Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies

Wow I had no idea that there was all this activity going on since my Hilo post of Mr. Tiki. I am so happy that there will now be a
Mr. Tiki IV.

I like the addition of the keeping it curse. We should all post who we send it too so we can keep track.

See MadDogMike your Mr. Tiki is loved just like we love you! Wendy

On 2017-12-25 09:57, danlovestikis wrote:
See MadDogMike your Mr. Tiki is loved just like we love you! Wendy

Awwwww....

Hey! Look what I found in the mail yesterday :wink:

Did Mr. Tiki send it?

Buzzy sent the Tiki, I guess you could make a case that he is Mr Tiki. Amazon was nice enough to send me the tracking tag :D

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2018 11:37 PM

Hey Mike, any update on Mr. Tiki?

No Hamo but I haven't forgotten, just too busy. I got all the supplies, need to break out the Dremel and hollow a cavity under the Tiki for the chip. Working on a big (non-Tiki) project with a deadline of Feb 1st so hope to be onto Mr Tiki soon :D

On 2018-01-26 08:50, MadDogMike wrote:
...Working on a big (non-Tiki) project with a deadline of Feb 1st so hope to be onto Mr Tiki soon :D

Good luck, Mike. I've got a huge project going live last week of Feb and it's killing me, lol...

Got a house that I lived in for 30 years, trying to get it all cleaned out and ready to rent. Bathroom remodel, etc. Kinda eating all my spare time for now :roll:

Making some progress! Hope to get this Tile tracking device figured out today

Had a little time to work on Mr Tiki. He needs two screws and THE CURSE decoupaged to his back. Should be ready to go out this week.

EDIT - Locator seems to work well too

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-02-18 16:44 ]

I know it is far away, but we would love to host Mr. Tiki during our Cap City Tiki Bar Crawl, first weekend in October.

Coolness! Where is Mr. Tiki III heading to first?

T

It's back.

Remember when in Portland OR to look for Mr. Tiki #1 last seen with TC member crushenstein.

AND when in Canada to look for Mr. Tiki #2 last seen in Canada with Tiki-Brian and lost in the Mail.

Looks like it might be best for at least the early years of Mr. Tiki #3s life might be best spent with TC folks who have more than say 100 or more posts.

Background checks and Psychological exams could help too.

Ok no Psychological exams cuz nobody here would pass.

Good luck Mr. Tiki #3 you're going to need it.

On 2018-02-19 06:18, tikiskip wrote:
....Mr. Tiki #3s life might be best spent with TC folks who have more than say 100 or more posts.

Skip, that's a good outstanding suggestion. Not sure how this criteria would have worked with the others who previously had Mr. Tiki, but it's definitely worth discussing.

T

On 2018-02-18 15:47, MadDogMike wrote:
Had a little time to work on Mr Tiki. He needs two screws and THE CURSE decoupaged to his back. Should be ready to go out this week.

EDIT - Locator seems to work well too

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2018-02-18 16:44 ]

Neat! Cool that you figured out the tracking tag thing, too.

T

"Not sure how this criteria would have worked with the others who previously had Mr. Tiki,"

The two who lost em would not have got em in the first place.
Mr. Tiki#1 would be alive today.

They don't really even post anymore.

OK, Mr Tiki IV is ready to TIKI ON!!!!!

Prikli Pear would like to have him for mid March which gives Mr Tiki enough time for a quick visit somewhere else first. Anyone looking to host him now and ship him to Texas in a couple weeks?

For future reference, here are some people who have recently expressed interest in hosting Mr Tiki
TikiAno (San Diego, CA)
Hamo (Colorado)
tikitube (Ozarks)
hiltiki (Reseda, CA)
Dustycajun (Santa Barbara, CA)
Prikli Pear (New Braunfels, TX) for mid March
AceExplorer (Jacksonville, FL) for Hukilau in June
VampiressRN (Sacramento, CA) for Cap City Crawl in October

T

Great job Mike.

All jokes aside the best way to receive and send off Mr. Tiki is to announce Mr. Tiki arrival when you get him, if you post that on TC and in a PM to the person who sent it to you, you are covered two times.

Now when you send him off do the same thing, announce on TC he's gone, and in a PM to the new receiver, and again your covered twice, and hey you're taking photos of all of Mr. Tiki antics take one of you putting his butt in the post office, and you're covered.

Don't waste Mikes time and efforts by not taking a small bit of time and effort yourself.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2018 10:55 PM

I’m kinda hibernating at the moment, so I’d rather wait for a bit before receiving Mr. Tiki.

I am so happy to see that Mr. Tiki has been revived and is an even better version. MadDogMike you rock! Wendy

On 2018-02-19 19:21, tikiskip wrote:
Great job Mike.

All jokes aside the best way to receive and send off Mr. Tiki is to announce Mr. Tiki arrival when you get him, if you post that on TC and in a PM to the person who sent it to you, you are covered two times.

Now when you send him off do the same thing, announce on TC he's gone, and in a PM to the new receiver, and again your covered twice, and hey you're taking photos of all of Mr. Tiki antics take one of you putting his butt in the post office, and you're covered.

Not a bad idea :D

Mr Tiki on on the move to TikiSkip in Ohio. It will be interesting see how the tracking device works on his trip.

Nice to see that somebody trusts ol' Skip! hahahaha....

Mr. Tiki is in good hands.

From now on, all Mr. Tiki's gonna talk about is the proper way to make tiki lamps and how terrible Ohio winters are! :lol:

:lol: :D :P

T

Yeah I know, it was nice yesterday.

Going to show him mud, grey sky's and rain.

T

Mr. Tiki has arrived.

Pic's and narrative to follow.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 24, 2018 10:12 PM

“Gray skies are gonna clear up...”

The sky's DID clear up, it was raining for a week before Mr. Tiki got here.
If he brings sunshine wherever he goes I will not send him on!

So it's kind of his birthday so we got cake.
here he is blowing out the candle now.

Am trying to teach him how to tie fish floats and make lights.

We will go out soon....

First-Class Tikiskip treatment all the way! Don't let him eat too much cake, or that will increase shipping costs! :lol:

Looks like he made a mess of your twine. Be careful, he is part menehune (on his father's side)

H

I want that cake.

T

It was good cake, but just bought it at the store.

Getting closer to time for Mr. Tiki to move on not going to tell where he is going and will leave that to the new host.

BUT I had an idea and I did ask Mike first as Mr. Tiki is his idea, so I thought it might be fun to have a travel box for Mr. Tiki.

This box is small and comes with almost no decoration that's where the hosts come in.
The people that host Mr. Tiki over time will add small doodle's or decoupage just some form of tiki art stuff to the box, you could glue on a craving or even a small ceramic thing.
And sign and date the box at the very least.

Also Mr. Tiki being a tiki collector himself would naturally pick up souvenir's at the places he visits, just one or two very small items like a postcard or swizzle sticks it, you could carve him a small tiki or even make him a small mug.

Would be best if these represent the places he visits and be tiki but small enough to fit in the box.
Over time his box will become packed with tiki crap like our houses.

I hope this will work and all have fun with it.
How cool would it be to have Tiki Kate's or Tiki David's have signed this, or even art by say LeRoy Schmaltz on this box?

Skip, that's what I call "value added." Way to take a fun thing like Mr. Tiki and raise it to the next level!

Very cool Skip! Thanks :D

T

I hope the box is fun in the end.
But then it will only be as good as the efforts put into it.

Here are some shots from around Kahiki land.

The large Moai that was in front of the Kahiki.

Here Mr. tiki is with another statue from the Kahiki.

Had thought that Kientz worked on the Giant Statue of King Gambrinus too, but this may not be true.
Philip E. Kientz even drew the image of “the German beer guy” for Plank’s restaurant in German Village
Mr. Kientz also designed the horse head on the Rolling Rock label.

King Gambrinus Statue

And this Mr. Tiki is what we got in place of the Kahiki ... Walgreens.
Not a fair trade in my book.
Check out those awesome Ohio clouds in the sky.

It is said that the eggroll factory is what killed the Kahiki, as the focus went more towards making eggrolls than the restaurant side of things.
As you can, see they even changed the Kahiki font - one would guess to divorce themselves from the old Kahiki a bit.
Here's the eggroll factory.

T

Took Mr. Tiki out for one last time.
We went to the G and R grill for their famous bologna sandwich.

Mr. Tiki is drinking and smoking and hanging out with the younger crowd that smoke and drink.

Back in our day Babies used to smoke and drink and they turned out fine.

Then we went to Windward Passage.
The next day Mr. Tiki was on his way - that's going to be one long bumpy ride hung-over and in a box.
Good luck Mr. Tiki....

H

Love that large Moai from Kahiki in the yard. Well that looked like a fun quick trip for Mr. tiki.

You RAWK Skip!!! Kinda sad to see him at Walgreens :(

T

I wanted to show the kahiki saga, You will see Mr. Tiki at many tiki bars.

But, at that Walgreens when I drove by I thought man there is usually an accident here.
As I drove back, There was an accident there.
Did go into that Walgreens to see if they had the nerve to sell Kahiki eggrolls and when I asked they said "We only sell the upscale Walgreens brand" HA!

That was a crappy part of town.
Now it's a super crappy part of town.

Don't shop Walgreen's!

tikiskip you gave Mr. Tiki the royal treatment. The photos you posted were terrific. The box idea is a lot of fun. Thank you.

So with the box idea also comes the opportunity for us to send a small gift solely for the benefit of the next recipient. Tiki matchbooks from places near us, or napkins, who knows?

T

Thanks Hilda, mike, Wendy, and Ace.

"send a small gift solely for the benefit of the next recipient"
Well I put two swizzle sticks in the box and those are for Mr.Tiki™
Kind of an offering to the tiki god.

He will go on and others will add to it.
So in the end he will have all this stuff in his box that will serve as a
memory of where he has been.
Plus it will be fun for the new host to see all of Mr. Tiki™ stuff as he moves along.

I know the box will fill up one day hopefully, we can deal with that then.

BUT, I also sent some host gifts with Mr. Tiki™ for the new host to keep.
Mr. Tiki™ likes to go out, party and can get annoying at times, but he still
has some manners, and his mom taught him to never come empty handed.

Mike, is it true that the chip in Mr. Tiki™ can also let you listen in on where he's at?
I Kid.
Mike thought we were at the UPS store, but that is right next door to Windward Passage, if he could listen in he would have heard a bunch of old people talking about their aches and pains.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-05 11:37 ]

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2018 9:53 PM

Mr. Tiki is back and better than ever. Hopefully the rest of us can show him half as good a time as you did, Skip.

Look who came to visit the Lagoon of Mystery! It's Mr. Tiki IV! (I don't know what Skip gave him to smoke, but he's got one nasty hacking cough...)

Whoooohoooo! Prikli Pear, you are host number 40. I have updated the list and map on page 1 of this thread

I have to say, hosting Mr. Tiki isn't quite what I expected. He came bearing gifts--actual swizzles and napkins from the late, lamented Kahiki, plus some other swag I think he lifted when TikiSkip wasn't looking. I'm not sure if Mr. Tiki is generous or just a klepto.

Regardless, Mr. Tiki was thirsty after his long trip (he got lost there for a couple of days, to the surprise of no one). I took him out to the Lagoon of Mystery, where he was excited to see I had the new Sippin' Safari 10th anniversary edition. I made him a Kamehameha punch, but once he learned I had no fresh blackberries for garnish, he refused to drink it (I think Mr. Tiki is one of them there "purists" I see mentioned here on occasion).

T

Well this Mr. Tiki is going to be trouble, he was born under a bad sign.
Sent him Priority Mail and was told he would be there on Monday but he arrived on Thursday.

Glad he made it for the trip you all are taking.
Odd thing is the tracking chip in Mr. Tiki blacked out for some time in transit and the USPS tracking was kinda sketchy as well.

This guy has supernatural powers.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies