Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

Thanks so much Wendy! He's probably on his way to his Tiki Mug scultpting job! :)

Where ARE the personal jet packs they promised us 50 years ago?!

Nice Robert :D

On 2011-02-11 11:49, MadDogMike wrote:
Where ARE the personal jet packs they promised us 50 years ago?!

Nice Robert :D

I think they stayed in the 50's!

Just got Lester back from the frame shop...along with my painting PROFESSOR'S GOT A CRUSH which will be at Harold Golen's Miami Modern show in a few weeks.

I think Lester looks all the more handsome in this frame!

Back to work on The Sentinel. Starting to work on the inside of the hut! The lowlight pic doesn't show much of it tho'. I will try to take an outdoor shot of it tomorrow.

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-02-12 20:06 ]

Progress is slow on this one. Been busy with many things, not the least of which is preparing for a few shows including Hukilau.

I added an embedded skull and inadvertently created a humanoid-ish figure on the Tiki. Thought that was kinda cool so I am gonna run with it!

More soon!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-02-18 20:19 ]

Cleaning up very nice Rob. I love to see how the painting progress.

On 2011-02-19 08:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Cleaning up very nice Rob. I love to see how the painting progress.

Thanks Mike! I'm really enjoying this one but it's moving slooooowww...

Working in more greenery.

The light glows so bright it feels real. Great thatch too. Wendy

On 2011-02-21 18:56, danlovestikis wrote:
The light glows so bright it feels real. Great thatch too. Wendy

Thanks Wendy! I'm definitely trying to achieve some sort of surreal realism!

Here's a detail of the hut and Tiki. Photo is not really capturing the feel of it for me though....

Been really working the fine wood grains...so it's creeping along! That and I'm busy preparing for a few shows, one of which is Hukilau! Very happy with how this one is coming along!

Robert, it's coming along great! They say the devil is in the details.

On 2011-03-05 08:07, MadDogMike wrote:
Robert, it's coming along great! They say the devil is in the details.

Thanks Mike!

For those in the South Florida area, I will be at the Arts In The Pines fest this weekend. It runs 10am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday (the 12th and 13th) If you drop by look for the Tiki Tower tent!

I have really enjoyed watching this come together. I want to practice until I can do light and shadows like you. The plants look so real. You inspire me. Wendy

On 2011-03-08 22:15, danlovestikis wrote:
I have really enjoyed watching this come together. I want to practice until I can do light and shadows like you. The plants look so real. You inspire me. Wendy

Thanks so much Wendy!

Almost done with The Sentinel! Trying to fine tune the Tiki and all the detail stuff! I'll be painting this one at the Pines Arts Fest this weekend in Pembroke Pines. If you are in the area drop by and say hi!

The thatch looks great, can't wait to see it all finished.

I'm with MDM, the thatch is outstanding!

Thank all! That's my favorite part of the painting!

Packed away The Sentinel to take to an Art Show I'll be at this weekend. Really felt like painting so I got out a cigar box and got to it! Some kind patron bought both of my previous cigar boxes, and I really wanted to have some for Hukilau so I gotta get busy!

This one is influenced by the great work of Robb Hamel!

Here are the pics so far!

Almost makes me want to take up cigar smoking! :lol:

On 2011-03-11 19:15, MadDogMike wrote:
Almost makes me want to take up cigar smoking! :lol:

Ha! Do it!

I'm really loving this one....need a little break from The Sentinel!

you're nailing that velvety goodness on that cigar box,pal!

Good idea to grab a new piece and not get stuck in the monotony of woodgrains...
i had the same dilema with bubbles this week...
Always good to step away and use that energy elsewhere...
re-vitalizing!

BOTH are looking great,ZT!

On 2011-03-14 11:11, little lost tiki wrote:
you're nailing that velvety goodness on that cigar box,pal!

Good idea to grab a new piece and not get stuck in the monotony of woodgrains...
i had the same dilema with bubbles this week...
Always good to step away and use that energy elsewhere...
re-vitalizing!

BOTH are looking great,ZT!

Thanks Ken! You nailed it too! That wood grain work was burning me out. I hope to be ready to jump back on that when I am done with the cigar box.

On 2011-03-10 20:24, zerostreet wrote:
Almost done with The Sentinel! Trying to fine tune the Tiki and all the detail stuff! I'll be painting this one at the Pines Arts Fest this weekend in Pembroke Pines. If you are in the area drop by and say hi!

LOVE IT!
You are really getting into the light reflecting off of real looking textures! The Best part of painting tikis!
Out standing piece. LIGHTING IS SOO ON! And, you are smartly framing your tikis with island foliage. ?It's the way all the big selling artists out here do it. DAMN U R REALLY GETTING GOOD!
... and (geek-fan-question) "The Sentinel" is one of my favorite Judas Priest Songs, did you listen to it over and over while painting?

LOVE IT!
You are really getting into the light reflecting off of real looking textures! The Best part of painting tikis!
Out standing piece. LIGHTING IS SOO ON! And, you are smartly framing your tikis with island foliage. ?It's the way all the big selling artists out here do it. DAMN U R REALLY GETTING GOOD!
... and (geek-fan-question) "The Sentinel" is one of my favorite Judas Priest Songs, did you listen to it over and over while painting?

Thanks so much for the kind words Brad! I try very hard, especially so on this piece, to concentrate on the light and how it affects everything around it. And I know you are probably tired of hearing this from me, but I so appreciate your encouragment a year or so ago to do the painting thing! It was those words and the encouragement of 2 painter friends that got me to try and I'm so happy I did!

As to Judas Priest, I haven't really listened to them in many years. I was into the hard rock and metal quite sometime ago but my musical tastes have mellowed over the years. About the heaviest thing I listen to now is Wilco! And I tend to be listening to some podcast or other while I paint!

Thanks again!

Robert

No worries, I love spreading the aloha to other atist who inspire me!
I have spread out in my music tastes too as I've gotteen older. I still keep some old hevy metal and techno but now it's mmixed in with a lot of exotica and rock a billy.
RAWK ON!

On 2011-03-15 19:41, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
No worries, I love spreading the aloha to other atist who inspire me!
I have spread out in my music tastes too as I've gotteen older. I still keep some old hevy metal and techno but now it's mmixed in with a lot of exotica and rock a billy.
RAWK ON!

Cool! I also like the Surf quite a bit!...and you certainly have spread the aloha!

Here is MOONLIGHT OFFERING

10x7 Acrylic on cigar box

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 9:20 AM

The Sentinel is coming along just fine!

Moonlight Offering has that moody midnight moon-glow I just can't get enough of.

Thumbs up from a fan and admirer of your art. Always.

Thanks for posting!

On 2011-03-16 09:20, TikiG wrote:
The Sentinel is coming along just fine!

Moonlight Offering has that moody midnight moon-glow I just can't get enough of.

Thumbs up from a fan and admirer of your art. Always.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you Greg! Appreciate the words!

Made a trailer for my Tiki Tower site. You can see it on Youtube by clicking on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AygeqH2_Xkw

Music is University Blvd. by Los Straitjackets.

Almost done with The Sentinel! Just have to work the torches and the mountains a bit more. This pic was taken outside so it is a bit more true to the colors.

Oh, in case you missed it, in the post above is a link to a trailer I made for Tiki Tower. Check it out if you can!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-03-20 11:41 ]

Starting a new cigar box painting as I finish up The Sentinel.

"Uncle Max's Self-Portrait"

It's all good Robert; love the greenery on The Sentinel, the trailer is great - nice to see all the boys together, and Max is one handsome devil!

On 2011-03-20 21:19, MadDogMike wrote:
It's all good Robert; love the greenery on The Sentinel, the trailer is great - nice to see all the boys together, and Max is one handsome devil!

Thanks Mike! I like the family tree I've got going!

Finished up Uncle Max's Self-Portrait.
Acrylic on 7.5 x 7 inch cigar box

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2011-03-22 04:24 ]

Your series is just screaming for a fem fatale!

On 2011-03-22 08:44, AlohaStation wrote:

Tom's got a point - "Sexier than a chimpanzee in rubber pants"

On 2011-03-22 08:44, AlohaStation wrote:

Had a very similar thought this morning Tom!....I'm not guaranteeing rubber pants tho'!

I like the idea of a pissed off female Gorilla - dressed ina house coat with curlers in the hair and carrying a rolling pin! That may be the reason why all we see is a protrait of "Uncle Max"!

On 2011-03-22 11:04, AlohaStation wrote:
I like the idea of a pissed off female Gorilla - dressed ina house coat with curlers in the hair and carrying a rolling pin! That may be the reason why all we see is a protrait of "Uncle Max"!

From the looks of Max I don't think he'd take too much of that!

The Sentinel should be completed soon, but I needed a break from it and thought I'd paint a ukulele!

Worked the ukulele a bit more tonight...

Finished this, as yet untitled, ukulele painting. Now back to The Sentinel.....I think!

If only it sounds as sweet as it looks! Nice job Robert

Thanks Mike!

"The Sentinel" is done!
17.75 x 17.75 inches Acrylic on wood

Next up is a piece for a Tiki Group show in Portland and a pulp-ish Tiki painting!

W

My favorite piece of your work Robert.

Fantastic!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies