Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

He's alive with personality. It's so true there's nothing like a zerostreet chimp. Wendy

Thanks Will! Wendy! Yeah Mike, Sculpey is tons of fun...Can't wait to do more!

Z

Zero~
Your simian friend is fantastic! This is unsurprising, as you never fail to amaze...
~Zero

On 2012-05-18 07:58, ZeroTiki wrote:
Zero~
Your simian friend is fantastic! This is unsurprising, as you never fail to amaze...
~Zero

Thanks Zero! Appreciate it!

Well, I still have a few busy months in front of me. I'm curating an all ape/monkey show for Harold Golen Gallery. More details on that soon. Been bouncing around on a few projects, one of which is this commissioned cigar box for one of our own TC members. More soon!

Moving slowly on this cigar box...more soon!

T

Robert, I like that cigar box!

I've gotten the Mai-Kai Mystery Girl print framed, with photos posted here. I'm really pleased with the result...

-Tom

On 2012-05-27 08:32, TikiTomD wrote:
Robert, I like that cigar box!

I've gotten the Mai-Kai Mystery Girl print framed, with photos posted here. I'm really pleased with the result...

-Tom

Thanks Tom! Checking it out now!

Here's:

SEVEN SUNS AND THE MOON
7 x 9.25 inches
Acrylic on Cigar Box

This is a commission for a fello TC'er! Hope he likes it!

"0-street"
Way Kool

Very nice Robert, imaginative title too.

Thanks Hang10 and Mike! Appreciate it!

W

That is cool Robert! I noticed you changed logo on the piece a bit, I like that also.

Hope you had a great weekend!

On 2012-05-29 06:25, WestADad wrote:
That is cool Robert! I noticed you changed logo on the piece a bit, I like that also.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Yes, after much deliberation I decided to switch my signature to RJ. The Tiki Oasis piece was the first to have the new signature. I regretted using the Z for some time. At one point I considered being called Zerostreet so I started signing with the Z. When I had my first showing at a gallery and the owner asked how to bill me I felt quite silly saying "Zerostreet"....so I didn't...and by then the signature was on several pieces.

This got boxed up today.

I know exactly what you mean about the name vs nickname thing - I'm not sure I want my pieces displayed in the Musée du Louvre as "MadDog Mike" :lol:

What I like about the new signature is that when my heirs go on the future version of "Antiques RoadShow" with their trove of Robert Jimenez heirlooms, they'll have something to talk about.

"Ahh," the art evaluator will say. "These were painted during Internationally Renowned Artist Robert Jimenez' 'ZeroStreet' period. Spectacular."

On 2012-05-29 17:06, Professor G wrote:
What I like about the new signature is that when my heirs go on the future version of "Antiques RoadShow" with their trove of Robert Jimenez heirlooms, they'll have something to talk about.

"Ahh," the art evaluator will say. "These were painted during Internationally Renowned Artist Robert Jimenez' 'ZeroStreet' period. Spectacular."

Ha! Let's hope so then, for your Heirs sake!

And, I don't know, Le Mad Dog sounds kinda cool! :D

or, Michel le Chien Fou.

French does add a touch of class and sophistication, no?

Frère des Ours

On 2012-05-30 00:04, Brudda Bear wrote:

or, Michel le Chien Fou.

French does add a touch of class and sophistication, no?

Frère des Ours

Always!

I have rarely ever posted any of my non-Tiki work here but I'm going to do so now because by association it is peripherally Tiki.

Below is one of the several ape/monkey pieces I will have in Harold Golen Gallery's SIMIAN SPECTACLE show in July. Many of you know Harold from his Hukilau art shows. Harold asked me to curate this show and although it is not a Tiki art show, it will have our very own Doug Horne, Sam Gambino and Anthony Carpenter in it. As well as Eddy Crosby, John Mulder and LuRu of Tortuga Tile Works among others. If you're in South Florida July 14th it's a show not to miss!

ORSON
5x7 Acrylic on Gessobord

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-05-31 18:06 ]

Did you get special training in simian fur or are you self-taught? You are the master of well-coiffed apes (although it's hard to tell on the fez-wearers).

On 2012-05-31 18:25, Professor G wrote:
Did you get special training in simian fur or are you self-taught? You are the master of well-coiffed apes (although it's hard to tell on the fez-wearers).

Well Greg, when an ape decides to lead the civilized life, it won't do to have matted, lice-ridden hair....and thanks for the compliment!

W

Hey! Look what showed up at my house Friday, what a great way to start my weekend. Haven't found a permanent home for "Seven Suns and the Moon" yet, but here's a peak at one corner of my sanctuary.

Thank you Robert, I am honored you did this for me. I can't wield a crayon!

On 2012-06-03 07:00, WestADad wrote:
Hey! Look what showed up at my house Friday, what a great way to start my weekend. Haven't found a permanent home for "Seven Suns and the Moon" yet, but here's a peak at one corner of my sanctuary.

Thank you Robert, I am honored you did this for me. I can't wield a crayon!

Thank you Chris! I'm honored you asked!

Nice little glimpse into the inner sanctum! Looks great!

That's a beautiful piece of art in a great setting. Congratulations to both of you.

Orson? As in Orson Wells :lol: The gorilla looks great and now Chris has a bitchin' place to hide his cigars from his wife and young son.

W

Thanks guys!

Mike, my kid would just fill it with Lego's!

Hello All!

Been absent for a bit as I prepare for a few shows (and have been battling severe pain from a cracked tooth that has to come out next week!).

I am in the very early stages of my painting for Elroy Artspace's Hapi Tiki show. I should post some progress on that soon. Also, had the idea for a Fisherman God pendant or sculpt of some sort (also would love to do this as a mug) I finished the sculpt today and it seems too big for a pendant....if I can make decent casts of it I will have them available mounted and hand painted...

Here's a pic, pre-firing!

W

Sorry about the tooth Robert, hope that goes well.

Sculpt is very cool, I'm interested!

On 2012-06-16 17:24, WestADad wrote:
Sorry about the tooth Robert, hope that goes well.

Sculpt is very cool, I'm interested!

Thanks Chris! I was all doped up and ready for a root canal when the Doctor found the crack in my tooth...So now the oral surgeon has to finish the job on Tuesday! Never thought I'd say I was really looking forward to seeing the Dentist!

Here's the backed final sculpt plus a color mock-up:

Surf Music makes my Tiki happy! New painting in progress for Elroy Artspace's "What Makes Your TIKI Hapi?" Show. More soon!

Both new projects look great, Robert. The cracked tooth the kind of nasty little distraction that always strikes when you're really busy. I hope that improves soon.

I'm no expert but I've been to a Tiki event or two and I know there's no such thing as "too big" when it comes to a pendant. There's always some Flava Flav of the tiki world that will be wanting to wear it :D

The pendant and the painting are looking good Robert. Take care of those teeth, my son once interviewed a meth user as a school project. He said he lost a lot of friends and possesions using drugs but of all the things he lost he missed his teeth the most! :lol:

Thanks Mike and Greg! I actually visit the dentist every 4 months, this issue may have come from grinding (insert joke here) :D

Worked on a Moai sculpt today. Here's the instagram pic:

Robert you are so good at sculpting and at painting. Both projects look terrific. There just are not enough hours in the day to do all we want to do it there? I sure enjoy seeing a part of one of your paintings come to life in your hands working clay. Wonderful, Wendy

On 2012-06-17 17:50, danlovestikis wrote:
Robert you are so good at sculpting and at painting. Both projects look terrific. There just are not enough hours in the day to do all we want to do it there? I sure enjoy seeing a part of one of your paintings come to life in your hands working clay. Wonderful, Wendy

Thanks Wendy, appreciate your kinds words!! You're right about not enough hours! Wish we could do something about that! :)

Had my tooth pulled today! Pain is pretty bad but not even the shadow of what I went through last week.

Made a few changes to the Hapi Tiki piece! Still lots to go!

P

very cool stuff!

On 2012-06-20 08:33, pjc5150 wrote:
very cool stuff!

Thanks!

to big?
no way, that would be 1 sweet ars pendant...

Robert,
Save the tooth??
Can you ad it to your next sculpture ??
I'd be way cool.

On 2012-06-21 05:13, Will carve wrote:
Robert,
Save the tooth??
Can you ad it to your next sculpture ??
I'd be way cool.

Ha! No...have no clue where those things end up!

Here are some pics of my first casts. I used Dry Stone which is kinda of like a plaster. Very nice casts and paint beautifully! Not sure how drilling a hole will work. I will be making pendants of the Moai. The Tangaroa I plan on mounting on a cigar box or wood. Just finished painting him now!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-06-22 18:25 ]

Also....building a small army of Moai.

Here's the finished Moai. These are 1x3 inches, cast by myself in Dry Stone from my sculpt and then hand painted. They weigh 2.5 ounces. I'll be working on these over the next few weeks. Message me for more info.

W

Very cool!

On 2012-06-23 14:35, WestADad wrote:
Very cool!

Thanks Chris!

Here is my Fisherman God wall hanging in progress. Gotta distress it and mount the sculpt.

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-06-23 16:08 ]

Been working on this all weekend! Gonna post up ordering info over at the marketplace now.

AWESOME!

T

Beautiful work, Robert, on both the Fisherman God and Moai!

I'd love to have a slightly larger version of that Fisherman God sculpt as a freestanding ornament to sit on a shelf...

-Tom

Thanks Tikilizard and Tom! Actually Tom I have plans to (eventually) make a Fisherman God mug, bascially the same design as the sculpt in this thread. Hope to announce plans before the year is out.

Moving along on TIKI IN REVERB. More soon!

Off to set up at the Florida SuperCon. Anyone attending please come by and say hi! I'll be in the Arist Alley.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies