Pages: 1 2 57 replies

"She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly – perhaps she'll die!"

T

Yep, I remember that rhyme, but you might have omitted a line that comes just after "spider". "That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!" ?

Yes I did LOL I just thought it was appropriate for our attempts at "natural predators"

A chain of multiple compounding stupidities is about correct! They were brought to Australia from Hawaii with the intention to control the cane beetle in sugar cane fields in north Queensland. Only 102 cane toads were brought over to be bred, and 2,400 toads were released in 1935. The march of these highly invasive (and poisonous) pests seems to be unstoppable now. As I said above, the beetle and the toad rarely, (if ever) met. Whose damn idiotic idea was it? Here's the so-called "Toadzilla" recently found:

000_337F7YW

‘Toadzilla’ weighed in at 2.7kg (almost 6lbs) and could have set a new world record for size, Queensland ranger said.

TIKIGIKI rather similar to the mongooses (mongeese?) in Hawaii. The rats came on the European ships. If you put a mongoose in a cage with a rat, the mongoose will kill the rat. So they imported mongooses to control the rats. But the mongooses don't seek out rats to kill and their paths seldom cross. Now the mongooses are wiping out the native animals just like the rats are, they have 2 problem invasive species instead of 1.

T

I am reliably informed that the plural of mongoose is "mongooses". (Hey I liked "mongeese" better!) Is there any eradication programme happening? It was another short-sighted idea in the first place. Even if the mongooses HAD actually managed to eradicate the rats (nothing short of an A-bomb will ever destroy those evil little bastards!), what did they think the mongooses would then eat? They certainly wouldn't starve if there was other wildlife there to be consumed.

Sounds very similar to our problem with foxes. They kill everything. And if they ever manage to get into your hen enclosure they will not take just one but proceed to kill each and every hen in the one visit, just for sport. They devastate the endemic wildlife. And to think they were actually introduced by those red-coated, hound-chasin', horsey lovin', home-sick Pommies so they could tally-ho about the countryside like proper gits!

Mongooses, duly noted LOL

In defense of the yahoos who imported all of those invasive species, most of that was done long before we fully understood the ramifications of their actions. I have heard the term "presentism" use when we judge the actions of long ago by the standards of today

You do NOT have the be an Einstein to work out that long-term the mongooses would eat everything else even IF they had killed all the rats. It's called forward thinking.....and I'm sure humans were capable of doing that even then. Cane toads can't climb....at all! This was observable.

We grow it here in Peru, and let me tell you something i learn.

After going to the market, there was a guy selling 1 kilo for 2$ so I bought 2 kilos and ate 4 of them. That day I learn that they are a very good diuretic.

Also, one thing they do here is letting the juice ferment for a plesant drink

$2/kg!!!??? We pay $10/lb or $20/kg.
"Good diuretic" OK, lesson learned LOL Thanks

Pages: 1 2 57 replies