Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

Thanks Mike!

Fun stuff Robert!!

Of course I love the monkey's :)

On 2011-01-12 17:04, Swamp Fire wrote:

Fun stuff Robert!!

Of course I love the monkey's :)

Thanks Doug! You know I bow to all your primates!

Speaking of Primates....here's a quick lunchroom sketch. Mixing my love of drawing chimps with my love of guitars! Especially big hollow bodies...I think I may paint this after the cigar box.

Rock on!!! :D

Rock on I must!

Can't wait to see this one done!

On 2011-01-14 08:33, little lost tiki wrote:
Can't wait to see this one done!

Thanks Ken! Almost there....

"TIKILANDIA FLOOW SHOW" Acrylic on 17x7 inch cigar box lid. Excuse the soft photo. I have to reassemble the cigar box and I will take better pics!

Here's a look at the final cigar box. I'll have this one and at least one other for sale at Hukilau!

Awesome! I can't tell if the heat I feel is coming from the fire or from the wahini :o

On 2011-01-16 16:07, MadDogMike wrote:
Awesome! I can't tell if the heat I feel is coming from the fire or from the wahini :o

I'd like to think it's from the Wahine!

Started another chimp painting (the one pictured a few posts above)! Having a lot of fun with this one! Here are my steps so far:

Adding more detail!

Working the stage a bit now...the guitar will be a challenge I think!

Red velvet fez and matching jacket - this chimp in the KING of STYLE!!!

Thanks Mike! And thanks for giving my thread a pulse! :wink:

"Dusty's Gig" is nearing completion!

Nearing completion on "Dusty's Gig"!

DUSTY'S GIG
Acrylic on 9x12 inch Canvas Paper.

Tiki Tower
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-01-28 04:15 ]

W

Fantastic, Robert!!

On 2011-01-28 05:33, WestADad wrote:
Fantastic, Robert!!

Thanks Chris! I'm enjoying the chimps!

Jumping right into the next one....this is an 18x18 piece of ply. I had sketched out an idea that I loved for this piece and I seem to have misplaced the sketch! So I'm going by my memory of it...we'll see how it goes!

Dusty looks great Robert! The blue wash in the final really makes it POP!

Looking forward to your next.

Thanks Mike! I'm very excited about this new painting! Excuse the poor pics!

This one is titled "The Sentinel"

always love a monkey in a fez -great painting !

OOH! the Sentinel!
What is he guarding?
SOMETHING in the water?
you've been nailing the atmospheres lately!
creating that perfect world for these crazy guys!
:)

i just started doing a few pieces on black grounds
Any helpful hints for us who dare to venture there?

i like how you can fade the light into the darkness
it leaves a velvety bleed that is so yummy!
Toe turned me onto black gesso
but black rattlecan also had a cool surface
very smooth...
I've found that it takes the bright colors and hues down their saturation a lil bit...
almost classing up the colors from garish brights to more muted and classy tones!

You have got the fever lately..one after the next!
go boy go!

Thanks art from the Jungle room!

On 2011-01-31 17:12, little lost tiki wrote:
OOH! the Sentinel!
What is he guarding?
SOMETHING in the water?
you've been nailing the atmospheres lately!
creating that perfect world for these crazy guys!

i just started doing a few pieces on black grounds
Any helpful hints for us who dare to venture there?

i like how you can fade the light into the darkness
it leaves a velvety bleed that is so yummy!
Toe turned me onto black gesso
but black rattlecan also had a cool surface
very smooth...
I've found that it takes the bright colors and hues down their saturation a lil bit...
almost classing up the colors from garish brights to more muted and classy tones!

You have got the fever lately..one after the next!
go boy go!

Thanks Ken! Don't quite know what The Sentinel is guarding but it has something to do with the idea I have (my most ambitious I think!) of a whole sub text for my "Tiki Tower Island" world. Several pages back in this thread I posted a sketch of a map of the island. This is where all my Tiki paintings (with the exception of my Mai Kai painting) take place. I am hoping to one day find the time to do some sort of animation of the island showing the various locales I've painted and give the whole thing some sort of lore. So what the Sentinel is guard has not quite been thought up yet! :)

As to painting on black, I just look over Robb Hamel's thread over and over again for inspiration and education! Really that thread is what inspired me to try a faux black velvet thing. The benefit of working this way is when you mess up you paint more black over it! And you are right about blending the light into the dark. It is so cool an effect! And lots of fun too!

Robb will be pleased to have inspired yet another artist!
That boy is on FIRE!

is that black gesso or just black acrylic paint as a base you're using?
I found the results with black rattlecan or black gesso to work a lot better
the rattlecan lays down smoother than the acrylic and still doesn't soak up the colors-they just lay on top...FLAT!
but the black gesso soaks the paint up a bit in the most delicious way!

Anyways...gotta get back to work!
Can't wait to see the animation someday!

On 2011-01-31 18:05, little lost tiki wrote:
Robb will be pleased to have inspired yet another artist!
That boy is on FIRE!

is that black gesso or just black acrylic paint as a base you're using?
I found the results with black rattlecan or black gesso to work a lot better
the rattlecan lays down smoother than the acrylic and still doesn't soak up the colors-they just lay on top...FLAT!
but the black gesso soaks the paint up a bit in the most delicious way!

Anyways...gotta get back to work!
Can't wait to see the animation someday!

I've been using black acrylic. I feel it worked better on canvas than on the wood I am now using! Gotta go buy some black gesso!

Oh and as to Robb, I messaged him personally when I completed THE GREETER (pic below) I was very happy with this painting and felt a lot of gratitude toward Robb and his work!

Starting to block in the Tiki...more soon!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jan 31, 2011 6:56 PM

Damn, zero! great atmosphere on the latest so far...very nice! G

I think it's a platform to sacrifice poodles and small children to Moe :lol:

Looks great Robert!

Thanks Greg! Where you been?

And thanks Mike! But there will be no sacrifices made on Tiki Tower Island! :)

After a brief pause for an impressionistic Super Hero painting (which can be seen at http://www.zerostreet.com ) I'm back on The Sentinel!

W

Really liking this new work Robert! All my favorite tiki elements are in it.

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-02-03 11:31 ]

On 2011-02-03 11:31, WestADad wrote:
Really liking this new work Robert! All my favorite tiki elements are in it.

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-02-03 11:31 ]

Thanks Chris! I'm enjoying working on it! I imagine one of your favorite elements are the float lights? I am currently trying to make my own for to use as decor at the Hukilau in my Tiki Tower tent! MadDogMike gave me some pointers and links to help me along....I may post pics soon!

W

On 2011-02-03 17:53, zerostreet wrote:
I imagine one of your favorite elements are the float lights?

Yep! I love the lights, but the whole piece just talks to me. Good luck with your project lights, MDM always gives
great tips. If I had a sixteenth of the talent you two have I might just make something worth showing on TC.

I'll be watching for your next "Sentinel" update!

Thanks Chris! Here's the latest, I'm having a hard time photographing this well in the low light of my studio.

M
mp posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2011 12:45 AM

Zero, I love your new painting. I love the darkness.
If I may add a little comment, maybe try to keep some of the rawness/darkness
of your first pic alive. In my opinion you have already nailed it. Great work!

RH

I'm extra digging The Sentinel. There's a weighty quality to the hut, nice perspective on it, and the whole setting is something I've never seen - always a big plus!

The weighty feeling the hut has is what really intrigues me, it gives the whole thing more "thereness", one of the keys goals of most artists, realists or not. I think that's what pulls people in when they see it, part of their brains registers the object as real.

Thanks MP, I certainly agree with what you're saying and in the coming days will be making the Tiki more "high contrast" by adding in more darkness. When working from black I tend to go back and forth adding light and darkness.

Robb, thanks so much for the comment! I am especially happy with the hut. Perspective is not my strongest skill, I sometimes get a bit lazy checking it, but this look right to me moment I sketched it! Got lucky I guess! :) And as I've said before, your work has directly inspired these faux black velvet styled paintings!

Working on stickers for some upcoming shows...the ones you see below will be freebies.

I think Cosmo is my favorite 'cuz he is most like me - smooth, suave, and sofistikated :lol:

ZEROSTREET CHIMP TRADING CARDS!!!!!

W

On 2011-02-07 20:23, MadDogMike wrote:
ZEROSTREET CHIMP TRADING CARDS!!!!!

Oh yeah! I'd be all over some cards of the boys!

Thanks guys! A trading card set would be very cool!

Actually I just received a 6 card set that I printed to sell next month at a local arts show and then at Hukilau in June. It's a set of 6 5x7 inch postcards (see pic below). I'll be selling them for $10 a set at the shows...if any TC'ers would like a set I'll ship them out (within the US) for the same price. Just send me a PM. These and other items probably won't appear in my online store till after Hukilau.

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-02-08 17:57 ]

Taking a little break from The Sentinel to work on this quickie...almost done. Steps will be on my website soon!

I couldn't help but smile with that guy. He must like his job. Soothing colors just a joy to behold, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies