Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Kanaloa Lounge

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies

Incredible room Slacks!! Great job!!

At the end of July I'm driving across the country en route to my new home in southern Ontario. I'll be spending two nights in Calgary. Any chance I could have a first hand peek at the fabulous Kanaloa Lounge? We're resurrecting the Huki Lounge in our new rumpus room, and your photo journey has been such great inspiration.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Tw

T

The Kanaloa Lounge is magnificent! Its features and layout are sheer tiki artistry, something difficult for a mere engineer like myself to independently imagine...

-Tom

On 2011-06-26 23:32, Tikiwahine wrote:
Incredible room Slacks!! Great job!!

At the end of July I'm driving across the country en route to my new home in southern Ontario. I'll be spending two nights in Calgary. Any chance I could have a first hand peek at the fabulous Kanaloa Lounge? We're resurrecting the Huki Lounge in our new rumpus room, and your photo journey has been such great inspiration.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Tw

Yeah. It'd be cool to have you here TW. I just hope I'm in town when you are. Shoot me a PM when you get the dates figured out.

Southern Ontario huh? There's no palm trees there...

Hey, Sweet Daddy T., you up for a little party crashing down south at the end of July...

Yeaah. That could prolly work.

Off the hook. Nice job on all the details... a real labor of love. Now for that cocktail!

PP

im at a loss for words!!! other than thats so cool!!! and I hate you!! lol!!! i wish i had 1/100 of your talent!! sadley Im terrible with hand tools!!! wish i could hire you to build me one half as cool!!

You rock!!

paul

PP

also, could you post what type of paints you used for the floors as well as your lava wall, if you already did sorry I was so busy looking at the great photos and drooling!!! love your work! You are truely a Master Craftsman!!!!

so jelous!!

:)
paul

On 2011-07-04 09:14, Pele Paul wrote:
also, could you post what type of paints you used for the floors as well as your lava wall, if you already did sorry I was so busy looking at the great photos and drooling!!! love your work! You are truely a Master Craftsman!!!!

so jelous!!

:)
paul

Hmm, not sure of the brand names of the paint, but i just walked into my local hardware store and asked them about latex paint for cement floors. The lava wall uses plain ol' latex house paint ( i bought it as a mistint)...I hope that helps.

Slacks, the place is lookin amazing! how are those teleportation pods comin so i can get up there for a drink and a mug?

Tikiwahine & family passing through Calgary this weekend was an excuse for Alberta TC Ohana to gather at the fabulous Kanaloa Lounge.

L to R: Yours truly, Slacks Ferret, Tikiwahine & Logan, Mr. & Mrs. Brandomoai, Tiki A. Moaikingbird.

with the addition of Mr. Tikiwahine (DrunkenMunkey if I remember correctly) & Jasmine (asleep, not shy).

We had a great time, and the bar looks even more amazing in person! Thanks for hosting, Slacks!

T'was great to have you folks over. Good to see Tikiwahine again (and meet her husband and little ones) and to finally meet Brandomoai (and his Mrs.). Gary and Mike...not so much. :wink: I keed I keed!

Holy hell, slacks. I'd seen your progress pics over the years and now I am totally blown away by how beautiful your home bar is! Your pics during the construction really showcase the amount of work you put into your hideaway and your artistic eye to the attention to detail and placement of your collections. (that mural is AMAZING!). Totally awesome. Like everyone has said, there is so much tikiness that emanates from the pictures, I can only imagine how impressive it must be in person.

Very inspiring, to say the least!

Holy WOW!

What an amazing project. I've begun gathering ideas for a home bar project and yours is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

The painting of the concrete floor is brilliant. Do you find the floor too cold (I'm assuming it's in the basement)?

On 2011-08-25 18:29, Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi wrote:
Do you find the floor too cold (I'm assuming it's in the basement)?

Good question.

Sometimes, yes. My basement is a cooler space than the rest of the house. I get around it by wearing slippers. Guests have to suffer through it, or until they get to the bamboo rug. I've been considerin' having cheap guest slippers (Not flip flops) with a beach-y theme, but I haven't really found any that slip-on that would suit my vision yet.

Thanks for posting Slacks, your bar is truly amazing & a wonderful inspiration!

Thank you so much for hosting a wonderful evening! Logan's 'new' Happy Apple is one of his favorite toys :D

Hey Folks. Just wanted to add a few photos of the new "A-Frame-like" entrance and the bamboo curtain that runs along the hallway to the entrance of the Kanaloa Lounge:

This is the same bamboo-print curtain the MadDogMike alerted me towards in another thread.

There's still a bunch o' work to be done on the "entrance experience" to the lounge (gawd... that sounds kinda lame), but these were two large projects towards getting to the goal.

Mahalla fer lookin'

K

Sweeeeet!!

H

Such an awesome home bar!!! Well done, it was worth all the effort you put in. Very inspiring!

niiice, slax!

you know, you could run a floor heating coil on the floor and pour a topping slab over it - or just put down sand ;D

On 2012-05-30 05:52, Johnny Dollar wrote:
niiice, slax!

you know, you could run a floor heating coil on the floor and pour a topping slab over it - or just put down sand ;D

Thanks J$!

True about the floor, but it's really not an issue for me. The basement is pretty well insulated. I find it's perfectly acceptable/livable, even in the dead of Winter. Stone (concrete) gets cold, y'know?

On 2012-05-30 00:50, harro wrote:
Such an awesome home bar!!! Well done, it was worth all the effort you put in. Very inspiring!

Thanks Harro! You've motivated me to post a few new pics soon! Hello!

Holy moly, what a bar!

I'll just chime in and repeat what everyone has said. Magnificient work! I am in awe. Makes me want to strive to do 1/10 as good with our bar.

The entrance is great too! Love the A frame.

Hello, my name is Slacks and I put a television in my home tiki bar...I wanted to have the flexibilty to watch movies in my basement, or be able to find another TV when my kids or wife are dominating the one upstairs.

...now before you go grab your pitchforks, hear me out! I think there can be ways in which a TV can "work" in a tiki bar. Ways in which it might even be...dare I say it?...an asset! Sure, one could just play surf videos (or any other beachy-themed video)... but I also wanted to have it disguised (and even contribute to the atmosphere) when I was entertaining folks in the bar.

So here's what I came up with:

It's a removable tiki head that goes over the TV. When I have folks over, I can just place the head on the TV and play a video. I found a Blue-Ray set on eBay that has fireplaces, aquariums, etc.

Things to consider if you do this: make the head as lightweight as possible. I used the box and packing styrofoam that the TV came with. And I added more foam to it. I also had to keep over-heating issues in mind.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I think I still want to tinker with reshaping the head a little. It just seems too "boxy".

Here's a bad photo of it with the fireplace video:

Thoughts?

I'm gonna add this to the TV in a tiki bar thread too...

Slacks nails it!

I dunno Slacks, thin edge of the wedge. What next - neon beer signs? Jello shots? Party store piñatas?

Nah, pretty clever. I wouldn't have even bothered with a sheath. It's your home, do what you like. That's this man's opinion.

Slacks it looks fab and love the TV cover. Let your freak flag fly and do what you want in your own space...you wild man!!!

Super sweet...love the mural and rock wall

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 12:03 PM

Mr. Ferret, The Kanaloa Lounge is unbelievably cool! I love everything about it. Great job eh :wink:

I´m about to put a tv in my tiki room as well, so i can use it as a second living room.

I like your idea with the removable head... Great!

It looks good good...keep it

Some new pics to highlight some recent updates:

New puffer lamp, new orange float lamp (that my buddy the glassblower made for me), and a new "ceramic as bamboo" lamp (that my co-worker found for me)...

Another angle of the lamps.

The bar with a top green leafy garland and mo' pretty flowers.

Soon I'm gonna be installing a waterfall/fountain feature in the front angled-corner alcove of the bar (But it's hard to see in this photo).I really have very little idea what I'm doing, so I'll try to post photo updates as I go...

Q
Q-tiki posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 9:03 AM

Slacks,

The Kanaloa lounge just keeps getting better and better. Fantastic job!

Keep up the good work and please keep posting.

Cheers and Aloha,
Q

BK

What an amazing space. The moon & the fish tank are just great details.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-03-10 07:19 ]

W

Thanks for the pictures! They are great, I could just sit in the chair in the first two for hours and hours.

Mahalo!
Chris

Mahalos for all the nice replies folks! Here's a better look at the new "ceramic as Bamboo" lamp I recently received:

Here's a better shot of the Alcove that I'll be turning into a waterfall/fountain soon:

Here's a $#!++Y concept sketch done in MS Paint:

Mahalos!

W

Cool lamp! Waiting for the waterfall/fountain to commence.

Chris

I like your water feature idea. Let me know if you need any help. I can, uh... supervise. And drink.

Slacks,
I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but wow, great job man. Fantastic work! You've got my wheels turning now after seeing your inovations. Truley awe inspiring!

Thanks for a close up of that ceramic bamboo lamp...very nice!!!

Seeing your tiki palace makes the mug you gave us that much more special. Wonderful place, Wendy

PP

im stealing your lava idea and finishing my water feature!!! thanks and oh I may just do my patio the same as your floor too!!! my fav tiki bar to date!!

Dig.

Friggin' AMAZING.

Now that's what I calls a tiki bar!!! Hot damn pour me a Mai Tai and wax my surfboard I'll be there shortly.

Congrats on the truly great work.

Thanks for the kind replies. I spend far too much time thinking about this room so it's nice to know some folks appreciate my efforts.

Here are a few more updates:

I was inspired to paint the wooden mouldings around my window and on my floor base-boards after having seen how well it worked for Polynesian Pop (among others). Apologies for the crappy iPhone photos:

Added another shelf for mugs above my Witco Outrigger:

And I'm changing the face of the tiki that sits over my TV set. I hated how boxy it was. I also think the finish was all wrong. This is still in progress:

That's all for now!

Mahalo fer lookin'

D
Dagg posted on Wed, May 22, 2013 10:17 AM

That looks way better already!

cool

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies