Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wanted-Games to play at a Tiki/Luau Party

Pages: 1 36 replies

M

I am almost ready to share my recently completed tikinesian room with all my freinds and neighbors. I've got the decor, I will have the drinks, I will take care of the food, and try to invite the right people. I feel like it would be fun to have an activity (not a limbo) to bring the group together for awhile.

Does anyone know of any games or such that were entertaining and appropriate for a tiki environment?

Thanks

Da Monkeyman

S

It's probably not right for this gathering, but as recently seen in another post...You can have a Lethal Luau

H

You can't go wrong with a killer game of Crisco Twister.

Twister always gets you laid.

M

Nevermind!!! If I would read all the posts more carefully I could conclude all this group does at parties is drink drink drink.

I would like to somehow provide a little engaging entertain for my guests or is that a stupid idea?

Nothing like an inflammatory email to get someones attention.

H

Sorry if I offended, but I don't see the connection between my flip 'killer game' reference and drinking -- your post just made me think of a song from a cd I'm listening to right now.

Anyway, I feel like I now owe you a legitimate game suggestion, but I can't think of any that wouldn't be corny. Maybe you could hire a local hula dancer to come and give a little lesson?

I was trying to think up some games for my tiki party last week as well. All I thought of was corny stuff as well. Some 3rd grade
game began to form in my mind, it was called
tiki tacky toa and played like, u guessed it, tic tac toe, but with those little colored playdo tikis that came out this spring. Anyone seen those?? There would be tiki and tacky(kitschy)prizes awarded as well. All of this was mental masturbation as
it ran thru my mind for all of 10 seconds and then I realized it was for 5 yr. olds and should instead be a drinking game where the loser has to take a shot or something..
While the winner keeps a prize. Everyone has to bring a prize and the game ends when all prizes are gone. Never did come up with anything good though... That lethal Luau looks like it could be fun, maybe u should try it.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki on 2003-05-01 22:34 ]

Edited to add footnote: Last year i sold my Tiki Tacky Toa idea to the Idaho lottery as a scratch ticket game i designed, I still retain rights to the name though, should be coming out this summer.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-05-15 22:04 ]

M

you'd have to ask my guests what they thought, but I liked the mini-low-cost-auction of tiki-nik-naks that we had. People brought things and it was a fun diversion. I also like giving prizes for tiki trivia.

Ooh! Maybe tiki pictionary? Lame? I don't know...

"It's a tiki! It's a..a..West..No! Bumatay!...No! It's baby fish mouth!"

-martin

I

I would suggest purchasing an old vintage boardgame, to recapture the feel of the late 50's - early 60's. E-Bay is the best place to search for these - there are a ton of old pop-culture themed games available.

Specifically tiki related, there is a series of Disney related games that first came out in the late 50's - one each for Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Fantasyland - and of course, the Adventureland Game with the Jungle Cruise boat proudly displayed on the cover.

There is also a Hawaiian Eye boardgame that came out in 1963 that has a large tiki on the cover. One game I've only seen pictures of is called 'KAPU' - it is a picture story card game of Hawaii, put out by the Polynesian Card company.

I don't own any of the specific ones listed above - they are likely to be a bit pricey, as they are definitely collectibles. But I do have many other games (James Bond themed, space travel games, old tv shows) that are fun to pull out.

The game that is most requested by visitors is one called 'What Shall I Be,' a 1966 career game targeted for girls, which only offers careers as a schoolteacher, model, actress, nurse, stewardess, etc.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2003-05-02 06:19 ]

You will be seeing a new game on the market soon. Tiki Tacky Toe. A retro mohogany tic tac toe board trimmed with Bamboo(thank you!) and the game pieces will be Tiki Farm shot glasses. You guessed it, looser drinks a shot!

This depends on how much spare time you have, and how handy you are with s/w like Word – but here’s something I did that was a lot of fun. I recently held an Exploitation Movie themed party and I put together a 10 question “Exploitation Quiz”.

I came up with a bunch of funny multiple-choice questions – mostly not too serious, with fairly obvious answers, printed copies, and handed them out to the guests to fill out.

About half way through the night we stopped the music and I read out the answers and gave out some prizes for best and worst score on the quiz. It was a laugh, and people enjoyed it.

Good Luck, and have fun!

M

Now thats what I am talking about. Thank you all for your ideas. I have come to expect that my fellow members of Tiki Central are helpful, genuine, high quality folks. I enjoy sarcasm but I sometimes need some legitimate input too.

Hopefully I will see some of you at the Palm Springs Event next weekend.

Da Monkeyman

I love games! How about Lei around the Moia. Yep, get the flower necklace around the Aku and the winner gets leid!
(Wink-wink y'all must of saw that one coming a mile away.)
How about a plastic pool filled with treats that you have to fish out with a bamboo fishing pole. Live mermaid optional.
With your skills monkeyman, I bet you could put together a world class goofy golf course. Games rule! Go ape! You the man! THE MONKEYMAN! Let the games begin.
Chongolio

What, are we all crazy?

LIMBO BABY!!!!

On 2003-05-01 18:11, Humuhumu wrote:
You can't go wrong with a killer game of Crisco Twister.

Does the crisco go on the players or on the playing surface?

C

I come up with these two, and all you need is a deck of cards with 4 Jokers for "Deck of Destiny" and some D&D style dice (availible at stores that sell gaming supplies) to play Random Tiki Drink.

Then have guests (who may not know tiki drinks all that well) basically make their own drink selections by random. If your bar is not huge, you may have to scale these games back but you will get the idea. (3d6 is the score from rolling a 6 sided dice 3 times)

Deck of Destiny
Random Tiki Drink (RTD)

Have fun.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-05-09 21:20 ]

How about the $1,000 Mai Tai Challenge?

It involves two bottles of rum, lots of limes and most likely a trip to the emergency room. A good time will be had by all.

OK, that's a joke, seriously though alcohol poisoning is no laughing matter and can strike at a frat party near you so be aware.

M

We always make games here to entertain our guests because it's fun to laugh at our drunk friends but also it makes the evening more memorable.

There's nothing like a good 3 shells game it's fun to see who has a good hand to play that you can be surprised by your friends. I also got some cheap magic tricks kits at the dollar store and 3 friends had 10 minutes to get ready and show the others their talents of magician. It was very fun. Receiving people over can be a lot of work so I usually make my friends entertain by supplying stuff.

Last year I had a spear throwing contest. HINT: have it first before people are really loaded then hide the spear.

On 2003-05-02 08:39, RevBambooBen wrote:
You will be seeing a new game on the market soon. Tiki Tacky Toe. A retro mohogany tic tac toe board trimmed with Bamboo(thank you!) and the game pieces will be Tiki Farm shot glasses. You guessed it, looser drinks a shot!

You should market a tiki shot glass checker set.
On Tiki Bar TV they played a game of tiki shot checkers one time and it looked pretty fun.
With your skills make you are the man to make it.

On 2006-05-12 09:56, pappythesailor wrote:
then hide the spear.

i thought that happened after folks are loaded

At our Boat Club Luau last year, we had a Tiki carving contest. We purchased 40 large zucchinis and asked everyone to bring a paring knife (but did not tell them why). We cut the bottom straight across so they would stand up. Most people left the skin on and just cut designs in the skin. We set a time limit of 15-20 minutes, and then lined them all up on the bar. There were so many great Tikis, it was hard to choose the three winners. This was NOT a Tiki group, and everyone had a great time with it! Good Luck!

Last year I had a spear throwing contest. HINT: have it first before people are really loaded then hide the spear.

Does anyone remember "lawn darts" or Jarts. A big heavy pointed dart, almost impossible to see when it was flying at you. I think they were removed from the market in the 1970s. You put down two hula-hoops on the ground and had two teams of drunken backyard picnic goers hurl these projectiles at the hoops and each other. I saw this game played hundreds of times and thankfully never saw anyone injured. I saw a few close calls myself and heard lots of people were injured with these things back in the day.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-05-16 04:49 ]

I love that zucchini idea! Gotta try that one. But hey, I find that when you get a group together with tropical drinks and good music you normally don't need any games to keep things moving... but here are a couple of things that always add to the fun:

For a large group first tell everyone they have to dress tropical and then have a contest for 'best tiki theme', 'sexiest', 'most creative', etc... and give some gag prizes. You'd be amazed at the outfits people come up with!

Also with a large group, if you have someone in the group who's artistic - get a set of body or face paints and have them as the designated body artist. Again, you'd be amazed at the festive antics that will follow, and everyone will want their pictures taken with their new tattoos!

Charades is a really popular game again but it's best with a small group.

A raffle adds excitement to a party. When people arrive, give them a raffle ticket and later in the evening have the raffle and award the prizes. For an adult group, adult novelties are a riot of course, but for something more G rated, Luau novelties from a party store are great too - and then there's always booze or tiki mugs, depending on your budget and who the guests are. Wheels of raffle tickets are usually availble at party stores.

If you are having food at the party, make it a pot luck! People love to participate and it's always fun to see what people bring - sometimes they get VERY creative... then again sometimes not! But it's always a surprise.

T

This was a big hit at our luau. I put some numbers on some shells and put the shells in a bowl. As each female guest arrived, they were asked to grab a shell. That number was also marked on a gift that was then given to the guest. The gifts varied from small trickets to large clothing items, most of which I bought online at the ABC Stores.
All The guys got Tiki bottle openers and calendars.
Tikiboy

got this on ebay yesterday---when & IF I throw a ohana party we will play this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7413093636

and it may end up being very BORING..but it looks COOL.

I am surprised that Humuhumu didn't come up with this one, at our last Luau, we set up a "photo booth" so our guests could have their picture taken ala "Tiki". I used props at hand, a large tiki carving, lots of tropical flowers, fake and gaudy of course, Tiki torches, and lots of Lei's, straw hats and a awful assortment of grass skirts and coconut bra's We used a digital camera with a good flash, suggest setting it up days ahead and fool around with it to get it right, we printed them on the spot, we had made before-hand, shell, sand and seaweed frames that we got at garage sales, we painted them to look like bamboo and then decorated. The whole thing, albeit had some hours involved was very cheap. We had them do the picture first thing to get them in the "mood" and they picked up their pictures right away. Who doesn't love to see themselves especially dressed up silly? Great crowd breaker especially for your non-tiki friends. One caveat, someone has to love doing the booth as they will be there all night. It's fun going over someones house and seeing the photo displayed proudly.
Here is a picture we took at a beach party photo booth,

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2006-05-16 21:43 ]

Another idea from Ebay... Tiki Bowling. I googled and couldn't find a listing for these, but I am sure they will start turning up somewhere soon!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9519573223&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• Myke

On 2006-05-15 12:17, Rev. Tiki wrote:
At our Boat Club Luau last year, we had a Tiki carving contest. We purchased 40 large zucchinis and asked everyone to bring a paring knife (but did not tell them why). We cut the bottom straight across so they would stand up. Most people left the skin on and just cut designs in the skin. We set a time limit of 15-20 minutes, and then lined them all up on the bar. There were so many great Tikis, it was hard to choose the three winners. This was NOT a Tiki group, and everyone had a great time with it! Good Luck!

This may be a good idea - sort of like a jack o'lantern carving contest.

Where does one get a suitable spear - toy store?

Last year I bought a
De-Bocce-Ry ball set at Spencer Gifts.

It's a cross between Bocce, and a drinking game!

I plan to try it out at my next get together!

I also have the Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard Shot Glass Checker Set, which I'm sure will get some use.

On 2006-05-18 17:49, christiki295 wrote:

Where does one get a suitable spear - toy store?

It was just a few pieces of bamboo. I gave them an edge on the scroll saw. Then, my friend, Nate drew a pig (he's artistic) on a box. Object: deliver lethal wound to pig. You can't throw bamboo very well or far and it all worked out great. Winner got a tiki mug from the legendary Kahiki, thus furthering T.A. (Tiki Awareness).

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 8:25 AM

I'm way into games, and love complicated design-your-own card games.

The easiest party game is "Who?". Just give everybody slips of paper (tiki cocktail napkins are cool)and have them write resonses to questions like 'what's your favorite place to vacation' or 'what's your favorite drink' or naughty stuff. Everybody answers the same question. After 10-20 questions, when everybody gets bored, toss them all into a hat and pull one at a time out. Everybody guesses who said it. Award points for the right ones and have a prize.

Another is to get a deck of cards you can wreck. Just write things that people have to do on each card, like "Hula like you are too drunk to Hula" or "do a fire dance" or "phone someone you know, say aloha then hang up". Then just play blackjack with the cards. To stay in the game, you have to do what the cards say.

Cammo
de Pineapple Poet

I don't usually like active games at a party, it is hard to hold your cocktail while running about. I like games that make all your guests interact with each other. This is especially good if you have different groups coming together, work friends and tiki friends mixing with neighborhood friends.

This is a twist on a game my Mom played at a hoity toity cocktail party. Each guest gets a piece of paper put on their back when they arrive. The other party had a famous persons name but a luau could have Polynesian themed people, places or things. Each guest has to move through the party asking 20 questions until they figure out who or what they are.

Kamehameha, Ukulele, Molokai, etc. You could even branch out into the other Polynesian islands.

Okole Maluna (bottoms up, Thanks Tiki Kiliki!)

Andy

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2006-05-25 14:29 ]

H

Not tiki per se, but thought to have originated in the Caribbean somewhere long ago is the "island ring toss" game. It's very simple and extremely addictive. I have one in my backyard and after a few hours of working on my computer, I'll go out and give it a few tosses and I'm usually there for many more tosses than I had planned on having. Here's a link to one that's for sale with a description of the rules and rumored origins. This one has JBuffetts name attached to it for some reason but make yer own, it's toooo easy and cost about 2 bucks and besides, Buffett makes enough money and had nothing to do with this game anyway. Even if it's too late to have at your party---do it anyway, you'll enjoy.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/161723632.html

http://www.biminiring.com/

On 2006-05-25 14:29, Chip and Andy wrote:
I don't usually like active games at a party, it is hard to hold your cocktail while running about.

I feel the same way.

Nevertheless, your suggestion is ingenious, it might be easier to make the choices more easy and skip the prepared questions. Maybe put the name on one end of the plastic lei. Give a door prize to those who are first to figure it out.

Of course, then what is a good door prize, Trader Vics mai-tai mix - some of your cast off tiki mugs?

On 2006-05-25 14:29, Chip and Andy wrote:

I like games that make all your guests interact with each other.

Spin the pineapple.

A version was described in Michner's South Pacific.

Pages: 1 36 replies