Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies

On 2016-12-08 07:22, AceExplorer wrote:
If the current bearer of Mr. Tiki can mail him to me by this Saturday, I will take him to the cities of Havana, Santiago de Cuba, and Cienfuegos. I know he's already been to the island nation, but hey, good things are worth repeating, right?

I leave on Sunday early, and have been too busy to remember to post this sooner. PM me if you're interested - I'll reimburse by PayPal for overnight shipping to my home by Saturday.

If this doesn't work out, then I'll have to consider adopting some sort of Cuban doll or stick-man as a temporary stand-in for Mr. Tiki.

I'll post photos when I get back. Not sure how much rum I must consume before losing the ability to take photos, but I'll try really hard to stay just a tad under that point.

Sorry for the delay. Mr. Tiki has been vacationing on Exotic Tiki Island but he's ready to move on. Would you still like me to send him to you AceExplorer?

On 2016-12-16 12:39, Tiki-Brian wrote:
Sorry for the delay. Mr. Tiki has been vacationing on Exotic Tiki Island but he's ready to move on. Would you still like me to send him to you AceExplorer?

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply! I just got back last night from my trip, so no need to send Mr. Tiki - I know my request was very last-minute. I'll post pics in some of the other forums later this week. In a nutshell, everyone should consider going to Havana. It is hard to put into words what I experienced.

Cheers!

Anxious to read your trip report and see some pix Ace.
Cheers

BK

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Loved Wendy & Dan's posts. They captured the true spirit of the original Mr. Tiki's Wild Ride!

So who is ready to receive Mr Tiki III ? He's ready to move on :)
PM me and i'll get back to you. Mahalo

“Drinking a Mai Tai doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”

[ Edited by: Tiki-Brian 2017-01-05 12:45 ]

Tiki-Brian I hope bumping this thread will find you the next traveler. If you don't have one by September let me know and I'll take him again on another trip.

Big Kahuna, thank you. I'm glad my fake Mr. Tiki II didn't get me in trouble because I took another photo on this trip to Canada.

Here's my fake one in Quebec.

That is the Fairmont Hotel on the top of the highest hill.

Cheers, Wendy

Looks like a case of Identity Theft :o LOL

Thanks for the bump Wendy, I sent a PM to Brian to see if we can get Mr Tiki on the move again

T

Where in the world is Mr. Tikiiiiii????

Is he coming over here next??? (He's certainly invited).

Dang, I could have taken Mr. T to New York this past week. A pic of him at Coney Island would have been fun!

Are there three Mr. Tikis missing in the world? I took my fake one with me on our trip to the Big Island but most of the time I forgot he was with me. Dang it I wanted him with the lava flow.

Here are the photos of my fake Mr. Tiki II.

At the Hilo zoo.

Looking left at the bay in Hilo.

Looking right at the bay of Hilo.

I looked up this ship and it is really something very special. Check it out. http://peaceboat.org/english/?menu=46

I hope all three of the Mr. Tiki's show up and keep on traveling. Cheers, Wendy

Hey Wendy!!!! I'm glad at least the fake Mr Tiki is still traveling and seeing the world!
Yes, looks like Mr Tiki III has gone missing :( Or was this Mr Tiki II that re-surfaced after Mr Tiki III disappeared? I don't think I'll send out a Mr Tiki IV, it was fun for several years but seems increasingly hard to sustain.

As long as I don't lose my Fake Mr. Tiki I'll keep him going when we travel. I have really enjoyed your thread and all the participation over the years. Booooooooooo to those who kept him confined. Wendy

I'll post pictures of the 3 Mr Tikis to the Facebook Tiki groups and see if we can shake one of them loose.

Why don't you make an image of Mr Tiki for download and people can print their own Mr Tiki and take it with them. This would allow everyone to photograph Mr Tiki in different places. They could even glue the image to a piece of cardboard or wood.

MaukaHale that is how I made mine. I just carry the photo in my purse. I think your idea is good. It would be fun to see what photos show up here.

What do you think Mike? Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2017 5:16 PM

Mike, have you been able to locate the “real” Mr. Tiki yet? If so, I could take him on a road trip to Iowa, as long as I get him by Friday, December 29.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2017 6:05 PM

Wendy’s question about the Mr. Tiki line of succession is answered here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35612&forum=1&vpost=752030

Mike, maybe it’s not a bad idea to update the first post with that history?

I like John’s idea of a printable Mr. Tiki, but I also like the real thing. They both have pros and cons, sort of like the tension between books and Kindle.

Hamo, he has not surfaced. I'm afraid he is gone :(

As far as a printed one like Wendy did, thats a great idea - then anyone can print their own version of him and take pics with him. I don't any pictures other than the ones posted here, I'll see if I can find a good one to post here :D

T

Another neat idea would be to come up with a Mr Tiki design that could be 3D printed by anyone (with a 3D printer). Not that I have one, but I do have a friend with one.

All great ideas but I would like to see the real McCoy’s back in circulation fwiw.

Playing with CAD files for a 3D printer is on my bucket list but probably not going to happen soon :wink:

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2017 10:41 PM

Mr. Tiki II’s last known location was on Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian. Did he ship Mr. Tiki off somewhere else?

If you decide on a digital Mr. Tiki, may I suggest a new design, as opposed to a photo of a previous Mr. Tiki? That way it would be easier to distinguish “Mr. Tiki IV”....

S

On 2017-12-18 00:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
All great ideas but I would like to see the real McCoy’s back in circulation fwiw.

I agree. A printed version, whether it's on paper or in 3D, completely defeats the purpose. That would be like me printing out a photo of you Mike and saying you're here in Australia.

T

So who lost all these Mr. tiki?

There needs to be an investigation.
People need to be held accountable, maybe a thing under their tiki central name that says Mr. tiki abductor.

A deposit could be placed on the receipt of Mr. Tiki to be returned only after Mr. Tiki is passed on to the next destination in a responsible manner.

Adding my two cents cuz over the years I've really enjoyed reading about the travels of Mr. Tiki.

I think a "real" Mr. Tiki is essential for the sport of it. Yeah, he can get lost. But if we were to figure out a way to keep emailing the current holder - a weekly nag - that might help. And add two new rules - 1) you must provide your phone number, and 2) you can only keep him for two weeks or so before we start calling you. This may help us avoid losing Mr. Tikis just due to human nature and the hustle and bustle of life.

Maybe I can host him someday since my city now has a good population of tikiphiles and tiki bars.

T

Maybe one of those cheap tracking tags can be installed in Mr Tiki and then you could see where he is at all times. :)

Like one of these things:
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3VEC08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WeuoAbW3629E3

[ Edited by: tikitube 2017-12-19 08:42 ]

On 2017-12-19 08:38, tikitube wrote:
Maybe one of those cheap tracking tags can be installed in Mr Tiki and then you could see where he is at all times. :)

Like one of these things:
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3VEC08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WeuoAbW3629E3

Good idea. Acceptance of Mr. Tiki would imply and require acceptance of the tracking device as well. I didn't look up the cost, but heck, a number of us could chip in a buck or two to keep it going.

Lots of activity on this tread lately, that's a good thing :D

Hamo there has been several times he has gone missing, some longer than others. I always try to communicate with the "abductor" (Thanks TikiSkip :lol:) via PM, e-mail, etc. They usually just ignore my messages. It's supposed to be a fun thing so I don't really get up in their faces, don't want to piss anyone off and chase them away over something that really is trivial.

Swizzle and Ace, I agree that a real Mr Tiki is more meaningful than a picture or even a 3D printed version.

Tikitube, that tracking device is a good idea. But there are a few reasons why it might not work; one, I usually KNOW where Mr Tiki is - he's at the home of the last recipient. But knowing where he is doesn't seem to get him moving. Two, those BlueTooth finders are "crowd-sourced". As I understand, someone with that app turned on has to be within 100 feet of the object for it to be "discovered". It might help if Mr Tiki is actually lost instead of just waiting forever to be mailed out.

Let me see if I can get Mr Tiki IV going after the holidays. The BlueTooth Tiles are inexpensive, I wouldn't mind attaching one. I think better communication and accountability is the key. I need to check with the intended recipient to get some contact information first and to get a commitment from the to "play nicely" :D

You need to add a curse for irresponsible people on the next one Mike.

Something like "I'm Mr. Tiki don't move me on and your life will get freaky"

And remember TC people the last location was the ETI RADIO Broadcast from the Blue Whale Tiki Bar on Exotic Tiki Island so give the proper support to Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian.

Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian last known abductor.

:up: :lol: :up:

On 2017-12-19 12:38, tikiskip wrote:
You need to add a curse for irresponsible people on the next one Mike.

Something like "I'm Mr. Tiki don't move me on and your life will get freaky"

And remember TC people the last location was the ETI RADIO Broadcast from the Blue Whale Tiki Bar on Exotic Tiki Island so give the proper support to Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian.

Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian last known abductor.

Way to go Skip!
Cheers

"Beware of the curse! Mr Tiki is a transient spirit and does not like to stay too long in one hut. So welcome him into your home, show him the local sights but DO NOT let him stay longer that two weeks or strange things will start to happen; the glaze on your most prized Tiki mug will craze and start to flake off. All of your rum will turn to cheap vodka and your limes will be juiceless. Your lauhala mats will mildew and your thatch will catch fire. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
I can put this on the back of Mr Tiki :D

T

Regardless of how you move forward, please let us know of the costs involved for creating Mr Tiki IV (with or without tracking) so we can pitch in. I'd be happy to PayPal a few bucks to get him going again. :)

What a shame. We mailed out Mr Tiki from Exotic Tiki Island months ago and I'm assuming he did not make it to his next destination :( . I should have added tracking to the package.

T

See if you posted that months ago that would have helped.

Who did you send it to?

Good suggestion! Add to the "required" list for Mr. Tiki hosts to always use tracking when mailing the little guy. But even so, stuff gets stolen from mailboxes and doorsteps, so nothing is 100%. A delivery confirmation signature requirement would also help.

H

I was supposed to be getting Mr Tiki next, I sent my address but never got him and never heard back.

OK, moving forward with Mr Tiki IV. I have ordered a resin Tiki from the San Diego Tiki Factory (our very own Buzzy) and a Tile tracker from Amazon. He should be ready to send to Hiltiki in a couple of weeks (I have your address Hilda). I will print THE CURSE to the back along with abbreviated instructions and a url to this thread. I will set a permanent reminder in my calendar so I can check on him every 2 weeks and make sure he is moving along. And I have modified the guidelines on the front page to this:

NEW GUIDELINES
We are working on Mr Tiki IV, the other 3 have sadly disappeared. I'm going to try to keep in better communication with the hosts to keep him moving instead of being stuck in one place for months at a time. The idea is that a host receives Mr Tiki and keeps him for a maximum of two weeks before sending him off to the next destination. During that time, take a picture of Mr Tiki with you and any local sites, especially anything of Tiki interest. The idea is NOT to document him visiting every destination in your tri-state area or to hang onto him because you will be visiting Fiji in two years - just take some pics of him, post them here, and send him on.

The current host determines who he goes to next, if you need suggestions on who to send him to PM me or check the last few pages of this thread to see who is following. PLEASE PM ME BEFORE SENDING MR TIKI TO HIS NEXT DESTINATION. This will allow me to check with the new host to make sure they want to participate, that they agree to the guidelines, and to make sure I have a good means of communicating with them (cell phone number). There is a list below of previous hosts, we should send him to new people if possible.

Thanks for playing along :D These guidelines will help everyone enjoy Mr Tiki but will also help protect the hosts from THE CURSE!!! :o :o :o
"Mr. Tiki is a transient spirit and does not like to stay too long in one hut. So welcome him into your home, show him the local sights, but DO NOT let him stay longer than two weeks or strange things will start to happen. The glaze on your most prized Tiki mug will crack and start to flake off. All of your rum will turn to cheap vodka and your limes will be juice-less. Your lauhala mats will mildew and your thatch will catch fire. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

ATTENTION MEMBERS! If you take the TC War Canoe on a head hunting party, be sure to remove the decapitated bodies before returning it. See club bylaws for more details

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-12-21 09:58 ]

On 2017-12-21 07:52, tikiskip wrote:
See if you posted that months ago that would have helped.

Who did you send it to?

I did post it months ago. In a private message

If you let us know who we can find out if that person is having trouble with their mail.
Maybe it is at a neighbor's house.

And if we know what state it went to we can post it's picture on the milk cartons in that state.

Or that person may have it, if we know who it is we can say hey buddy what's up?

That's how Colombo would do it.

H

Mike, any chance we can make that three weeks instead of two weeks?

On 2017-12-21 12:13, hiltiki wrote:
Mike, any chance we can make that three weeks instead of two weeks?

Sure, that's a good number. With a week transit time that should put him with a new host every month

Who had him last?

Jimmy, the last one who had him mailed him out but I didn't communicate well enough and didn't realize he got lost in the mail :( Mr Tiki IV coming soon

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2017 11:23 PM

So looks like we’ve learned that neither Canada Post nor USPS can be trusted with tikis.

I was going to suggest you add the thread’s URL to instructions on the back in case some non-TC member discovers a lost Mr. Tiki. I also like the three week timeframe. And if a host doesn’t move Mr. Tiki, in addition to the curse you can sic Skip on him.

T

Canada Post is the worst.
I don't send to Canada if I can help it.

You can get something from China faster and at less cost.

"in addition to the curse you can sic Skip on him"
Paper tiger, "just the facts ma'am"

"Dragnet and spinoff Adam-12 were the only television shows to use real LAPD badges.

In the show's heyday, people would regularly visit the LAPD asking to speak to Sgt. Friday. The official response given by the front desk was, "Sorry, it's Joe's day off."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIZGrgWOO4

On 2017-12-21 23:23, Hamo wrote:
...I was going to suggest you add the thread’s URL to instructions on the back in case some non-TC member discovers a lost Mr. Tiki.

Definitely!

Hope to see another Mr. Tiki on the loose, never had the honor of hosting him.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies