Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 548 replies

T

Sven, a very touching tribute. I never had the good fortune to meet or know Tiki-Kate, but she was clearly an exceptional lady, evident from the legacy of her Tiki Central posts and her lasting footprints on the hearts of the TC Ohana who knew her.

-Tom

M

Well done, Sven. Very well done, Sir. I am impressed and quite touched by your efforts. An exceedingly appropriate gesture for dear Kate.

"You're missed around here very much."

I will second that. Wish I didn't have to, though.

Sigh...

midnite

G

That was incredibly beautiful and moving, Sven. I know it takes a lot of time to assemble posts like that, but I'm very glad you took the time to share that with us. Not only do memories of Kate live on, but hopefully also the kind of passion and dedication she displayed in her life will live on in us as well.

Rob

Bora Boris,

Thanks for the Tiki Kate birthday reminder, that’s a great photo. I gave her a birthday toast with a Krakatoa at Trader Sam’s on Saturday. I know she would have loved this place with the combo of Tiki and Disneyland.

Sven,

Thanks also for taking the time to document and post Tiki Kate’s travels abroad, what a fitting tribute. I am sure she is looking down and smiling.

I miss her on TC and regret not having the chance to get to know her better.

DC

Thank you Sven God bless you both, Wendy

Picking up where Sven left off, I’ve taken Kate on some adventures around Los Angeles.

From the Redondo Beach Pier ~

to Santa Barbara.

Some Urban Archeology with Sven ~

Visiting some Tiki friends around town ~

The Bronson Moai.

The Royal Hawaiian Motel.

The Glenlani Tiki Apartments.

The Tonga Hut.

Trader Vic's Downtown.

Some dinner

and drinks ~

Tiki-Kate meets a Tiki Kapu at Tiki-Ti.

:wink:

P

wow, my Tiki Kate Number is way to low to merit taking her out, even if I could come up with a worthy venue.
1,000 quatloos to the first TC'er that has the honor of taking her to the first tiki bar in Orbit.
Yeah, that's right Elon, I'm calling you out.

Fan-tastic! That's the spirit, Boris, thank you.

Damn Boris, that has to be my favorite photo of Kate (and you too) Sorry I missed this. We have traveled with Kate recently and I will have to dig out our adventures with her too. She would probably scold me gently for not posting as much as I used to.

Happy Birthday Tiki-Kate!

I recently found this picture of Kate shopping at Oceanic Arts, one of her favorite things. :)

Happy Birthday, oh intrepid explorer Kate!

I think of you whenever I am on my porch where your carved mask inspired by one at the "Tiki" apartments in Redondo Beach hangs underneath the Witco Spanish Galleon.

H

Thinking of you Kate, we miss you on TC. Hard to believe it has been over three years already.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Kate in person. We traded e-mails and PMs on mugs and such. I enjoyed reading her posts. She was an inspiration and I got ideas from her. We had a lot of common interests. She visited my website and she had kind things to say and offered encouragement.

My van.

i finally read the last 2 years of this thread. sven and boris, i love what you've done with kate. she was lucky to have ohana like you. i think about kate often. she left her gold baby kahuna ( http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=384 ) to me when she died and any time i see it, it evokes smiles, tears, or both. one more time with one of my favorite photos i've ever taken. love ya, sistah!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2013-11-02 19:06 ]

Happy Birthday Kate! Miss you every day.

Has anyone else noticed that the Tiki Kate website the link is broken or the site is down? Can someone let Humuhumu know?

Hmm, I have the link in my sig, so I just clicked it and everything is in Chinese?!

It looks like a holding page for an expired domain (http://vivakate.org/)
it is on a Japanese Server & what is showing is a search engine page.
looks like Kate's site gone....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-03 21:29 ]

Here is the whosit info for the current Domain owners

Domain Name:VIVAKATE.ORG
Domain ID: D170593197-LROR
Creation Date: 2014-01-06T09:19:28Z
Updated Date: 2014-01-06T09:19:29Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2015-01-06T09:19:28Z
Sponsoring Registrar:GMO Internet, Inc. d/b/a Onamae.com (R43-LROR)
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 49
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: serverTransferProhibited
Registrant ID:14366D98125
Registrant Name:Whois Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Registrant Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Registrant Street: 2-7-21 Tenjin Chuo-ku
Registrant City:Fukuoka-shi
Registrant State/Province:Fukuoka
Registrant Postal Code:810-0001
Registrant Country:JP
Registrant Phone:+81.81927137999
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +81.81927137944
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email:[email protected]
Admin ID:14366D981EA
Admin Name:Whois Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Admin Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Admin Street: 2-7-21 Tenjin Chuo-ku
Admin City:Fukuoka-shi
Admin State/Province:Fukuoka
Admin Postal Code:810-0001
Admin Country:JP
Admin Phone:+81.81927137999
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +81.81927137944
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email:[email protected]
Tech ID:14366D982AE
Tech Name:Whois Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Tech Organization:Whois Privacy Protection Service by MuuMuuDomain
Tech Street: 2-7-21 Tenjin Chuo-ku
Tech City:Fukuoka-shi
Tech State/Province:Fukuoka
Tech Postal Code:810-0001
Tech Country:JP
Tech Phone:+81.81927137999
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +81.81927137944

T

That's really unfortunate. It looks like the domain didn't get renewed in time and someone else snagged it. They'll almost certainly want a pretty penny to release it again. :(

Assuming the web files are still living somewhere, you should be able to just point a different domain at it, such as Viva-Kate.com.

I gather Humuhumu isn't really part of the tiki scene anymore (she hasn't posted in over two years). Does she plan to let any other domains expire? Ooga-Mooga is set expire May if next year, and Critiki is set until 2017, although it hasn't worked in ages anyway. It's a shame to see them languish like that.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-02-03 21:02 ]

Humuhumu is still part of the scene, but just like many others she's moved on to Instagram and Facebook.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 548 replies