Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2010 Roll Call

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies

On 2010-05-08 06:56, OliverTwist wrote:

On 2010-05-06 16:00, Bohemiann wrote:
Honestly Oliver, Christie has so many cool things lined up I would not want to miss any of it or take anyone away from the SANCTIONED Hukilau venue, events, or vendors. I love Hukilau and it's continued existence, and success will rely on our participation and patronage.

Long Live HUKILAU !

Hey I understand, I wasn't intending to schedule this during the weekend activities though, more of a pre or post-fest party for those of us weekenders who will still be around the Ft. Lauderdale area. I did reach out to Christie though to ask if she'd be interested in making it an official extention of this year's 'Lau but I'm sure her plate's more than full with the fast approaching dates! I'll be in Miami fromt he 5th on and would like to check it out, looks pretty neat and thought it might be fun.

Cheers

O.T.

What is a tentative time you had in mind for this excursion?

B

On 2010-05-07 15:19, robotiki wrote:

On 2010-05-07 03:22, Bohemiann wrote:
Looking forward to meeting all of you guys Robo

We have a rum barrel with yer name on it for that nifty palm log you gave us at the carving fest!

Awesome.... I would love to see pics of how it turned out. I have not even looked at the images I shot yet. TikiKiliki and I scouted the Cabana a bit today and I heard a little heads up on your room plans. Glad I am not competing against ya ! This years Crawl is going to be the best EVAH !

Zero 1 month and counting!!!

F
frizz posted on Tue, May 11, 2010 8:24 PM

Steve and Rhonda will be there. This will be our first Hukilau. We're counting the days and looking forward to seeing you guys.

[ Edited by: frizz 2010-05-11 20:28 ]

We're in, although not very likely to be seen in the same place at the same time (AND hope we don't need separate Aloha Passes!)

On 2010-05-08 13:28, Bohemiann wrote:

On 2010-05-07 15:19, robotiki wrote:

On 2010-05-07 03:22, Bohemiann wrote:
Looking forward to meeting all of you guys Robo

We have a rum barrel with yer name on it for that nifty palm log you gave us at the carving fest!

Awesome.... I would love to see pics of how it turned out. I have not even looked at the images I shot yet. TikiKiliki and I scouted the Cabana a bit today and I heard a little heads up on your room plans. Glad I am not competing against ya ! This years Crawl is going to be the best EVAH !

A picture of the Tiki we carved over at your place was on your thread and should be there still if Robotiki didn't remove it. Yes, if you wish a "rum barrel" it's on us. I'll have the stuff to make one.

T

These guys will be there too...

On 2010-05-13 15:05, Tikigoob wrote:
These guys will be there too...

Splendid. I'll pack extra Spandex!

I will be there, with many other friends from Milwaukee! Is anyone else volunteering? I will be helping out at the Thursday night challenge, and registration on Friday.

My boyfriend and I will be there! We can't wait for the room crawl! So excited to see everyone again :)

If you need to update your wardrobe for the Hukilau, I work part time in a vintage consignment boutique in Tequesta, FL (Palm Beach County) called Circa Vintage. We have some great vintage Hawaiian clothing, so stop on by :)

HAROLD GOLEN GALLERY

presents: POLYBLEND

at: HUKILAU 2010

haroldgolengallery.com

Lisa Petrucci
Miss Menehune, 2010
Liquid Acrylic and Envirotex on Wood
14 x 8 inches
$1000

haroldgolengallery.com

Tamara and I will be there. This will be our 5th event! We will be staying at the Mar, since the Cabana filled up so soon. Also, we will be helping Sister -in-law(Renee)with her vending(Buried Treasures). I hope the Mai Kai has tiki mugs you can purchase with your drinks this year. Mahalo

DRINKS AT THE MAI-KAI

Parise's New Print
Pre-order before they sell out at the Hukialu, like last year!
Signed prints are:

8x10 - $40
11.5 x17 - $80

Contact Harold at [email protected]
or 305-989-3359

Has anyone purchased and received their fantabulous Hukilau shirt? I purchased mine on the Hukilau website about three weeks ago...selected to have it shipped, but have not yet received my shirt. I was really hoping to wear mine on stage Saturday night at my next gig. I guess I'll just have to perform nekkid!

K

I think this is a picture of the Color Magick Kid, and Kiki Tiki being served by Bird Girl!
You know who you are.....
Hukilau here we come!

On 2010-05-24 14:21, HAROLDGOLENGALLERY wrote:

DRINKS AT THE MAI-KAI

Parise's New Print
Pre-order before they sell out at the Hukialu, like last year!
Signed prints are:

8x10 - $40
11.5 x17 - $80

Contact Harold at [email protected]
or 305-989-3359

That's a big 10-4, good buddy. It'll be the 8th consecutive trip to "the big one" for me...and with The Woggles (by the pool, no less!!!)and The Neanderthals along with all the great others on the bill, the renewed vigor of the Mai Kai, Shag, the Bum, the fantstic room crawl, anybody'd be a fool not to pull out all the stops to make this one!!

If you are going to the mai Kai tonight for the Pre-Hukilau Party be aware...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-dui-memorial-holiday-enforcement-20100528,0,2260401.story

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2010-05-28 11:47 ]

T

Yay Woogles!!

John Kissee
KOZMIK KAI
Canvas Print on Wood
11" x 14"
$75

Scott Scheidly
THE SOPHISTICATE
Acrylic on Board

Tiger Lily and myself will be up in there amongst ye.

!uSathane omhlophe umthondo omkhulu!

[ Edited by: White Devil 2010-05-31 14:04 ]

[ Edited by: White Devil 2010-05-31 14:06 ]

P

i may drop by. it's on my way.

One week to go! I tingle.

I will be back for my second Hukilau this year. This time I am bringing my wife as well. Can't wait.

TikiBob and I will be there again this year. Here's a photo of us from the Sacramento Home Tiki Bar Crawl last October. We're at The Keno Kai, the beautiful home of TikiMookie.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2010 10:40 AM

I take it there's only five California TC'rs attending Hukilau this year? :roll:

If so, it would be reasonable to suggest we try to get together at some point in Florida for a group photo?

I know, better yet - share a Mai Tai at the Mai Kai? :)

See everyone next week! G

TikiG,
Sounds like a great idea to me. So, the 5 I count are you, me, TikiBob (though technically not from CA), Humu, and Trott. Any others from down south?
Brenda

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-10-19 13:25 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2010 4:20 PM

Oh yeah - what was I thinkin'?

The Haywards are looking forward to celebrating the one-year anniversary of our engagement at Hukilau 2009! We were married on March 7, at The Mai-Kai (of course).

Jim and Susan Hayward, aka Violetgirl

Hello, I've been local for the last couple years,about 5-10 min from the Mai Kai, and plan on making it this year, just got back from Costa Rica so I don't think I can swing the whole weekend, so I was wondering, is there anything I shouldn't miss?

I've been on this site on and off over the years under a few different names(I tend to forget passwords), being a surfer I've always loved the Polynesian culture and it's Tiki Gods, look forward to meeting some people that love it the same, that and a good rum drink!

KUNKFUTIKI - I don't mean to bury your post...and your question, but I just had to jump on here and say that I am looking forward to meeting the Tiki Nation this Thursday and this weekend. To paraphrase Kevin from the office, "this is going to be epic!"

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-05 16:45 ]

J

On 2010-06-05 15:48, KungFuTiki wrote:
Hello, I've been local for the last couple years,about 5-10 min from the Mai Kai, and plan on making it this year, just got back from Costa Rica so I don't think I can swing the whole weekend, so I was wondering, is there anything I shouldn't miss?!

Each night has its own unique character, so I'm not sure there's any one night you can point to as being 'the' night. I'm sure if ask 20 people, you'll find 20 different responses to which night they prefer (although that's rum-fuzzy math since it's not 20 nights long ;)

MIKE 'JETSETTER' JONES

[ Edited by: JETSETTER 2010-06-05 18:11 ]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-10-19 13:25 ]

I was just at the Mai Kai tonight with the wife and kids. Went for an early dinner as we have a 9 month old! Everything was great!

We have prior commitments so we will not be at the Hukilau but I am going to try my best to make it to the bazaar on Saturday afternoon. I hope to have my art there next year! I will most likely be wearing a t-shirt with this on it:

if anyone from TC wants to say "Hi"

Here's a couple of pics from tonight:

Fourteen hours in Lauderdale and haven't been to the Mai Kai yet :( Not even a stalkerish drive-by. Maybe I'll stay away and let he anticipation build!

Waiting in the airport now! This is the most excited I have ever been for the event!!

On 2010-06-05 18:18, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-06-05 15:48, KungFuTiki wrote:
...is there anything I shouldn't miss?

Wednesday night is the Un-Officially Official Kick-Off at the Mai Kai. Not so much for you as a local, but for the travelers this is the night you want to go to get pictures of the place. The Mai Kai will be all dolled up for the weekend, but you wont have quite as many people in your pictures (or in your way for pictures if you want some specific shot).

Thursday night is the Room Crawl and Bands. Best night for meeting people since everyone will be fresh and spritely having just arrived.

Friday is the 'big show' with the best bands. Best night for the music and to dance with everyone.

Saturday is the Mai Kai! Again, as a local the magic is reduced ever so slightly, however it is nice to see the place full of smiling faces and adoring fans.

Does that help?

Thank you it does, I'll pop in wednesday night and meet everybody, I'll be the guy that looks like a cross between Spicoli and kid rock, around what time?

Having the Mai Kai next door is great, I take all my friends that come in town there for at least a drink. I really hope to get down to Hollywood for the Polynesian festivals this summer also.

Thanks for the reply too jetsetter, sounds like there's a lot going on.

My wife and I will be attending our first Hukilau, fresh on the heels of our return from 2 ½ weeks on Oahu.

Since I am getting ready to try my hand at tiki carving, I am hoping to see it happen - and maybe pick a few brains…

T

We'll be driving down from Central Florida to our first Hukilau on Thursday; joining me will be the Pat Wahine (beloved spousal unit) and our friend from Los Angeles, Judy Wahine. The anticipation is building.... looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'll be attending and volunteering again this year :) I was hoping to have the '53 in legal running condition, but still got more to do on it. So, it looks like my '80 will make another trip :wink: I'll see if I can get a good parking spot!

Gotta finish up a few outfits - can't wait!

H
harro posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:16 PM

Are there any others making the trip from Europe? Even if so, we'll probably be the only Australian and Argentinian couple there so make sure you say hello and laugh at our funny accents (even though its ** you** guys with the accent)!!

H
harro posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:38 PM

Now fellow tikphiles please don't take offence in what i'm about to say next, as i've been waiting many years to attend an event like this and have all my event/seminar tickets at the ready for a non-stop action packed tiki weekend, but there is also this other lesser knowned event on at the same time which is trying to steal some of the Hukilau's glory... i refer to that little thing called the soccer WORLD CUP!!

Being an Australian (we're sport crazy), married to an Argentinian (they're soccer crazy), currently living in England (somewhat refined crazy), we are high on world cup fever anticipation and will be hoping to squeeze time in between the tiki freakout to watch some of the important matches. If anyone else is interested, these are some of the interesting ones:

Fri 10am (Miami time): South Africa v Mexico - opening match
Sat 10am " " : Argentina v Nigeria
Sat 14:30 " " : England v USA
Sun 14:30 " " : Australia v Germany

I know, I know, tiki and sport just doesn't mix... but this is the biggest event on the planet and only once every 4 years! Hopefully it will be on in the hotel bars and it would be great to share the atmosphere with some other Hukilau'ers?

H
harro posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:44 PM

Oh and if anyone is interested in joining us in taking our first glimpse of the majestic Mai Kai on Thursday before festivities kick off at the Cabana please let us know!! We'll be leaving from the Mar after checking in there, after arriving straight from London!

Aloha

Harro and Marcela (on honeymoon from our recent wedding :down: :down: )

K

Any other Bikram Yoga practitioners going to Hukilau??

The more you sweat the more you can drink.

The car is packed and ready to go. Can't wait to see old friends and meet some new ones! I know a certain lady who looks like Velma that owes me a dance, a mermaid that owes me a mai tai, and a redhead who owes me a pillow fight!
I finished up a few pottery tiki candle lanterns in time to bring them down to decorate the room with. They are for sale as well if anyone wants to stop by and pick one up...or at least come by and tell me what you think of them! They are $12 each if anyone is interested. Grab me and we will go to the room and get you one!
SouthBamaTiki

Which lady am I????

Love those candle holders!

Saw folks at the Mai-Kai tonight, things are already ON here in South Florida! Can't wait to see everyone!!

The "Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?" thread has come back to life. If anyone needs a little guidance, I've updated my all-encompassing list. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying all 46 drinks during Hukilau however (though apparently some have tried).

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29713&forum=1&start=last&38

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies