Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Buffet taints tiki party

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

It's really funny how many replies I've gotten inferring that I told people what they could put or play in their own home bars when I never did anything of the sort. JB is not tiki bar music, but be that as it may the main topic of the post was etiquette, ie it being rude to usurp someones LPs for your CDs without so much as asking. I've never slipped a Dean Martin CD into someone's player while they were havin' a good ol' boy BBQ and wouldn't think of doing so. Funny how my protesting the reverse causes so much friction on a forum devoted to preserving poly-pop culture. Keep in mind that I'm just an incredibly angry SOB while you read the first post of this topic asking for input on helping the situation, read my infuriating words,"I'm a little cheesed", ooooooh fightin' words! LOL!

Damm you Sneaks....you are really riling me up. I have half a mind to come over to your place an pop some Led Zeppelin on the Bose.....then I am gonna rifle through your bar and suck down a six-pack...and then I'm gonna tell you sumthin about manners (afterall....I didn't go to charm school at the YWCA when I was a kid for nothin!!!)

Vamp,
U Git er' Dun!

TT

Please Note: This is MY PERSONAL OPINION...

Buffet sucks.. Margaritaville?? PFFFT!!!.. he should be singing (rambling) about crapolaville.. I challenge "the Buffster" to a duel! or a Mai Tai drinking contest or tiki throwing (wtf?) or pehaps a fist fight.. whatever... he sucks

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 8:49 PM

Bufet, buffett, booofei, whatever, does not capture the element that I was raised with in the genr'e named for ploynesian sake! There are so many others out there that do. Reggae comes far closer to the element than does Jimmy (which travels ever soooo close to "country" sometimes!) No way! Sorry! And I live in Flahduh! The outback of the US!

I don't own Jimmy! I don't play Jimmy! I play soulful mellow or bone shakin tropical jams at me shindigs! At the hut of no tales!

If this offends, I make no appologies! I am not angry at all! I'm just conditioned by me Ma & Pa at what is respectfully TIKI! ( My aim is to preserve it too!) and what is not.

Mahalo

McTiki

TT

jimmy booofei sucks too..

This is what I'm talking about.
http://www.pubclub.com/specialevents/buffett04anaheim.htm

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-06 22:06 ]

...oh and don't get me started on the buff word combined with the word of tiki....and further more.....NO RED PLASTIC CUPS!!!

I only use those kind of plastic cups for civilized parties, like a girly get-together to buy home decorum or such rot. I wouldn't think of expsoing them at a tiki party....must have real glass or ceramic mug for tiki fest!!!

TeeeKee Parteeee...mmmralfffff, wretch, Dude! Sorry about pukin' in the back seat of yer' car.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-06 22:37 ]

M

S'OK, The parrots made a bigger mess where ya were sittin!

Nyuck!

5446 posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 4:43 AM

Hey Sneaky,

I only called you out on that because I wasn't sure if I was seeing the dates correctly. I could of used a different word other than yelling in that comment too, it's just what came to mind at the moment. Now I know not to get on your bad side you grudge holding angry SOB : )

.....LANDSHARK......

W
wjake posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 9:17 AM

I'll probably be damned for liking both, but, so be it. Maybe I'm a "moderate..." :wink:

I realize that I won't be changing anyone's mind, but, have you ever stopped and thought that maybe it's JB's FANS that are the issue? Being really tight with the Buffett camp, I can assure you that off stage he is NOT about cheeseburgers and margaritas.

Also, he IS influenced by tiki/exotica, if you can get past the cheeseburgers and margaritas (which, coincidentally made him gozillions of bucks--would you NOT do it if that much $$ were in it for you?). Take a listen to a track called "Altered Boy" on the Far Side of the World album. He actually thanks Mr. Denny, and track is heavily exotica influenced. It is my favorite track on the album. And, when he performed live in Hawaii a couple of years back, he had the great Martin Denny come up on stage with him and MD and Jimmy's band played an awesome version of "Quiet Village." AND... Jake Shimabakuro is a semi-regular member of his band.

Again, I realize I'm not changing any minds here, but I just want to give you an opinion from someone who has Les Baxter's African Jazz AND JB's Weather With You albums on his ipod and listens to both regularly... cheeseburgers and margaritas are MARKETING ploys, and they are WORKING. Give Radio Margaritaville a try--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mahalo
wJ

Hey where did Wick Diesel go? (JB?)

Not all of us dislike Buffet. 2 or 3 years ago I said I liked him on a thread similar to this one, still do. There are others..........out there. And the circle goes round anda round.

NO PARROTS/NO BUFFET

The above mentioned items are NOT OK in my Tiki room. I've spent a lot of time
to create a tiki atmosphere music, fashion, drinks, & style to compromise with. I
don't like OR dislike Buffet, but for me his overall image is an anachronism
that doesn't fit my Tiki world. Yeah I know different strokes for different folks.

Thortiki

W
wjake posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 1:53 PM

On 2007-03-11 12:21, Thortiki wrote:
NO PARROTS/NO BUFFET

The above mentioned items are NOT OK in my Tiki room. I've spent a lot of time
to create a tiki atmosphere music, fashion, drinks, & style to compromise with. I
don't like OR dislike Buffet, but for me his overall image is an anachronism
that doesn't fit my Tiki world. Yeah I know different strokes for different folks.

Thortiki

This is fine, I'm not advocating anyone play anything in their tiki bars that they don't want to. I don't have a tiki bar, and I suspect when I finally build one I probably won't play much Buffett either. But I still like the man's music and respect him for being one hell of a songwriter/storyteller.

So, yes, to each his own, I guess.

T

You took it personally after I asked you not to !!!!
On 2007-03-06 19:24, Sneakytiki wrote:
TikiLale, Anyone reading my original post or reply who thought I was extremely angry comes across as one dumb SOB. BTW don't call someone an SOB and tell them not to take it personally, it's oxy-moronic.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-06 19:26 ]

Pages: 1 2 64 replies