Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Shrunken Heads and Headhunters Art Swap - Draw List p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies

Well guys, I'm out :( We had a 7.2 earthquake centered about 40 miles away today and my Art Swap project was one of the casualties. No way I can get another one made in time.

We had a mess here at home, but that's the only thing that broke. My daughter had several items broke and it broke up our Easter dinner party - other than that, we're OK :)

T

Sorry to hear about your piece, but at least you and your family are ok. I hope no one was seriously affected by the quake today.

T

As long as everyone is fine. Thats what matters but that does suck!

L

Mike I would like to see you give it another go just to see the end result.

I am happy to hear that nothing major was affected but it is a shame about your mug.

I really wanted to see that piece complete :(

Bummer mike..
even up here in OC it was felt..
Must've been quite a wild ride...

why don't you try and glue it?
:)

A

Hang in there ! Make a mosaic with the pieces!!

T

Mike,
Glad to hear all the non-shrunken heads at your place are fine :) We even felt it here in Scottsdale, Arizona, so I cannot imagine what it felt like for you.

Bummer for your art piece thought.... I was really looking forward to seeing it completed.

Peace,
Jason <

aww man! broken project, sorry Mike. it was looking great too.

Ah Mike, we all had our fingers crossed to win that terrific mug. Well thank goodness there are so many great entries to be had. You'll have a momento of the earthquake to show for years to come. Bummer. Super happy your family wasn't hurt. Wendy

T6

MadDogMike: I'm happy that you and your family are OK. I'm sure anyone would be glad to take a rain check if you were to finish a little later than deadline.

I am stopping in with my humble offering for the Art Swap. Haven't post till now because I was afraid of not getting it done on time. But I DID!

This is a combo piece: Carved the face from a piece of pine, sculpted the hair from Super Sculpty and finished it with leftover beads.

Let me know if this meets the criteria?

Aloha
Tiki 65

A

Fantastic! Looks like it was fun to make as well.

Tiki65, that sure does meet the criteria - looks great too. Welcome to the Art Swap.

Thanks to all for the condolences and well wishes. I've lived here all my life and we don't even call it an earthquake unless it's at least a 5.0 - but this one was a JOLT!!! I'm going to start over on my mug tonight and see how far I can get by the 15th.

Wow that's great news, may the tiki gods be with you MadDogMike.

Hey Tiki 65 I love Sculpey and have used it for years in my tiki art. That's a wonderful addition to the swap. Wendy

Nice offering there 65!
and MadDog mike!
you gonna give it another try?
excellent!

T

Tiki 65 - loving it! what a great piece...

Mike - I don't know about everyone else, but if I got you as a swap partner I'd be more than willing to wait for your finished mug!

This is fun... maybe a few more will jump in before it's all said and done...

Peace,
Jason <

It's like deja vu again

Z

Go, Mike! I'd wait for you ta be done if I got your name out of the pith helmet...
Youu can do it!
Great, now I have Rob Schneider's voice stuck in my head.
(This illustrates my saturation with less than classy media... no surprise there.)

~Zero

"The guy in the jacket"

Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-04-07 09:17 ]

i want in on this

rum painting..barbancourt and the st.elizabeth allspice dram on parchment..8" x 10"....suitable for FRAMING

Rum painting... brilliant! But no one would complain if you included a frame... made out of lime wedges!

Moondoggie, glad to see you're in - great rum painting!

As far as my mug... "I am troubled on every side, yet not distressed; I am perplexed, but not in despair" :lol:

For some reason, the walls on this casting we not as thick as the last one and the stress of the heavy wet clay on the head was too much for the thin walls. I'm out of casting slip and a little frustrated - so I'll Sharpie some notes on the side of that mold and put it away for another time. But don't cry for me - life is GREAT and I'll get over this. In fact, I already am :D

T

On 2010-04-07 20:36, MadDogMike wrote:

"I am troubled on every side, yet not distressed; I am perplexed, but not in despair" :lol:

quote it brother :)

Bummer that the mug didn't make it the 2nd go around...

how many art swaps do they do each year? does another start up after this one ends?

just curious...

peace,
Jason <

Mike could you save it if you made it as a statue and not a mug? Shorten the arm and attach the hand and head to the base? Melt the extra clay and patch it and finish up with baking and glazing. It doesn't have to be a mug for this swap. You can do it, I know it, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-04-07 21:29 ]

Seems as though your Shrunken Head is truely cursed.

A

You made me snort my coffee

On 2010-04-07 12:00, bb moondog wrote:
i want in on this

rum painting..barbancourt and the st.elizabeth allspice dram on parchment..8" x 10"....suitable for FRAMING

Love this!

V

Mike - sorry to see the re-occurring clay disasters with your headhunter mug! I know how frustrating that can be. Sometimes the clay gods are with you, and sometimes they curse you!

On that note I just pressed START on the kiln for the final glaze firing of my frames shrunken faces. All 10 fingers are firmly crossed, and I'll report the good/bad news tomorrow morning when the kiln cools.

Mahalo -
Henrik

Thanks guys :)

Jason, there is no set schedule for the Art Swaps. Last year we had two, both expertly facilitated by Hewey.

Wendy, too late - I already PITCHED it. I really like the concept and I know I can make it work, I'll take a break from it and try again later :)

T

MIKE!!! Creativity is alowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing wich ones to keep.///// And when all else fails "f" IT!!!

V

Believe it or not - my framed face is nearly done! All that is left to do is find a frame for it. Here he is:

Can't believe I got it done in time! Whew!

Henrik

Very cool Henrik, that'll look sweet in a frame!

6 more days and then we Trade! It's bitter sweet with MadDogMike's piece missing but there's always next time if Hewey will keep this going.
So much fun art, Henrik he's so sad his head shrunk. Wendy

Vantiki that is excellent! I would love to participate next time!

T

Henrik, so creative... thanks for contributing to this swap!

peace,
Jason <

It's the creativity of TC members that make this whole community so damn interesting. We got some cool, right-brained people around here. My offering is all packaged up and waiting to be addressed... can't wait!

Obviously I haven't been on here in a while - I'm SOOOO sorry to hear about your mug Mike - if it weren't for bad luck, etc. etc.! It was not meant to be I guess :( I'm glad to hear, however, that nothing else was broken - including your OWN head! My daughter is totally convinced the earthquakes are slowly making their way up north and will soon be hitting our city - I hope not! I rode out the Nisqually quake in the heart of Pioneer Square where Seattle was hardest hit. I WOULD have been in the bathroom if I had not deferred to a co-worker! Usually that kind of stuff happens to me so I was a bit surprised! LOL

N

I was so looking forward to participate in this swap and as soon as it was first announced I started working on a piece. Alas, it cracked and broke. Last week I started working on another piece, a hand-sculpted mixed-media ceramic/ fiber mug. Sadly, I'm at the studio only once a week, due to my teacher's schedule and I won't be able to finish it by Thursday. If anyone else is on the same deadline boat is interested in doing a 1-on-1 shrunken head swap, I'll be ready in a few weeks time.
K.

That looks like its going to look great!!

Z

The recipient of my swapping will also become a charter member of the 'Little Mo-Mo Fang Club', with all of its benefits...

...including this somewhat sloppy membership pin.
~Zero

Have we lost steam already? There's still time to get in on the Swap Action!

little MoMo club!
:lol:
and Van.....awesome!

6 more days Kids!
tingling!

Time to close my eyes, plug my nose & dive in!
Here is my humble offering. I hope that it's ok to be included in the swap.

~Kele

A

Awesome, Kele!

Just a couple days left ...
The submissions are great!
Where are the rest of the HEAVY HITTERS? lol

i guess all the heavy hitters think they're too good to participate...
For most of them it's only an evening's worth of work...
are they stuck up?
do they think they're better than we?
do they not feel a responsibility to the Ohana here?

They certainly like to take all your hard-earned money in exchange for artwork...

but when it comes to playing with the "little people" they shy away and make excuses....

may i suggest a boycott of all of them?
Buy only LLT-certified art from now on
and show those hoity-toity heavy hitters
that they can remain in their ivory towers
only so long as you "little people" keep them up there!!!

Now go give em the what fer!

Let the PMs begin!
:)

hey!
I opted out because for the last 2 swaps I was so far behind in finishing. I didnt want to promise a piece and not make the deadline. I'll do the next one.

hey Dawn...
we were talking about the heavy-hitters...
:lol:

you know i'm just funnin yew Dawn..

you've played nice for the swaps
this is about all those HH-ers that snub ALL these swaps....
they know who they are.....

A

Name NAMES! I'm new- need names

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies