Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Zerostreet's Tiki Art!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2,156 replies

Possibly he's trying to find his wandering boatload of chimp amigos?

On 2012-03-01 18:25, Professor G wrote:
Possibly he's trying to find his wandering boatload of chimp amigos?

Possibly! Hmmmm...and maybe what the chimps were hauling is what he is squatting on....

For those of you that follow my work over at http://www.zerostreet.com, I'm happy to announce that Storenvy.com will be featuring my Mr. Brown print for 6 days on their homepage. To celebrate (and capitalize on that :D) I'm offering a 20% discount on all prints and postcards! Just visit this link http://zerostreet.storenvy.com/

And if there is a Tiki Tower print you don't see over at the Zerostreet store that you may be interested in just let me know and I'll move it over!

On to the painting! Made some good progress tonight!

Tarzan is looking FIERCE!!!

On 2012-03-02 20:19, MadDogMike wrote:
Tarzan is looking FIERCE!!!

Thanks Mike!

Worked a bit tonight. I may keep this one more on the impressionistic side!

T

Interesting, Robert... this Tarzan is truly an elemental jungle man, cunning savage in his expression. It would be hard to imagine him traveling to Baltimore, then Wisconsin seeking Jane. In fact, he'd be well-advised to send the chimps as intermediaries in that role, as they are far more refined and tame by comparison!

-Tom

On 2012-03-04 05:23, TikiTomD wrote:
Interesting, Robert... this Tarzan is truly an elemental jungle man, cunning savage in his expression. It would be hard to imagine him traveling to Baltimore, then Wisconsin seeking Jane. In fact, he'd be well-advised to send the chimps as intermediaries in that role, as they are far more refined and tame by comparison!

-Tom

Thanks Tom! You've summed up what I feel about Tarzan and the painting. Even though the Tarzan books can be quite gruesome and violent, he is often described as handsome, regal even (due to his bloodline) But I can't help but picture him as quite the savage....my next update will show even more of a shift in that direction!

Also, a friendly reminder! Tiki Tower will be at Arts in The Pines (Pembroke Pines) this Saturday March 10th & Sunday March 11th, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm! Any of you South Floridians, come on by and say hi!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-05 16:27 ]

Changes...more to come!

Had a fun 2 days at Art In The Pines! Lots of people went home with some Tiki Tower art, including Moonlight Tiki. This was one of my earlier pieces, a rare scratch board illustration with painted frame. Was kinda sad to see it go!

I've updated the original works I have left, you can check them out at the link below!

http://tikitower.com/original-art/

Tarzan update soon!

I'm glad I'm looking at Tarzan in the morning rather than before sleeping with dreams! Love him, Wendy

On 2012-03-12 08:36, danlovestikis wrote:
I'm glad I'm looking at Tarzan in the morning rather than before sleeping with dreams! Love him, Wendy

Ha! Thanks Wendy! Here's the latest:

You've been working on it all Robert - Tarzan, tiki, jungle. Looks good.

H

I like.

Thanks Mike and hiltiki!

There may be a slow down in my progress on this one. A while ago I was accepted into a show, that will open in San Diego then move to Salt Lake City, the theme being the 7 Deadly Sins. This is in late May, and I intended to start on the painting after Hukilau but sometimes The Muse has other plans...so I started it a few days ago. Once I can show it, it will be over at Zerostreet.com!

Any chance you'll be coming out to SD for the show?

On 2012-03-15 15:57, MadDogMike wrote:
Any chance you'll be coming out to SD for the show?

No, unfortunately I won't be there. It will actually just open for one night there and then move to some location in SLC. I'll post more details soon. When I do make it out that way it will most likely be for a Tiki event!

Another of my chimps has found a new home! Koshi is heading off to Australia!

Seriously gonna miss him!

Koshi is a great chimp and deserves a great home. Now that you've conquered Australia, when I show your art to people, I will use the phrase, "Internationally renowned artist, Robert Jimenez."

On 2012-03-16 12:53, Professor G wrote:
Koshi is a great chimp and deserves a great home. Now that you've conquered Australia, when I show your art to people, I will use the phrase, "Internationally renowned artist, Robert Jimenez."

Thanks Greg! And feel free to use that phrase often! :D

Went back and did some "antiquing" to this piece which will be at Harold Golen's Tiki Art show for Hukilau.

FERAL FIESTA IN THE ATOMIC AGE
12.25 x 12.25 Acrylic on Art Paper

Nice Robert! The record and sleeve are painted too? Very realistic!

On 2012-03-17 11:50, MadDogMike wrote:
Nice Robert! The record and sleeve are painted too? Very realistic!

Thanks Mike! But no....actually that is an actual record, and sleeve. What I did was I designed the album cover and did all the type and background colors in Illustrator and Photoshop. Then I printed it on acid free, cotton art paper. I then painted all the characters, float etc. Then vintaged it up and pasted it onto an actual LP using gel medium. I plan on having it framed sort of like this, with the lp sticking out a bit.

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-17 14:54 ]

In between all the other stuff I knocked out this little 4x4.

MARQUESAN AFLAME
Acrylic on wood

I thought it might be a real record but I had no doubt that you could paint one an make it look real too. Nice miniMarq.

On 2012-03-18 18:08, MadDogMike wrote:
I thought it might be a real record but I had no doubt that you could paint one an make it look real too. Nice miniMarq.

Thank you Mike!

Here's another:

The Sweet Talker
4.75 x 4.75
Acrylic on Wood

I love both the new plaques (and the one you did for Tiki Tom D, too*). "Sweet Talker" is hilarious just because we've all run into (or been) that guy.

*And let's not forget the little Moai of yours that I have.

On 2012-03-18 20:16, Professor G wrote:
I love both the new plaques (and the one you did for Tiki Tom D, too*). "Sweet Talker" is hilarious just because we've all run into (or been) that guy.

*And let's not forget the little Moai of yours that I have.

Thanks Greg!....I have NOT been that guy! :D

I like working in this style and may attempt a few more before Hukilau.

Here's the latest progress. Starting in on the Tiki! I am really loving the marriage of Tiki and Pulp....hope to do many more of these!

Swing on a vine and land on a tiki, now that's the life...

"Thanks Greg!....I have NOT been that guy!"

I have TRIED, but unsuccessfully :lol:

I see that studying the shirtless picture of me you requested has paid off :D The loss of the yellow in the background makes the colors look more vivid. You're really playing around with this one ~ change of pose, change of hairstyle ... Looks great.

Hi Robert, looks like you should be able to ace the Tiki Oasis 12 painting. You've just got to meet the 5 x5 or the 12 by 12 inch requirement. I checked with Baby Doe and she said only one painting per artist. They have a lack of space this year. I can't wait to see what you do for the show, Spy with Tiki. I can't think of an artist who is more ready than you. Great work once again, Wendy

On 2012-03-19 19:34, hang10tiki wrote:
Swing on a vine and land on a tiki, now that's the life...

Yeah...if you can deal with all that humidity! :D

Mike and Wendy! Thanks as always for visiting and commenting! And thanks to Wendy's support and helpfulness I've got myself a spot in this year's Tiki Oasis art show! Unfortunately I probably won't be there in person...but some of my blood, sweat and acrylic will be!

On 2012-03-20 13:54, zerostreet wrote:
And thanks to Wendy's support and helpfulness I've got myself a spot in this year's Tiki Oasis art show!

WHOOHOO!

On 2012-03-20 13:54, zerostreet wrote:
Unfortunately I probably won't be there in person...

BOOHOO!

Cheer up Mike! :)

Here's the idea I'm loving and probably going to go with for the MISSION: TO12 art show. It all came from a sketch I had previously been doing on an obscure pulp hero The Crimson Mask. I think this would make a great painting for this fun mix of Tiki and Noir/Pulp!

Robert I absolutely knew this exhibit was made for you. That's a action packed picture. I can feel him moving and being good in his work...just like you.

Our package with the Mystery Girl arrived today. We were shocked to see it printed on canvas and simply thrilled. It's beyond terrific. We will frame it tomorrow and when I have a photo I'll post it here.

Your mug is in the kiln along with every other mug and bowl I had left to do. It will open on Saturday and hopefully I'll begin to contact everyone.

Thank you so much, Wendy and Dan

H

Any update on Tarzan, I am kind of liking it a lot...

Rob, I love the 2nd/3rd pose ~ great action shot!

On 2012-03-22 17:59, danlovestikis wrote:
Robert I absolutely knew this exhibit was made for you. That's a action packed picture. I can feel him moving and being good in his work...just like you.

Our package with the Mystery Girl arrived today. We were shocked to see it printed on canvas and simply thrilled. It's beyond terrific. We will frame it tomorrow and when I have a photo I'll post it here.

Your mug is in the kiln along with every other mug and bowl I had left to do. It will open on Saturday and hopefully I'll begin to contact everyone.

Thank you so much, Wendy and Dan

Thanks so much Wendy! I was so hoping to be in this show and thanks to you it happened! Can't wait to start the painting but I have so much to prepare for Hukilau!

So glad you and Dan liked the print! Can't wait to see it framed!

Here's the latest on the as yet untitled Tarzan painting.

On 2012-03-22 18:18, hiltiki wrote:
Any update on Tarzan, I am kind of liking it a lot...

Fast enough for you! :D

By the way hiltiki, don't know if you are on facebook, if you are look up Tiki Tower and follow along. Basically the same info I post here, but the pics looks much better.

Thanks Mike! The first I will probably paint as well somewhere down the line....I'm really into the Pulp stuff lately!

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-22 18:25 ]

W

Cool Robert! Love them Gunslinger types. For me it invokes Roland Deschain of Gilead on some Tiki Quest in a new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King.

Looking forward to your progress on this one!

[ Edited by: WestADad 2012-03-22 18:43 ]

On 2012-03-22 18:42, WestADad wrote:

Cool Robert! Love them Gunslinger types. For me it invokes Roland Deschain of Gilead on some Tiki Quest in a new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King.

Looking forward to your progress on this one!

Thanks Chris! I read the first two in the Dark Tower series a few years ago. Great books! I've been chain reading since my early teens so I always am in the middle of something and haven't gone back to that series but hope to some day!

I always enjoy the unspoken narratives in your work. Half of the fun of your stuff is making up the stories to accompany the art; the other half is looking at it.

On 2012-03-23 06:38, Professor G wrote:
I always enjoy the unspoken narratives in your work. Half of the fun of your stuff is making up the stories to accompany the art; the other half is looking at it.

Thanks Greg! I've always said I feel as if a narrative is trying to force it's way into (and out of) my work....so I appreciate those words!

Here's a pic of my Feral Fiesta Album cover framed. This will be a part of Harold Golen Gallery's Tiki Art show next month opening at Hukilau then running throughout the month.

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-23 16:57 ]

Hi Robert, you are so welcome. I enjoy your art so much.
We didn't get the Mystery Girl framed today. I forgot that
there is a white area around a print. We don't want to cut
that off so we will get a frame as soon as another 50% off
coupon comes out. Once it is framed I'll post it here. We
love it. Wendy

On 2012-03-23 19:03, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Robert, you are so welcome. I enjoy your art so much.
We didn't get the Mystery Girl framed today. I forgot that
there is a white area around a print. We don't want to cut
that off so we will get a frame as soon as another 50% off
coupon comes out. Once it is framed I'll post it here. We
love it. Wendy

Thanks Wendy! The original painting sold and I kinda miss looking at it! Gotta get a print for myself too!

I finally have a title for my current painting...hope to be done soon!

TARZAN AND THE CALL OF THE MAORI

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-24 08:45 ]

On Facebook the other day Ken Ruzic suggested I do a large painting. I told him my work space really doesn't allow that (i.e. Super-Cramped), and with this Florida heat there's NO WAY I'm working outside! That exchange made me realize I rarely take pics of my workspace, so I did today as I was cleaning up and adding new work to be inspired by over my easel. Not the best pic but thought I'd share it here.

And one of my mutt Homer visiting the studio.

Tiki Tower

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2012-03-24 17:07 ]

Looks like a Frazetta and Lydia the Tattoo'd Lady. I thought there was a "show us your workspace" thread here on TC but I can't find it.

I like the way Tarzan is looking Robert.

On 2012-03-24 17:42, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks like a Frazetta and Lydia the Tattoo'd Lady. I thought there was a "show us your workspace" thread here on TC but I can't find it.

I like the way Tarzan is looking Robert.

Thanks Mike! There is also a recent painting of Ming The Merciless by Jason Edmiston which is amazing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 2156 replies