken soup) over and over.

What say you, ATP?

Nope, no Indian restaurants within 100 miles. But, I have something better :) I work with a gal from India, she brings me lunch from time to time and I love it! This week it was curried goat with okra and potatoes - yummy!

As you wish, Amy, I say go for it as things have been a bit slow on the thread as of late, but could you guys label it as past meals, or such.

MadDog, it sounds like you are getting the real stuff there, glad to hear it.

Question for you all? if you had a Restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?
It has been a few years since I worked at any Restaurants, but my love of ethnic dishes would be high on the list.
But my European background would also be a factor.
Then again,comfort food & BBQ rock! I guess I just love food!

Welcome Haole'akamai,
Pictures are a big help considering the subject, but I think I need a new camera also,
doing the best with an older digital camera that I can. but I don't like how they come out much of the time, I have even not posted a few times due to the crappy pictures.

But Haole'akamai, I say go for it, you can only get better as time goes along.

A

Game on!

A few NJ high school friends I hadn't heard from in 35 years came to CA last January for a little catching up. We grilled bacon wrapped scallops over wood chunks outdoors, and drank a lot of wine while we waited. They were giant scallops, and so rich that we could only eat 1 or 2 each. That meant LOTS of leftovers. Heaven. No seasonings- just scallops and bacon.

That's my favorite way to make scallops, Amy.
You must be getting great quality seafood up north!

A

Me too! Have learned to not add any seasonings.

We get amazing seafood, but it's not cheap.
That amount of scallops cost a most memorable $75!

APT, if I were to open a restaurant "exotic ethnic" would be high on my list but in the end I would probably go for Southern/Cajun/Creole. It's a wide variety but seems like the Gulf states have some awesome food. Texas, Louisiana & Mississippi - now those people know how to COOK. Throw in Alabama & Florida just for the heck of it.

Ahem...of course my first choice would be a Polynesian Restaurant with real Tiki decor and AUTHENTIC Tiki drinks :)

MadDogMike,
Ethnic & Comfort food on one menu, nice!
I wonder if a Tiki restaurant with a non-traditional menu would go over well?

A

I might include the Cherpumple!
http://www.charlesphoenix.com/category/test-kitchen/

check out this exhibit:
http://www.charlesphoenix.com/2010/01/coconut-heads-on-pegboard-florida-1960/

I've been doing a little catch up tiki reading. It's my belief that one of the factors that contributed to the decline of tiki culture was the fact that the food in all the tiki lounges/restaurants notoriously sucked. The drinks were expensive, and the food was basically overpriced, poorly made Chinese food. The whole scene was exotic and exciting, but people didn't really have expectations about what the food should be like. Now it's part of the retro authenticity and accepted as standard practice. The buffet at the Tonga Room in SF is still horrible. The food at Trader Vics in Emeryville is inedible. The snacks at Forbidden Island are actually decent versions of greasy, fried offerings, but still maintaining that tradition. I think it's time to un-perpetuate that bad food tradition. If you were living in a tropical paradise it would be absurd to have bad food.

Who wants to help revamp a traditional menu with modern, amazing, healthy versions of tropical delights? Loads of fresh fruit, of course. The toasted coconut cake from that other thread.

I'm thinking about what to put on a puu puu platter. Anyone?

:drink:

Did someone say pupu platter?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

AWWWW YEAHHHHHH!!!!

I agree with you Amy on the quality of food served then & now.
Pupu suggestions below....

Coconut Shrimp
Egg-rolls
Pot Stickers
Thai Chicken Sticks
Curry Bites/shrimp/chicken/beef?
Gyoza
Bao/Asian Meat buns
Teriyaki chicken
Edamame
cool pad thai salad
Char Su Pork

Jerked Chicken Sticks
Pineapple salad
Fresh fruit
Sushi

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-22 01:27 ]

Late to post tonight due to STORMWATCH 2010!

So I give you.....
Spaghetti Arrabiata with grilled Sausages

The photo angle is unfortunate, So now begins the phallic jokes.....Now Back to STORMWATCH 2010!

On 2010-01-21 18:58, amybean wrote:

Who wants to help revamp a traditional menu with modern, amazing, healthy versions of tropical delights? Loads of fresh fruit, of course. The toasted coconut cake from that other thread.

I'm thinking about what to put on a puu puu platter. Anyone?

:drink:

My liberal use of Butter may disqualify me from advising on "Healthy" suggestions...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-22 01:24 ]

Bengal Barbecue Banyan Beef Skewers (from Disneyland Adventureland)
The bacon wrapped scallops would be good on a pupu platter
Spicy Orange Chicken
I never tasted any I liked but how about tofu?
Tropical S'mores :)

ATP, that would be just plain wang, I mean WRONG to make phallic jokes about your food!

A

Butter- of course, no margarine. Canned lychees and mandarins are fine in my book, too. Tropical s'mores sound perfect for breakfast on this rainy Friday.

Sausage Arrabiata!! "Assertive" camera angle.

Coconut shrimp- always a winner. Great list!

On 2010-01-22 06:29, MadDogMike wrote:
Bengal Barbecue Banyan Beef Skewers (from Disneyland Adventureland)

That's a mouth full.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Is that Spaghetti Arrabiata with grilled Sausages in your pocket?

That's a mouth full.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

It was a good mouthful :)

I've been meaning to make those Bengal Beef skewers so I did. The BBQ ran out of gas and the extra tank was out in the mud (rain, rain, go away) so I had to finish them on the stovetop :lol:

Tiki-Kate sent me the recipe several months ago. It's SPICY!!! :o

Bengal Barbecue Banyan Beef Skewers with Sauce

Yield 2 3/4 cups
Portion Size: 6

Soy Sauce 1 cup
Water 1 1/2 Cups
Ground Black Pepper 1 Tbsp.
Sesame Seed Oil 3 Tbsp.
Ground Red Pepper 1 tsp.
Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp.
Granulated Garlic 1 Tbsp.
Cornstarch 3 Tbsp.
Sirloin Beef Chunks 18 Pieces - 1 oz. each
Bamboo Skewers 6 each

Combine all of the ingredients above and bring to a boil,
adding cornstarch to thicken. Soak the bamboo skewers in
water to avoid burning. Place 3 pieces of beef on each skewer
and cook on the grill 3 minutes on each side or until
desired doneness. Brush with sauce and serve.

Is that Bengal Barbecue Banyan Beef Skewers in your pocket?
or are just happy to see me!

Looks Tasty MadDog.....

A

These pix are from a previous meal of the same thing: I just forgot to take pictures when I made it the other night.
It was so good, before I even thought about it, it was GONE!

I do love cast iron skillets.

Happy Sunday afternoon, everyone!

A

Sometimes ya need an extra hand. Sweetie B came home with visions of Ultimate Burger, so went off in pursuit to the market across the street (with awesome meat counter)

I made the kale, broccolini, string beans combo while he griddled our way to ULTIMATEness.
I added wasabi mayo above the tomaters.

Wow, you made a hamburger look healthy & still look like a burger! nice job there Amy.

Well I did not cook tonight, but I am brining a pork roast overnight, I am thinking about making Cuban Sandwiches tomorrow.

In the middle of making Cuban Sandwich's, Roast is in the oven, making Red potato salad now.
I will post pictures a little later.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-26 20:30 ]

A

Sounds ambitious! And delicious!!

Yummm... Cuban Sandwich and some nice fried plantains. Good lookin' burger Amy :)

A

heh heh we had another round again this eve! with mushrooms this time. All ingredients dialed to: WIN. Very satisfying.

Hi Everybody,

First up, I made a Pork Roast, Brined for 12 hours first....

slice up the roast into thin cuts, add Black Forest Ham, Swiss cheese, Deli-pickles, Mustard & I like to throw in some grilled onions
put it on a big Hawaiian Sweet bun, grill with a panini press & serve with red potato salad.

Cuban Sandwich

bon appetit

That is one hell of a good looking sandwich ATP .Thanks for inviting me over.

This thread always makes me HUNGRY

Todays it's Tasso, heavily spiced and smoked pork used as a seasoning meat in Cajun food. You put a thick dry rub of salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, paprika, and cinnamon (?!) on sliced pork and let it marinate several days. Then smoke it for several hours. I chop it up and put it in the freezer, then throw a handful in whenever I make Jambalaya. I'm allergic to shrimp :( so my Jambalaya usually includes chicken, sausage, and tasso. I've wanted to add some smoked oysters but I'm afraid it will scare my family off :lol:

EDIT - I did make some Alligator Jambalaya once - Tasty!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-01-27 19:13 ]

Love the Cajun food Maddog, I forgot to post pics of my Red Beans & Rice a couple of weeks ago,

You guys notice how we are working towards 3700 views on this tread, yet only about 10 of us seem to post?
What's up with that? anyone else out there cooking up meals?

Don't be afraid to post, people, we are a friendly group & we will not mock anyone's meals, after all look back a few pages at twitch's breakfast, not a single comment was made, I still do not know if that was a real meal & if twitch really ate it or not? I just don't know?

But good for twitch for posting, I think I can mention for Amy, Mike & myself that we just love to cook & share the results.

Also I think that good food is an essential part of the Tiki lifestyle!

I would like to thank Amy & Mike and all of you who post here,It sure looks like this is one of the more popular threads here on Tiki Central
I know it has been one free of the BS that other threads sow, lets keep it that way.

Bon Appetit to everyone!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-27 18:34 ]

ATP, congrats on the great thread :)

Tonight was a quick dinner; Grilled Chicken Breasts with Greek Seasoning, the large Israeli or Pearl Couscous, and some sort of frozen veggie medley. I like the big couscous so much better than the regular sand-like stuff.

Amy, see how much more food that seems to be on a small plate :D

:lol: :lol: LOL Mike, & Thanks :lol: :lol:

Thanks for bringing up Middle Eastern food, I forgot about making some of those great dishes!

A

No kidding, the big ones stay on the fork better instead of waterfalling everywhere!

I'm coming down with the sore throat that everyone and their office has, or had recently.

To the rescue: eggplant from that recent giant pan, hanging out in the freezer!!

PS- reheated eggplant is a little chewy. (and yes, I took it out of the container) :P

Who ARE all these people lurking in the "Make" thread??? Show us your dishes!!!

Here's what I made last night. I present to you:

Lemon-dill Quorn cutlets in carmelized onions w/ steamed broccoli and wild rice pilaf!

I had to go educate myself on "Quorm - the other white mold" Very interesting. I am a meat person myself, but I'm not opposed to trying new things. Your presentation looks delicious and I read good reviews on the flavor & texture of Quorm. I may have to see if I can find some. How is the price and can you BBQ it? :)

Quorm is new to me, now I am learning new things.
Which brings up an interesting topic, Vegetarian cooking

Many years ago, I mean many! I was a vegetarian for 2 years, the problem was that 99% of the
vegetarian cuisine I had was the most bland & unimaginative food I have ever ate,don't even get me started on what was actually healthy for you.

I never understood why most vegetarian's did not use the abundance of spices & fresh herbs available to them, After all,I grow my own.

But I do have to mention I have had some excellent food at some of the vegetarian restaurant's in
San Francisco, which seem to have embraced my idea's on flavor.

I will let the tribe weigh in on this subject for now?

I ain't gonna lie, it's a mycoprotein (an edible fungus). If you can wrap your head around eating mushrooms (which are a also a kind of edible funghi, although different), then you can intellectually come to terms with Quorn.

As far as a meat alternative, the texture is so darn close that meat-eating pals were pleasantly surprised and some veg pals have been freaked out when I've made dishes with it.

The "Meatballs", though good, aren't like regular meatballs, and the Roast does translate to a meat choice, either. The Cutlets and Tenders, on the other hand, are very much like a drier-style chicken breast and the Crumble is dead-ringer for crumbled ground beef/turkey.

As far as BBQ, I've marinated the cutlet and I think they turned out great. The biggest difference with real chicken, though, is that Quorn doesn't "tear" like chicken, so a meat eater will possibly be disappointed with the mouth-feel.

On the note of spices, Quorn will take flavors fabulously. Garlic, onion, thyme, dill, cinnamon, what have you.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-01-28 13:46 ]

Here's my 2 cents worth on vegetarian food - my ancestors didn't fight their way to the top of the foodchain for me to be a vegetarian :lol: I'm sure there are health benefits to a vegetarian diet, but I don't plan to live forever. Besides, I don't smoke, drink, or sleep around. I wear my seatbelt and don't talk on the cell phone while driving - I need at least one vice :D

Speaking of meat, I made Jambalaya today (sorry, no pic). Tasso, chicken, and Cajun Sausage - Whooeee! That'll put a boot in yer patoot!

Also worked on my Tropical S'mores. I wanted something "tropical" to replace the graham cracker. I decided on Ginger Snaps - I know you're thinking "That's not tropical!" But the predominant flavors of Ginger Snaps are ginger (tropical) and molasses, made from sugar cane (tropical). Then I added macadamias, dried pineapple, and banana chips. Will go with toasted coconut marshmallows and chocolate (both tropical) :)

Jambalaya is one of the great dishes Man! need Pics, Need Pics!
Like you Mike I prefer the chicken & sausage version, but I will take shrimp anyday also.

OK, here's a pic, not all that attractive in the pot.

Both the Jambalaya and the S'mores are for the San Diego January Chop. Jambalaya (along with Chili) improves with age in the fridge. I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow, I'll just heat it up Saturday and take it with me.

A

And please- some pix of the S'Mores! I'm so curious.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies