Name:Bora Bora
Type:bar
Street:Av.Almirante Reis 194 C
City:Lisbon
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
One of the purest and best examples of Clasic Iberic Hawaiian style.
Leave everything, go now.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 30, 2009 11:20 PM

Coaster from the location

I know that these two places, right next to each other (with the Tangaroa), must be amazing...or must have BEEN, I heard a rumor that they have been renovated to some extent !!? Arrrrgh, I need to know...Oh WHERE is the art patron that will sponsor me a photo expedition to these places...!? Why o why am I not financially independent! Well, somebody, GO !!!

I believe they were Lurker's first contact with Tiki (in the late 80s?), and his inspiration for all his work he has done for Euro-Tiki since.

Well, thank god for Google street view, the bars still look unchanged from the outside:

How often does Google street view get updated? What an amazing technology...

Older Bora Bora Lisbon coaster. Not hula girls yet.

Wow! That's stunning! Must go!

So, there are actually 2 Bora Boras - the other being on R Madelena?

Trader Woody

Hello, I'm from Lisbon. I go to these bars many times.
In Lisbon there are 2 Bora Bora's and 1 Tangaroa.

I can take "good" photos if you want!

:wink:

Cheers,
Marco

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2010 5:36 PM

Ole! and welcome Marco! Please DO take "good" pictures of the place! Gather stories too! Anything you can! Lusitania Tiki needs you! As the self-proclaimed ambassador of tiki in Mexico, I salute you! When I visited gorgeous Lisbon, my Portuguese was not good enough to talk to the barman... Hope to visit again soon!
P.S. Marco, did you had a Mexican girlfriend named Jimena who introduced you to tiki? If so, she's my friend!

On 2010-12-08 17:36, Zeta wrote:
Ole! and welcome Marco! Please DO take "good" pictures of the place! Gather stories too! Anything you can! Lusitania Tiki needs you! As the self-proclaimed ambassador of tiki in Mexico, I salute you! When I visited gorgeous Lisbon, my Portuguese was not good enough to talk to the barman... Hope to visit again soon!
P.S. Marco, did you had a Mexican girlfriend named Jimena who introduced you to tiki? If so, she's my friend!

Hello Zeta!Thank you! I will take some good pictures, I promise... both Bora Bora's and Tangaroa :wink:

I'm not and never been a Tiki expert, don't collect things.
I never had a Mexican girlfriend, I discovered Tiki culture by chance recently (in the internet), and I find it interesting!

The first time I went to Bora Bora bar in Lisbon was in 1996. And I like it immediately... the decoration, the mugs, the drinks, etc. Since then I go there regurly. Maybe its time to buy my frist mug to celebrate ;P

In 2007 I went to Madrid a few days, and I saw one Bora Bora Bar there when I was walking in the street. It was during the day and at that hour the bar was closed.

Cheers,
Marco

MH

Hi folks

Is the bora bora still open in Lisbon? Or anything else in Lisbon or Portugal ?

Mr. Ho

Ah, don't got there, it's totally BORAing! :wink:

The bar looks nothing…

...like the original rendering:

It's like they make their Tikis out of tile or sumptin - don't they have any wood !? :roll:

And their mugs are totally boring too:

Kinda run of the mill…

…and then they have this silly dry ice thing going...

…totally tacky, I mean c'mon! :D :

And right next door, they have the TANGAROA, an equally un-inspired joint:

it's like you've seen one, you've seen them all:

…again, Tile Tiki everywhere:

…and silly mosaic windows:

…some A-frame painting, kinda OK…

… so if you wanna have a good time, don't go there, naaah.

:D :D :D :wink:

Holy Cow! That palace does suck! hahah

H

Incredible!

Thanks for the pics Sven,
I'll be sure to never go.

Not that I'd probably ever get to Portugal anyways.

Jeff btd

Wow! Inspiring stuff for sure!

Thanks once again Sven!

Thanks - I was hoping that my irony would not be lost on the viewers :D

What is missing though is the acknowledgement that the original queerer Mr. Ho has seen this reply, which took some time and effort to put together.

It is this lack of communication confirmation which makes websites like this loose out to the more immediate social networks like Facebook

Holy cow. I'm gonna have to visit these places. Thanks for posting Sven.

Wow, I gotta go to Portugal now! Used to live in LA and frequented Tiki Ti and now in Gothenburg, Sweden. Got Kon-Tiki here, but man.. it ain't no Tiki Ti!

Heading to Lisbon next week, and will lead a group of intrepid explorers to Bora-Bora.

Any requests for photos of anything, mysteries to solve, etc?

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2016 2:31 AM

Hey Sven, Bigbrotiki the original render drawing that you posted here is an image I sent you privately for The book proyect we had. Why you post it and where is my credit? or The artist's?

I am sorry. I was just amazed and joyful about how much the actual bar resembled the rendering, and wanted to share that. And if you don't want me to show that, why would you want me to divulge the name of the original artist? That key figure is clearly your domain.

And I am very sad too to hear about the closing of the Madrid Bora Bora. The Lisbon Tangaroa had all its ceramic art removed when they sold it, only half a year I got to photograph it :(

J

As most of Iberian good-looking tiki-bars from seventies they all have very lousy cheap-tasting juicy drinks nowadays, but from all of them I guess the worst ones I got from Bora-Bora. Blackberry syrup offered as Dr. Funk and the out-of-menu no. 13 secret drink (on the photo in the green mug) that had to be strong... was... just strong, not good, something like little bit dissolved rum, no any balance nor anything. Great history, zero present.

Pages: 1 20 replies