Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2010 Roll Call

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies

My car and trailer are waiting in the parking lot until after work then it's off on this grand adventure. Robotiki and I, after filling up our cars and strapping on whatever doesn't fit to the roof and sides tomorrow morning, have decided we are going to call ourselves the Sarasota Tikibillies!

Hurry up 4:30!

Is it Thursday yet?

Just moved some plans around and will be in attendance most of Saturday. I will be with my wife and 2 daughters (4 years old and 9 months) and again I will be wearing my TIKI GOD IS MOST AMUSED t-shirt of anyone want to say hi!

On 2010-06-07 15:38, harro wrote:
Now fellow tikphiles please don't take offence in what i'm about to say next, as i've been waiting many years to attend an event like this and have all my event/seminar tickets at the ready for a non-stop action packed tiki weekend, but there is also this other lesser knowned event on at the same time which is trying to steal some of the Hukilau's glory... i refer to that little thing called the soccer WORLD CUP!!

Being an Australian (we're sport crazy), married to an Argentinian (they're soccer crazy), currently living in England (somewhat refined crazy), we are high on world cup fever anticipation and will be hoping to squeeze time in between the tiki freakout to watch some of the important matches. If anyone else is interested, these are some of the interesting ones:

Fri 10am (Miami time): South Africa v Mexico - opening match
Sat 10am " " : Argentina v Nigeria
Sat 14:30 " " : England v USA
Sun 14:30 " " : Australia v Germany

I know, I know, tiki and sport just doesn't mix... but this is the biggest event on the planet and only once every 4 years! Hopefully it will be on in the hotel bars and it would be great to share the atmosphere with some other Hukilau'ers?

We also have a similar dilemma, The 24 Hours of LeMans (a historic endurance sportscar race) is set to run on Saturday. We have many friends in attendence in France and always enjoy watching this race...we just need to catch parts of it...like the start. Just need to find Speed on a hotel TV!

O

On 2010-06-07 15:38, harro wrote:
Now fellow tikphiles please don't take offence in what i'm about to say next, as i've been waiting many years to attend an event like this and have all my event/seminar tickets at the ready for a non-stop action packed tiki weekend, but there is also this other lesser knowned event on at the same time which is trying to steal some of the Hukilau's glory... i refer to that little thing called the soccer WORLD CUP!!

Being an Australian (we're sport crazy), married to an Argentinian (they're soccer crazy), currently living in England (somewhat refined crazy), we are high on world cup fever anticipation and will be hoping to squeeze time in between the tiki freakout to watch some of the important matches. If anyone else is interested, these are some of the interesting ones:

Fri 10am (Miami time): South Africa v Mexico - opening match
Sat 10am " " : Argentina v Nigeria
Sat 14:30 " " : England v USA
Sun 14:30 " " : Australia v Germany

I know, I know, tiki and sport just doesn't mix... but this is the biggest event on the planet and only once every 4 years! Hopefully it will be on in the hotel bars and it would be great to share the atmosphere with some other Hukilau'ers?

...don't sweat it there's always a contingent of west coast tikiphiles who disappear whenever the lakers are in the playoffs!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 9:55 PM

i'm going to bring a few pretty cool shirts that no longer fit. they seem to have shrunk a little in the past couple of years. they're very nice and in great condition. either rayon or cotton/barkcloth. i'd like to trade for cool stuff. i just hate to see them not be worn/shown.

let me know or hit me up at the bar . . . i mean chapel . . . er, water fountain . . .

The top 10 things I'm looking forward to at Hukilau 2010

1. Thursday's room crawl ("2010: A Cocktail Odyssey") and Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge, which I'll be hosting in the Bahia Cabana penthouse at midnight. See you there!

2. The Harold Golen Gallery's usual uber-cool art show, which premieres on Thursday night at the Bahia Mar. Oh, and Shag will be there!

3. Checking out The Woggles for the first time at the Cabana on Thursday night plus the annual return of The Intoxicators (and the Disasternauts?).

4. Adding to my collection of limited-edition Hukilau merch with the 2010 pendant, Shag Aloha Shirt and Munktiki Mug.

5. Browsing all the great vendors at the Tiki Treasures Bazaar at the Bahia Mar throughout the weekend.

6. Beachbum Berry's latest and greatest seminar at the Bahia Mar on Friday (those Bastards!)

7. Friday's main event at the Bahia Mar featuring The Neanderthals (members of Los Straitjackets), Sweet Hollywaiians (direct from Japan!), Stolen Idols (authentic Exotica) and Walk The Plank.

8. Saturday's main event at the Mai-Kai, one of the greatest places on Earth on its most festive night of the year. Happy hour, dinner, the great floor show and the Sweet Hollywaiians, The Intoxicators, Stolen Idols, Walk The Plank and The Bikini Beachcombers will all be performing.

9. Making new friends and hanging out with all the great Hukilau 'ohana.

10. Celebrating the one-year anniversary of my engagement to the beautiful Violetgirl, now better known as Susan Hayward.

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2010 1:10 AM

[i]
7. Adding to my collection of limited-edition Hukilau merch with the 2010 pendant, Shag Aloha Shirt and Munktiki Mug.

the guy who carved the original will be there. i bet you could get him to sign it to you personally . . . .

for a price . . . . .

mwah!
mwah!
mwah!
mwah!
mwah!

seriously, tom may be around somewhere.

i heard somebody may even be sporting the original sculpt. (from walnut)

1. Friday's main event at the Bahia Mar featuring The Neanderthals (members of Los Straitjackets), Sweet Hollywaiians (direct from Japan!), Stolen Idols (authentic Exotica) and Walk The Plank.

It hurts me to be missing this one! I love Los Straitjackets and can't make it Friday night!

T

Is there going to be anyone there carving tikis? I am gearing up to learn to carve and would like to see it done in person before I butcher a helpless chunk of palm tree.

Also if there are any carvers going that would like to chat, I would be willing to trade alcohol for useful information!!!

Yes I will be there with lots of little goodies (and some big ones too). Sorry I won't be carving - but I am always willing to trade bullsh*t for alcohol. See you there.

CA

i'll be there... i mean i was there.... awesome......

S

Anyone else stranded in Lauderdale due to Spirit Airlines?

17 hours of driving later, we are home.

T

Crazy Al,

Here's uncompromising evidence that you were indeed there. You were called by the King (King Kukulele, that is).

Loved the skull mug! Thanks for parting with one!

TikiTomD

Did we just have Hukilau? These last few days have been a wonderful blur!!!

R

Great time. Highlights were hosting a room crawl room, having Shag in our room, seeing the mermaid show at the Wreck and meeting Marina & Kami afterwards (te amo voce Kami!), The Neanderthals, and of course, the Mai Kai. Low points were my camera & ipod getting stolen and having to wear my prescription sunglasses at the Mai Kai because I misplaced my regular ones ( I couldn't see so well, but I looked cool anyhow...) We kept up the party last night here in Sarasota first by having a couple Mai Tai's at Trader Vics and then making more at home. Still some rum and mix left for tonight......

Kudos to Tiki Kiliki, Jetsetter and all the Hukilau staff for a great event.

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies