Name:Islander Motel
Type:motel
Street:4540 North Eldorado Street
City:Stockton
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Islander Motel was one of at least 4 Motels in the Islander Motel chain. This Motel is still there but it is now called Knights Inn Stockton.

T

Wow! More of Stockton's tiki past from one of the best urban archaeologists out there!

How did you find out about this one?

Any photos of this location, David?

Back in September I was at the library doing some research on Stockton Tiki. I decided I better check to see if Stockton had any Tiki Motels. I checked every phone book from 1955 to 1985. I came across a 1978 ad for the Islander Motel. This was the only Motel in Stockton with a Polynesian Pop type name I could find. This place was more 70's Island style than Tiki Modern style.

I visited the place back in Sept. and asked the new owners if they new any thing about the Islander and of course they never heard of it. They asked if they could make a copy of the phone book ad and I had a look around.

The place is clean and well maintained. It has a nice swimming pool but the place has been completely striped of all of its Tiki coolness if it ever had any. Its also not in the greatest location. At the time I was so disappointed that i didn't even take any pictures of it.

1978, Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Co. ad, Stockton

Here is a pic of an Islander Motel Matchbook. Its from the Alameda Location but also lists the Stockton location on the back.

Here is a pic of the Islander Post card. This one is from the San Leandro location but also lists the Stockton Location on the back. I'm assuming they all were similar in architecture and interior style.

Judging from the picture I would say that this postcard was made in 1972 or 1973.

Here is a pic of an Islander Motel ashtray from the Alameda location.

Here are some current images from the Stockton Knights Inn Motel website.

At least there is still a Palm tree there.

They still have the pool to, a bit sterile I think.

Hideous interior, how could they think this was an improvement?

I think that pool area looks very inviting --I mean where do you find a prison yard that has a POOL!

T

On 2010-01-18 20:17, abstractiki wrote:
Here is a pic of the Islander Post card. This one is from the San Leandro location but also lists the Stockton Location on the back. I'm assuming they all were similar in architecture and interior style.

Judging from the picture I would say that this postcard was made in 1972 or 1973.

I think it's sort of ironic that many new boutique hotels (even Motel 6) are going for that "modern" look lately. The Islander motel is still in Alameda, but I have not checked out the rooms to see if they still look that way (I bet they rent them by the hour :wink:).

Pages: 1 8 replies