Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

The Grog blog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 282 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2015 2:36 AM

Thanks Hang10. GROG have a blast at Tiki Oasis. Always great seeing GROG' friends visiting from strange, far off lands.

Almost Grog heart anniversary
:)

Happy anniversary G man

:drink: :drink: :drink: and another :drink:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 11, 2015 6:13 PM

Thanks ATP,but you misspelled :drink:

-----The Spelling Police

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 11, 2015 6:15 PM

On 2015-09-11 11:14, hang10tiki wrote:
Happy anniversary G man

Thanks Hang Man

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In the Golden Tiki

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2016 4:24 PM

Hola Grog!
Happy birthday next week!
What are you creatiking these days?

Gabba gabba

Z

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2016 12:18 PM

ZETA!! Hola compadre.

Thanks for the early birthday wishes.

As far as professional work, I just finished up doing storyboards on "Be Cool, Scooby Doo" animated TV series for Warner Bros. three weeks ago, and now I'm working on a show called "Bunnicula".

(not my artwork)

As far as TIKI art is concerned, I have a crap-load of unfinished ceramics started that I haven't touched in over a year(?) or so. TV animation is so stressful and time consuming, the last thing I want to do is MORE art when I come home.

I haven't done a Bamboo Ben comic for Tiki Magazine in a long time either. Doing the comic is like doing storyboards, so I definitely don't want to work on storyboards and then come home and basically do the same thing I've been busting my butt doing all day. I think if I were still working on features, it wouldn't be so bad, but the deadlines for TV are so killer. Plus, these damned cheap studios have fewer people doing more work on all the productions. I'm basically an "animatic" artist, not a storyboard artist. We draw on the computer with software that we edit and do timing. We record our own scratch audio, and drop in temp music and sound effects. And, half the time we have to rewrite a good portion and come up with gags because these lazy-assed writers forget to put humor and action in these cartoons and they just have the characters stand around and babble, which today's A.D.D. kids aren't going to sit around and watch.

What have you been up to? Gigolo? Mexican Soap Opera star? Professional soccer player? Working on being the next Miguel Covarrubias? :D

[ Edited by: grog 2016-09-03 14:03 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2016 3:22 PM

Great! Your dry humor is still there!
Me, got deep into truth seeking and "high" art... Stopped doing cómics skateboards and record covers... Those young kids are damn broke and want everything for free! Paintings are more re$pectable if you know what I mean!
Take care genius!

Amazing, diverse work by Grog. How is it that this thread has gone 18 months without any updates? What projects are you working on now, other than those remaining Going Primitive mugs?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 21, 2018 8:05 PM

After BUNNICULA, I went onto NEW LOONEY TUNES for a stint, and then got pulled off and put onto a different show.

(not my art)

Now I'm drawing these guys:

(not my art)

[ Edited by: GROG 2018-02-21 20:06 ]

Coolness! Thanks for the update--that's a lot of my childhood there, although I keep holding out for revivals of Goober & the Ghost Chasers and maybe the Hair Bear Bunch! How much actual drawing is involved with television animation these days now that Flash has conquered the world?

GROG is that the dog that loves cookies? I loved that dog. What fun to be part of the history of these cartoons. Wendy

T

On 2012-09-17 20:05, Monkeyman wrote:
I have to apologize Ernie for not seeing this thread before. Some of the work in this thread Ive seen but most of it I havent.

You are so amazingly talented both in 2D and 3D.

The mugs and other sculpture is just fantastic.

Inspired.

Thanks

“You are” vs. “you're” — what is the difference between them? I get confused between the two a lot.

Is “you're” the right word in this case?

Should havent be haven't?

Trying to get ahold on this grammar thing.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2018 11:05 PM

On 2018-03-01 15:33, tikiskip wrote:

“You are” vs. “you're” — what is the difference between them? I get confused between the two a lot.

Is “you're” the right word in this case?

Should havent be haven't?

Trying to get ahold on this grammar thing.

"You're" is a contraction of "you are", so either way is right in this case.

Yes, havent should be haven't. There's never a cop when you need one.

Should be: Trying to get a hold on this grammar thing, not ahold.-----The Spelling Police. :)

T

Will keep watching to see what you come up with next.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-03 04:29 ]

T

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2018 2:42 AM
G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2018 3:02 AM

This thread WAS about GROG' art, but got derailed a bit, so here's some OLD art to get it back on track:

This was for a demonstration GROG did for some Elementary school kids to show how animator's draw cartoon characters. Colored pencils and an ink brush on paper, back when we used to draw on paper.

This is some silly art GROG did for fun back when GROG was working on 'Be Cool Scooby Doo.' Drawn and colored on a computer using Photoshop.

GROG hope you enjoy. :)

Wait
Grog teached other lil cave dwellers to draw in school
I thunked u only drawed on walls
Next wave of lil grogs
:)
Cheers sir

T

Cool stuff... sorry to contribute to the derailment! Tiki drama...

[ Edited by: tikitube 2018-03-04 08:27 ]

junkhauler likes!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2018 12:19 AM

Moo chose grassy-ass, Moo Cha-Chose.

Grog need post

On 2018-03-03 03:02, GROG wrote:
This thread WAS about GROG' art, but got derailed a bit, so here's some OLD art to get it back on track:

This was for a demonstration GROG did for some Elementary school kids to show how animator's draw cartoon characters. Colored pencils and an ink brush on paper, back when we used to draw on paper.

GROG hope you enjoy. :)

Further instructions necessary for any Disney images

E

Good to see I didn't loose everything I posted here. Some funky stuff going on with the Bamboo Ben comics, though.

T

GROG that you?!

Ill take a look at the resizing images script… looks like it's cutting off some of the edges.

E

Thanks Leevigraham.

Tikicoma, yes it's me. I tried a bunch of times to reset my password because I couldn't remember it, so I couldn't log on as GROG.I kept getting "Invalid Token", whatever that means. Then I tried to re-register several times until I finally got on as ernimator. I almost gave up.

Si.

H

Glad me and us Grog no leave TC…we are make happy see Grog art

T

Hey Grog, is back, welcome.

Did you get a cave woman yet? This might help, find cave woman inspiration music.....

Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte (Cave Man) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU

Thanks guys. Good to be back. Sort of. Not GROG yet. We'll have to see if we can fix that.

She was a BIG woman. One of the "Butt" sisters.

Hey Artist formerly known as Grog...

Glad to see that you are able to get away from Woody Woodpecker for awhile and say hello to all your buddies here on TC

T

"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy" "Right on! Right on! Hotpants! Hotpants!

Thanks King Bushy,

Finished up on Woody End of May. Working on a little personal cartoon right now, but as soon as I finish, I'm going to try and get back into finishing ceramics that have been sitting around unfinished for a couple years. Unfortunately, it'll be glazing which is one of my least favorite parts of doing ceramics.

WC

You Bastard, GROG don't even come see what I'm doing? I may start Wang-a-roa pepper grinder mass production again unless GROG got something better I can steal. Will Carve https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39705&start=1488

Go right ahead Will. Copy whatever you want. Seems like everybody is doing it. I saw Swizzle copied my idea of a "Mug Shot". I guess he was tired of waiting for me to send him one of mine, so he did a Moai mug with a topknot as a shot glass like I did. And then I saw Wendy Cevola did a direct copy of my "Cutesy Bob" tiki mug for somebody. I've seen on the internet a few times where some people have made their own "Going Primitive Mugs" as well. I don't do much Tiki art, but apparently people like it well enough to copy it. But, not just Tiki art. I saw some art that I had placed up on Deviantart that somebody made prints of and sold on eBay. They just Photoshopped my name off and animation peg holes that were at the bottom of the art. Nobody has done anything with my Bamboo Ben art though. Ben just gets no respect!! I had talked to SQUID about his art being copied, and he's had SOooo many designs/ideas copied and massed produced that OTHER people make money off of that he's thinking that he should change careers.

I checked out your stuff Will. Looking sharp!!! I saw one photo of the Lono pepper mill in production and it had the hardware for making the pepper mill and a Phillips head screw driver. I can't believe you carved that whole thing with a Phillip's head screw driver!!! That takes a LOT of patience.

Hang10 copy Grog too:

17AAB2DA-F080-44D1-825C-C44937C347F4

Me like a Grog in a Grog

If you grew your beard out, that could be you.

Whether you believe me or not GROG, i didn't copy your idea at all. At least not intentionally. It's probably been more than 10yrs since i asked you for one of your moai's and i had forgotten all about it. When i made my mug i made about 5/6 and it wasn't until i finished them that i realized it needed the top knot to look complete and then i thought about adding one and making it as a shot glass. Your mug didn't even cross my mind at the time. it's purely coincidence.

And as far as i know, didn't Wendy ask you for your permission to make a 'cutesy Bob' for someone?

And seeing you mention the 'going primitive' mug, i do recall seeing a copy of that somewhere but i can't remember where. Most likely on Instagram.

[ Edited by swizzle on 2022-06-06 02:39:49 ]

Not mad at you Swiz. I know a lot of creative people come up with the same idea around the same time, or they come up with an idea that someone else has already done but they didn't know about it. Or sometimes they forget about an idea somebody has done already and later the idea pops into their head not realizing where they had seen or heard it before and they think it's their own original idea.

When I put on the first Tiki Bob art show I had drawn a Suffering Bob, and a Moai Bob, but I ran out of time before the show to make them. Later on I think it was MP did a Suffering Bob before I ever got to mine, and I think Eric October did a Moai Bob so I had to abandon my idea for those. But they came up with the ideas separate from me, and they probably did a better job than I would have.

I don't remember Wendy ever asking me for permission to do my Cutesy Bob. I would have said no because it devalues the one that I made and sold to somebody else. He had gotten a one of a kind original, but now there are two. If Wendy's had been a different color or done something to it to make it different from mine, it wouldn't have been so bad, but not a direct copy. But the damage is done, and I love Wendy.

Now that I think about it, I think YOU had sent me a link to one of the Going Primitive mugs somebody had made, but I'd seen a few. It's not so bad if somebody made one just for themselves. But, it sucks when they copy them and sell them and the original artist doesn't get any money for his original design. That's what pisses off SQUID about these Chinese mug makers that do knock offs of his stuff and sell it.

I remember seeing a Tonga Hut sign somebody was selling that had Kirby's design that I had inked for him. I doubt they had gotten permission from Kirby or Tonga Hut to use that art (but I could be wrong), but somebody was making money off of someone else's art without compensating the original artist.

T

Moved that question.

Can't wait to see the work you have after you glaze em. Do like that three Moai drink bowl lots!

Kinda hard to get yer stuff in Ohio.

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-06-08 03:55:57 ]

T

GROG message leevigraham he got TC up and running and can make GROG GROG again!

[ Edited by tikicoma on 2022-06-08 20:45:52 ]

[ Edited by tikicoma on 2022-06-08 20:46:17 ]

GROG's Cutsie Bob for Sandy LeeSandy Lee GROG's laughing tiki bob (4)

I'm so happy to see that you are back. I read the posts above and are relieved that you still love me! We did have a conversation and I did try to speak with you again. I couldn't remember what you said but I thought it was OK. Now I know I was wrong and I am in deep regret.

Sandy in Germany did this painting of your mug and convinced me to use it to make one to match her art. I carved and glazed the bottom to give you credit. Along with that my deepest apology. You are the master and I'm sure mine wasn't a match or as good.

Hugs, Wendy

Thanks for giving me credit for the design, Wendy on the bottom of the mug. I found out my buddy DEREK Yaniger will be at Tiki Oasis, so I've decided to go, so I'll see you there. When Dan's not looking, I'll have to give you a spanking. ;)

[ Edited by ernimator on 2022-06-12 22:49:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 282 replies