Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Silents from the South Seas - Paramount Theatre (Seattle) March 15th, 22nd, & 29th

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hello fellow tikiphiles - it's Sailor Curt's other half, Melissa. It's been so long since I've posted on here, that I couldn't remember my old username for the life of me. (New Year's resolution #1: To become a more active Tiki Central member).

But I digress...

It looks like 2010 is already shaping up to be a great year for tiki. Just stumbled upon the listing for this March's silent movies at The Paramount and the theme is South Seas. Yep, that's right...three consecutive Mondays of silent films from the '20s and 30's and every single one of them with a South Seas plot.

The Paramount's silent movies fests are always a great time -- the theater is grand, the live Wurlitzer organ accompaniment is out of this world, and Trader Joe's provides free munchies.

Movies start at 7:00 pm; tickets aren't available just yet...but I definitely think we need to get a group together to attend.

Oh -- and here's the Schedule:

March 15, 2010 – LeGong: Dance of the Virgins (1935)
Director: Henri de la Falaise
Producer: Constance Bennett
Cast: Poetoe Aloes Goesti, Saplak Njoman
An original poster boasts this film to be true, shot entirely on-location in Bali with the use of an all-Balinese cast with native music and showing native customs. Known now as an “American exploitation film” the crew gained access to local villages and people willing to act in the film. This was also one of the last feature films to be shot using the two-strip Technicolor process.

March 22, 2010 – Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
Director, Writer: F.W. Murnau
Producer: David Flaherty
Cast: Anne Chevalier, Bill Brambridge
Matahi falls is love with the beautiful Reri whom was just chosen to be the new Holy Maid. Matahi and Reri escape the confines of their village, but are being pursued by the village Elders.

March 29, 2010 – Sadie Thompson (1928)
Director, Writer: Raoul Walsh
Producer: Gloria Swanson
Cast: Gloria Swanson, Lionel Barrymore
Sadie Thompson attempts to leave her wild ways behind by starting anew in Pago-Pago. But when an overzealous missionary finds out about Sadie Thompson’s past he tries to force her back to San Francisco.

And here's a link to the event: http://www.stgpresents.org/artists/?artist=1054

Let's start planning...

Happy New Year,
Pineapple Princess (Melissa)

W

Just under a month away but I figured I'd bump this to put it on Seattlite's radar...

AND I JUST NOTICED

That the series, according to the website, starts on March 8...

March 8, 2010 - LeGong: Dance of the Virgins

March 15, 2010 - Sadie Thompson

March 22, 2010 - Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

March 29, 2010 - "A collection of three short films from the Charlie Chaplin library selected by Trader Joe's customers (in-stores). Be sure to stop by a local Trader Joe's to vote."

(below the line)

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2010-02-17 09:44 ]

P

Count Robert and I in for the 8th's show of "Dance of the virgins"!
I can't wait for my Wurlitzer-gasm.
Do you think we can just show up, or do we need to buy tickets now?

I imagine that they probably sell tickets at the door...but I'm going to get mine in advance, just in case. Should we all meet up somewhere before the show? South Pacific silent movies are great, but Silent Movies with fellow tiki-philes sounds even better. How does pre-show Happy Hour at Dragonfish sound?

P

Dragonfish sound good to us!
Some time between 5:30 and 6:00?
We'll be the ones making an attempt at melding Tiki and Steampunk fashion!
"oh, the Humanity!"
I suggest we make a reservation under the name "wild".
I'm sure we will find a way to live up to the monniker befor the night's out!

Sounds great -- and I can't wait to see your outfits! :wink: I'll make a reservation this weekend. If you want to be included in the headcount, reply to this thread.

~Melissa

Pages: 1 5 replies